Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2023, 08:59   #466
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up

graaja, I hope the wire patch is soldered and not just the copper strands twisted and covered with insulation tape. If not soldered, I would suggest you do it with heat shrink tubing.

On an average, how many kms do the front and rear brake pads have lasted for you?
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 09:23   #467
Team-BHP Support

re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
graaja, I hope the wire patch is soldered and not just the copper strands twisted and covered with insulation tape. If not soldered, I would suggest you do it with heat shrink tubing.

On an average, how many kms do the front and rear brake pads have lasted for you?
Thank you. Yes. I plan to rework these patches, and solder them, and seal them with heat-shrinking tubes.

Regarding the life of brake pads: below is the list of pad changes and distance at which they were changed.

Front pads - 21000 km
Front pads + discs - 47100
Front pads - 71250

Rear pads - 33800
Rear pads + discs - 68500

Front pads last anywhere between 21K to 24K km. Rear pads last about 34K km. Discs are changed during every other pad change.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 18:08   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
My friend RobiMahanta gave me some tips on managing rat menace.
You can also buy few packs of rat cube/cakes (Hit, Mortein or any other local brands) and leave it near the area over next few days. They eat, go away, and die in few days. You have to leave few pieces everyday for few days in the night to kill the whole gang.

Edit: Please keep the cakes outside the car

Last edited by Latheesh : 26th August 2023 at 18:15.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 18:11   #469
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
You can also buy few packs of rat cube/cakes (Hit, Mortein or any other local brands) and leave it in the area over next few days. They eat, go away, and die in few days. You have to leave few pieces everyday for few days in the night to kill the whole gang.
Thank you. That is a good idea. Will add this to the list as well
Old 26th August 2023, 23:13   #470
BHPian

I had a rat bite in my car and had to change the complete wiring harness.

The service center folks advised me to keep dried tobacco leaves in the corner of the engine bay (Available for Rs.20 in local shops). From then on, I am using that and will change it monthly once to keep the rats away. And it seems to work.
RaghavEvoX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 20:24   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghavEvoX View Post
I had a rat bite in my car and had to change the complete wiring harness.

The service center folks advised me to keep dried tobacco leaves in the corner of the engine bay (Available for Rs.20 in local shops). From then on, I am using that and will change it monthly once to keep the rats away. And it seems to work.
There is a product available on Amazon. I guess its called Bitter. I have had success with that. Also if I keep the car stationery for too long when i am travelling, I keep a couple of Camphor balls in the engine bay, when its completely cooled down. Maybe this could help.
cedricsg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 17:54   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Agree to it. Any small issue and part is replaced. Air intake duct was making slight noise in X1 20d engine bay, replaced. Damper pully making slight noise at 54,000 kms, replaced. No questions asked. One of the best warranty policy.
I must respectfully disagree, as my personal experience with BMW's warranty policy has been quite the opposite. In my encounters with warranty claims, I found myself having to send my car to them on multiple occasions. Initially, they attempted makeshift repairs, and it was only after 3-4 visits that they approved replacement. This situation applied to almost all the parts of my car. Eventually, I reached a point where I decided to cease tolerating this, and I initiated legal action and filed a court case against BMW and their Mumbai dealer.
Old 9th September 2023, 18:02   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi58 View Post
I must respectfully disagree, as my personal experience with BMW's warranty policy has been quite the opposite. In my encounters with warranty claims, I found myself having to send my car to them on multiple occasions. Initially, they attempted makeshift repairs, and it was only after 3-4 visits that they approved replacement. This situation applied to almost all the parts of my car. Eventually, I reached a point where I decided to cease tolerating this, and I initiated legal action and filed a court case against BMW and their Mumbai dealer.
Sorry to hear about your poor experience with BMW. Which dealer were you sending your car? For me since past 5 years its been to BMW Infinity Cars, Turbhe Navi Mumbai and they have been exceptional.

What issues you faced and which car are you using? Reliability wise BMW has been good so far.
Old 9th September 2023, 18:30   #474
BHPian

It's that same BMW Infinity Cars dealer, they really messed up my sunroof replacement. You can find all the details in this link. The issue has now escalated to a court case.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...lity-work.html (BMW dealer botched up sunroof replacement under warranty | Horrible quality of work)
Old 18th September 2023, 20:36   #475
Team-BHP Support

Oil service and front brake pads replacement - CBS notification

On the weekend, had to drive to Sivakasi for a function. This was a 580km round trip. Before I started the drive, below were the service notifications.

Oil change - 2300 KM
Front brake pads - 9000 KM
Rear brake pads - 8000 KM

After I completed this trip, I got the below two notifications.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-engine-oil.jpeg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-brake-pads.jpeg

Front brake pads dropped from 9000km to 1200km in just 600km.

The rear pads now show a life of 7000km on the iDrive, but from visual inspection, the rear brake pads are as worn out as the front and may trigger a notification very soon. Will send the car to the workshop this week for service and ask them to replace the rear pads too. Will update once done.
graaja is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 17:56   #476
Team-BHP Support

10th oil service, front and rear brake pads and discs replaced:

After the service notifications on the iDrive for the oil service and front pads replacement, I booked an appointment with BMW and took the car to the workshop in the morning. Following were the tasks to be completed.

1. Oil service
2. Front pads and disc replacement. Last time only the pads were replaced. So, the discs would need replacement this time.
3. Rear brake pads inspection and replacement
4. Door beading replacement

The door beading had not yet arrived and could not be replaced. Will get it replaced during the next visit.

The iDrive was showing rear brake pads replacement in 7000 km. And I have a long road trip coming up shortly. Last time during my road trip to Arunachal, I had a similar situation. But last time, the iDrive was showing 14000 km life for the pads and the thickness was around 5mm. This time, the pads before my 580km drive had a thickness of 3.5mm to 4mm. If the pads were a little above the replacement threshold and BMW does not agree to replace the pads, I will definitely have to get it replaced somewhere during my road trip and lose a day.

Thankfully, when they checked the pad thickness, they found that one side of the pad had worn out below 3mm. They also found that the discs also had worn out below the spec and BMW approved the replacement of both the pads and the discs. That is one big relief for me ahead of the long drive.

A few pictures from the workshop.

Inside the workshop.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-workshop.jpg

On the lift.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-lift.jpg

New discs in the rear.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-rear-discs.jpg

New discs in the front.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-front-disc.jpg

Getting washed.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-wash.jpg

The total invoice for the service was about 1.4L, 1.3L for parts and 8.2K for labor. Covered by BSI+

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-labor-invoice.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-parts-invoice.jpg

Overall another satisfactory service experience. The car is now fresh and ready for the long drive ahead.

Rear tires replaced:

The rear tires had another 2K of life left. As I wanted to avoid a tire change during the road trip, got them replaced. Sourced 2 numbers of 245/45/R18 Vredestein Ultrac tires from a Chennai dealer and got them replaced. Used one of the removed tires to make a full size spare wheel, and discarded the other tire.

New shoes.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-new-shoes.jpg

Wheels removed.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-img_8097.jpg

New tires are being fixed.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-new-tires-being-fixed.jpg

Wheel balancing.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-wheel-balancing.jpg

Wheel alignment.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-alignment.jpg

Full-size spare wheel ready. The only issue is this occupies almost half the boot space!
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-full-size-spare.jpg

And 98000 kilometers up.

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-98k-up.jpg

That's all folks, I have for now!

Last edited by graaja : 27th September 2023 at 18:52.
graaja is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 22:15   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Rear tires replaced:

Sourced 2 numbers of 245/45/R18 Vredestein Ultrac tires from a Chennai dealer and got them replaced. Used one of the removed tires to make a full size spare wheel, and discarded the other tire.
What were the cost of following?
1. Tires
2. Hunter Wheel Alignment
3. Hunter Wheel Balancing

Any unconditional warranty on Vredestein Ultrac tires?

Thanks for the update.
Old 28th September 2023, 05:09   #478
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
What were the cost of following?
1. Tires
2. Hunter Wheel Alignment
3. Hunter Wheel Balancing
Any unconditional warranty on Vredestein Ultrac tires?
1. The tires cost 16.1k per piece. 32.2K total.
2 & 3. I paid a total of 2.5K for installing 3 tires (two rear wheels, and one spare wheel), wheel balancing of 5 wheels, and wheel alignment. I did not get the cost breakup.

The last time I bought the Vredesteins from Madhus, they did a warranty replacement. But I am not sure about the warranty clause though. This time, I forgot to check about warranty. I have now written to the dealer who supplied the tires about warranty replacement. Thank you for bringing this up.
graaja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 10:06   #479
BHPian

Nice to hear the car getting close to 100k KM milestone and still going strong.

As I had previously stated, one perusal of your car ownership and one can't help getting a liking for this car. I like the GT, and the 10th service has nothing out of blue replacements, albeit the repeated brake pads replacement intervals in your case are much too often, but then that may be due to the fact you take the ride from the scruff of its neck and drive.

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th October 2023 at 06:07. Reason: Minor spacing fix.
ritedhawan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 02:48   #480
BHPian

Nice thread, great car, it’d be interesting to see how much BSI+ has saved you and how much you have had to pay out of pocket so far in your near milestone 95k kms and 10 services.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks