Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2022, 21:41   #391
BHPian

re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Tree Planting

Last weekend, planted 40 trees in my small farm. Coincidentally, Earth Day happened to be a couple of days earlier on 22nd April. Following were the trees planted.
Looks great!
One query. Any particular reason you dug a pit around the small plants? Is it to retain the water so that the plants are well irrigated all the times?

I also observed you have drip irrigation and presume some one takes care of regular irrigation via drip.

If yes, having a pit around the plants may not be great idea. It can lead to waterlogging in roots which most plants don't like. Best is actually to have a raised bed where plant is slightly above on a slope to ensure proper drainage and better growth of root system. The drip should be a bit away from the main stem. Goodluck!
OffRoadFun is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 21:48   #392
Team-BHP Support

re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
Looks great!
One query. Any particular reason you dug a pit around the small plants?

I also observed you have drip irrigation and presume some one takes care of regular irrigation via drip.

If yes, having a pit around the plants may not be great idea. It can lead to waterlogging in roots which most plants don't like. Best is actually to have a raised bed where plant is slightly above on a slope to ensure proper drainage and better growth of root system. The drip should be a bit away from the main stem. Goodluck!
Thank you for the kind words and tips.

The pits are a little deep as they were dug using a JCB. Over the next couple of months, as the plants grow a little, we will close the pits and create a wider and shallower area for watering around the stem and have a raised bed near the stem.

Right now, there is a person who opens the drip irrigation once a couple of days. I am putting together an automated irrigation system using PLCs and electric valves which should be up in a few weeks.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 20:34   #393
Team-BHP Support

Update on the leaky strut:

BMW did not approve the request for goodwill warranty claim for the leaky strut on the front left side. As the car has run more than 50K kilometers on the strut and as it is well beyond the 2 year warranty, they did not approve this. So I will be paying for this replacement. Following is the quotation received for the replacement.

Name:  Quotation for MSport.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  73.2 KB

I discussed with the service manager if I should change both the struts. He said the other strut is in good condition and there is no need to replace it.

I asked them to go ahead and order the parts. It will take a couple of weeks for the part to arrive. Will post an update once the replacement is complete.

Last edited by graaja : 26th May 2022 at 20:35.
graaja is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 10:09   #394
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Update on the leaky strut:

BMW did not approve the request for goodwill warranty claim for the leaky strut on the front left side. As the car has run more than 50K kilometers on the strut and as it is well beyond the 2 year warranty, they did not approve this. So I will be paying for this replacement. Following is the quotation received for the replacement.

Attachment 2313045

I discussed with the service manager if I should change both the struts. He said the other strut is in good condition and there is no need to replace it.

I asked them to go ahead and order the parts. It will take a couple of weeks for the part to arrive. Will post an update once the replacement is complete.
Hi Graaja!

Thank you for this update. Nice to see that labour is not atrocious, but 45k total is still pricey for a new strut.

Could you tell us why you decided to get just the one strut replaced instead of going the aftermarket route and replacing everything, with something like KW Street Comfort coilovers, or maybe just Bilstein B6 dampers?
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 10:22   #395
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Hi Graaja!

Thank you for this update. Nice to see that labour is not atrocious, but 45k total is still pricey for a new strut.

Could you tell us why you decided to get just the one strut replaced instead of going the aftermarket route and replacing everything, with something like KW Street Comfort coilovers, or maybe just Bilstein B6 dampers?
Yes. 45K for one strut is definitley a little high. As I love the balanced nature of the OE MSport suspensions, I decided to get the single strut replaced. I had used KW coilovers in the Polo GT. Thought this improved handling, it was still on the harsher side. The MSport offers fantastic handling without being too harsh.

Also, as I have already spent about 2.5 Lakhs in upgrading to MSport suspensions, I felt it makes sense to just change the one leaky strut instead of replacing the whole system.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 15:51   #396
Senior - BHPian

@GRaaja sir - Excellent thread! Loved the details.

To keep the thread alive. A few pics of my GT.
Attached Thumbnails
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-whatsapp-image-20220602-3.20.43-pm.jpeg  

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-whatsapp-image-20220602-3.20.45-pm.jpeg  

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-whatsapp-image-20220602-3.20.46-pm.jpeg  

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-whatsapp-image-20220602-3.24.14-pm.jpeg  

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-whatsapp-image-20220602-3.31.08-pm.jpeg  

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-whatsapp-image-20220602-3.32.48-pm.jpeg  

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-whatsapp-image-20220602-3.33.55-pm.jpeg  

Shubz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 13:24   #397
Team-BHP Support

75000 Kilometers Up

75000 Kilometers Up

The GT crossed the 75000 kilometers milestone during a drive to Thiruchendur a couple of days back.

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-img_1956.jpg

Clicked a couple of pictures at a small temple besides a beautiful pond near Thiruchendur.

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-img_1950.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-img_1951.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-img_1952.jpg

Still awaiting the availability of the MSport struts.
graaja is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 16:01   #398
Team-BHP Support

A Weekend Drive to Valparai

A couple of weekends back, went for a drive to Valparai with friends and TBHPians Dr.AD and Robimahanta who had come from Bangalore in their 320D and Thar respectively. We stayed a couple of days in a estate bungalow called Puthuthottam and had a good time doing some nature walks through beautiful tea estates and photographing the Lion Tailed Macaques. Dr.AD has written a fantastic travelogue on this trip.

To Valparai, in search of Lion-tailed Macaques!

A few pictures from this trip.

On the way to Valparai. The GT with Dr.AD's red 320D and Robi's Thar. Picture Credit: Dr.AD
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-20220611_164804.jpg

The three cars parked at the estate bungalow. Picture Credit: Dr.AD
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-dsc_1901.jpg

A few pictures of the Lion Tailed Macaques.

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-ltm-1.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-ltm-2.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-ltm-3.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-ltm-4.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-ltm-5.jpg

A few pictures of wood peckers.

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-wood-pecker-1.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-wood-pecker-2.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-wood-pecker-3.jpg

A few pictures of the GT.

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-gt-1.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-gt-2.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-gt-3.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-gt-4.jpg

Drive to Bangalore to pick up a 10" Dobsonian Telescope

One of my hobbies is astrophotography and visual astronomy. I have a thread on this hobby in the below link.

Rendezvous with The Universe | My Astrophotography Hobby

As most of my gear were focused on astrophotography, I was planning to get a 10" Dobsonian telescope for visual astronomy to be able to view deep space objects like nebulae, galaxies etc. A member from the Bangalore Astronomy Society was selling his 10" GoTo Dobsonian and I grabbed the opportunity. Drove to Bangalore last Tuesday and brought home the telescope. Again, the GT proved its practicality. It was able to take in the telescope, the base and two large cartons.

The main telescope on the front passenger seat secured with the seat belt.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-telescope-car-1.jpg

The base in the rear passenger seat.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-telescope-car-2.jpg

The boxes. Folded down the rear seat by 60% to fit one box and the other fit in the boot.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-telescope-car-3.jpg

The fully assembled telescope. The scope is about 5.5 feet tall and 30 kilos.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-telescope.jpg

Planning to take this scope to some dark sites for observing deep space.

Thats all folks, I have for now!
graaja is online now   (52) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 07:04   #399
Team-BHP Support

8th Oil Service and Front Left Strut Replacement

By mid of July, I got update from the service manager that the suspension had arrived. As the oil service was due soon (iDrive was showing 2700km), I decided to get the suspension changed along with the oil service.

Had a drive to Hyderabad in the first week of August. After this drive, the iDrive showed oil service due in 480km. The iDrive also showed a notification that the remote battery was low.

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-img_3239.jpg
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-img_3240.jpg

Called BMW workshop and fixed an appointment for both oil service and suspension replacement. Due to some other work commitment, I could not take the car to the workshop. So requested them if they could arrange for a pick up and drop. They sent a driver for pick-up and dropped the vehicle back the next day.

Below is the invoice for the strut replacement. The cost of the remote control battery is also included in the invoice.

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-invoice-1.jpg

Name:  Invoice 2.JPG
Views: 523
Size:  137.0 KB

Below are the invoices for the oil service done under BSI. The individual line items in the invoices do not add up to the total. But I guess this should be something internal between BMW and the dealership.

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-bsi-invoice-1.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-bsi-invoice-2.jpg

Haven't had the chance to drive the vehicle after this. Haven't even clicked any pictures. This post is just to record the service and the costs. Will post some pictures and updates soon after I am able to take the car on a long drive.
graaja is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 12:41   #400
BHPian

Quote:

Below is the invoice for the strut replacement.
Was alignment not mentioned separately in invoice? OR not done at all?

PS: Any suspension component replacement needs wheel alignment, IMO. I think BMW also recommends this.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 12:44   #401
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Was alignment not mentioned separately in invoice? OR not done at all?

PS: Any suspension component replacement needs wheel alignment, IMO. I think BMW also recommends this.
I had not thought about this. I will have to check with them. My guess is that it was most probably not done as I usually get it done outside. I will still check with them. Thank you for pointing this out.

EDIT: Talked to the service manager. As you said wheel alignment is mandatory on suspension component change. As wheel alignment would have cost additional 6K, they did it under goodwill and did not include it in the invoice

Last edited by graaja : 16th August 2022 at 12:54.
graaja is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 17:10   #402
BHPian

Hi,
One of my front struts was leaking oil. BMW replaced both front struts and also the control arm bushes as a precautionary measure under Warranty.

Wheel Alignment was done, but was charged 4000+ GST. I did not mind paying it considering that they effectively put in a new front suspension under warranty.

The parts were available in stock, though they took 3 days to return the car, as the service was also due under BSI.

But surprised that the shocker strut and bushes gave up in under 45000 kms. I am pretty gentle on my car and generally drive on good roads.

Rgds

Vineet
VineetG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 17:25   #403
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Hi,
One of my front struts was leaking oil. BMW replaced both front struts and also the control arm bushes as a precautionary measure under Warranty.

But surprised that the shocker strut and bushes gave up in under 45000 kms. I am pretty gentle on my car and generally drive on good roads.
BMW is very good with warranty coverage. If it were not for my MSport suspension upgrade they would have replaced it under warranty. Even Dr.AD had both his front struts replaced under warranty just before his warranty was about to expire.

Maybe the bad roads result in the struts getting damaged soon. My car has done more than 70000 kilometers with these struts and the other three struts are doing good.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 16:19   #404
BHPian

Quote:
My car has done more than 70000 kilometers with these struts and the other three struts are doing good.
Hi graaja. Did you mention 3 struts ? I believe the struts should be changed in pairs or else the good one takes uneven load and prematurely wears out.
PapaBravo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 17:00   #405
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Hi graaja. Did you mention 3 struts ? I believe the struts should be changed in pairs or else the good one takes uneven load and prematurely wears out.
Ideally, I should have changed both the front struts. But due to the high cost involved (45K per strut), I decided to change just the leaky one. I made this decision after the service manager said this can be done. Whether this is a right decision, time will tell
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks