Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2014, 16:40   #31

re: Live with BMW 320D, or trade it for a Fortuner?

My two Cents !! How about the new Mercedes GLA class that is launched today, it might be little over your current budget but since it is a crossover and a Mercedes, it should take care of your current worries.
Rajant14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 19:46   #32
BHPian

Aroon, am joining this party a little late. Given your requirement is SUV like stance and a good ride quality - have a look at both Pajero Sport and the Renault Duster. The Sport has the snob value, and is a well sorted car. The Renault Duster is not snob, but everyone swears by its ride quality.

If at all you look at the Fortuner - you should look to change the suspensions to Tien (another 1.5 lakhs), and you will have way smoother rides.

If of course, budget is not a constraint - you might want to consider the JLR Rover family as well.

Hope I have added enough confusion to the clarity
anshuman_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 22:55   #33
BHPian

Thanks for trying to confuse me more folks.

However, good news is, I am far less confused for the time being. Reason - while I was having all the doubts and second thoughts of parting away with the Bimmer, and suddenly in the last 2 days I had developed new found love for the car, my dearest friend who wanted to buy the car, came and snatched the keys and just drove off.

All I could do was just wipe my tears...phew, and realized I loved the car so much. Don't get mad at me guys...it was my first luxury sedan. 20 years back when I left my village and came to delhi, all I had was a LML vespa scooter, given to me generously by my father, who went back to a Hero cycle. In October 1998 or 99, I saw a pair of santro's for the first time. I and my wife could not gather courage to go near it as we dreaded that someone might shoo us away. My wife wanted to go near it, but I would not allow her. Seeing sadness over her face, I promised her, that before I die, I would buy her a Santro.

That was the dream. Bimmer was never even a dream. It was an object way beyond even desiring.

Pardon me for the emotional outburst. I am sad...and also happy that it went to my dearest friend, who I am sure will love it and take care of it more than I ever could.

Anyhow, I am back to my dear old Safari. After my wife, my partner and friend for the longest time. One in which I carried my baby home from the hospital. One in which I carried all the wood and steel and the paint for my under-construction house at that time..

Regarding the new car, Fortuner is definitely out. I will take a dekko at the Pajero Sport. Many people have suggested it. I must. I was tad too scared of it. Dont see Mitusbhishi logo too much these days. My cousin had a Pajero earlier and he hated the mileage. Also, I drove it once and did not find the interiors great. But I guess PS is a totally new car. Or May be I will look at a stop gap for 1 year...like a DC Storme, or even a Thar. Something different! For now a Sedan just does not work for me. Has to be a SUV.

I need to breathe....some space is that what I need.

And people, I would appreciate if I can be given some more views on getting a modified SUV. Also, a used car will just not work for me. Has to be new.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajant14 View Post
My two Cents !! How about the new Mercedes GLA class that is launched today, it might be little over your current budget but since it is a crossover and a Mercedes, it should take care of your current worries.
Merc guy came yesterday to my office with GLA brochure. Good guy that he was, he himself went away telling me that rear legspace is a problem in it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
We can go on about how there are sedans with good ride quality and driving dynamics. However, the fact remains that you will have to brake for potholes and other terrain alterations on India's roads. So though I am not a fan of SUVs, if you are not a hardcore enthusiast, nor an environmentalist, and "image" plays a huge factor in your circles (and you don't think you have the capacity to change that) then an SUV offers the most peace of mind. Check out the Audi Q3 since it has got comfy ride and an Audi badge or the Pajero Sport which apart from the Fortuner, is the only other sub 30lakh SUV that commands respect. Fortuner is not worth another look because of the lack of enough safety features and poor ride quality.
Exactly my thoughts.

Q3 is out. I think its a great car. I drove it and loved it. But I dont want it. I dont know why. May be because its neither a sedan...not a full blue SUV. An X1 or A3 I find them neither here, nor there in terms of their looks.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st October 2014 at 01:31. Reason: Posts merged. Use MULTI-QUOTE/QUOTE+ when responding to multple posts, please. Thanks!
Aroongupta is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 00:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

That's really an inspiring story from "at least santro" in life to "what next after BMW" !

May be its little over the budget but have a look at Volvo V40 as well. Or new Honda CR-V is also an option in the Fortuner price range. Any on has idea about leg room in these 2 vehicles?
recshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 01:10   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroongupta View Post

Has to be a SUV.

And people, I would appreciate if I can be given some more views on getting a modified SUV. Also, a used car will just not work for me. Has to be new
How about Hyundai Santa Fe?

As recshenoy has suggested, do look at Volvo V40 and Honda CR-V.

Anurag.
Old 1st October 2014, 03:34   #36
BHPian

Quote:
1998 or 99, I saw a pair of santro's for the first time. I and my wife could not gather courage to go near it as we dreaded that someone might shoo us away.
This is truly inspiring. From a Santro in '98 to beyond BMW in '14. OT, but I have just two questions for you - What do you do, and how do you do it .
Old 1st October 2014, 04:23   #37
BHPian

Quote:
20 years back when I left my village and came to delhi, all I had was a LML vespa scooter, given to me generously by my father, who went back to a Hero cycle. In October 1998 or 99, I saw a pair of santro's for the first time. I and my wife could not gather courage to go near it as we dreaded that someone might shoo us away. My wife wanted to go near it, but I would not allow her. Seeing sadness over her face, I promised her, that before I die, I would buy her a Santro.
What an inspiring story. Hats off and salutes to you. From a LML Vespa scooter to a BMW! Not an easy upgrade. You must have toiled hard to achieve that!

What was your wife's first reaction when you bought the Safari and BMW?
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 08:05   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
This is truly inspiring. From a Santro in '98 to beyond BMW in '14. OT, but I have just two questions for you - What do you do, and how do you do it .
He He...thank you very much.

I am 1994 B Tech Electrical. Electrical Engineering got me my Santro. Then I shifted to IT. Got lucky to work with IBMs & Dells of the world. They got me my Hyundai Accent, Toyota Carina, Honda City and Safari. And then I left IT and opened my own Real Estate Marketing Company. This got me the Bimmer.

Finding opportunities, bit of Risk taking ability and hard work takes everyone everywhere. I am no special. But thanks anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
What was your wife's first reaction when you bought the Safari and BMW?
USELESS EXTRAVAGANCE !!!

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st October 2014 at 08:13.
Aroongupta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 09:29   #39
Senior - BHPian

Wow. You really are a high achiever and inspiration to the rest of us out here.
You really have made your folks proud.
Amazing! Hats off!

Quote:
Don't get mad at me guys...it was my first luxury sedan. 20 years back when I left my village and came to delhi, all I had was a LML vespa scooter, given to me generously by my father, who went back to a Hero cycle. In October 1998 or 99, I saw a pair of santro's for the first time. I and my wife could not gather courage to go near it as we dreaded that someone might shoo us away. My wife wanted to go near it, but I would not allow her. Seeing sadness over her face, I promised her, that before I die, I would buy her a Santro.

That was the dream. Bimmer was never even a dream. It was an object way beyond even desiring.

Pardon me for the emotional outburst. I am sad...and also happy that it went to my dearest friend, who I am sure will love it and take care of it more than I ever could.
shankar.balan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 12:22   #40
BHPian

Yes you are right we must not encourage the manufacturers! However, if you notice this discussion is about the ride comfort of our fellow BHPian !

Keeping that in perspective, the SUVs like Fortuner and Pajero certainly do not make sense as they particularly focus on off road capabilities. Also regardless whether you are in an SUV or sedan you will brake for our wonderful speed breakers and pot holes (probably brake less in an SUV!!)

That leaves the likes of Santa Fe and Honda CRV which are ok.

However, a sedan like Camry has the image and a good back seat with a smooth ride. I happen to be driven in one and found it rather smooth. And with Toyota's excellent after sales service, our friend here for whom maintenance is also a concern should be well taken care of!
Old 1st October 2014, 13:44   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
How about Hyundai Santa Fe?

As recshenoy has suggested, do look at Volvo V40 and Honda CR-V.

Anurag.
+1 to the santa fe. it should suit all your requirements minus the badge. it is a very well rounded SUV.
Old 1st October 2014, 14:14   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for trying to confuse me more folks.

All I could do was just wipe my tears...phew, and realized I loved the car so much. Don't get mad at me guys...it was my first luxury sedan. 20 years back when I left my village and came to delhi, all I had was a LML vespa scooter, given to me generously by my father, who went back to a Hero cycle. In October 1998 or 99, I saw a pair of santro's for the first time. I and my wife could not gather courage to go near it as we dreaded that someone might shoo us away. My wife wanted to go near it, but I would not allow her. Seeing sadness over her face, I promised her, that before I die, I would buy her a Santro.

Truly an Inspiring story. More so as I am myself an Electrical Engineer and my first drive was a Santro.

Coming to address your main topic, I have nothing against DC, I Like his work but somehow I feel a modified SUV doesn't help you make a statement (strictly my perception). If at all you insist on custom made / modified vehicle why not a limo? I am not sure whether it will be an apple to apple comparison as I am not very conversant with the costs involved. But I am sure besides making a statement, it will be a enviable signature.

I guess you you rightly have ruled out the Fortuner by now. Its only a better looking Innova (from the outside strictly) though the later is a better value proposition than its costlier sibling. As already suggested by numerous others in this thread check out the CRV, Pajero and Santa Fe in that order.

And once again Kudos and congratulations on you success story. Stories like yours inspire dreamers achieve beyond their desires.
Old 1st October 2014, 14:17   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have hated and literally hated the space it provides and the very bumpy ride quality.... The car is not as great a fun it used to be. Somehow the peppiness is missing.
Yes it is a car with peppy performance but I traveled in a nearly 3 year old 320d and noticed that during flat out overtaking maneuver the engine really cries and is very much audible.
Another important aspect that I noticed was that, there is no provision on the door pads to keep your water bottle. Keeping the chilled water bottle in the seat back pockets makes the frost to drip down messing it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Live with BMW 320D, or trade it for a Fortuner?-bmw.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 1st October 2014 at 14:23.
Old 3rd October 2014, 18:29   #44
BHPian

Quote:
He He...thank you very much.

I am 1994 B Tech Electrical. Electrical Engineering got me my Santro. Then I shifted to IT. Got lucky to work with IBMs & Dells of the world. They got me my Hyundai Accent, Toyota Carina, Honda City and Safari. And then I left IT and opened my own Real Estate Marketing Company. This got me the Bimmer.

Finding opportunities, bit of Risk taking ability and hard work takes everyone everywhere. I am no special. But thanks anyways.

USELESS EXTRAVAGANCE !!!

.[/b]
Thats cool.
I jumped from Swift to X Trail and too happy with decision.
Please don't go for Rexton. My partner sold Cruze and bought Rexton. Besides space it has nothing to mention about it. PS is better anyday. It has more pliant ride, also bit more body roll.
If budget is not a constraint, have a look at Volvo XC 60 with updated engine and gearbox. Though dynamically not in league of Germans, its super comfortable, good ride and safe like vault.
One of my friend, who too is an achiever like you just bought Porsche Cayenne GTS after using Honda Accord V6 for five years.
A day trip to Ahmedabad made me realize why its called ultimate SUV.
Old 3rd October 2014, 22:55   #45
BHPian

Sir you could also consider XC60 and Skoda Yeti. They weigh right into your budget as well apart from having softer ride.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks