Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2011, 11:05   #616
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Nils,
1. I find that very hard to believe. It is possible that the level of commission differs from dealer to dealer. In the Thane/Mumbai dealerships I think it is a juicy amount. And the team for selling CBUs/SUVs are different from the cars actually.

2. Right. Actually you can get that adjustable torque force wrench also easily and carry it with you instead of the metal tube. Very easy to use as well.
Oh yes - this too is long enough to serve as a personal weapon !
Well, that is what a Nandi Toyota rep had told me. The Fortuner takes very little rep push/influence to sell, so the reps don't get paid much. In fact I have had reps trying to sell me an Innova while TDing the Fortuner :-)

Where can one get one of these adjustable torque force wrenches? Automarts or accessory shops?
Old 19th May 2011, 11:39   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
1. Well, that is what a Nandi Toyota rep had told me. The Fortuner takes very little rep push/influence to sell, so the reps don't get paid much. In fact I have had reps trying to sell me an Innova while TDing the Fortuner :-)

2. Where can one get one of these adjustable torque force wrenches? Automarts or accessory shops?
Hi,
1. Ha ha ! To get sympathy from the kind hearted Nilanjan !

2. You may not get it from those sources unless a Hyper Mart type store has an automobile wing. What you can do is that go to a tyre outlet/ automobile workshop and ask them as to where they get their tools from - they'll have a string of shops. Or else just go to JC Road in Bangalore there are enough shops selling auto tools - and some yummy tools too those !
Old 19th May 2011, 13:10   #618
Senior - BHPian

I too would like to thank @Guderian for his fantastic post on tyre changing. Heck i clicked the button, but in this case thats not enough.
First a little quote
"The way to your Car's Heart is through Your Toolbox"
Did i just say that on @Guderian's thread? Anyway you know what toolbox i am speaking of here.

I think the best jack @Guderian was referring to is the Scissor jack, in which you move your hands to simulate pedal movement. Ofcourse to make things real easy for yourself you want to get a hydraulic jack.

Coming to the tire change. Many cars have hubcaps and sometimes these damn things refuse to come off when required. Here you can use a screwdriver at the edge of the hubcap where is meets the wheel and just pry it gently. Pretty much like prying the lid of a can of paint.

As @Guderian earlier mentioned it gets tough to loosen those nuts at times(becareful @mdsaab)
So put your weight on the wrench but do not stand on the thing and risk damage to the thread, vehicle or yourself. The best is to use a hollow pipe and a cross shaft wrench this setup can pretty much loosen the toughest of nuts. Including those nuts, from whom you may need protection to save your own nuts. In short a very handy safety wepon.

Knowledge courtesy one of my favourite books auto repair for dummies.
Old 19th May 2011, 15:23   #619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
1. I too would like to thank @Guderian for his fantastic post on tyre changing. Heck i clicked the button, but in this case thats not enough.
First a little quote
2. "The way to your Car's Heart is through Your Toolbox"
Did i just say that on @Guderian's thread? Anyway you know what toolbox i am speaking of here.

3. I think the best jack @Guderian was referring to is the Scissor jack, in which you move your hands to simulate pedal movement. Ofcourse to make things real easy for yourself you want to get a hydraulic jack.

4. Coming to the tire change. Many cars have hubcaps and sometimes these damn things refuse to come off when required. Here you can use a screwdriver at the edge of the hubcap where is meets the wheel and just pry it gently. Pretty much like prying the lid of a can of paint.
Hi mdsaab,
4. Nice tip. Yes many times have seen chaps struggling with the old type hubs - Ambassador types. The new on can be yanked off I guess thanks to the current day designs. And I have never had an issue with hubs - you see I have never possessed a car with hubs - ever !

3. No mdsaab, I am not referrring to the scissor jack - which is again a screw type and the motion of the hand is rotary in getting it to raise the the vehicle. I am talking about the bottle jack - which again has the up and down movement like in a hydraulic jack. But the piston moves vertically up like emerging from a bottle shaped body.
Snap here:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-bottle_jacks_2t_to_50t_22212019_std.jpg

(PS - Before you buy any jack male sure it fits under the vehicle at the recommended jack placement point - if the tyres are deflated ! Had a friend of mine who purchased a fancy jack put just couldn't fit it underneath his deflated vehicle. Jack was too tall. That way the hydraulic jack is the best - only thing just check that the arm raises up to a level that it raises the vehicle. High GC vehicle owners...chaps who have TForts for example... need to be careful. )

2. No comments !
On a serious note - shall try and put up snaps of all the tool boxes Admiral carries or have on standby this or next weekend.

1. There you go making me blush again. Nothing to it really. Just put together some experiences. Oh yes and plenty of skinned knuckles, bruised elbows, wrenched shoulders and bruised ego till I got the right tools and attitude.
Attitude ? Yeah, treat the vehicle and the tools with respect. Don't think you can dominate anything ! Go gently and with full understanding of what the vehicle needs and what the tools can deliver. You'll never go wrong.
Thanks for the compliment.

Last edited by Guderian : 19th May 2011 at 15:39.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 15:23   #620
dot
Senior - BHPian

Since we are discussing tyre change tips, tricks and episodes on channel TOGO, here is something from my "experience toolbox" (and severely OT)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2282488
Old 19th May 2011, 16:26   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Since we are discussing tyre change tips, tricks and episodes on channel TOGO, here is something from my "experience toolbox" (and severely OT)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2282488
That was a good anecdote dot...who was more upset - the girl, you or your Dad ?!!
Old 19th May 2011, 22:07   #622
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That was a good anecdote dot...who was more upset - the girl, you or your Dad ?!!
Oh, to recall such stuff from an hoary bohemian past. I think at the end we all agreed that I was a dumb idiot.
Old 20th May 2011, 09:28   #623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Oh, to recall such stuff from an hoary bohemian past. I think at the end we all agreed that I was a dumb idiot.
Ach So ! Another citizen of Bohemia...well, weren't many of us so in the later part of school days (newbie Bohemians) and distinguished Bohemians in college ? Gaaad it does take me back !
And what happens to a good Bohemian ? He/she gets domesticated...
Happens, happens to the best of Bohemians.

Last edited by Guderian : 20th May 2011 at 09:34.
Old 20th May 2011, 10:36   #624
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And what happens to a good Bohemian ? He/she gets domesticated...
Then one fine day, the retired D Bohemian purchases a Scorp/Fort/Civic and becomes a good Bhpian.
Old 21st May 2011, 13:26   #625
Senior - BHPian

It's Getting Better ! May 21, 2011.

So today was another bunkering day and the Admiral returned his best ever city FE numbers.
On the MID it was 12.80 KMPL. And tank to tank calculations of mine showed - 12.55 KMPL.

Getting ready:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07535.jpg

Guzzling away to glory !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07536.jpg

As promised I delivered the mithai ka dabbas to the pump attendants today - for all the three shifts:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07537.jpg
Must keep the LoH (PMO) informed that the 'needful was done' as instructed.

And smiles all around in general:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07538.jpg

And when I was getting ready to weigh anchors and hoist the mizzen came the cheerful query: "Agle Shaniwar ayenge na ?"
Effect of the halwai's efforts. But I hope they don't expect the dabbas everytime the Admiral bunkers here...

But wait ! Frankly I can't be deliriously overjoyed at these city FE figures. For the simple reason that I know it is the holiday season and actually there is far less traffic on the roads these days.
Morning and evening I cruise through without breaking into a sweat.
But yes its not as though the city roads are totally empty or there is a curfew imposed - but still is much better.

The groans are just a few days away when the marauding hordes and their chariots return after holidays in the first week of June. Back on the roads would also be the school buses, taxis/rickshaws teeming with kids.

And then there are the rains also - just a couple weeks away - when Mumbai roads turn into a nightmare with traffic mega gridlocks - thanks to potholes, waterways that the roads turn into (why visit the backwaters of God's own country when we have own frontwaters ?!!) besides broken down tankers, trailers etc on busy junctions etc, etc & etc.

But even then, todays FE figures are some numbers to celebrate, for me at least.

Banzai !

Last edited by Guderian : 21st May 2011 at 13:29.
Old 21st May 2011, 13:41   #626
Senior - BHPian

Did you fill up the Admiral with Hi-Speed diesel? I always thought only a handful of Euro demanded fuel additives and our regular fuel (if it is unadulterated) was sufficient for Japs and so?!?

Good FE figures BTW!
Old 21st May 2011, 13:49   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Did you fill up the Admiral with Hi-Speed diesel? I always thought only a handful of Euro demanded fuel additives and our regular fuel (if it is unadulterated) was sufficient for Japs and so?!?
Good FE figures BTW!
No Ace...it was sada/regular fuel/diesel. That was just the sticker.
Thanks !

Last edited by Guderian : 21st May 2011 at 13:52.
Old 21st May 2011, 14:03   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No Ace...it was sada fuel. That was just the sticker !
Thanks !
Aha... That clears up my doubt!

@ Guderian and dot, you two buggers, made me recall similar story happened to me not too long ago!

It was during winter 2005, I had turned 18 and just got my DL. So one fine day, I ask my father to take our humble Alto to college, with a fascination to take my GF on a long drive! My father agrees and I take my car to Hisar. Everything goes as planned about my date and long drive till the point where I get a flat tyre on a deserted road!

Turns out I am another 'dumb idiot' who doesn't know how to change a flat tyre. So embrassing it felt when I had to ask one of my knowns to come by and help me out!

Oh well, we all have our share of learning curve, don't we!
Old 21st May 2011, 14:07   #629
Senior - BHPian

Guderian,

What rpm rage do you maintain in the city? Those are pretty impressive FE numbers.
Old 21st May 2011, 14:09   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Oh well, we all have our share of learning curve, don't we!
Well Ace, from your anecdote - it meant more of learning of curves !!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks