Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:44   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The official figures of the 530i are 6.7 sec to 100, 26.4 sec to 1000m and 250kph(electronically limited) top speed. The corresponding figures for the 530d are 6.8 sec, 27.1 sec and 248kph.
Ok so the 530i gets 2kph boost over 530d on top speed. Does that make the petrol version a must-have? And say for a monthly drive of 2000 km, (24,000 km in a year), an annual saving of about Rs. 70,000 in just fuel costs, is that counting pennies or pound-pinching?

Last edited by greenh0rn : 22nd September 2009 at 22:47. Reason: corrected the math
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:52   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Reignofchaos- the 530i gets no where close to the figured claimed on our fuel. I have smoked a friend in a 530i on multiple occasions with my 525d. So rest assured the 530d would blow it out the water.
I'd like to second that. My friend has a 530i and finds it difficult to keep up with my 530d.
Old 23rd September 2009, 00:58   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
the ONLY reason why people buy diesel engine cars in india, is the diesel being cheaper compared to the price of petrol in india!

that too because its subsidised by the govt for Agriculture sector! suppose the govt decides to provide diesel only to tractor, truck and taxi owners and restrict private car owners from diesel, then what?

my argument is that when people are loaded with money and they buy MB, BMW etc in diesel, i never understand it!

if diesel engine was so good and great, M3, R8, SLKs, Golf GTi, McLaren Ferrari, Lambo, etc would have been diesel and not petrol!
Parm, have you ever test driven a diesel German saloon? Please do before randomly comparing them to tractors.

You have absolutely no support as every subsequent post to yours shows that oil burners are faster/more efficient and easier on the wallet.

I responded to your statement about people having unlimitedly deep pockets in my ownership thread. That is true for people who figure in the Forbes list. However, most actually DO give a damn about running costs, and it's not just the ultra rich that buys these cars. Decent middle class families are also cashing in on years of hard work.

So stop TROLLING the forum with posts as such and head to the nearest VW/ BMW, MB or Audi showroom and start a thread on your revelationary experience.

PS: No offence meant, just some reverse trolling i may add.
Old 23rd September 2009, 01:35   #124
Senior - BHPian

Have driven 530D myself i would personally go for 530D if my running is more than 1500KM.

- More FE. I managed to get 14 with AC within city (Chandigarh). Highway FE keeping speed between 80-120 was 18 and when ripped it came down to 12.xx

- Better drivable in city and might be more fun than petrol.

Both 530i and 530D have similar pick up. 530D has good in gear acceleration too (80-220).

I have not driven 530i but yes 530D was pretty good. The amount one save on fuel can be used somewhere else. If BMW is giving a diesel option they know there are customers who demand diesel. And if i am not mistaken BMW Diesels outsell Petrol.

Last edited by abhibh : 23rd September 2009 at 01:38.
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:52   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
Parm, have you ever test driven a diesel German saloon? Please do before randomly comparing them to tractors.

YES I HAVE OWNED FEW GERMAN DIESEL CARS! (VW, AUDI, BMW, MB)

You have absolutely no support as every subsequent post to yours shows that oil burners are faster/more efficient and easier on the wallet.

PEOPLE BUY DIESEL CARS IN INDIA JUST BECAUSE ITS CHEAPER THAN PETROL!

I responded to your statement about people having unlimitedly deep pockets in my ownership thread. That is true for people who figure in the Forbes list. However, most actually DO give a damn about running costs, and it's not just the ultra rich that buys these cars. Decent middle class families are also cashing in on years of hard work.

SURE I WOULD BUY A DIESEL OVER PETROL FOR THE SAME REASON, TO SAVE MONEY! BUT HERE IM TALKING ABOUT A RICH GUY LOADED WITH MONEY BUYING DIESEL CAR!! I JUST DONT GET IT! I THINK DIESEL RUNS IN OUR BLOOD NOW!

So stop TROLLING the forum with posts as such and head to the nearest VW/ BMW, MB or Audi showroom and start a thread on your revelationary experience.

THANKS, I HAD MY EXPERIENCE DRIVING DIESEL CARS!

i would like to see what would people do if the price of the diesel matches the petrol in india!

some people end up buying expensive diesel engine cars, pay more price than that of a petrol engine car and not use the diesel car to its full potential of good FE and taking out its worth by there by not justifying the higher price!

if you buy a diesel car, it should be driven/used for a longer period to justify the higher price paid over petrol engine car!
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:11   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post

Parm, why don't you do TD these cars rather than copy pasting the same comments thread after thread.
It's getting kinda cliche, dont you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Both 530i and 530D have similar pick up.
No way. There is a huuuge difference mainly in pick up thanks to the 500nM of torque belted out at barely 1300rpm in the 530d!! The 530i needs the revs to be built up higher to develop good torque, even then it comes no where close to 500nM.

Tip for people TDing the 530d(especially you Parm ) :The pick-up is brutual already but if you must get a larger grin try this- Place your left foot on the brake padle,keep it pressed hard. Use your right foot to build revvs to 2000rpm or so, you will find the beast struggling to break loose. Lift your foot off the brake and go padle to the metal on the accelerator. The result is mind blowing ! Make sure you don't snap your neck and have a clear road ahead. If you are a lunatic, switch the traction control off ! LoL

Last edited by Sahil : 23rd September 2009 at 15:20.
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:23   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Tip for people TDing the 530d(especially you Parm ) :The pick-up is brutual already but if you must get a larger grin try this- Place your left foot on the brake padle,keep it pressed hard. Use your right foot to build revvs to 2000rpm or so, you will find the beast struggling to break loose. Lift your foot off the brake and go padle to the metal on the accelerator. The result is mind blowing ! Make sure you don't snap your neck and have a clear road ahead. If you are a lunatic, switch the traction control off ! LoL
Haha this really made me laugh! Do you usually do this on your 5 series for the fun of it? Also I've always wanted to try this on my Jag but I was always afraid it might screw it up or something. Does doing this have any side-effects on the car?
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:29   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyking View Post
Haha this really made me laugh! Do you usually do this on your 5 series for the fun of it? Also I've always wanted to try this on my Jag but I was always afraid it might screw it up or something. Does doing this have any side-effects on the car?
I have done it a few times. Only side-effect is your traction control works overtime. And when you switch the TC off your tyres begin to smoke with the wheelspin. I did it more often when my first set of RFT tyres were wearing out, I was desperate to wear them out so I could switch to regular tubeless. It was greaaaattt fun, the car just wheelspun it's way to glory!
You should try it, highly recommended

@Parm: Ignorance is Blissss,ain't it? Which diesel cars have you owned in the past?

Last edited by Sahil : 23rd September 2009 at 16:31.
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:40   #129
Senior - BHPian

What's the point of continuing this thread??
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:51   #130
BHPian

Quote:
I have done it a few times. Only side-effect is your traction control works overtime. And when you switch the TC off your tyres begin to smoke with the wheelspin. I did it more often when my first set of RFT tyres were wearing out, I was desperate to wear them out so I could switch to regular tubeless. It was greaaaattt fun, the car just wheelspun it's way to glory!
So would you recommend me do it on my Jag? I have the traction button in my car. But when I press the button does the traction go on or off? Also isn't the technical term for this 'burn out'? So I basically hold my foot on the brake pedal and accelerate in an RPM of 2000? Doesn't doing this ruin my tyres? Apart from the traction control issue there aren't any other technical/safety issues right?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but it's my first time and I don't wanna screw the car up.
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:07   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Mods sorry for going off topic but I gotta help the brother out to enjoy his car some more

You don't ruin your tyres as such you just burn rubber faster, if you do it repeatedly then the life of your tyres will reduce greatly. I suggest you do it with the traction control on the first few times.
And you might want to go above 2000rpm if you want a real kick out of it. The reason I suggested 2000rpm on the 530d is because it churns massive torque from low rpm itself.

This method is a poor mans launch control that comes on supercars
Old 23rd September 2009, 20:37   #132
Senior - BHPian

^^More than that you'll ruin your clutch.

Anyways I still maintain I like the petrol 530i more than diesel 530d. Others may differ in their opinion, but I still feel that diesels need a little bit more time to get to the level of petrols overall.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 23rd September 2009 at 20:39.
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:05   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

@Parm: Ignorance is Blissss,ain't it? Which diesel cars have you owned in the past?
happy driving and safe driving to all, your diesel for you and my petrol for me!

Last edited by Parm : 23rd September 2009 at 22:06.
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:10   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
^^More than that you'll ruin your clutch.

Anyways I still maintain I like the petrol 530i more than diesel 530d. Others may differ in their opinion, but I still feel that diesels need a little bit more time to get to the level of petrols overall.
your quite a petrolhead arent you? which diesels do you like? the way the 530i accelerates is lovely but you dont get the kick that the diesel gives you. the linear acceleration makes it seem slower.
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:33   #135
BHPian

I'm still wondering why the original poster, aged all of 24 (much younger than me), and with 2L entering his bank account every month (much more than mine) bought an old man's car. BMW does sell the M3 in India. Had a ride in one about a month back, and I still think about it almost every day. Simply awesome car.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks