Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How effective is your K&N filter
Oh! It is the rocket fuel for my car. 16 7.73%
Great. I know it made a difference. Its no rocket fuel though. 82 39.61%
Ok. I would say that it is nice to have. Definitely not as dramatic as many claim it to be. 60 28.99%
What K&N? Its a wastage of money. 30 14.49%
I am using it for over the last 40,000+ kms. 7 3.38%
I have used it for more than 20,000 - 40,000 kms. 16 7.73%
Mine has been in use for 5000 - 2,0000 kms. 35 16.91%
Its comparatively new in my car. 29 14.01%
I have used it for over the last 4 years. 8 3.86%
I have used it for over the last 2-3 years. 14 6.76%
I have used it for over the last 1-2 years. 21 10.14%
Hey, mine is a new filter. 31 14.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 12:07   #106
Senior - BHPian

Pramod, I am posting your PM here, as you have chosen not to receive any PM's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodhrao
Hi Ram,
I guess yours was the only post I could dig out for a stock replacement on a scorpio crde 2.6. I am thinking of doing the same for mine and my truck has run for about 20000kms. I was wondering if you would recommend a stock for me? DId you get any problems with driving in dusty conditions? I am in Bangalore and cannot term it completely dust free neither can I say it is extremely dusty.
Appreciate any advice you can give me.
TIA,
Pramodh
Bangalore
Hai,

I have a stock replacement K&N filter and it seems to be OK. I did the drive to Kalpa & Chitkul immediately after the replacement, engine FELT like breathing more easily and pick up was slightly better.

There are 2 schools of thought on this.

1. The pore size of K&N are bigger, more air gets in so naturally the engine breathes better. But so does small particles of dust, this in the long run is bad for a CRDe engine. OE filter DOES NOT allow evern small particles to go in, die hard Scorpio fans are AGAINST tinkering with the OE filter.

2. K&N is OK, as per industy standards and will not hamper the engine.

My take: If you are going to keep the truck for more than 4 years, DO NOT change the OE filter, it's good enough. My truck is company provided, compulsory to change every 4 years, so I can tak a little bit of risk with the engine, I think it can take abuse and last for 4 years without major repairs. If your driving is in Bangy and only occassional 5-10K stints of driving, changing the filter would not make any great difference.

Incidentally, I am in Bangalore on 29th of this month at Malleswaram Club arranged by Shiva of TBHP, lots of us are set to meet on that day evening there. Would be nice to talk to you then.

Ramky / 09377203000.
===========
Old 19th April 2010, 15:55   #107
VBV
BHPian

I have a SX4. I got mine installed three months back. I see some differences. Lower rpm torque has gone up, I had not read that that is one of the intended consequences, but it has happened. Also, I see a change in acceleration, esp 3500 rpm onwards. On the ghats, I see the most difference though, its so much easier now, with the engine responding to the pedal(or should I say wire) better than ever before.
Old 17th July 2010, 19:42   #108
BHPian

guys, how radical or stupid is the idea of installing K&N filter on an i10 Kappa?
Old 17th July 2010, 20:34   #109
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
guys, how radical or stupid is the idea of installing K&N filter on an i10 Kappa?
Replacement filters are too expensive and their induction kits aren't giving what they should.
Old 17th July 2010, 21:13   #110
BHPian

K&N has been quoted 3700 rs in Chennai. I also cross checked the part number and details of the filter that is a straight fit for i10.

But my question is, how much performance gain do we get in an i10 over the stock filter?
Old 18th July 2010, 03:26   #111
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
K&N has been quoted 3700 rs in Chennai. I also cross checked the part number and details of the filter that is a straight fit for i10.

But my question is, how much performance gain do we get in an i10 over the stock filter?
The gain will be 2 to 3%.
Old 23rd July 2010, 14:24   #112
Senior - BHPian

hey guys, I have used K&N on my old car (Santro Xing) for nearly 2yrs and felt awesome everytime I revved the Engine. Not sure if it was because I had installed the K&N that I was revving more but the car was really zippy.
Also, I was informed that since Santro had a small engine, the power gain was very minimal if not nil.

Now guys, I have a Getz 1.3. As everybody knows, the low end Torque is not very great. So,
1. Should I go in for a CAI K&N Filter ?
2. As this is a much bigger Engine, would there be some better results?
Old 31st August 2010, 12:41   #113

I have been using a K&N stock replacement filter in my Accent 1.5.Although the roar effect is an immediate gain, it remains the only noticeable gain after the filter has been used 2-3k kms.The filter gathers all kinds of nonsense on it due to the oil impregnated cotton.It is preferable to go a little deeper and get a K&N C.A.I. kit rather than a replacement filter.

Plus:

The performance above 3000 rpm was quite satisfying,when the K&N replacement filter was bought till 1000 kms or so.Specifically, I noticed the 3rd gear stretching upto 120 kmph very quickly.The engine growls nicely & it makes you look fast even if it doesn't make you as fast as it sounds.

Minus:

It gets very very dirty - extremely fast & hence the performance deteriorates rapidly.
Cleaning/Re-oiling costs Rs.250 approx ,with risks of over oiling which will screw up your car's MAF & allied sensors.

My opinion - Be very careful if you are planning to spend Rs. 4500 for a K&N filter because it requires more maintenance than your teeth. If you really have the spare money,it is definitely worth a try.
Old 8th November 2011, 22:46   #114

Re: Rate your K&N please

I installed K&N in my Karizma(2006) and I noticed change in throttle response(may be because my paper filter was a little old).

The best change was the beautiful sound it made, the mundane Karizma noise converted to that of Harleyish kind of sound. There was extra noise from the K&N filter as it was plugged directly in the engine rather than the maze of paper filter. So whenever I will rev the engine I would love the sound. Made me smile . Burrrrrrrrrr

Actually that extra revving while picking up cost me fuel so never could judge if it improved the fuel efficiency or not, but the engine definitely ran smoother combined with the premium fuel from Shell.

I would recommend it for the enthusiasts. It cost me Rs. 1,700 from a shop in Banjara Hills, hyderabad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks