View Poll Results: What should I do?
Get the current-gen F30 330i when there are good deals 71 24.48%
Hold on to my Jetta for now, then get the next-gen G20 330i 129 44.48%
Buy the Octavia VRS 90 31.03%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2018, 14:41   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Replacement for my VW Jetta - BMW 330i or an Octavia vRS? EDIT: Booked the 330i GT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I think you should stick to petrols, with so many factors like price difference between petrol and diesel becoming almost zero, 10 year old diesel cars being banned etc.

The next question that needs to be answered is what upgrade you are looking for - power or other factors like comfort, quality, brand value etc.
Ganesh, you have touched all the relevant bits and confused (at least) me even more .

As a sedan lover (exclusively), options are:
1. Remap a vRS
2. Remap a full size EU sedan like a Passat/Superb D
3. Go for a standard 330i
4. Upgrade to a 520D
5. Jag XE Pure (base)
6. Volvo S60

EDIT: Help guys like us 'spoilt' by the Jetta D and Octy D/P :-)

Last edited by itwasntme : 24th November 2018 at 14:51.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2019, 12:38   #182
BHPian

Re: Replacement for my VW Jetta - BMW 330i or an Octavia vRS? EDIT: Booked the 330i GT M-Sport

Old thread, not sure if the OP's made his decision, but here goes

In a drive last weekend, got the chance to check out the new 330i m sport and the vrs side by side.

I have the same dilemma - I'm in the market later this year or early next year when my parking woes are sorted. So, had a good look at both.

I really thought the vrs had a chance.

However, the interiors (yes, the interiors) of the 330I M sport are so much more better - the seats are perfect, the driving position low and immaculate, the car just caves in around you, one just feels special. I thought the Alcantra seats, steering of the VRS etc. would come close - but it's not even close.

Of course, the 330i pulls harder off the line, but the vrs is never too far behind. With a remap in the vrs, game over. The 330i sounds way sweeter though, from the inside, from the outside. The vrs farts are a bit too 'uncultured'. The ride quality is similar in both, maybe the BMW rounds off bumps slightly better. Frankly, I felt my B6s were a touch better.

The practical bits of course the vrs wins it hands down. Big boot compared to the almost negligible space if you have a space saver in the 330i.

But then, really, the BMW just feels WAY more special - it's so tough to put a finger to it. It's like a masterchef (BMW) vs a good chef with nice ingredients (vrs). At an on-road price in the early 40s for the 330i, I think it's a complete no brainer over a vrs if you can stretch. Totally worth it.

In fact, I've decided that if the 330i isn't available later this year, I'll consider a second hand 320d m sport very carefully before putting in money into the vrs. A couple of seconds off 0 to 100 is fine, but the cohesive way the seats and interiors of the m sport pamper - far beyond what Skoda is capable of currently.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2019, 18:18   #183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Yes. I did make my decision as the title says. And below is my ownership thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...omes-home.html

I would highly recommend the 330i M Sport over the VRS. The RWD is definitely fun!

Quote:
The practical bits of course the vrs wins it hands down. Big boot compared to the almost negligible space if you have a space saver in the 330i.
That is the reason why I chose the GT. It is a totally practical car. With the upgraded M Sport suspensions + 252bhp engine + 8 speed ZF gearbox, it is now a joy to drive and practical at the same time. Details of upgrade to M Sport suspensions in the below thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...w-330i-gt.html (Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT)
Old 12th May 2019, 21:39   #184
BHPian

Quote:

That is the reason why I chose the GT. It is a totally practical car. With the upgraded M Sport suspensions + 252bhp engine + 8 speed ZF gearbox, it is now a joy to drive and practical at the same time. Details of upgrade to M Sport suspensions in the below thread.
Ah dint realise it was your query Ganesh!

Of course, congrats on the GT. No choice really - the 3 boot with a space saver is extremely impractical for a family with kids long highway journey or dropping relatives at the airport.

Unfortunately, nothing personal, but I just can't buy it since I'm not able to get over how it looks :(, my loss really.
Old 12th May 2019, 21:43   #185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unfortunately, nothing personal, but I just can't buy it since I'm not able to get over how it looks :(, my loss really.
Even if you changed your mind about the looks, you still can't buy as I believe BMW has stopped manufacturing 3GT
Old 13th May 2019, 10:24   #186
BHPian

Quote:

In a drive last weekend, got the chance to check out the new 330i m sport and the vrs side by side.

I have the same dilemma - I'm in the market later this year or early next year when my parking woes are sorted. So, had a good look at both.

I really thought the vrs had a chance.

However, the interiors (yes, the interiors) of the 330I M sport are so much more better - the seats are perfect, the driving position low and immaculate, the car just caves in around you, one just feels special. I thought the Alcantra seats, steering of the VRS etc. would come close - but it's not even close.

Of course, the 330i pulls harder off the line, but the vrs is never too far behind. With a remap in the vrs, game over. The 330i sounds way sweeter though, from the inside, from the outside. The vrs farts are a bit too 'uncultured'. The ride quality is similar in both, maybe the BMW rounds off bumps slightly better. Frankly, I felt my B6s were a touch better.

But then, really, the BMW just feels WAY more special - it's so tough to put a finger to it. It's like a masterchef (BMW) vs a good chef with nice ingredients (vrs). At an on-road price in the early 40s for the 330i, I think it's a complete no brainer over a vrs if you can stretch. Totally worth it.

In fact, I've decided that if the 330i isn't available later this year, I'll consider a second hand 320d m sport very carefully before putting in money into the vrs. A couple of seconds off 0 to 100 is fine, but the cohesive way the seats and interiors of the m sport pamper - far beyond what Skoda is capable of currently.
Dare i ask, How many family members usually travel in your car? says once or twice a week and occasionally those genuinely enjoyable long drives? Thats when it comes to practicality. In my opinion, unless you are driving 80% of the time solo or couple or say triple, and you absolutely want Bavarian verke, only look at GT. 3 or 6 is based on budget. In all other possibilities, vRS, which is also now not on sale so you have the option of pre-owned. There is one more alternative, 1.8 TSI octavia and new. prices are now a days hovering around 23 lacs, get the DSG tuned and then remap after warranty. Trust me you will not regret your decision and every single time practicality will remind you and will bring smile on your face. However, you are ready for your compromises, go ahead and dont postpone the joy.
Old 2nd June 2019, 07:37   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Dare i ask, How many family members usually travel in your car? says once or twice a week and occasionally those genuinely enjoyable long drives? Thats when it comes to practicality. In my opinion, unless you are driving 80% of the time solo or couple or say triple, and you absolutely want Bavarian verke, only look at GT. 3 or 6 is based on budget. In all other possibilities, vRS, which is also now not on sale so you have the option of pre-owned. There is one more alternative, 1.8 TSI octavia and new. prices are now a days hovering around 23 lacs, get the DSG tuned and then remap after warranty. Trust me you will not regret your decision and every single time practicality will remind you and will bring smile on your face. However, you are ready for your compromises, go ahead and dont postpone the joy.
Sorry, missed this. Very occasional long drives - so I really don't need a boot that much. Plus, personally, I really can't digest the 3 GT looks - so I'll never buy one, practicality be damned. Also, to me, going for a 1.8 Octy when the 2.0 is around is a complete no-no. The VRS is in a different planet performance-wise.

Reckon it'll be second hand BMW 330i vs the new VRS240 (with the ugly headlights, sigh) when I make the choice.
Old 2nd June 2019, 08:30   #188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I really can't digest the 3 GT looks - so I'll never buy one, practicality be damned.
Ah. You hurt my feelings there. Again!

Quote:
Very occasional long drives - so I really don't need a boot that much.
Also, to me, going for a 1.8 Octy when the 2.0 is around is a complete no-no. The VRS is in a different planet performance-wise.
Reckon it'll be second hand BMW 330i vs the new VRS240 (with the ugly headlights, sigh) when I make the choice.
If you don't need the boot space, then a 3 series makes more sense for sure. Once the G20 is launched, there may be some very good deals on the last batch of 330i's, so that you may be able to get a new one with a little stretch from the budget of a new VRS.

Also, there is no news about the VRS coming back to India. There is a rumor about the 245bhp one coming as CBU which may push the price near 40L. If that is the case, a 330i would make more sense again.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2019, 08:58   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Ah. You hurt my feelings there. Again!
Very personal opinion raaja - completely my loss!

Quote:
If you don't need the boot space, then a 3 series makes more sense for sure. Once the G20 is launched, there may be some very good deals on the last batch of 330i's, so that you may be able to get a new one with a little stretch from the budget of a new VRS.
Yes, hopefully, there are still a few left - fingers crossed. Looks very unlikely though..

Quote:
Also, there is no news about the VRS coming back to India. There is a rumor about the 245bhp one coming as CBU which may push the price near 40L. If that is the case, a 330i would make more sense again.
Yes, 40 ex showroom for a VRS is dead-on-arrival...I guess I'll mostly have to walk down the pre-owned way.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 2nd June 2019 at 09:49. Reason: quote tags fixed
Old 12th June 2019, 20:29   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I did get close to 12.5% off on the OTR.
Quote:
Got about 7.5L off on the OTR. A little more negotiation may have been possible, but I am a very bad negotiator!
Quote:
Yes. Got a very good deal indeed - close to 8L on the OTR as it was a 2017 manufactured model
You have mentioned discounts in 3 different replies, but all the figures differ very much. Can you please tell me the ex-showroom price you got? If you can't say openly, please DM me. TIA.
Old 12th June 2019, 21:05   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arif_t01 View Post
You have mentioned discounts in 3 different replies, but all the figures differ very much. Can you please tell me the ex-showroom price you got? If you can't say openly, please DM me. TIA.
OTR was 61L. Got 7.5L off OTR. This is 12.3% off on the OTR, just rounded it off to 12.5%.

8L was a mistake. Have requested moderators to correct this to 7.5L.

Last edited by graaja : 12th June 2019 at 21:11.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 21:48   #192
BHPian

Quote:
OTR was 61L. Got 7.5L off OTR. This is 12.3% off on the OTR, just rounded it off to 12.5%.

8L was a mistake. Have requested moderators to correct this to 7.5L.
My bad. I mistook 12.5% as 12.5L

Hence, the query for clarification. Thank you for clearing my doubt.
arif_t01 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks