Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 15:19   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithyav View Post
it is a newer car as it was launched much more recently compared to the beemer.
Correction : The A6 is the oldest car of the bunch, as the E Class is barely 6 months old and the next gen 5 series is just around the corner (E60 production is discontinued). The currently sold A6 was launched in 2004 and is not a match to the E or the F10 5 series.

What I would recommend you to do is to wait for the all new A6 generation...it's really not that far away.
Old 13th April 2010, 20:36   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Correction : The A6 is the oldest car of the bunch, as the E Class is barely 6 months old and the next gen 5 series is just around the corner- What I would recommend you to do is to wait for the all new A6 generation...it's really not that far away.
The dealers pitch - All New A6 with rear-LED's launched in 2009! A friend's friend fell for it last month and was kicking himself for it when he heard about the new 5 out in 3 months!

My recommendation was the new 5 (Since A6 is still a year away) I didn't consider the deals on the A6 to be enticing enough to overlook the New E250CDI @42lacs OTR Delhi - A6 will be aroun 40 OTR if i'm not mistaken.

Adityhyav - Didn't you like the E? or was the final price on the E more/Price on the A6 less than what I have have here?

Last edited by Speeding@160mph : 13th April 2010 at 20:47.
Old 13th April 2010, 21:03   #33
BANNED

What i recommend is that you go for the new gen 5 series, It is launching on April 30th.

Since the chauffeur/personal ratio is 50/50 then its a great choice as the new 5 series is not like the current one, It combines the best of both worlds : Very exciting to drive yourself & at the same time it is very luxurious & comfortable at the rear.

It is not like other BMWs where handling is superb & ride is ok, Rather in this car Handling is extremely good wheras the ride is also very good. IMO the best of both worlds .
Old 14th April 2010, 11:41   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Correction : The A6 is the oldest car of the bunch, as the E Class is barely 6 months old and the next gen 5 series is just around the corner (E60 production is discontinued). The currently sold A6 was launched in 2004 and is not a match to the E or the F10 5 series.

What I would recommend you to do is to wait for the all new A6 generation...it's really not that far away.
The model currently being sold in India is the post refresh A6, which went on sale back in 2008. It is still in the C6 stage because it wasn't a radical refresh. Tech wise (to us at least), the Audi seemed on par with the E and the outgoing 5 series. What would you say is so radically different/better in these over the A6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post
The dealers pitch - All New A6 with rear-LED's launched in 2009! A friend's friend fell for it last month and was kicking himself for it when he heard about the new 5 out in 3 months!

My recommendation was the new 5 (Since A6 is still a year away) I didn't consider the deals on the A6 to be enticing enough to overlook the New E250CDI @42lacs OTR Delhi - A6 will be aroun 40 OTR if i'm not mistaken.

Adityhyav - Didn't you like the E? or was the final price on the E more/Price on the A6 less than what I have have here?
A6 OTR is 40....and we didn't like the E much at all. It didn't feel as spacious as the A6. Also, it wasn't that much a question of price, just a matter of preference..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
What i recommend is that you go for the new gen 5 series, It is launching on April 30th.

Since the chauffeur/personal ratio is 50/50 then its a great choice as the new 5 series is not like the current one, It combines the best of both worlds : Very exciting to drive yourself & at the same time it is very luxurious & comfortable at the rear.

It is not like other BMWs where handling is superb & ride is ok, Rather in this car Handling is extremely good wheras the ride is also very good. IMO the best of both worlds .
I actually am not a big fan of the new 5. It looks ok, drives like a beemer (from what I've heard) but isn't as comfortable as the competition still. And honestly, I think it tries to do too much. Plus, it doesn't have its own identity as it looks like a cross between the 3 and the 7 (while the outgoing model stands out as a 5 series).

Anyway the booking has already been made. Going for the A6 and should be taking delivery around the 25th

Last edited by adithyav : 14th April 2010 at 11:56.
Old 14th April 2010, 19:51   #35

Hey seriously telling you out of experience, don't go for Audi or Merc. They're just names. The comfort of the 5series is insane. We bought the 520d And trust me it was so worth every penny. E class is horribly uncomfortable. Don't know bout you but me and my dad are 6feet tall, and journeys exceeding 1 hour were horrific. Audi A6 is good but according to indian standards you shouldn't really buy it, the A4 is good, and it works really smooth, but my friend bought the Q7 and the A6, and was very displeased with the cars performance and the quality of service by the Indian engineers, hence he's selling both cars now. BMW is just so much better than them.! And the added features on that car are really good.! Night vision and all.! Also the new 5series is extremely sexy the car is REALLY HOT.! The only difference b/w 520 and 530 is that 520 is V4 and the latter is V6, and the added features of sports drive and Night Vision, and hence we bought the 520d as we don't really need the extra power for leisure drives. I would suggest you go for BMW 520/530d any day of the week, 2wice on weekends.!
Old 15th April 2010, 15:04   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithyav View Post
The model currently being sold in India is the post refresh A6, which went on sale back in 2008.
Correct, but a facelift doesn't a new car make. A new E Class & now the 5 series make the A6 feel outdated, especially in terms of onroad behaviour, refinement and interior design.

Fact is, the A6 is now the oldest car of the bunch...facelift or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labyrinth View Post
E class is horribly uncomfortable.
I don't know which E Class you sat in (previous gen) because the new E350 is the most comfortable car you can buy for 50 lakhs. It conquers the currently sold 5 series on ride comfort & the perfect way in which the rear seat is contoured. Simply put, there's no competition for someone looking solely at comfort.

Last edited by GTO : 15th April 2010 at 15:09.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2010, 22:29   #37
BHPian

Really? Preferred the A6 over the New E ? And the upcoming 5 has no identity (Big 3, small 7) - Wait till you see what happens with the NEW A6 next year! LoL !

I'm just very surprised with your decision - I wouldn't pay 40 lacs for a car which will be COMPLETELY OUTDATED within 1 year! Brand New E is out, Brand New 5 is around the corner, Brand New A6 will be out mid next year - These will be the 2010+ cars and your A6 will look a decade old!

It's not too late, bookings can be canceled with full refund - I understand preferences but without meaning or trying to sound disrespectful, I think the A6 is the wrong choice at this point.

Its your/your fathers call at the end of the day, hope you are happy with it for as long as you intend to keep the car.
Old 15th April 2010, 22:37   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Hey seriously telling you out of experience, don't go for Audi or Merc. They're just names. The comfort of the 5series is insane.
LMAO - This is a hilarious! Curious to understand what your definition of 'Comfort' is if you think the current 5 is more comfortable than the New E.
Old 15th April 2010, 23:42   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post
LMAO - This is a hilarious! Curious to understand what your definition of 'Comfort' is if you think the current 5 is more comfortable than the New E.

Well we were going to buy the new E class, but as the rear seats were NOT VERY COMFY and so, my dad bought the S 350 which is insanely good. We went on a drive for 1 hour in the E class, and both mine and my dads back broke. Which was not the case with the 5 series that we own. Even 5 hour drives are comparatively less wrecking.. My definition of Comfort is that the Rear seats ( as our cars are chauffeur driven) Should be good enough that you don't feel tired or your back shouldn't break. We previously owned the C class which was again very uncomfortable.! Hence all our cars were bought in the same sense. Montero was more comfy than a Pajero, 5 series was better than the E class, and the S just kicks *** :P i didn't want to get out of that car at all..!
Old 23rd July 2014, 00:50   #40
BHPian

Re: Luxury Sedan Advice Needed - A6 vs E-Class vs 5-series

Hi,
Please move this if its not in the right forum
We are contemplating in purchasing a luxury sedan by december 2014 (that month of the year because of the usual discounts being offered ). And we are considering A6, 5 series and E class(other car suggestions are welcome). Predominantly driven by our driver and me. We are a family of four so including our driver this makes it five people at maximum in the car. Looking only at the diesels. Usually we do 20k per year.
Main priorities are
1. Fuss free owner ship& Less maintenance charges
2. Resale value(especially after owning a skoda )
3. Ride comfort
4. Fit and finish
Planning to keep the car at least for 5 years.
We plan to retain our 2007 Skoda Octavia as our beater car(since i wont get much resale) and sell our 2012 Renault Scala
I don't want to buy a soon to be discontinued car.
All your replies will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 2nd August 2014, 23:56   #41
BHPian

Test drove the 520d(luxury line) on 25/07/2014. Had very good response from the sales team in Platino Classic Kochi. The sales guy was a gentleman. Had a very professional approach.
Pros
1. Good clean design.(drove the white one)
2. Technology.(The digital speed and rpm meter looked cool)
3. Front seats extremely comfortable.
4. Dash board was fabulous.
5. Ride was good at lower speeds.
6. BSI.
7. Excellent gear box.
8. Had discounts and exchange bonus.
Cons
1. Rear seat space.
2. RFT.
3. Feels very big to drive.
4. Ride not up to the mark at higher speeds.
5. Resale value when compared to the competition after 5 years.(?)
6. Too much technology (on long term reliability?)
Test drove E250 cdi silver with black interiors on 26/07/2014 from Rajasree motors, kochi. The sales guy was a chatter box.
Pros
1. 3 star badge(big in family)
2. Very Very easy to drive, feels much smaller
3. Excellent ride at higher speeds(better than 5er in a long run it seems)
4. General feeling especially in family that merc is better suited for Indian roads.(?)
5. Legendary back seat comfort.
6. Engine more silent than BMW(?)
Cons.
1. Service not inclusive and doesn't give peace of mind like BSI. (atleast not for 5 years )
2. Built?? I might be extremely wrong. But I found BMW better built(?) especially the dash(don't know it was particular to that car)
3. No reverse camera
4. BMW had better gear box
5. Had discounts but no exchange bonus
Planning to drive A6 2l diesel soon.
Expecting your replies.
Thanks.
nitinmurali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 03:44   #42

Speaking from personal experience, I've test driven a6, e280 and the 5 series. I ended up buying the 530. It was the best in class.

Amazingly built, feels very posh, superb ride quality, power like no other.
Only issue is back seats are not that comfy but honestly speaking No car in this category is
I am 6' plus. And fitting into back seats is quite an issue.

520 is also a good car, although lower in power and styling.
530 is a 6 cylinder. And don't forget to get a M style kit.

Out of all the cars I own, I love to drive this one. After this is the Q7.
Labyrinth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 09:54   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Speaking from personal experience, I've test driven a6, e280 and the 5 series. I ended up buying the 530. It was the best in class.

Amazingly built, feels very posh, superb ride quality, power like no other.
Only issue is back seats are not that comfy but honestly speaking No car in this category is
I am 6' plus. And fitting into back seats is quite an issue.

520 is also a good car, although lower in power and styling.
530 is a 6 cylinder. And don't forget to get a M style kit.

Out of all the cars I own, I love to drive this one. After this is the Q7.
I am 6 feet tall and i find rear seats of BMW average.
530d is way out of the budget, 70 lakh + and lesser discounts.
E280 is not available anymore.
Is Merc available with beige interiors?
Will take a decision by September end.
Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 17:52   #44
BHPian

do try the GT 320d. it is a lot of car for the money. compared to 520d
1. it has better rear leg room
2. better boot space
3. slightly softer ride, as it is taller and sprung softer that either 3 series or 5 series
4. other things are at par with 520d, in terms of gear box and seats
but, i read recently that BMW are going to start offering a space saver spare wheel with 3 series and 5 series. not sure if they will do so on the GT. also, it may feel like a downgrade on the badge; 3 v/s 5, and not sure about the discounts on GT.

The merc does have a more pliant and comfortable drive, and post the facelift, looks awesome, but as you mentioned, there are a couple of downsides in terms of service not being included.

The A6 is also better in terms of ride and the interior styling, but the gearbox is a CVT and also it is wider than the other two. on the other hand, you should be able to get substantial discounts on it.
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 19:25   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BMW are going to start offering a space saver spare wheel with 3 series and 5 series. not sure if they will do so on the GT
They are offering space saver on GT , for 3 & 5 I am not sure - do update thread in case you are positive on this .

Quote:
4. Ride not up to the mark at higher speeds.
Most likely it will be due to RFT , I found appreciable difference in ride after switching over to regular Michelin .

Quote:
5. Resale value when compared to the competition after 5 years.(?)
It will be better than Audi for sure , Mercedes have some Star program where they commit close to 50 % at end of 3 or 4 year period - check with local dealership . If you have maintained car properly with not very high mileage expect about 40 % residual at end of 5 Year period .

Quote:
6. Too much technology (on long term reliability?)
Normally modern BMW's are quite reliable , you should not worry specially with BSI packs - they are giving 4 Year complimentary - have a look at post 4800 , do update thread with the best offer available at your place . There are few variants of BSI packs - I am not aware what is free with car . GT might have a lower resale besides in my opinion its little overprices if we compare with goodies they have given on 5 series even on 4 cylinder models .

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...deals-320.html

Last edited by Turbanator : 3rd August 2014 at 19:28.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks