Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2009, 14:56   #91
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

great looker that car

my bro-in-law (also in madras) has one of these stately mercs but that's a 200 D / 220 D- I think it is born of a W123 Chassis. must check with him and see.
all the best to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
My Treasurer (who is also my Comptroller & Auditor General) didn't think much of the idea : why a 13 year old heap when we already had two good cars? And how often will it be used (as well as : How often will it break down). She finally let me have my way when I explained that this set of wheels is sturdy, over engineered etc and especially that it is very safe on the highway and comfy. Also that someone paid over 2.5 Million for it 10 years back, we now get it for a fourth or a fifth of the price with plenty of life left in the old dog still.

I checked out only two and bought the first one of the two. I had used a 124 in the Middle East for sometime and the impression of extreme solidity and high build quality remained. The pedigree of the vehicle, the test drive and the apparent condition were enough to convince me of the claimed odo reading (54 K KM). The broker is an honest John to boot, young and with a degree in auto engineering. So, a quick selection as the previous owners are well known in the media business and in public life. One owner effectively, but switching through 3 of their companies over the years (for engineering tax write offs, I suppose), Here is the Eminence Grise as I have christened him (a metallic steel blue or steel grey) :

Attachment 207454
Attachment 207455
Attachment 207456
Attachment 207457
Attachment 207458
Attachment 207459
Attachment 207460
Attachment 207461
Attachment 207462
Attachment 207463

So, 13 years and 54000 KM later, what did I find :

1. Replica alloy wheels (Korean)
2. Wide Goodyear (205/55/R16) tyres, brand new. The owners manual recommends R15, is 16 OK?
3. Retrofit Alpine system with FM and CD player.
4. A broken front headlamp glass pane (the lights work just fine).
5. Wiper works fine except the wash and wipe.
6. New witing harness, changed 4 months back.
7. Else, all looks OK, a relatively clean engine bay, no oil or coolant change required as of now, body work and paint as in a 3 year old car but may give GE a water wash, grease-up and interior polish though.

Ride quality and suspension solid as ever but will test its paces in am onth or less on a long haul trip. Will keep you updated by and by as to the Pilgrim's Progress.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th October 2009 at 14:57.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:02   #92
Senior - BHPian

MBIL dealers are full of s*&# they don't their front from the back not surprised you were quoted that amount. I too spent 1.8k on this before and found it useless
Old 12th October 2009, 16:02   #93
BHPian

Quote:
It is interesting what you say re the passenger airbag but I noticed the same misfit in Jubin's pic (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...ow-bought.html) of his D250 too : can it be a feature resulting from the CKD assembly in Poona?
what exactly are you guys talking about?
Old 12th October 2009, 17:10   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight View Post
wow look at the charm on the 124.newer mercs just doesnt have it anymore.
Absolutely. What a Machine!
Wonder how they managed to lost the script altogether....

Congrats, stetson.

BTW what's that I, II, III, IIII numerals in yellow printed on speedo mean?
Old 12th October 2009, 18:20   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post

Congrats, stetson.

The numerals of I, II etc on the speedo? Max limits before you upchange gears (one, two and so on to overdrive finally).
Old 12th October 2009, 18:21   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Congrats, stetson.

Gear to be in for that speeds?

Congrats Stetson its a very beautiful Merc.
Old 12th October 2009, 20:51   #97
BHPian

Quote:
It is interesting what you say re the passenger airbag but I noticed the same misfit in Jubin's pic (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...ow-bought.html) of his D250 too : can it be a feature resulting from the CKD assembly in Poona?
Nope, it means mostly AB has been removed. That is first component that needs to removed before you can remove anything under left dash. It could have been removed for speaker install, A/C switch over valve check etc. Its pretty hard to align, unless you are an expert. In Jubin's pic you can see what looks like someone poked a screw driver(top right) to remove the Air Bag.

Showroom is costly alright, but beware of local garages which are not well equipped or have less experience. Interior even showroom guys wont do it properly

Quote:
Means max speed for that gear before you hit the rev-limiter.
Old 26th October 2009, 03:13   #98
BHPian

You guys rev the car so much in each gear ?

btw Great Looking Car. What are you guys still speaking about the Passenger Airbag ? Does he have an Airbag or not ?
btw Mercedes Workshops advise to change both Airbags after the car is 10 years old if the airbags have never been used.

LOL

Can they reuse airbag if it was deployed ?
Old 27th October 2009, 15:02   #99
BANNED

Hi Stetson,

Congrats on your purchase.I have two questions

1. Did you buy this beauty from kottivakkam
It looks like my neighbors car

2. Do you stay in kodambakkma or is your mech at kodambakkam ? i guess i saw your car some 3-4 days back at the said place
Old 27th October 2009, 21:58   #100

Eminence Grise

Josh : Thanks for the interest but the answer to your two questions is as follows :

1. I bought the car from a company as I mentioned, it is possible that the last user lives in Kottivakkam (but I really don't know for sure)

2. No, I don't live in Kodanbakkam and the car has never been there after I bought it.

Now, do you think I should repaint the car, as it seems to be an all too rare colour (though original) and so easily spotted or confused for another one??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi Stetson,

Congrats on your purchase.I have two questions

1. Did you buy this beauty from kottivakkam
It looks like my neighbors car

2. Do you stay in kodambakkma or is your mech at kodambakkam ? i guess i saw your car some 3-4 days back at the said place
Old 27th October 2009, 22:23   #101
Senior - BHPian

Dude don't even think of it you are going to completely destroy a great car which has been preserved so well. If you do this you are not worthy of getting it mate no offense. I will personally come and sort you out if you dare touch that paint work Go buy some junker and paint it if have the urges

Have you gone MAD

Last edited by canonball : 27th October 2009 at 22:27.
Old 28th October 2009, 11:51   #102

Canon : You sure are a loose canon, no offence intended, just joking about your strong feeling for the W124's originality. I certainly don't intend to have the car repainted, I was only pulling Joshguy's leg (as he almost seemed to be following this car's movements).

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Dude don't even think of it you are going to completely destroy a great car which has been preserved so well. If you do this you are not worthy of getting it mate no offense. I will personally come and sort you out if you dare touch that paint work Go buy some junker and paint it if have the urges

Have you gone MAD
Old 28th October 2009, 13:44   #103
Senior - BHPian

Phew Ok I suspected the same but you put out a long sentence instead of a short line therefore sounded serious!

I am looking for a w210 E250D auto (0o{_}o0) if you come accross one in a condition like yours do help Did you source yours through a dealer? Give me his lead/contact if so thx
Old 28th October 2009, 14:50   #104

TN Reg in Bombay??

Canon : Sure, will be glad to help but I am based in Madras and you in Bombay. D'you really want to go for a TN Reg? Think about that and let me now. Yes, I bought the car through a broker (not dealer) whose ad in the classifieds I picked up. He is young, 2nd gen in the family line of business, deals only in BM, Merc, Audi, Accord etc and has a degree in auto engg, so he knows the condition of the cars he is selling. I found him reliable, he still helps me with mechs and so on, if you PM me I'll give you contact details. But first make sure you don't mind a TN Reg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Phew Ok I suspected the same but you put out a long sentence instead of a short line therefore sounded serious!

I am looking for a w210 E250D auto (0o{_}o0) if you come accross one in a condition like yours do help Did you source yours through a dealer? Give me his lead/contact if so thx
Old 29th October 2009, 11:16   #105
BHPian

Congrats.. Indeed awesome looking..I saw several 124's rusted condition in Bangalore. As chennai is on the sea shore side are you planning to do any under body coating?.

Regards,
Vijay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks