Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2014, 22:27   #16
BHPian

To each his own but do factor the snob value for the dough spent. Secondly if you are behind the wheel do insist on a long test drive. I zeroed down on my W212 after a 150km test drive. Though the facelifted E has its own flaws but its worth every penny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Since you are planning to drive on your own then why not also check out the BMW?
BMW are driver focussed but I wasnt happy the way 520d performed at highway speeds compared to the facelifted W212. It could not inspire that confidence which I felt with the BMW E90. I guess the new generation BMW do have the float feel at highway speeds.

Last edited by aah78 : 6th December 2014 at 01:45. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
E90-E250 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 13:20   #17
BHPian

Re: Mercedes: W205 C-Class vs W212 E-Class

Last night I was invited to Joshi Autozone's new dealership and the launch of the new C in Chandigarh.
At the event I met Mr. Boris Fitz (VP, Sales and Network Dev.) and straight off, this topic was in my head so I asked him whether MB is concerned with the cannibalisation effect that the new C might have on the E. He said that the two cars are quite different from each other. The C is for the person who likes to drive himself and for whom boot space isnt a priority. The E is for the practical man. Tons of space and touring capabilities. The C he said isn't really that sporty of the two either when you consider the powerful E350.

But then I asked what about this whole "Baby S" image they are creating for the C? He said that they aren't doing it, the media is. And MB is fine with it as long as they get the footfalls from all the attention.

Talked to him a bit more about if its possible to visit the plant in Stuttgart and he was like why not. Asked me to drop him an email and he will work it out. Infact he insisted that I must visit the plant after I told him I will be visiting the BMW Welt in December.
veedub89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 14:03   #18
BHPian

Guys he's a Merc lover as his name suggests. A Merc Lover may not compromise his love for the three pointed star for the sake of a BMW or an Audi(which are no doubt equally good).

However it wont come as a surprise if you manage to get an Audi with a heavy discount since these guys have to make to cut and break even in this premium segment. Top notch value for money and worth every penny if you can still persuade the dealer to squeeze in discounts and other goodies.
Old 6th December 2014, 14:54   #19
BHPian

When is a facelift for the current E class expected. I do not want to end up seeing a facelift rolling out within 12 months of me having bought a new E and then find out that it's now 1 generation old already....hope you can understand what I mean.
Old 6th December 2014, 15:51   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc_lover666 View Post
When is a facelift for the current E class expected. I do not want to end up seeing a facelift rolling out within 12 months of me having bought a new E and then find out that it's now 1 generation old already....hope you can understand what I mean.
The W212 E class has already got the mid life face-lift, the next gen E class W213 is going to be launched in 2017.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 16:59   #21

Dear MercLover, reading your post and others responses it seems very clear you should go ahead with the W212 E-class. For it is the more superior car here.

At a marginal price difference you get a bigger, better, roomier, potentially faster car. Not to forget the updated E is a looker in its own right. Go right ahead. Swing a good deal. Get the W212. And delight us with your ownership thread.
Old 6th December 2014, 18:14   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would buy the E250cdi in this case. The E250cdi has about 6l of discounts now, even more if the dealer has any in stock without the panoramic roof. The E250 will be peppier to drive than the C200, which IMO isn't a spectacular engine. While the C has the baby S looks, and is newer I don't see any other reason to pick it up.
Old 6th December 2014, 18:18   #23
BHPian

Thanks all. From the above it is amply clear now. Will proceed and go for the E. Thanks all again and special to Fintail for his kind comments.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th December 2014 at 19:31. Reason: Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.
Old 6th December 2014, 19:01   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

In about a week's time after the purchase, one would totally forget about the price and discount aspects of the car. What remains with you everyday is how you feel about owing and driving the car which in my opinion is a very personal and subjective aspect. My guess is E class would score better in every aspect except for "better looking interiors" and "end of life cycle". I wouldn't worry much about 'end of life cycle' as the roads will soon be flooded with new C class and E is likely to be without glitches. So it just boils down to "better interiors" vs "everything else better".
androdev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 15:22   #25
BHPian

If you are thinking on driving yourself, then why don't you go for the BMW-the 3serie, since its been around for a while and as GTO said its not a very new German machine which implies that it has lesser no. of issues.
Moreover, the bimmer gives a better driving experience too!
Old 7th December 2014, 15:41   #26
BHPian

Mercedes: W205 C-Class vs W212 E-Class

A friend picked up the outgoing C in Delhi for 27 oTR. Does that tempt you / add to the confusion!?
Primarily coz you mentioned self drive.
Old 8th December 2014, 12:37   #27
BHPian

I've little different opinion here.

Agree that E-class will have more snob value than C-Class, but till the next launch of E-Class (speculated in 2017 as per post above) it is C-Class which will catch more attention due to its resemblance with S-Class. Also, C-Class interiors looks more modern than E-Class on any day.

I advise you to go for a pre-owned C-class (easily gettable below 20 lakhs) for a year, and sell it off later. By that time, the initial euphoria will settle down for C-Class and it would be cheaper to buy, as pointed by GTO. And we might get some concrete news on E-Class update later the year, which will help you further to decide amongst C or E, OR something else might pop up then!
Your call at the end
Old 8th December 2014, 14:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I am planning to buy a new luxury car for my daily commute from my home in Breach Candy to my office in Tardeo plus some small weekend drives of about 50 km each weekend. Total running would be about 1000 km every month. I am mostly considering going in for a new E or a C.

However the launch of the new C class has left me totally confused. The new C looks much like the new S, the overall design of the C in fact looks much more plush and striking than the current E class. However the snob value of the E badge is something that too is utterly desirable.

Today I called the Mercedes Sales i.e. Auto Hangar and learnt that the C class petrol outside Octroi limits is 50,50,000/- Approx on road, does not make a difference if you register it as a corporate or individuals car as road tax will be of the highest slab as it is a CBU. Compared to this the E 200 is available for 52,80,000 Approx on road outside octroi limit if registered in an individual's name. In addition to this I have learnt from reliable sources that there is a hefty discount of about 6-7 lakhs available on the E class..though had been strictly advised to not share this.

Now my dilemma is whether to go for a new E or the Newly launched C, comments and opinions requested please.
I don't think its the best time to buy a Mercedes.

With the new C launched, the dealers are stuck in a double whammy.

a) they cant offload the New C at a low price

b) Neither can they offer big discounts on the E, for fear of segmentation.

Maybe a couple of months down the line, it may be a better time to buy a Mercedes.

However, things are much more attractive across the road. Great deals on both the 3-series, and the 5 series. Specialy if you pick one up by 2014.

I would get myself either a 328 or a 530d M sport, if I were fortunate enough to be in your shoes.

- Nucliomaniac
Old 8th December 2014, 16:53   #29
BHPian

I'm very curious to know what you are currently driving and upgrading from. If you love newer gizmos and styling, then it would the C 200, especially since you would be driving it too.

Many have suggested the E 220 but that is clearly a waste with under 1000kms per month.

Ideally wait for a CKD but irrespective...but the C
Old 9th December 2014, 15:41   #30
Team-BHP Support

I just had a look at the new C today in the showroom. And I'm continuing with my earlier advice, buy the E. The C looks nice, but still doesn't have as much presence as the E. The rear climate control and Burmester is missing from the media cars. The steering adjust is now manual as compared to the earlier C which was powered.

Yes the interiors look nice, but still felt a bit plasticy in a few places (front sunvisors for eg). The touch pad is cool.

On the whole the E is still a much better package, the C did not feel worth 50 lacs.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks