Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2011, 08:33   #1366
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Overfilling coolant reservoir is not recommended. The level check is at normal temperature and the extra capacity is for expansion as liquid heats us. The proper level is the F mark. Any extra coolant will only spill out.

Heavy slush is relative term. If your tyres do not have any grip then no amount of torque is going to pull you out. Also the type of surface has a great impact on dirveability. A clay goo like at Sambhar / WHite Rann with a bit of water makes a slush that will hold you fast.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 08:43   #1367
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations HG on the landmark.

On the coolent level, not sure what the T folks say but its a generally accepted norm to fill it till F level as it expands when hot over a long drive and eats up the rest of the empty space. Had experienced the spill first hand in Indica.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 15:59   #1368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Let me be the first one to congratulate you for attaining the "SENIORSHIP". It is once in a life time moment. One can become "DISTINGUISHED BHPIan" many times but "Senior BHPian" only one time.
Hi BV,
Many thanks for the warm words. And yes - a unique way of looking at 'Senior Citizens' of the forum becoming senior citizens !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I have a couple of bottles of that coolant and one bottle of engine oil lying in my vehicle since the MP run. Hope I never have to use them.
May you never use the spare oil. But keep and eye on the coolant level every now and then. I topped it up now by a few MM for the first time since I got Admiral home. Bison may have been topped up with coolant during the regular service/s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Overfilling coolant reservoir is not recommended. The level check is at normal temperature and the extra capacity is for expansion as liquid heats us. The proper level is the F mark. Any extra coolant will only spill out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
On the coolent level, not sure what the T folks say but its a generally accepted norm to fill it till F level as it expands when hot over a long drive and eats up the rest of the empty space. Had experienced the spill first hand in Indica.
Agree. Thanks for pointing out the same.

For some strange reason the Toyota chaps (both from/at the factory and ASC) have been filling up the coolant upto the pen mark - as shown in the snap in the previous page. During the first service had checked it out at the ASC - in couple of other brand new Fortuners as well. When asked for the reason the grease monkeys at the ASC mumbled something about some 'calibration point' at the factory and that they have been adviced to fill it up above the joint point of the reservoir which is near the pen mark.("Humko waisaich karne ko bola" !).

Initially, when the Admiral was brand new, even I was a little worried about coolant spill from the overflow point - but no such thing has ever happened yet. And since the coolant is deep pink in colour it is easy to spot the overflow occurrance.

Incidentally what does 'B' level on the reservoir right at the top stand for ? Blow out ? Blow up ?!!

Last edited by Guderian : 19th December 2011 at 16:01.
Old 19th December 2011, 23:47   #1369
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Now wait a minute...what had to be here ?
On this thread you mean ? This silly post ? Stooping to new lows of floor mats ?

My 1001st post on Team BHP ! Hurrah.

But of course it took me almost 5 years to reach here ! But well worth every word on the long & 'perilous' journey.

Aloha.
Herr G, congratulations. Difficult to believe that you were not senior till now. And even more difficult to tell a general that he has become senior.

I wonder what the heck NR stands for. Certainly they are not made from natural rubber.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 09:26   #1370
BHPian

Hi HG,

congrats on the tonne of postings..!

@dot: the General has grown old now

OT: Just recently, I am getting this irritating squeaky noise from the driver's side seat belt holster (that where its coming from, I think). Its like: I'm driving and there's this noise from somewhere above my right ear (B pillar). Cant get a fix on it and its a real bummer. Any ideas?
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 11:37   #1371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Just recently, I am getting this irritating squeaky noise from the driver's side seat belt holster (that where its coming from, I think). Its like: I'm driving and there's this noise from somewhere above my right ear (B pillar). Cant get a fix on it and its a real bummer. Any ideas?
A drop of oil inside the swivel clamp holding the seat-belt might help.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 12:00   #1372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Herr G, congratulations. Difficult to believe that you were not senior till now. And even more difficult to tell a general that he has become senior.

I wonder what the heck NR stands for. Certainly they are not made from natural rubber.
Quote:
Hi HG,
congrats on the tonne of postings..!
@dot: the General has grown old now
Hi dot and Monaro,
Thanks guys !
NR could stand for anything - say "Nagaraj Rubbers" ? Or worse "Nagaraj's Rubbers" ?

And you guys have to keep referring to the age factor right ? And rubbing in the time it took me to get to be an 'old man' ?

Anyway here are couple of glimpses of a chap who seems timeless, ageless and impervious to the passage of time, unlike his ageing 'Sarathy' !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc09387.jpg

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc09389.jpg

Quote:

OT: Just recently, I am getting this irritating squeaky noise from the driver's side seat belt holster (that where its coming from, I think). Its like: I'm driving and there's this noise from somewhere above my right ear (B pillar). Cant get a fix on it and its a real bummer. Any ideas?
Monaro,
I think I too had a similar issue, recounted a few posts ago. But then that metallic squeaky sound seemed to come from B pillar or under the seat. Couldn't get a fix on it for a few days - till on a Sunday when I decided to just try releasing and repositioning the back rest of the driver's seat 3 times using the release lever. That's it. That seems to have fixed the issue. Try it.

Last edited by Guderian : 20th December 2011 at 12:02.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 13:57   #1373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
A drop of oil inside the swivel clamp holding the seat-belt might help.
Quote:

Monaro,
I think I too had a similar issue, recounted a few posts ago. But then that metallic squeaky sound seemed to come from B pillar or under the seat. Couldn't get a fix on it for a few days - till on a Sunday when I decided to just try releasing and repositioning the back rest of the driver's seat 3 times using the release lever. That's it. That seems to have fixed the issue. Try it.
The squeaking is more like a plasticky squeaking & by the sounds of it, it seems to be coming from somewhere in the RH B Pillar. Am pretty sure its not coming from the swivel clamp.
Old 20th December 2011, 14:21   #1374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The squeaking is more like a plasticky squeaking & by the sounds of it, it seems to be coming from somewhere in the RH B Pillar. Am pretty sure its not coming from the swivel clamp.
OK...oh, so it isn't a Metallica concert like it was in Admiral.

Try dkaile's suggest anyway.

And I think it could be the belt rubbing something below the plactic cover of the B pillar.
Try increasing or decreasing the belt height using the plastic slider (as below) above the belt and see if it makes any difference.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc06733.jpg
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 21:51   #1375
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi dot and Monaro,
Thanks guys !
NR could stand for anything
Good to see that the old Guderian is back, after the back taking the back seat. Enough bak bak.

The solitary picture of admiral was very dramatic and moving.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 07:48   #1376
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Incidentally what does 'B' level on the reservoir right at the top stand for ? Blow out ? Blow up ?!!
Bottom?

As long as the coolant remain within these two points no problem. The only reason I could think for higher coolant level than F is that the calibrations may be done for a standard temperature and in hotter weather it may point to expected expansion point.

If the coolant level falls below the B mark the radiator will suck in air when cooling and this will decrease efficacy of the system.
Old 21st December 2011, 15:03   #1377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Bottom?

As long as the coolant remain within these two points no problem. The only reason I could think for higher coolant level than F is that the calibrations may be done for a standard temperature and in hotter weather it may point to expected expansion point.

If the coolant level falls below the B mark the radiator will suck in air when cooling and this will decrease efficacy of the system.
Actually as mentioned earlier the 'B' mark is right on top. Attaching a couple of snaps for clarity.
Name:  DSC09390.JPG
Views: 3676
Size:  147.0 KB

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc09393.jpg

From the second snap it can be seen that the reservoir has 3 markings from top to bottom:
-B - ???
-F - Full.
-L - Low.

In the snaps the coolant level is above the pen mark as I took the snaps after a run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
The solitary picture of admiral was very dramatic and moving.
Thanks. Solitary splendour I guess.
Old 22nd December 2011, 11:49   #1378
Senior - BHPian

HG, the 'B' could be Toyota's humor in saying 'Bas kar' (enough of the coolent already) .
No, on a serious note, I have no clue what that stands for.
That snap of the Admiral looks wonderful. He looks just the way he did when he walked outta the showroom!

Good to see you back in full swing now. Drive down to Pune with the Admiral. A meeting's overdue now.

Congrats on the Senior tag.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2011, 14:00   #1379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
1. That snap of the Admiral looks wonderful. He looks just the way he did when he walked outta the showroom!

2. Good to see you back in full swing now.

3. Congrats on the Senior tag.
Hey SI,
1,2 & 3...Thanks a million for the kind words.
A drive to Pune ? Are you guys coming anytime to Mumbai ? Let's have a bash here this time.
Also there appears to be a Mumbai-Pune driveby meet happening sometime I had read on a meet thread.

And now for some 'Chrome-O-Some' news from a Fortuner or Now I Have Seen It All Story.
Early this afternoon as I was getting back home, after pottering around Thane City, I spotted quite a sight. Well there was this white Fortuner. That's fine. Had the mandatory political party stickers here and there. Fine, so what ? It had chrome all around. Go on. Had a chromed scoop. OK, so ?
And then he overtook me.
Ta-da ! And that's when a huge blinding bolt of lightning hit my eye - reflecting suns rays. I screwed my eyes, pursed my lips and peered for the source. Was from the rear windshield. This chappie had completely (top to bottom) chrome-o-somed the rear wiper with solid chunky pieces of chrome covering. And it was real thick. Almost like an elephant's trunk. But no fancy shape or anything - the same design as the plastic OE.
Phew ! I think when the Fortuner goes underwater he/she could use the wiper as a rudder or with the motor running and with some dexterity, as a propeller.

I think the engine sounded quite different on this Fortuner and went Bling, bling, bling !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2011, 15:15   #1380
Distinguished - BHPian

B would be Boil over level??
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks