Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2011, 16:22   #691
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Ahhh there you are dot - getting errr...warmed up to the subject of temperatures I notice !
warm thoughts are always more welcome than cold ones I guess.

Quote:
I guess the temperature reading that you are referring to is the one of the climate control - the one that Nils was ref to was the one on the MID.
Do the two work in unision ? Meaning is the CC running somehow controlled by the MID temp sensor ? Or do they have a common sensor ?
What I was talking about is the MID temperature readout, then subsequent manual readjustment of CC by my fingers. Of course, as you know, they are connected.

Lets say you set the CC to 24C and outside temperature, as shown by MID is 23C, the CC will try to adjust interior temp by switching on heater.
Again lets say CC is set at 24C and outside (MID readout) is 26C. AC will blow mildly cold air, not very comfortable. In that case one needs to set the CC at 23 or lower.
What I found is only when there is at least 4 degC difference between MID readout and CC set, the AC sends in nice cold and comfy air.

Last edited by dot : 31st May 2011 at 16:23.
Old 31st May 2011, 16:43   #692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
1.warm thoughts are always more welcome than cold ones I guess.

2. What I was talking about is the MID temperature readout, then subsequent manual readjustment of CC by my fingers. Of course, as you know, they are connected.

Lets say you set the CC to 24C and outside temperature, as shown by MID is 23C, the CC will try to adjust interior temp by switching on heater.
Again lets say CC is set at 24C and outside (MID readout) is 26C. AC will blow mildly cold air, not very comfortable. In that case one needs to set the CC at 23 or lower.
What I found is only when there is at least 4 degC difference between MID readout and CC set, the AC sends in nice cold and comfy air.
1. Ahhh...that depends on who is thinking warmly !

2. I was under the impression that the MID and the CC had two independent sensors. Because the CC sensor would be measuring the temp inside the cabin and the MID sensor would be measuring the temp in the world outside.
Old 31st May 2011, 17:16   #693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian

1. Ahhh...that depends on who is thinking warmly !

2. I was under the impression that the MID and the CC had two independent sensors. Because the CC sensor would be measuring the temp inside the cabin and the MID sensor would be measuring the temp in the world outside.
Sounds logical. How can the same sensor measure the outside temp and cabin temp ? Location of the sensors should be different as well or is there any such location in the car where both the temps can be measured ? Additionally what would be the time interval between each measurement of cabin and outside temps?
Old 31st May 2011, 17:27   #694
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was under the impression that the MID and the CC had two independent sensors. Because the CC sensor would be measuring the temp inside the cabin and the MID sensor would be measuring the temp in the world outside.
Here is an article that I found by a quick search

Climate Control - how it works
Old 31st May 2011, 17:54   #695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Sounds logical. How can the same sensor measure the outside temp and cabin temp ? Location of the sensors should be different as well or is there any such location in the car where both the temps can be measured ? Additionally what would be the time interval between each measurement of cabin and outside temps?
Quote:
Here is an article that I found by a quick search

Climate Control - how it works
Hi F150 & dot,
That Ford Scorpio site beautifully describes it - multiple sensors, method of checking the ambient temp etc. Also that UV sensor or load sensor - I had spotted it on the dash of the Admiral. Though it is slightly spherical. That must be acting as the MID sensor.

Now if I could only find a site/s like that for the various details of TFort !

dot - can I outsource the task to you ?
Your KRA would be - To identify and list 10 such sites for the TFort which describe every minute technical detail of the TFort - by June 15, 2011. KRA weightage - 100% if no other KRA is identified and discussed during the course if the appraisal year 2011-12.
Thanks !
Old 31st May 2011, 18:00   #696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your KRA would be - To identify and list 10 such sites for the TFort which describe every minute technical detail of the TFort - by June 15, 2011. KRA weightage - 100% if no other KRA is identified and discussed during the course if the appraisal year 2011-12.
Thanks !
General you are a very good manager. You have given plenty of time 15 days for dot to achieve the KRA. Typically managers want the results yesterday.

Sorry to intrude.
Old 31st May 2011, 18:03   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
General you are a very good manager. You have given plenty of time 15 days for dot to achieve the KRA. Typically managers want the results yesterday.

Sorry to intrude.
No there is catch. He said every minute detail. Now what is every minute detail can discussed at length during the appraisal.
Old 31st May 2011, 20:18   #698
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
dot - can I outsource the task to you ?
Thanks !
Why June 15th? I will give it to you today. Just follow this link with trust and without prejudice.

Google

Now where is my 30%?
Old 31st May 2011, 21:22   #699
Senior - BHPian

About to go and hand over the 1 lac advance cheque tomorrow at 36 Toyota, Faridabad. Delivery period offered is 3 months (though they are saying it may be less).

Colour Choice 1. Silver 2. Grey 3. White 4. Black; any suggestions?

Few queries from Guderian/all Fortuner owners -

1. On road price offered to me here at Faridabad (am using my in-laws address to save some moolah on road tax) is as below- Does the quote look OK?

Model

Fortuner

Ex Showroom Price 2014800
Comp. Insurance with Nil dep 74136
Registration 166684
Temp. Registration & No. Plate 2100
Logistic 3550
Smile Pkg. 1916
Foot Mat & Trunk Mat 4525
Body Cover 2998
Anti rust & Teflon Coating 8087
On road 2278796
Loan 700000
Margin Money 1578796
Emi*35 22988
Processing Fees 4750
Net Down Payment 1606534

Now in the above quote, they are asking me to shell out 8087 for antirust and teflon, 4525 for mats, 2998 for body cover. Is it worth it or should I go aftermarket products? Also is the antirust and teflon really needed/worth it?

2. They have offered me original Prado front grill for 12k extra and touchscreen JVC ICE for 35K extra; Though I will be going in for the grill at all costs, is the Touchscreen worth it or should I go aftermarket? They are not taking back/adjusting price of the original ICE at any cost. They said they might consider taking back/adjusting the price of the original front grill in lieu of the Prado grill.

3. Anything else I should discuss/bargain with them?

Please advice...

Last edited by aah78 : 31st May 2011 at 22:03. Reason: Text format tags removed.
Old 1st June 2011, 00:05   #700
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As it appears you want to change the front Grill - LC kind - so pick Silver or White color

Quote:
Seems to be higher - is it with Zero Depreciation or regular ? and which is company

Quote:
8087 for antirust and teflon, 4525 for mats, 2998 for body cover
Except for Body cover , you can ignore rest things - for Teflon if you need better try 3M independent shop .

Quote:
original Prado front grill for 12k extra
It will be a look alike - Guurgaon Dealers sell for 15 k but this is non toyota accessory - recheck - in local market this costs about 6,500

Quote:
touchscreen JVC ICE for 35K extra
Again you will have more options including one with Navigator outside plus you can add Amplifier and change speakers as well

Quote:
discuss/bargain with them?
Early delivery
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 00:09   #701
Senior - BHPian

In the civic the two sensors do have some connection. Because as @dot mentioned when the outside temp and CC temp are close the cabin airflow is not good enough. 4 degrees apart sends good volume of cool air throughout the cabin. Apart from this, there is also a sunlight sensor placed near the windscreen which detects you guessed it sunlight. So when the fan is set to auto it adjusts according to the amount of sunlight hitting the sensor. All these three sensors work together to give you the perfect ambient cabin temp. If you are not happy with the job these sensors do, well manual override is for you.

@dkaile
Rather than the JVC, take a look at the caska units. There is Thread named "caska in my toyota fortuner" something like that. Where you can have a look at how it looks in the TFort and learn about the features etc.

Last edited by mdsaab : 1st June 2011 at 00:12.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 09:41   #702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post

Sorry to intrude.
No intursion sir, you are just attempting to fine tune the KRA set ! This acutally is a developmental KRA so gave him some time to achieve it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
No there is catch. He said every minute detail. Now what is every minute detail can discussed at length during the appraisal.
OT: Absolutely right. But minutest details will be decided after deciding what the rating should be for the year 11-12 ! True managerial thinking eh ?!!

Quote:
Why June 15th? I will give it to you today. Just follow this link with trust and without prejudice.

Google

Now where is my 30%?
Now this is fast work but not necessarily complete work. None of those sites meet the quality of your Ford Scorp site. But appreciate the first move. It looks promising. We shall have a mid term review on June 11th when we meet for the TBHP - Grand PuMu Meet.

30 % ? Let's settle for 5% on this bit !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
About to go and hand over the 1 lac advance cheque tomorrow at 36 Toyota, Faridabad. Delivery period offered is 3 months (though they are saying it may be less).

Good luck !

I would suggest mica silver for general ease of maintenance.

Few queries from Guderian/all Fortuner owners -

1. On road price offered to me here at Faridabad (am using my in-laws address to save some moolah on road tax) is as below- Does the quote look OK?

Model

Fortuner

Ex Showroom Price 2014800
Registration 166684
Temp. Registration & No. Plate 2100
Logistic 3550
Smile Pkg. 1916
Foot Mat & Trunk Mat 4525
Body Cover 2998
Anti rust & Teflon Coating 8087
On road 2278796
Loan 700000
Margin Money 1578796
Emi*35 22988
Processing Fees 4750
Net Down Payment 1606534

Not sure what that smile package is ? But that on road amount of 22.78 is sweet compared to what is shelled out in the Mumbai region thanks to tax and octroi etc ! Incidentally what is that temp number plate etc for ? You should be able to get your 'pucca' number in about 3 days from the RTO - though the final papers would come in only after 60 days. So wondering.

Now in the above quote, they are asking me to shell out 8087 for antirust and teflon, 4525 for mats, 2998 for body cover. Is it worth it or should I go aftermarket products? Also is the antirust and teflon really needed/worth it?

Anti rust - I would suggest get the Wurths done from outside. Would cost you about 5 K whereas the dealer will charge you about 6.5K.
Teflon - I haven't got it done as I don't think it is of any value.
Mats - Got the rubber Innova black mats for ease of maintenance compared to the Fortuner cloth based one. Rs 1300/-.
Body cover - Would be useful. Price is around the same as mentioned by you.

Please advice...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
In the civic the two sensors do have some connection. Because as @dot mentioned when the outside temp and CC temp are close the cabin airflow is not good enough. 4 degrees apart sends good volume of cool air throughout the cabin. Apart from this, there is also a sunlight sensor placed near the windscreen which detects you guessed it sunlight. So when the fan is set to auto it adjusts according to the amount of sunlight hitting the sensor. All these three sensors work together to give you the perfect ambient cabin temp. If you are not happy with the job these sensors do, well manual override is for you.
This is pretty much, I guess, the system in the TFort too. But then what happens in the night ? The first two sensors take over I guess leaving the sunlight chap to a...ummm...good night's rest ?

Last edited by Guderian : 1st June 2011 at 09:59.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 02:13   #703
BHPian

I am sorry general saab,
Have not been able to go through the Togo channel much lately but your tip about taping the roof rails has been put to good measure on Snow, so thanks for that. Thing is I will be departing for Leh this Saturday and its been a little last minute kind of a family decision so I have been running helter skelter getting things in order. I wish I could have made it to the bhp mega meet, but this is gonna be one helluva ride I cant afford to skip.
So Regards to you and will catch up later.
Rohan
Old 3rd June 2011, 09:10   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
I am sorry general saab,
Have not been able to go through the Togo channel much lately but your tip about taping the roof rails has been put to good measure on Snow, so thanks for that. Thing is I will be departing for Leh this Saturday and its been a little last minute kind of a family decision so I have been running helter skelter getting things in order. I wish I could have made it to the bhp mega meet, but this is gonna be one helluva ride I cant afford to skip.
So Regards to you and will catch up later.
Rohan
Hi Rohan, My pleasure !
Here's wishing you a fantabulous trip to Leh. And should you need any help anywhere with regards to the Scorpio or just about anything else - give me a shout !
And I am insanely jealous. I have been planning that Leh trip from 2009. Narrowly missed the trip in 2009 with a Scorpio group. Some day soon I will...
Will PM you my number.
Drive safe !

Last edited by Guderian : 3rd June 2011 at 09:11.
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:27   #705
Senior - BHPian

Admiral & The Thundersquall June 3, 2011

Last evening, on the way back home, the weather in Mumbai suddenly turned squally. Though the signs were on from the afternoon itself, never expected the weather to change so fast. After driving about 15 minutes, by the time I reached the Eastern Express Highway, day turned to night and it was a heavy, heavy downpour which I've never seen as first rains of the monsoons or even pre monsoons. Weather patterns are sure a changing !

On the EEH, looking into the distance, clouds were so dark leaving one wondering whether it was a scene out of Dante's Inferno...

Traffic crawled and what normally takes Admiral 60 minutes to traverse took 90 minutes.

This was the first real very heavy showers that Admiral was encountering. Mild showers couple of weeks ago on the way to Pune.

Some obervations on Admiral's behaviours in the blinding rain:

- All systems worked well.

- The wipers were exceptionally good - intermittent/normal speed/hi speed all were deployed at various stages. Exceptional clarity after swipes no streaking as of now. However the rear windshield wiper speed is tad slow for my liking - could have been a wee bit faster. The washer sprays, especially front - which is a mist spray, worked well. The rear one is not a spray but just a stream from top requring the wiper to spread it. Could have been a mist spray here as well. Or am I missing some adjustment here ?

- Admiral felt extremely sure footed. I went through some flooded sections at some safe speed to check the feel. Very well planted. No feeling of slippage or loss of control. Tyres did their job fairly well.
That permanent AWD - All Wheel Drive, really came into its own last evening. Greatly appreciate that feature now.

-Another reason why I ventured into some of the long, deep road pools was to check the water splash characteristics. You see in my previous vehicle, the Scorp, there was a very dangerous behaviour which is now widely realised - when the vehicle used to rush into a road puddle at anything above 20KMPH a wall of water used to get thrown up on to the windscreen leaving one momentarily blind. Totally blind. I am told this is the case with the Pajero too.
So wanting to check that out in the Admiral took him into the pools at about 40/50KMPH. He tore through the water - parting the water sideways with not a drop coming on to the windshield. Relief...errr...flooded me. Tried it in a couple of places more. No issues. Hallelujah - Moses parting the seas !
Relief was felt due the memories of two narrow escapes on Guderian, the Scorp, thanks to this free 'feature' of auto windscreen washing.

- Brakes are good indeed. Had two near scrapes last evening. Somehow I just can't understand as to why folks on the road - the moment it starts raining heavily - switch on the hazard lights. To improve visibility ? Gimme a brake...sorry... break ! Just switch on your tail lamps folks - that's what needs to be done. For with the hazard lights on when these chaps want to change lanes there is no way they can signal that. Then there is quite a bit of skill required when these mor*ns suddenly change lanes and rush into your lane. As it were the quite a few of the chaps on the road don't use their indicators and with this cleverness, as per them, it is quite a mess. So had to brake hard couple of times and the brakes did a very good job.

- Rain falling on the roof doesn't create much of a racket in the Admiral as compared to the Scorp. Must be due to the shape. However there is still a racket due to the large suface area and so had to increase the volume to listen to some jazz.

- The 221 MM ground clearance is really helpful. Went over some debris on the road (thanks to some real high wind/s) without much of a worry.

- Overall felt comfortable and cocooned in the shell.

I trust all the viewers of Togo Channel have gotten their vehicles ready for the monsoons:
- Check wiper condition.
- Check tyres.
- All electricals especially the security system.
- Check jack and tommy.
- Check stepney tyre - pressure and general check up.
- Check coolant levels.
- Anti rust treatment/anti rust serviced.
- Window washer check and top up.
- Check all beading and for signs of water trickling into cabin.
- Check brakes and hand brake.

And have fun driving in the rains.
Drive carefully.

Last edited by Guderian : 3rd June 2011 at 10:34.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks