Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2011, 22:19   #61
BHPian

Re: Spider Diesel Tuning Box VS. Pete's Tuning Box - Spider Box feedback on pg 2

There's a comparison of diesel tuning boxes in the works sponsored by Motul Engine oils & Co-Sponsored by Motoroids.

The new Race Dynamics box (with 4 maps), the Spider box, and the RaceCal box (its apparently new) seem to be the leaders of the pack - not necessarily in that order. The final results will apparently be out soon. Note: this is apparently after they went through Petes, old Race Dynamics, Race Chip, Unichip & Tunit earlier this year.

All tests were done on the Fiat 1.3 Multijet engine, I hope these translate similarly to other cars as well.

I'm not sure if links to other forums are allowed, so if its against the rules, please feel to remove this part of the post. In which case, I won't post links from other forums again... Thanks, and I absolutely love being part of Team-BHP so far.

Comparison Of Tuning Boxes - Motoroids
kryptonite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 23:27   #62
BHPian

Re: Spider Diesel Tuning Box VS. Pete's Tuning Box - Spider Box feedback on pg 2

For the love of your engine do not install any tuning box that cannot vary the turbo boost or in other words that which cannot increase the air flow. Do not install any box that increases common rail fuel pressures as a means to increase power. To the best of my knowledge there ain't no tuning box that controls air flow as yet.

This is probably the umpteenth time that I am making the above statement but it is because I love engines.

EndTuning - Tech - Tuning Boxes
drpullockaran is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 23:30   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
There's a comparison of diesel tuning boxes in the works sponsored by Motul Engine oils & Co-Sponsored by Motoroids.

The new Race Dynamics box (with 4 maps), the Spider box, and the RaceCal box (its apparently new) seem to be the leaders of the pack - not necessarily in that order. The final results will apparently be out soon. Note: this is apparently after they went through Petes, old Race Dynamics, Race Chip, Unichip & Tunit earlier this year.

All tests were done on the Fiat 1.3 Multijet engine, I hope these translate similarly to other cars as well.

I'm not sure if links to other forums are allowed, so if its against the rules, please feel to remove this part of the post. In which case, I won't post links from other forums again... Thanks, and I absolutely love being part of Team-BHP so far.

Thanks for the information. When will Mr Prabhakar release data for RaceDynamics Pro and Spider? Even I'm considering one for my Fiesta Classic TDCi either between Spider or RD Pro. Only a through report will help in finalizing.
What do you all suggest Spider or RD pro? Prices of both are same. Only problem with RD is that what if I'm at a signal in stock mode and want to accelerate quickly, than I need to change mode to P1 or P2. Which is cumbersome. With Spider its just one and just need to tap accelerator more and it would do the same as RD in P1 or P2 mode. Total confusion prevailing.
Old 1st December 2011, 23:38   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Thanks for the information. When will Mr Prabhakar release data for RaceDynamics Pro and Spider? Even I'm considering one for my Fiesta Classic TDCi either between Spider or RD Pro. Only a through report will help in finalizing.
What do you all suggest Spider or RD pro? Prices of both are same. Only problem with RD is that what if I'm at a signal in stock mode and want to accelerate quickly, than I need to change mode to P1 or P2. Which is cumbersome. With Spider its just one and just need to tap accelerator more and it would do the same as RD in P1 or P2 mode. Total confusion prevailing.
What you said El bobo... couldn't agree more. I just need one setting that should do nothing extra (i.e stock) if I'm driving with a light foot, but should also be able to adapt and give me the boost/punch I need when driving with a fair amount of throttle input. I don't really want to be fiddling around with a remote. Looking at this plainly without any results, the Spider seems to be the best buy. But i'm no expert on the subject, we'll have to wait for the results - I have no clue when they'll be out.
Old 2nd December 2011, 00:54   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
For the love of your engine do not install any tuning box that cannot vary the turbo boost or in other words that which cannot increase the air flow. Do not install any box that increases common rail fuel pressures as a means to increase power. To the best of my knowledge there ain't no tuning box that controls air flow as yet.

This is probably the umpteenth time that I am making the above statement but it is because I love engines.

Thanks for that article.

Are all tuning boxes in indian market based on fuel rail pressure increase?

Has anyone tried remap for 1.3 multijet/ DDiS? what is the usual cost of a remap, and what will be the performance gains for the same?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 2nd December 2011 at 00:56.
Old 2nd December 2011, 08:50   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite

Thanks a lot for this link! I just read the whole thread. I feel really glad that I bought the spider box instead of everything else for my Endeavour! The technology in the box just caught my attention. Eagerly waiting for those results to come out.

Also just an update on the Spider Tuning box I have on my Endeavour: still working perfectly well! I also suspect that my car is getting better performance from normal diesel rather than the high speed that I regularly fill. Just filled half a tank of regular diesel a few days back and the car seems to have a better top end than with high speed diesel. More testing required though. This might be some sort of placebo.
Old 2nd December 2011, 09:32   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
...... I also suspect that my car is getting better performance from normal diesel rather than the high speed that I regularly fill. Just filled half a tank of regular diesel a few days back and the car seems to have a better top end than with high speed diesel. More testing required though. This might be some sort of placebo.
Most tuning boxes respond better to normal diesel. In fact with Pete's it was well known that Premium often had a smoke problem.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:48   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post

There are few boxes which alter the turbo boost too. they are bit costly but better than the CR types.

Race Chip also has it but they do not market it.
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:49   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Superb review. I am itching to get this on my i20 diesel. Its a monster in its stock state. God knows what it will turn into with the tuning box .

Few clarification required.

How do we get to know that the modes are changed? Is there any indication or sound ?

How easy is it to remove the box and re fit it? is it a simple job that can be done by ourself? Because I plan to remove it before going for a service and re fit it myself after service.
Hey Sagar, I'm pretty rusty when it comes to writing but thank you for the appreciation.
As for your questions,

1) There is no indication apart from the "feel" in the way the car drives. At times (initially), I've been confused as well regarding what mode I'm in. Once you get used to how each mode feels to drive, its easy to figure it out. I used to press the mode I want to run in, in case I wasn't sure what I was in.

2) Takes about 5-10 minutes to remove (takes a tad longer in the Scorpio as the fuel rail coupler is below the inter cooler) and yes, you can do it yourself. The box is a straight fit into the coupler of the fuel rail so its quite easy to unplug and plug it back in post the service.

Cheers
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:50   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
Most tuning boxes respond better to normal diesel. In fact with Pete's it was well known that Premium often had a smoke problem.
Thank you very much for confirming my suspicions. I had been filling premium for a few months and was really debating whether to fill normal or premium this time. Especially after noticing increased performance with standard diesel! This is great news!

Everyone take note: Your tuning boxes will respond better to NORMAL diesel! In my personal experience I find this to be true. There definitely is a noticeable difference.

I will probably fill Hi-Speed for a few tank fulls every 10,000km to get rid of the Carbon built up. Other than that, normal diesel all the way

Last edited by Endeavour333 : 2nd December 2011 at 11:56.
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:59   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Folks who also employ drivers will benefit from the RD unit as one can just leave it in Economy mode and not worry about the driver pushing the car around hard when the owners aren't around.
Personally, I like having complete control over how I would want the engine to behave although a lot of people might prefer having the box make the decision for you. More than the method of mode selection, try getting a test drive with both the boxes on a similar vehicle and decide what YOU prefer in terms of driveability.

Cheers
Old 2nd December 2011, 21:07   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post

Everyone take note: Your tuning boxes will respond better to NORMAL diesel! In my personal experience I find this to be true. There definitely is a noticeable difference.

I will probably fill Hi-Speed for a few tank fulls every 10,000km to get rid of the Carbon built up. Other than that, normal diesel all the way
Its a known fact premium diesel is bad for modern crdi engines. Only use normal diesel from now on.

As for the carbon build up, the high speed diesel will only cause more carbon. Just rev your nicely a few times every once in a while, in gear or not and that will get rid of quite a bit of carbon.
Old 3rd December 2011, 01:50   #73
BHPian

This will be useful info for this thread as well (similar as my earlier post in another thread):

I spoke to Kiran from TDI Racing (ph: 9900068200), Bangalore a day ago, they charge Rs.32,000 (best discounted price for now) for a ECU re-map for a Vento/Rapid. 30~35% claimed boost in power/torque.
Old 17th January 2012, 10:35   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
This will be useful info for this thread as well (similar as my earlier post in another thread):

I spoke to Kiran from TDI Racing (ph: 9900068200), Bangalore a day ago, they charge Rs.32,000 (best discounted price for now) for a ECU re-map for a Vento/Rapid. 30~35% claimed boost in power/torque.
Hello kryptonite, Rapid has got decent power but one never gets satisfied and crave for more, so tuning box is a great option. Currently not many manufacturers are offering the same for Rapid/Vento. I have got some really good reviews (from users/friends) about Spider box. Same would cost approx 24K with one year warranty. Also promised to boost approx 25bhp and 50Nm torque, which should be sufficient to bring a wide grin while flooring the right pedal.
I am looking forward to install it in next month and will post the results once done.
Till then please keep us posted about development at your end.
Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 10:52   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
Hello kryptonite, Rapid has got decent power but one never gets satisfied and crave for more, so tuning box is a great option. Currently not many manufacturers are offering the same for Rapid/Vento. I have got some really good reviews (from users/friends) about Spider box. Same would cost approx 24K with one year warranty. Also promised to boost approx 25bhp and 50Nm torque, which should be sufficient to bring a wide grin while flooring the right pedal.
I am looking forward to install it in next month and will post the results once done.
Till then please keep us posted about development at your end.
Thanks
A fellow Endeavour owner on these forums, ssh1979, did a good test drive of my Endeavour with the Spider box and was absolutely astonished with the performance gains. An aftermarket air filter also helps gains considerably. So please consider buying an aftermarket air filter, even a stock replacement air filter from K&N or BMC will give significant gains with a tuning box.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks