Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2017, 09:10   #121
h14
BHPian

Re: Code6'd Fiat Linea MJD: 100,000 kms & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
Sounds dumb, what is relative measurement of 100 ml on the oil stick?
Approx 1 liter is shown on the dip stick at the max level. So calculate accordingly. Better way is to measure how many ml you are adding to top up to max level.

Quote:
after the top up, I did another 8k and the oil has reduced by say a centimeter. The stick measures oil just above the half mark. Have to get it checked.
Half mark can be calculated as say 500ml approx. 500ml/8000kms is in the normal range. Since your car is relatively new, I don't see even the pcv failing. Could be the oil separator hose which could have cracked and might result in minor leak if any. But then the reduction in your car is nothing to worry. The consumption depends on the climatic conditions to the driving style as well.

Quote:
2. I noticed that you have a floor covered with black sheet (The same which I have). How do you make the mats stick to the sheet?
Use velcro. Paste one side of the velcro to the floor pvc mat and stitch the other side to the removable mat. Its important that you stitch and do not paste as pasting will make it difficult to remove whenever you want to clean/dust it.
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 07:17   #122
BHPian

The side profile is undoubtedly the best angle to see the Linea in. A few pics of my Linea. A very detailed log u have maintained of your ownership. I bought this Linea Classic Plus in Nov 2016 and it will be due for its first checkup at 5000 kms in a month or two. I am looking for your inputs on how to pimp up the car.

1. The car came with manual central locking. Getting the remote one installed in the first service.
2. I have control on only the front two power windows from the driver's side. Will get the all 4 control switch on the drivers side.
3. Fog lamps
4. Chrome? In a dilemma. The car is already silver in color. I am in 2 minds about getting it done. Adding chrome will give a classy and more upmarket feel. I also feel let me delay it for a year or two till i get bored of the current avatar and give it a midlife makeover.
5. Seat covers are company ones, biege and fabric. Family asking me to get seat covers. I feel add on seat covers even the ones made by Fiat wont fit as great as the company fit. I plan to drop this. Will it lead to the seat covers getting soiled over a period of time and look ugly?
6. I am badly in need for atleast 2 bottle holders. Ideas on how it can be done? My Ford Fiesta easily accommodates 4 1 litre bottles in the front 2 doors.
7. The dealer gave me foot mats with Linea written over them. He admitted they are not Fiat genuine. They keep moving from the place they are supposed to be in. Cost of getting Fiat genuine ones?
8. I already got the spare wheel upgraded to 175 from the company given 165. I didn't want to restrict speeds to 80 kmph after a tyre change and remind myself to change soon.
9. Is it possible to upgrade the manual ac to auto ac?
Attached Thumbnails
Code6'd Fiat Linea MJD: 100,000 kms & counting!-img_20170122_123536.jpg  

Code6'd Fiat Linea MJD: 100,000 kms & counting!-img_20170122_123523.jpg  

Code6'd Fiat Linea MJD: 100,000 kms & counting!-img_20170122_123512.jpg  

Last edited by bharatbits : 28th February 2017 at 07:33.
Old 18th March 2017, 16:30   #123
BHPian

Hello All,

Sorry for late update. I have changed the Oil separator and the pipe. Now it has been 3000 KM after the oil separator changed. My dip stick shows very low oil when i checked. only a 15 % of the dip stick has oil. So i think my vehicles issue is not related to oil separator.
So what can else be wrong with my vehicle. I have no power loss of any kind or any black or white smoke.
I will be taking vehicle to trivandrum motors on 25th march. Do share your thoughts. I have no oil leakage any where. I have seen level drop in coolant. i think thats normal since i have it from beginning.
Old 18th March 2017, 18:24   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryms
wow thank you for sharing all your experiences. I am also facing the oil consumption issue from 80k and now Linea has crossed 105000. I have asked many mechanics but no one had any clue except they all say that the issue is due to piston rings or due to faulty turbo. both cases are ruled out by me since there is nothing concrete evidence. So the PCV valve (oil separator) is the one i may go and replace. Thanks for sharing your experience.
If possible can you share some pictures where the PCV valve is situated in Linea. This will be an added advantage for me.
Oil consumption in the fiat mjd is a feature and not a bug. . I had a substantial problem after 65k on the odo in my pre owned Linea. I was using fully synthetic oil. My issue has been resolved to a large extent by moving to a CI4 or higher grade mineral oil. VW and skoda and Fiat are known to have this problem my mechanics around my area. That's why they recommend oil change every six months with cheaper mineral oil. The guy I bought it from also had a 6 month oil change schedule.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/82....html?page=208

Manuals on foreign sites mention this as a normal thing. In India it is seen as poor customer experience so ASS hides the fact.

If there's no loss of power, no need to worry about something that's not broken.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 15:51   #125
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryms View Post
Hello All,

Sorry for late update. I have changed the Oil separator and the pipe. Now it has been 3000 KM after the oil separator changed. My dip stick shows very low oil when i checked. only a 15 % of the dip stick has oil. So i think my vehicles issue is not related to oil separator.
So what can else be wrong with my vehicle. I have no power loss of any kind or any black or white smoke.
I will be taking vehicle to trivandrum motors on 25th march. Do share your thoughts. I have no oil leakage any where. I have seen level drop in coolant. i think thats normal since i have it from beginning.
Do you mean less than half mark for a mere 3000kms? Can you share a picture of the dip stick? Was oil drained and fresh oil used post the oil separator change or was only topup done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Oil consumption in the fiat mjd is a feature and not a bug. . I had a substantial problem after 65k on the odo in my pre owned Linea. I was using fully synthetic oil. My issue has been resolved to a large extent by moving to a CI4 or higher grade mineral oil. VW and skoda and Fiat are known to have this problem my mechanics around my area. That's why they recommend oil change every six months with cheaper mineral oil. The guy I bought it from also had a 6 month oil change schedule.

Manuals on foreign sites mention this as a normal thing. In India it is seen as poor customer experience so ASS hides the fact.

If there's no loss of power, no need to worry about something that's not broken.
Valid point you have mentioned, but whatever harryms claims as consumption looks like a little too much. And on the CI4 mineral that you have switched over to, what oil are you using and how happy are you with them? I believe CI4 mineral will be 15w40 if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post

1. The car came with manual central locking. Getting the remote one installed in the first service.
2. I have control on only the front two power windows from the driver's side. Will get the all 4 control switch on the drivers side.
3. Fog lamps
4. Chrome? In a dilemma. The car is already silver in color. I am in 2 minds about getting it done. Adding chrome will give a classy and more upmarket feel. I also feel let me delay it for a year or two till i get bored of the current avatar and give it a midlife makeover.
5. Seat covers are company ones, biege and fabric. Family asking me to get seat covers. I feel add on seat covers even the ones made by Fiat wont fit as great as the company fit. I plan to drop this. Will it lead to the seat covers getting soiled over a period of time and look ugly?
6. I am badly in need for atleast 2 bottle holders. Ideas on how it can be done? My Ford Fiesta easily accommodates 4 1 litre bottles in the front 2 doors.
7. The dealer gave me foot mats with Linea written over them. He admitted they are not Fiat genuine. They keep moving from the place they are supposed to be in. Cost of getting Fiat genuine ones?
8. I already got the spare wheel upgraded to 175 from the company given 165. I didn't want to restrict speeds to 80 kmph after a tyre change and remind myself to change soon.
9. Is it possible to upgrade the manual ac to auto ac?
Points 1 to 4, I see no issues
For seat covers, I will strongly recommend to get custom fabric/art-leather/leather based on your budget.
Bottle holders, only way is to source one of those slim bottles. Not much can be done.
Floor mats, you have 2 options. Either get better ones which come with spike like base/velcro which will hold onto the carpet or the cheaper way is to buy velcro and stitch/paste under the cut mats so that it will hold on to the carpet.
Point 9, definitely not possible!

Last edited by h14 : 20th March 2017 at 15:54.
Old 20th March 2017, 16:01   #126
BHPian

yes 3000 KM the dipstick is nearly empty. I cant get a pic for you now. only 25% of the dipstick is having oil. this was the same effect what i faced before.

I have not changed the oil after changing the oil separator. Does this have an impact?
Old 20th March 2017, 16:33   #127
h14
BHPian

Quote:
I have not changed the oil after changing the oil separator. Does this have an impact?
No impact. But this question was to understand if oil was topped up to max level post the separator change and that you had checked the level?
Old 21st March 2017, 13:25   #128
BHPian

Yes the oil was topped up and it was in max level. but now only 25% of oil is shown in dip stick. That is why i suspect the change of oil separator did not solve the issue. i will be taking the car for service on Saturday at FASS.
Old 30th March 2017, 09:40   #129
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you for your reply. The issue started for me after I switched the oil to Mobil Delvac 1 SAE 5W-40 when the odo was 85,000 KM. Till then I was using the original fiat recommended oil from ASS. While I was in stock synthetic oil there was consumption of oil but only about 800ml @ 15000 KM. This is normal according to the manufacturer.

I took my car to the fiat summer camp. They also did not find anything wrong with my car. So my option is to switch back to the original oil which Fiat recommends and see if it solves my issue.

In my uncles skoda rapid too has oil consumption issue but about 800ml @ 10000 KM.

I will update you once i have changed my oil back to original Selenia WR| 5W-40.

Thanks

Last edited by harryms : 30th March 2017 at 09:42.
Old 30th March 2017, 11:43   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oil consumption in the fiat mjd is a feature and not a bug. . I had a substantial problem after 65k on the odo in my pre owned Linea. I was using fully synthetic oil. My issue has been resolved to a large extent by moving to a CI4 or higher grade mineral oil. VW and skoda and Fiat are known to have this problem my mechanics around my area.

I feel this is not true. Infact MJD engines have so accurate tolerances that the oil levels never drop. We have many TFI members and no one has complained about oil loss. My Linea has done 85k and never ever i have faced oil loss issue, not even 200 ml. I also have a Vista done 3.5 lacs+ and never the oil levels have dropped. I have made sure i regularly change oil at given intervals.

Yes we have a vento and oil levels drop drastically , 800 ml approx every 10k kms. Same with my friends superb and jetta.
Old 30th March 2017, 11:48   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
My Linea has done 85k and never ever i have faced oil loss issue, not even 200 ml.
Same here for my Punto that has done 140k kms.

I have been using the same engine oil from FASS, but sticking to 10k kms service intervals. No drop in oil has been observed till date, and I hope that continues.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 16:59   #132
h14
BHPian

Quote:
I will update you once i have changed my oil back to original Selenia WR| 5W-40.
Thanks
Sure, do keep us posted. This was the same I did before changing the oil separator and the reduction was observed in Selenia too and then only changed. So your case seems different and will be interesting to know your observations once you switch back to Selenia.
Old 27th April 2017, 14:18   #133
h14
BHPian

The odo now stands at 1,08,404 kms. Some updates over the past few weeks:

Service

Got the oil, oil filter and ac filter changed at True Sai on March 31st with odo at 105559.

AC Filter - 232
Drain Plug - 98
Oil (Selena) - 1920
Oil Filter - 432
Labor - 1315

Since then it was some continuous highway runs on all weekends in April.

Breather hose issue:

On April 15th, I observed engine oil leaking. The quantum was high and so headed to Mahindra First choice near my house in Coimbatore. They checked it up quickly and confirmed it was the small breather hose. They sourced the part from outside and fixed the issue in a matter of few hours.

Hose - Rs.17
Labor - Rs. 171

Code6'd Fiat Linea MJD: 100,000 kms & counting!-p_20170415_171937_1_p_1.jpg

Apart from this there has been no issues. Oil levels remain fine as well.

Some random trip stats over the past few weeks.

One week of Bangalore City Driving

Code6'd Fiat Linea MJD: 100,000 kms & counting!-20170319_200436.jpg

Coimbatore to Bangalore

Code6'd Fiat Linea MJD: 100,000 kms & counting!-20170403_083525.jpg

Bangalore to Coimbatore (The best FE in 6+ yrs of ownership!)

Code6'd Fiat Linea MJD: 100,000 kms & counting!-20170414_090512.jpg

Bangalore to Coimbatore

Code6'd Fiat Linea MJD: 100,000 kms & counting!-20170422_002352.jpg

Coimbatore to Bangalore

Code6'd Fiat Linea MJD: 100,000 kms & counting!-20170424_093923.jpg

The last 2 pics denote that the avg these days have settled at a constant 20+ for avg speed of 80 as well as 60! These stats are surprising to me as well.

En-route Vellore in both the Linea's

Code6'd Fiat Linea MJD: 100,000 kms & counting!-p_20170408_114625_1_p.jpg

Code6'd Fiat Linea MJD: 100,000 kms & counting!-p_20170408_114758_1_p.jpg

At Stanmore Bunglow, Valparai

Code6'd Fiat Linea MJD: 100,000 kms & counting!-p_20170422_150250_1_p.jpg
Old 2nd June 2017, 17:38   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Before going into other details, see how much is reducing. 100ml per 1000kms is termed normal by FIAT. So if its more then plan other actions.
With Stock Selenia oil changed in Feb 2017, I have so far completed 3000Km and still monitoring. From the stick i do not see a reduction.

As i said i m still monitoring. Till 5k if there is no substantial reduction nothing to worry right ?

Shall i change oil in 5k only? as after 3000km the engine has already lost its smoothness a bit.

Note: One more observation i had when i visited ramkay Fiat Service station, we opened & checked stick levels of 5 different punto's n Linea's (All Diesel ones) and saw that all the five of them never had oil in max level. they were either 3/4 or above 3/4. None till the Max level.
Old 2nd June 2017, 22:42   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post

One week of Bangalore City Driving

Attachment 1633798

100 k on a Fiat is a Breeze. My Punto has 104k and feels like it will last another 100 k. Absolute gem. Wish Fiat was a little more serious about our market.

That's Bangalore notorious traffic for you. Every reading on your MID is out of what you will experience , except for the outside temperature. 28 degree C in the peak of summer. That's lovely Bangalore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks