Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2011, 11:24   #1
BHPian

Spider Diesel Tuning Box VS. Pete's Tuning Box - Spider Box feedback on pg 2

Guys i'm thinking of getting a tuning box for my Ford Endeavour and I need help in choosing which one to get. I have a 2011 3.0 4x4 AT Endeavour. I already have a K&N Air filter and have increased the turbo pressure. The two tuning boxes i'm looking at that are both presently available in Chennai are:

1) Spider: Spider® diesel tuning.

2) Pete's: Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited> Main Section > Pete's Tuning Box

I'm really in a dilemma as to which to choose. Spider seems fancier with more tech and is also a UK company but Pete's is apparently quite popular in India.

Please help me out. I have contacted dealers for both in Chennai and am actually getting a demo of the Spider box soon. The dealer said that I can try it on my car and if I like it then I can buy it. Will put up a review of the Spider once I try it for others to benefit. I can meet the Pete's dealer today though and will hopefully convince him to give me a trial before I actually purchase it so I can compare the two.

Thank you in advance for your hep
Old 16th August 2011, 11:30   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Spider Diesel Tuning Box VS. Pete's Tuning Box - Spider Box feedback on pg 2

I've read in a couple of places about you increasing your turbo pressure. I really want to know how your turbo pressure has been increased?

And secondly, you should probably lower your turbo pressure before installing a tuning box, so that you don't put extra strain on the engine.

I've not experienced Spider but Pete's has been running on my Innova for almost 80k without any issues. Pete's is also psi-motorsport which is a Belgian company.
Old 16th August 2011, 15:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Spider Diesel Tuning Box VS. Pete's Tuning Box - Spider Box feedback on pg 2

+1 to that..The first thing to do BEFORE installing or trying out the tuning box would be to go back to stock turbo pressure, else there is IMHO a chance of damage to the engine / turbo.

I am sure you took that into account !!

Spider was also supposed to launch a tuning box for the Pajero, do check with your dealer if he has any news of that.

Cheers

Cheers
Old 16th August 2011, 16:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I've read in a couple of places about you increasing your turbo pressure. I really want to know how your turbo pressure has been increased?

And secondly, you should probably lower your turbo pressure before installing a tuning box, so that you don't put extra strain on the engine.
Not sure how the turbo pressure was increased exactly but whatever was done it sure as hell made quite a difference! And yes turbo pressure will be reduced before I install the tuning box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
+1 to that..The first thing to do BEFORE installing or trying out the tuning box would be to go back to stock turbo pressure, else there is IMHO a chance of damage to the engine / turbo.

I am sure you took that into account !!

Spider was also supposed to launch a tuning box for the Pajero, do check with your dealer if he has any news of that.
Ricky I actually thought of that but didnt think I would need to reduce the turbo pressure to get the tuning box. I just thought I would get extra power with both mods. I went ahead and tried the box today without reducing turbo pressure and it was pretty scary.

Will check about the tuning box for the Pajero and get back to you.

I Just got back from testing out the Spider Tuning box and yes, turbo pressure IS a problem. The performance increase is good but at 3300 rpm the Engine cuts out! The guys at Electra Automotive said that it's due to excess turbo pressure so they asked me to bring my turbo pressure back down to stock levels before the tuning box would start working well. Apparently there was also some black smoke coming out of the engine at the end of the test run (very bad for the engine I hear). The tuning box was removed and thankfully the exhaust smoke turned clear again. They said it turned black because the tuning box was combined with the increased turbo pressure. My car has just gone for its first service and as soon as it gets back I will be reverting the turbo pressure back to stock to put in the tuning box.

Will let you all know how it goes.
Old 18th August 2011, 10:50   #5
BHPian

I have just bought a Ford Figo diesel and would like to install a tuning box.

This being my first diesel car and first ever serious modification on any car, I am a bit apprehensive about the functioning of these devices.

I have the quotes of Petes as well as of Spider and the price difference between the two is nearly Rs. 20, 000/-.

Is it advisable to add a tuning box to the Figo? Please advise.
Old 18th August 2011, 10:52   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar View Post

Is it advisable to add a tuning box to the Figo? Please advise.

Its completely fine to add one. But wait for about 5000 kms so that your engine is pretty much run in, and then install it.
Old 18th August 2011, 12:32   #7
BHPian

i speak here as an individual. given that you guys are in the market for tuning boxes, also suggest you look at the race dynamics tuning box....also a good option.

phil
Old 18th August 2011, 13:27   #8
BHPian

i second that... race dynamics makes one of the best piggy backs and ecms in the country. you should try the diesel range.
Old 18th August 2011, 13:52   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I have used the Pete's box on a Accent Viva CRDi for almost 35000kms and it was an absolutely wonderful experience.

However, I faced two issues. Namely :-

1. Addiction to the box
2. Under Hard Accelaration, lot of smoke from the exhaust. Tried various things like change fuel pump, replaced stock filter but, smoking issues remained.

I never heard about Spider Box but, Racing Dynamics seems like a good option to compare as it comes with 4 distinctly different toggle options.

1. Pete's is used by many extensively so reliable and a safe bet.

2. RD, quite a few people in recent past are very happy with this product. Reliability cannot be commented in detail

You can take your pick from above
Old 18th August 2011, 17:00   #10
BHPian

First a quick question for you guys:

How bad is increased Turbo pressure for my Engine/Turbo really? Because I have been hearing a lot of different things from different people.

Some things I have learnt after doing some initial research on both Tuning boxes:

Pete's:
- Reliable
- Performs well for everyone
- widely known and well proven
- Dealer says I will get 20 hp and 50 nm torque from the mod - sounds realistic
- produces excess smoke from exhaust (not sure how bad that is for the engine). Some tuners say "No smoke no poke", so maybe that means that it gives better performance than the spider?
- Rs. 31,200 for my Endeavour

Spider:
- Relatively less well known in India, less proven
- some reviewers were not too happy with the performance gains (Spider is apparently supposed to give you the most performance gains after 50km of driving with it)
- claimed 40% increase in power on website but dealer said I will get 25% on my car = 39hp, 95nm torque. Seems a bit unrealistic but this is one of the main reasons I am favoring the Spider over Pete's.
-Spider seems to have a bit more tech inside with variable fuel maps that has an economy mode when you are not pressing the accel down too much but can also go into sport more in 0.1 of a second when you floor it. Sounds cool.
- Smokeless exhaust or very mild smoke
- Rs. 26,000 for my Endeavour

So basically the question is whether I go for the proven tuning box that has been around for a while and offers pretty much a guaranteed jump in performance at the expense of Rs. 5,000 more and some exhaust smoke (that I am not sure how bad is for my engine) or go for the unproven new kid on the block that promises nearly double the gains of Pete's box.

Gentlemen please help me choose. I hope some of you with Pete's box already fitted could give me some more inputs with regard to the smoky exhaust fumes and the ownership experience. Very much appreciate your advice
Endeavour333 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 19:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Reliability is of utmost importance here. You dont want to wreck your car for just the price difference btwn pete and spider.
Old 18th August 2011, 20:25   #12
BHPian

How much does the spider box cost for the Figo? I wanted to fit Pete's but the most expensive box in their range is for the Tdci. It is a whopping 41k.
Old 18th August 2011, 21:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Reliability is of utmost importance here. You dont want to wreck your car for just the price difference btwn pete and spider.
I would say that is rather a categorical statement UNLESS you are talking from a First Hand Experience Which I think you are NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsport View Post
i speak here as an individual. given that you guys are in the market for tuning boxes, also suggest you look at the race dynamics tuning box....also a good option.

phil
Do they make anything for the MIGHTY Pajero ?? Spider was supposed to happen - it did not, hence the Q

Cheers

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd December 2011 at 14:53. Reason: back to back posts... merged
Old 18th August 2011, 21:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
I would say that is rather a categorical statement UNLESS you are talking from a First Hand Experience Which I think you are NOT
No I do not have any first hand experience with tuning boxes. But I have witness a Swift with 100K km post Peted. That is good enough to earn my trust.

Considering spider tuning box- I have no Idea how reliable it is, how much the engine will take its toll, I will not put my money on it. May be it offers better performance, maybe even better reliability but I would stay away from any uncertainty.

Tuning box "if the calibration data is incorrect" can simply kill your engine within a few months. (I have seen them).
Tuning box can possibly
-Increase exhaust and in-cylinder temperature. Chances of parts failing due to high temperature increases.
-Increases Peak pressure. Conrod are affected. (This is what I mentioned before. Bent conrod)
-Then comes the compressor. Surging is not uncommon. A blown up turbo is what you want the least.
-The other parts prone to failure can be Injector pump.
and many others.
Leave out Clutch. That is supposed to wear out faster.

Bottomline- Tuning boxes do come with risks. I would choose only if they are tried and tested.

Last edited by oxyzen : 18th August 2011 at 21:51.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 22:44   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Tuning box "if the calibration data is incorrect" can simply kill your engine within a few months. (I have seen them).
Hi,
Could you please elaborate?.. Tnx!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
So basically the question is whether I go for the proven tuning box that has been around for a while and offers pretty much a guaranteed jump in performance at the expense of Rs. 5,000
For a vehicle like the Endeavor, I wouldn't compromise the 19hp (whats the bhp/ton gain?) and 5 grand gain for reliability. IMO, go for the proven one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
1. Addiction to the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
2. Under Hard Accelaration, lot of smoke from the exhaust.
Aint one of the roles of tuning box to inject more fuel? (more smoke). So, unless its on the limits, is there a need to worry?. Unless the vehicle has DPF, and sorts. Please advise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks