Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2014, 11:47   #31
BHPian

Re: Mercedes: W205 C-Class vs W212 E-Class

The W212 E Class is my pick. Its a bigger car, looks more elegant (in my opinion) and has proven reliability.

If you take into account the snob value attached, your decision will be easier.

Personally I have a strong dislike for the IPad like MID screen on new Mercs. It looks like it has been stuck there as an afterthought.

The integrated MID screen on the E Class looks better.
Old 10th December 2014, 23:36   #32
BHPian

After taking a look at the new C class.The back seat is still quite cramped and the rear seat is exactly similar to what is found in the A class. the seat does not support the entire thigh.The E is dated but is far more roomy and spacious with far better rear seats. quieter cabin with a more of a floating feel from the road. Definitely a better car would be the E.
Old 11th December 2014, 00:45   #33
BHPian

I've had both the C and the E class(Previous models of course) with the same year of purchase and I can assure you that there is absolutely no comparison.
The E beats the C in most cases.
Don't think too much and go for the E
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 12:03   #34
BHPian

At the same price point, E makes much more sense. IMO current price of the new C is not justified at all.

Just look at the big differences in each n every dimensions of both the cars and the picture will be clear. You are getting bigger and more spacious car for each and every penny you are spending, sheer VFM factor.

Mercedes: W205 C-Class vs W212 E-Class-mercedesbenzcclassw205_facts_technicaldata_dimensions_02_715x230_112013.jpg
Mercedes: W205 C-Class vs W212 E-Class-mercedesbenzeclassw212_facts_technicaldata_dimensions_02a_715x230_112012.jpg

Mercedes: W205 C-Class vs W212 E-Class-mercedesbenzcclassw205_facts_technicaldata_dimensions_03_715x230_112013.jpg
Mercedes: W205 C-Class vs W212 E-Class-mercedesbenzeclassw212_facts_technicaldata_dimensions_03_715x230__112012.jpg
Source

Last edited by tbppjpr : 15th December 2014 at 12:04.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 12:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

The W205 is the start of a new generation of Mercs which will have lighter build. The W212 was in contrast Mercs attempt to recreate the older cars which they will be forced to abandon in the next generation E. So my take will be to go for the E, not just because of size, road presence status, but also for a strong base car (Which is Mercedes all about, not about the dashboard flash).

On the other hand the new C is soon to get prices normalised, in which case, the depreciation as well as the resale value will take a huge dip upfront.
1100D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 14:33   #36
BHPian

May I throw my hat into the ring and ask Merc_lover666 to consider the Audi A6 2.0 TDI Technology pack? I have had the chance to travel in the W212 (pre-FL) and the A6 and I have to say that the interiors of the A6 are several leagues ahead of the merc in the 'feel-good' department. The instrument cluster (which has a big color display which shows navigation info along with other data) and large screen MMI sat-nav of the Audi are the highlights. The COMAND system on the merc looks and feels dated by comparison.

Even if you love mercs (your username gives it away! :] ), I suggest you take a test drive of the A6. If you are not a spirited driver, the 2.0 TDI provides ample grunt while providing stupendous fuel economy for a luxury car (on a trip to Thrissur, the instantaneous fuel consumption meter was wavering between 20-22 kmpl!). Since the year end is very near and the A6 face lift has been revealed, I guess you can push hard for big discounts.
Old 15th December 2014, 17:43   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
May I throw my hat into the ring and ask Merc_lover666 to consider the Audi A6 2.0 TDI Technology pack? I have had the chance to travel in the W212 (pre-FL) and the A6 and I have to say that the interiors of the A6 are several leagues ahead of the merc in the 'feel-good' department. The instrument cluster (which has a big color display which shows navigation info along with other data) and large screen MMI sat-nav of the Audi are the highlights. The COMAND system on the merc looks and feels dated by comparison.

Even if you love mercs (your username gives it away! :] ), I suggest you take a test drive of the A6. If you are not a spirited driver, the 2.0 TDI provides ample grunt while providing stupendous fuel economy for a luxury car (on a trip to Thrissur, the instantaneous fuel consumption meter was wavering between 20-22 kmpl!). Since the year end is very near and the A6 face lift has been revealed, I guess you can push hard for big discounts.
I'd rather buy two Jettas. The A6 is FWD, has a CVT, the engine is above the wheels, the ASS is the worst, reliability too is way below Merc. Honestly, who cares about looks of the COMAND system? It does what its supposed to do, with no complains. Only advantage I find is the adjustable suspension, that is it. Despite that the E has a better ride.
The interiors of the 2014 E is pretty good. Feel good factor is prominently present, in fact the A6's interior is dated now.

Last edited by prakhar1998 : 15th December 2014 at 17:46.
Old 15th December 2014, 20:41   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

The E is better, by far. It's a no brainier. Bargain hard and you will get a good price on the E. A friend did that with BMW - went in to buy a 320D when the F30 had just been launched and walked out with a 520 D for LESS than a 320D Luxury Plus. Two years later, no one will notice that the E is a slightly older model.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 11:40   #39
R17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The E-Class is an E-Class. It's a far more luxurious experience than the C-Class. Between the two, I'd pick the E in diesel guise.

If you are absolutely keen on the new C-Class, I'd highly recommend waiting it out. Advantages:

- The current pricing is unsustainable. It's only so because of limited supplies and people wanting to be the first to own 'that new Mercedes'. You'll easily get the C-Class at 40 lakhs & lower next year.

- Every freshly launched German car comes with its own issues & problems. The more you wait, the more time you've given Mercedes to iron out the initial niggles.
If Mercedes does rationalize this segment-busting change in pricing for the C, that would be a great outcome indeed. Just wondering - have there been instances in the past when Merc has launched a model at a much higher price point and then rationalized its price over the year esp in a key segment such as the C/E?

My thought was that this higher pricing was only for the CBU version and once local assembly would commence, pricing would be made more reasonable. Unfortunately, Merc has commenced local assembly of the petrol version but despite switching from CBU to CKD, the pricing remains the same: http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...90-lakh/21074/

Any views on this?
Old 27th February 2015, 11:52   #40
BHPian

I test drove the new C recently. Being an E class owner i must say the C does ride well and the interior looks fresh. However as I drove on for a while it was clear which car was superior. The new C is no match for the E in terms of Ride,Comfort and Power. The Es Interiors may look dated but they are of the highest quality and are a joy to use. Having said that I would also suggest you test drive the BMW 3 series Sedans (328i, 320d and the GT) and then take a call. I recently drove all of them and I hope you try them once. Yes, the runlflat tyres being there without a proper well for the spare can be an irritant. But i would still recommend you test drive them all and then based on your experience come to a decision!

Happy motoring!
Old 28th February 2015, 04:29   #41

Hi there, I believe you have yet to make a purchase. C class as of now is simply not worth it's 50L+ tag. Thereby, I would suggest you take a look at the Audi A6. I think, at the moment, the A6 is still by far the best in the segment (comparing the 2 liters). It comes packed with features for the price and has slightly better build compared to the other two. With the facelift on the horizon (I am told to expect it by May or June max), there are good discounts on the models with the new nomenclature and heavy discounts on the ones with the 2.0TDI badges.

The facelifted E class, I find it outdated (design wise) already on both interior and exterior fronts. Park Assist which was the main sales pitch for the Merc guys never worked on all of my visits to the showroom. To strike a positive contrast on the Merc, I find the rear bench to be slightly more comfy and better steering (it is a delight to hold and responsive). The CVT in the Audi although not the best, works better than the Merc and BMW IMO. Ride is definitely firm on the A6 but changes it's characteristics on the highway.

The 5er was the biggest disappointment to me because it makes me feel like i am in a Toyota. From the design to its drive, I find everything lethargic about the 520D. Not a big fan of its design and aesthetics either. Maybe it is just the feeling that it is a huge car from the inside when it actually shares very similar dimensions to the A6.

I own a C7 A6 myself and despite facing a few issues early on, partly due to my own negligence and aggressive attitude. The Audi Service have been very kind to sort out every issue almost immediately. It took me almost 6 months of research and TDs before finalizing on the A6 and it's been great so far.
Old 15th January 2016, 10:12   #42
BHPian

Did "Merc lover" make any purchase at all as of now....? It's sad when people ask for opinions and after getting everything, simply walk away without giving any meaningful response to the question. I know this thread is almost a year old but OP can still update us and make a formal conclusion to this thread .
pamiboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 22:32   #43
BHPian

Well said @pamiboy. Precisely my sentiments. I have a C class (2008) bought new and which i hardly used. Has clocked 35K kms till date. Briefly flirted with the thought of upgrading to a new C or E, but on second thought decided to use this for some long trips first. Have maintained it in good trim, but these annual maintenance requirements are pretty expensive. Spent 70K on annual maintenance and liner change.
Old 25th January 2016, 00:39   #44
BHPian

I am confused between C220 and E250. I need a car with the best driveability, steering response, best rear seat comfort and a stunning look as well. I test drove both. I liked the E better than C but i recently heard there is an upgrade to E class which will happen shortly. Any pointers on this news? Please suggest me good option.
Old 25th January 2016, 08:18   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
I am confused between C220 and E250. I need a car with the best driveability, steering response, best rear seat comfort and a stunning look as well. I test drove both. I liked the E better than C but i recently heard there is an upgrade to E class which will happen shortly. Any pointers on this news? Please suggest me good option.
My recommendation would be the C. The car looks great, and covers all the criteria you mentioned.

The E is great but I won't suggest an outgoing model; unless you want to keep the car for many years (as a modern classic).

Most Viewed