Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2014, 21:33   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which sedan/SUV under 30 Lakhs OTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
If I were in your place, I would just sell the Ikon and buy a petrol City. With you're budget, you can buy it and spend rest $$$ on petrol.

Reasons:[list][*]Good dynamics
Agree about the i-VTEC being absolutely marvelous, but I'm sorry, how does the City contest for good dynamic capabilities? Especially in the face of the Fiesta, Linea, SX4 and even Vento/Rapid? At most, the City offers better dynamics than a Verna; but that really isn't saying much is it?

I too think that Ikon is a waste of space, but I totally understand how the OP feels (got a similar ride that I just can't part with) However, if one can afford something upto 30lakhs, why settle for less? I'm not saying all of that money ought to be spent, but we still haven't reached the age, where we can truly compare a C2 segment car with D1/D2/Entry-level-luxury segment cars. Most of these expensive offerings really do distinguish themselves from C2 segment sedans.
Old 13th July 2014, 23:20   #317
BHPian

Re: Which sedan/SUV under 30 Lakhs OTR?

Have you considered the Honda CR-V? It is like an SUV, but with the comfort of a spacious sedan. Since you will be running this car in either Ranchi/Jamshedpur (my guess), the running costs shouldn't matter much on a petrol. At the current prices, the diesel/petrol mileage difference should be closer to 20-30% which shouldn't cause much difference in running costs given the lower price of entry for the CR-V.
Old 28th July 2014, 10:51   #318
BHPian

2014 A4/3/c ?

Hey guys, I'd like to have some pointers from some of the experienced team-bhp members regarding as to which car my father should pick up.
He plans to buy the car within 2-3 months. Currently, he drives a Civic 1.8V AT and it's clocked more than 1 lac kilometers. And my father doesn't keep a driver. ( If anyone of you are from Bangalore, my father travels to Electronics City daily from Jayanagar. And the traffic get's nasty on the way back. Almost bumper to bumper sometimes ).

The cars currently in the family are a Hyundai i10 Asta MT, a Hyundai Verna 1.6 SX(O) AT and the aforementioned Honda Civic 1.8V AT. So that's a hatchback and two sedans.

The budget decided is around 30-36 lacs on road.

We had a debate on whether to choose an SUV next as we already have a sedan. We checked out the Hyundai Santa Fe yesterday and both me and my dad thought it was a pretty neat and solid product in the offerings. However though, my dad felt it was a tad too bulky for normal city commute ( which is 98% of his driving ). And that's why my dad is preferring to go in for a sedan again.

Now, I need you guys to help me out with this. If it's a sedan or a SUV, which one in the market would fit our budget and needs ? The needs being easy to drive, not too much on maintenance, reliable and also a little upscale brand-wise.

And also, if someone could shed some light on these year-end discounts that the big 3 Germans offer on their cars, it would be helpful. I know these offers are there. And I know of many people who have availed it. But the sales reps don't seem that approachable whenever I try to bring it up. They change the topic a tad too quick. If I could have any pointers in regard to how to approach this and what exactly I could expect in discounts, it would be really great.

And if anyone has purchased a car in this range recently, could you please share the On-Road price with us and also the discounts/benefits you availed from the Dealer ?
Old 10th September 2014, 09:40   #319
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoaib3030 View Post
Hey guys, I'd like to have some pointers from some of the experienced team-bhp members regarding as to which car my father should pick up.
Frankly looking at your needs regarding a reliable and low on maintainace vehicle, I can suggest either the Santa-Fe or the fortuner automatic. Toyota's reliability needs no mention. The big 3 Germans do offer some good products in your price range but their upkeep is always going to be high. Your only saviour is the BMW's BSI package.
The 320d is a good option within your budget, but as far as I know you get better discounts with the X1.
The X1 will offer your dad a sedan in the disguise of an SUV.
So basically if you are keen on a no-nonsense SUV, I can only think of the fortuner auto or Santa Fe.( considering the fact that you prefer automatics, otherwise the pajero sport is a good choice)
If a no-nonsense petrol sedan- Camry & Teanna
If something from the German stable- X1/320d (with BSI).
All the best
Asit

Last edited by noopster : 10th September 2014 at 10:18. Reason: Please don't quote a large post in its entirety- makes it difficult for our small-screen users
Old 10th September 2014, 11:07   #320
BHPian

Re: 2014 A4/3/c ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoaib3030 View Post

The budget decided is around 30-36 lacs on road.

Now, I need you guys to help me out with this. If it's a sedan or a SUV,
Given the above options, I think you're be good with a Fortuner or a C-Class Merc.

But would you be open to smaller siblings from the Germans? For in city use they'd be very well suited. Audi A3, Merc A-Class, BMW 1-Series.
Old 10th September 2014, 19:47   #321
BHPian

Re: 2014 A4/3/c ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Frankly looking at your needs regarding a reliable and low on maintainace vehicle, I can suggest either the Santa-Fe or the fortuner automatic. Toyota's reliability needs no mention. The big 3 Germans do offer some good products in your price range but their upkeep is always going to be high. Your only saviour is the BMW's BSI package.
The 320d is a good option within your budget, but as far as I know you get better discounts with the X1.
The X1 will offer your dad a sedan in the disguise of an SUV.
So basically if you are keen on a no-nonsense SUV, I can only think of the fortuner auto or Santa Fe.( considering the fact that you prefer automatics, otherwise the pajero sport is a good choice)
If a no-nonsense petrol sedan- Camry & Teanna
If something from the German stable- X1/320d (with BSI).
All the best
Asit
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
Given the above options, I think you're be good with a Fortuner or a C-Class Merc.

But would you be open to smaller siblings from the Germans? For in city use they'd be very well suited. Audi A3, Merc A-Class, BMW 1-Series.
Heys guys, thanks for your warm responses. We have already gone ahead and purchased an Audi A4 Premium Edition in white. Loving the car I tell you
Old 17th September 2014, 16:20   #322
BHPian

Re: 25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow BHPians

Hi Folks

I am looking to purchase a car within this price range i.e. 25-30 lakhs. I was initially looking at the XUV but now I am leaning more towards the fortuner and would like to explore other options in the same price range. Currently, only the fortuner seems to be on the list. Are there other options I should be looking at esp among the 3 german manufacturers?

Ideally, I want an automatic. The space should be at least equivalent to my current ride - a civic. No compromise on safety. My ride is almost exclusively city driving. I have a slipped disc - so would prefer something with riding comfort too.

Thanks
Kartik
Old 17th September 2014, 16:39   #323
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
Hi Folks

I am looking to purchase a car within this price range i.e. 25-30 lakhs. I was initially looking at the XUV but now I am leaning more towards the fortuner and would like to explore other options in the same price range. Currently, only the fortuner seems to be on the list. Are there other options I should be looking at esp among the 3 german manufacturers?

Ideally, I want an automatic. The space should be at least equivalent to my current ride - a civic. No compromise on safety. My ride is almost exclusively city driving. I have a slipped disc - so would prefer something with riding comfort too.

Thanks
Kartik
Well they way I see it, leave the Fortuner out its got a very bumpy ride and won't do your slip disc any favours.

One option is the facelifted Yeti. Its got everything you could want besides the automatic. It is comfortable, safe, solid, easy to drive and is the perfect size for the city. Check it out.

The X1 has huge discounts now. You may be able to get a Sportline for around 30l. The base model will definitely be below 30l.

The Santa Fe is there, and is a well loaded and comfortable car. If you don't mind the badge it is a very capable product.

The Koleos is another option, which isn't selling at all. But its supposed to be comfortable and has an auto option.

If you are open to a sedan then there is the Superb which is, well, superb. The Camry is also available but without any safety features. The 3 series base model should be under 30l too.

Guess it depends what you want.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 18:15   #324
BHPian

Try the Audi A3, not as big as the Civic but will fit your budget. Or maybe the A4, which you will most probably need to up your budget.

Amongst the Mercs, try the B Series which is roomier than the A series. The present C Series falls short on space - wait for the new C Cl;ass, which promises a lot. Being a new car the dealers will not offer any discounts.

In the BMW's all models within your budget are short on space, specially in the rear seat.

Why not try the Jetta - you could get the 2.0 Highline DSG with a fair amount of money to spare
Old 18th September 2014, 00:50   #325
BHPian

Forget Fortuner, for its harsh ride quality. For SUV under 30 lacs, go for Santa Fe. You may also look for small crossovers such as Skoda Yeti and Volvo v40. If you want sedans, consider Audi A3, Skoda Superb, VW Jetta.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 18th September 2014, 08:09   #326
Senior - BHPian

If you want a plush and comfy ride, look no further than the Nissan Teana

Nothing this side of 50 lacs compares to the comfort levels offered by the Teana. You must experience it to believe it so please do atleast take a test drive
Old 18th September 2014, 08:09   #327
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Try the Audi A3, not as big as the Civic but will fit your budget. Or maybe the A4, which you will most probably need to up your budget.

Amongst the Mercs, try the B Series which is roomier than the A series. The present C Series falls short on space
Not only will the A3 be more than 30 lakhs OTR (unless you opt for the poverty-spec variant in some cities), the space available is comparable to the Polo / Vento. It's no where near as spacious as the Civic's, and our friend's requirement is a car with Civic-like space and accommodation.

Ideally, he should consider a Jetta / Octavia. The Yeti in AT guise would have been perfect.

The big Germans that fall in that price-bracket are woefully short on space.
Old 18th September 2014, 10:46   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Why don't you also look at the Rexton? Its quite luxurious and comes with all the gadgets and safety features. I would not recommend a sedan for someone suffering from slip disc as getting in and out and seating on a low set seat is not going to be comfortable for you. Rather the high and upright seating of a SUV will prove to be much more comfortable. Fortuner though has a very harsh and bumpy ride quality and hence stay away from it.
Old 18th September 2014, 11:21   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
Hiya.

As some have pointed out, the Yeti could be perfect for you, but if an automatic is a must that rules it out completely.

My pick for you would be the B-Class since you're looking at options from the big 3. While it's perhaps not as spacious as the Civic, it is loaded to the gills with safety features, is comfortable and easy to drive and ticks a lot of boxes for you in general. The A-Class is a lot sexier and more desirable, and my pick of the two, but I can't recommend it to you since space might be at a premium at the back.

The A3 is the best of all the offerings from the big 3 in that price bracket, but space is at a serious premium in the A3. There is also, like Suhaas said, little to no chance of getting it within 30 big ones. The X1 can be considered though, its space is comparable to the B-Class but it looks quite the fuddy duddy in comparison to the B, which is saying something since the B itself looks very prosaic. That's just my opinion on its looks.

If you're willing to look beyond the big 3 (and you should ), the Jetta and Octavia are excellent options. The Octavia is slightly more spacious and has the better interiors, but the choice between the two (as far as automatics go) is very simple; if it's a diesel, get the Jetta. If it's a petrol, go for the Octavia, but be aware that the Octavia has a huge waiting period, although some like Suhaas got it in super quick time (just a month).

Good luck, happy shopping.
Old 18th September 2014, 12:04   #330
Senior - BHPian

Just read about the whole slip disc thing; getting in and out of a low slung sedan might be a little difficult. So why not try the Volvo V40? Practical, best seats around, looks great, rare, know a friend who owns one and she has had no reliability issues either.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks