Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:59   #16
BHPian

Accord 2.4 is the way to go.
Old 22nd April 2009, 16:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Not sure why folks are suggesting the accord. Its by no means a performance sedan. Yes it has a V6 270bhp engine but the underpinning struggle to cope with the 180bhp I4, let alone the V6. In my td, the I4 felt completely underdamped - I can only imagine how the V6 will be which will have a much heavier front end and the same soft wallowy suspension.

I think if skoda improves its service, then the 3.6 V6 skoda is the way to go. Or else wait for the Nissan 370Z - its gonna get lauched by the end of the year. However its a 2 seater.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 22nd April 2009 at 16:08.
Old 22nd April 2009, 16:41   #18
BHPian

Thanks for so many quick responses !!

I think somewhere in the subconscious I'm searching for the euro build and refinement - all at a VFM pricing.

Accord - Seems a bit large to be nimble for frequent city use. Also if only Honda had added some more kit for the asking price. Moreover a Civic to Accord upgrade won't be very satisfying emotionally. The performance weak points have already been mentioned by fellow bhpians. The only big plus I see is effortless/smooth engine and peace of mind.

Sonata - Hmm. I have one i10-Asta AT which has started rattling to glory though it performs its duty boringly well. Thanks but no thanks. Would desire some more refinement even if it adds to the cost. I don't see anything to get excited about this car.

EVO X - Not sure when we are going to get this. Also I'd have to check the refinement also if it suits my taste. If it is too hardcore and raw then this is not my cup of tea. Only a test drive when and if it is available should clarify this.

In my test drive of Superb it didn't felt too large. The 1.8 TSI was just about Ok while 2.0 PD seemed too lethargic. But with 260 bhp on tap and 4 wheels to deliver this power to the road, it should be reasonable fun. The build quality, refinement and the kit available is quite satisfying (my observation from the test drive). Too bad there is no V6 available for test drive. So my heart is currently set on the 3.6 FSI.

Summary ... I'll likely wait over for a month or two until there is some definite plan whether we are indeed getting evo x. If yes indeed then I'll decide after a test drive or else may be Superb ..

PS: I think this is my 100th post !!
Old 22nd April 2009, 17:00   #19
BHPian

i find myself in the same boat as Entropy. Having been thoroughly disappointed with the pricing of the Accord & Skoda V6s' as well as their performance; i held back my decision until something more compelling comes around....

Skoda just launched the facelifted Octi vRS> will this be compelling enough? If launched with the right trim level, i might just take a chance on the post sale service!
Old 22nd April 2009, 21:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

hey how about getting a Cedia and tuning it? Its a 2L engine, so i am guessing getting it to a higher tune would be real easy. Experts?
Old 22nd April 2009, 22:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

sad that you dont get the 335i or 335d in India. Can they be imported through bmw ?
Old 22nd April 2009, 22:30   #22
BHPian

Importing is out of the question as he does not want to spend that kind of amount on a medium sized sedan.
How about the new Nissan Teana? I am eyeing that car for my next buy later this year as it is said to be the best built in segment and most comfortable.
Initially I also had a dingy idea about Nissan.Although they don't have the presence I think it would be a better option compared to Skoda?
What do you think?
Cheers

Last edited by morphin1 : 22nd April 2009 at 22:32.
Old 22nd April 2009, 22:31   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphin1 View Post
Importing is out of the question as he does not want to spend that kind of amount on a medium sized sedan.
How about the new Nissan Teana? I am eyeing that car for my next buy later this year as it is said to be the best built in segment and most comfortable.
Initially I also had a dingy idea about Nissan.Although they don't have the presence I think it would be a better option compared to Skoda?
What do you think?
Cheers
wait for the facelifted one. looks much better. the present one is like a barge and will be the furthest thing from fun to drive especially with the 4 speed tranny.
Old 22nd April 2009, 22:34   #24
BHPian

He does not want an Audi or a BMW or a Benz. He has already made the clear enough. You have to be too careful while driving them. I saw go in for the superb if you like it.
Old 24th April 2009, 01:33   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

after your last post I think the Jetta DSG fits your needs well.
It's euro build, perfect size ( smaller than accord, larger than civic)
Best part, it can be chipped too !!
I have test driven it and found it rather fun thanks to the unbeatable DSG paddle shifts. Plonk a tuning box or get a remap and you're in for some serious fun!
Old 24th April 2009, 01:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

105bhp stock even when chipped won't be more than 125-130 no matter what the tuners claim. A nearly 1500 kilogram car with 130 horses won't be that much fun to drive.

Recently on my drive to Munnar, I was following a Laura (same engine, same chassis) for around 30 odd km and using it as my pilot car since the time was before daybreak. I could see the car being revved like mad from the black smoke being spewed and he was taking corners quite rashly. Inspite of that I had no real trouble keeping up with that car without downshifting too much. It felt quite underpowered considering the fact that I consider my car to be underpowered and it easily kept up with it without any strain at all.
Old 24th April 2009, 03:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

Just buy a used Evo or Impreza. Or a new RX8.
Old 24th April 2009, 08:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
hey how about getting a Cedia and tuning it? Its a 2L engine, so i am guessing getting it to a higher tune would be real easy. Experts?
Not much can be coaxed out of that engine. Not an option unless he wants to go for an EVO conversion.
Old 24th April 2009, 08:59   #29
BHPian

I have driven the EVOX many times and I would have to say that it is very nice car. But, I dont think it would be in your requirements. Its a hardcore rally car with a break-your-back suspension and ride, and the volume of the boot/trunk is tiny. Quite a lot of turbo lag too.
Old 24th April 2009, 09:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stranger View Post
I have driven the EVOX many times and I would have to say that it is very nice car. But, I dont think it would be in your requirements. Its a hardcore rally car with a break-your-back suspension and ride, and the volume of the boot/trunk is tiny. Quite a lot of turbo lag too.
Thanks @the_stranger. Somehow I had this feeling too after going through its review on various UK and Japanese sites. Plus I really doubt if at all EVO X would ever make it to Indian shores. This car should be likeable by my better half also as she is the one who approves the expense. (Superb was Ok on that count - large boot, practicality.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
after your last post I think the Jetta DSG fits your needs well.
It's euro build, perfect size ( smaller than accord, larger than civic)
Best part, it can be chipped too !!
I have test driven it and found it rather fun thanks to the unbeatable DSG paddle shifts. Plonk a tuning box or get a remap and you're in for some serious fun!
Sahil as others have quoted there is not much normal plug-n-play chipping can do for this car. Also rear leg room would also be an issue. I'd rather go for Superb V6 in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphin1 View Post
As I read somewhere the teana we would get is same tiny 2.5 V6. Though it is pretty refined it is more of a soft cruiser not the performance type that I'm looking for.

On second thoughts, I'm thinking whether 320d (chipped one) could be good choice. The chip express kit with normal tuning boosts the 177 PS/350 Nm to 213 PS/404 Nm that can be increased upto a maximum of 242 PS/440 Nm on the stock car. Sure this would be a fun and fit the car character very well. Only negatives are one has to be careful while driving it in the city and the rear leg room (How bad is it ? compared to say Laura ?). Also it would be a bit expensive (4-5 lakhs compared to Superb 3.2FSI V6).

If nothing then perhaps Superb V6 it is for now.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks