Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2017, 17:46   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: CB radios now available in India

No, it does not mean the car CB radios antenna illegal. It simply means the specifications of your CB unit should not have the carrier power more then 4-5watts as per rules set by the Indian National Spectrum Plan guidelines. Or you are not allowed to have a unit who's transmitting power can be amplified i.e. weather it be inbuilt ability of the unit to increase the output power or by others means such as using an external unit(range extender or repeaters) to amplify the transmitting signal.

Only authorised sellers who are licensed by the Indian government can sell the units as per rules. If the seller is not authorised by the government then your unit becomes illegal. Same as rules set out for the drones but people are breaking the rules and so are the sellers. You need to have a licence for even a small drone in India but as they say ignorance is bliss .

Increasing the antenna height does not means you are breaking any rules but keep in mind that the CB unit should be able to supply enough power (limited to 4-5watts) to keep the signal strong. If the antenna is not compatible with the existing unit carrier power then no point in using it. Any use of amplifiers or a unit having more then 5watts of carrier power is downright illegal in India.

There are rules for antenna height as to what extent you can raise the height. But that implies only for a fixed location and it ranges from 20-60 feet.
Randhawa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 17:59   #62
Senior - BHPian

Now that we're on this topic, I was planning to get a base unit for my car but realized that since my usage would be occasional during convoy travel can I get more out my cb radio.

Then this fellow came along and as it turns out, I can use this particular model to function as a base unit as well as a handy.

Instead of paying 7k for a base unit only I think its better to pay 9.8k when I can have both the functions. The plan is to have a permanent wiring (with on/off switch) instead of using the cigarette lighter connector so that I can turn off the current when using it as handy.

How does the plan sound? This Midland 75-822 has good decent reviews when I checked on amazon and youtube.

Now for other tricky bit - it seems that the President equipment seller in India provides the users with a letter that states the equipment name and the fact that 27Mhz range is legal for use and doesn't require a license etc. It has the Asst Wireless Advisor's signature at the bottom, the seller gives a copy to each user when they buy President equipment.

If I get this Midland radio, am I looking for trouble during a routine stop by cops? Should I simply keep the govt. notification handy that lists out use of 27 MHz freely.

Another question, what's a good range antenna (I'm assuming 4ft should be adequate) that I should be looking for. Idea is to get a magnate mount based antenna given my occasional use and if I have Midland's radio would the same brand antenna be more compatible or any brand would do?
Old 6th December 2017, 22:45   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa
It simply means the specifications of your CB unit should not have the carrier power more then 4-5watts as per rules set by the Indian National Spectrum Plan guidelines
The scientific term (if I get it right) is PEP - Peak Envelope Power. The PEP should not exceed 5W for CB radio transmitters. And the radio rules is that the output power measured at the final stage/output to antenna level. At that stage, the power output should be 5W. It is a clever rule, because even if people use amplifiers etc., the measurement is taken at the "output to antenna" level.

Quote:
Increasing the antenna height does not means you are breaking any rules
There is another aspect to this. Are we placing the antenna itself at a higher level (from ground, eg: placing it on top of a 10 floor building)? This may help in better reception & transmission. Or are we talking about the physical size/length of the antenna itself (eg: making the mag mount antenna which was 2 ft in length, to 4 feet). Changing the antenna's length, size & design should be based on the frequency at which the antenna is supposed to work. An antenna for 27Mhz may be different from an antenna tuned for 144Mhz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69
Should I simply keep the govt. notification handy that lists out use of 27 MHz freely.
That would be a good idea. Also note that if you plan to use this CB handy to communicate with other people, they also should have a CB radio (suited for India) tuned on to the same channel.

Quote:
Another question, what's a good range antenna (I'm assuming 4ft should be adequate) that I should be looking for.
Antenna design, dimension and height/length etc. are based on the frequency at which they are to be used at. 27 Mhz type antennas should be what you should be checking.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 23:22   #64
Senior - BHPian

Increasing the length of the antenna if it is to be fixed on a moving vehicle should not matter much if going by the book. Height of the antenna is specified by the government only if it is installed at a fixed location either on a building or near an airport.

So he is alright if he wants to increase the size lengthwise of the antenna on a vehicle.But obviously the unit should be able to handle it otherwise rather then gaining the strength of the signal, he would reduce it's range.

Signal amplifiers (external attachment) is strictly a no go area regardless of the output of 5w which is now only 4watts as per Indian regulations.

Yes it's a good idea to have the certificate in hand if ever the need arises. Not to sideline the fact that if you encounter a smart cop who knows the rules then he/she could ask you to produce a document by the manufacturer of the said CB radio which should clearly state that it complies with the Indian regulations and has been passed by the authorities to be sold in India.

I think it will be a good idea if we can compile a list of manufacturers who has the required permission from the authorities to sell their CB radio equipment in India. I know of only one so I will start with that.

1.President. http://www.mera-cb.com/in/FAQ.php

An abstract from their web page about the rules for usage in India.

Do I need a licence to use a CB radio?
No. In the Indian Market usage of CB Radios that comply with the applicable WPC requirements is allowed without a license. The importer or manufacturer however must have an ETA from the WPC in order to sell CB radios in India. President has received ETAs for its CB portfolio in India and would be pleased to provide this information if needed.

What are the CB radio power and frequency requirements in India?
In India the maximum effective power for CB radios is 5 watts and the frequency band for CB Radio ranges from: 26.957 to 27.283 MHz. We attempt to keep our site current but you may visit the relevant WPC site to see the government regulations regarding CB radios.

Is there any license I can get or buy that will allow extra CB channels or higher power?
No. CB radios in India have the following restrictions:
- Operate only on the 26-27 Mhz CB channels,
- They must be WPC type approved for CB use,
- They have up to 5w AM/FM output power, license free

On a personal note, I would not get a any unit not authorised or passed by our Government. Rumours has it that 4-5 Years ago, a guy from my city had made a uhf/vhf radio by himself and started messing around with the local cops. The matter was taken very seriously and within a month he was behind bars and still is. Anything resembling law enforcement equipment should not be taken lightly in India. Same goes for the couple of foreigners who were caught messing about with the Air Traffic frequency near Mumbai Airport. Probably jailed and then deported.
Old 7th December 2017, 11:20   #65
BHPian

Considering that Honda's Goldwing has recently been launched in India, and that it comes with a built-in CB radio, I wonder how compliant it will be with Indian CB regulations; or maybe Honda will merely disable the CB radio functionality completely form the bike?

Cheers
Old 7th December 2017, 12:30   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa
Rumours has it that 4-5 Years ago, a guy from my city had made a uhf/vhf radio by himself and started messing around with the local cops...
Same goes for the couple of foreigners who were caught messing about with the Air Traffic frequency near Mumbai Airport
I have got information really from the "horse's mouth", on how the WPC folks got to know about of a "rogue station" operating a transmitter in Kerala. This chap was living in a big estate on a hilly terrain and just made a small two way radio, to communicate with a small shop 2-3kms away from his home. Because the post man etc. dropped letters at this place. The media sensationalised this as a big achievement. The next case was in North India, where a chap happily said that he used to "transmit" Hindi songs using a self-made transmitter. He did this as an entertainment for his villagers. Again, Copy right violations and Telegraphy act violations were put on him (a semi-literate person).

Quote:
Anything resembling law enforcement equipment should not be taken lightly in India.
True. An average police man out there is not technically savvy to understand the frequencies, or WPC regulations. They generally go by the look of the equipment. Any thing which looks like their own "wireless set" seen on a non-official vehicle (or person) generally makes them suspicious. Talking them about channels etc., confuses them further as they also primarly operate on a "channel" mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt
Considering that Honda's Goldwing has recently been launched in India, and that it comes with a built-in CB radio, I wonder how compliant it will be with Indian CB regulations; or maybe Honda will merely disable the CB radio functionality completely form the bike?
Goldwing Specs; the one I got from the net. In India, they don't even talk about the CB radio . In the pictures of the bike, I also don't see the classical whip antenna which is seen at the back of such bikes. Looks like they would just not place any radio in this vehicle.
Old 26th September 2018, 10:21   #67
BHPian

https://midlandusa.com/product/lxt500two-way-radios/

Hi, I am planning to get a pair of this cb radio from USA via a friend. Usage will be during trekking and convoy travel. Will this set be good enough? I think during trekking it should be enough (for 300-400 mtrs). In car I can plug it into an externally car mounted antenna. I will be happy if this could give 2-3 kms while on road with this setup. Somebody having insight into these please let me know if it will work as I intend it to be.
Old 27th September 2018, 00:50   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathur2012 View Post
https://midlandusa.com/product/lxt500two-way-radios/

Hi, I am planning to get a pair of this cb radio from USA via a friend. Usage will be during trekking and convoy travel. Will this set be good enough? I think during trekking it should be enough (for 300-400 mtrs). In car I can plug it into an externally car mounted antenna. I will be happy if this could give 2-3 kms while on road with this setup. Somebody having insight into these please let me know if it will work as I intend it to be.
Nope, not good enough simply because it's not a CB radio. It operates on different frequencies and band compared to CB radio. So it will be illegal to use in India. Try getting something which specifically says handheld CB radio.
Old 13th February 2020, 20:47   #69
BHPian

Inspired by zipperone and Randhawa, I bit the bullet and bought a CB radio from President Electronics. BILL is the smallest model though not the cheapest, and suitable for my nearly fully occupied Gypsy dashboard. Their Marketing Manager Ashwani Chahal is very helpful over phone.
BILL is unique in the way that to keep the set small, all buttons for functions are in the corners, and channel up/down is on the display as well as on top of the mic. Though it has a 'Roger Beep' function, there is no PA. President's sets in India are AM/FM.
Did not take A Chahal's advice to purchase one of their magnetic mount antennae, to keep the budget low, I went for a long whip one (Maryland) which bounces around so badly that I have to keep it detached within city ! Trying to buy a TRAM fibreglass rod from AMAZON.IN, but it is not easy -- sellers take order and money, and refund when overdue stating delay in customs clearance !

Pics of BILL and MARYLAND :
Attached Thumbnails
CB radios now available in India-dscn0444a.jpg  

CB radios now available in India-dscn0447a.jpg  

SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 13:32   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny
Did not take A Chahal's advice to purchase one of their magnetic mount antennae, to keep the budget low, I went for a long whip one (Maryland) which bounces around so badly that I have to keep it detached within city !
CB Radios in India (like the one you brought) operates on the 27 Mhz frequency range, which generally requires a longer antenna. I saw the picture of the antenna. Any specific reason why you placed the antenna so ahead of the vehicle? (i.e closer to the head lights) The standard mounting place in vehicles like jeeps and gypsies is on the bonnet very near to the front glass. The antenna may still whip around* a little bit but it is not going to hit on any other vehicle or person. You get mounting clamps (called lip clamps) using which you can fix the antenna to the bonnet etc.

PS: I have an antenna mount which is fixed on the bonnet near the front windshield. I have two antennas one is the longer one (the whip) which I use when driving out of city and it is more suited for VHF frequencies. I have a shorter one which works in VHF but better in UHF, which I use within the city (so that it would not hit the sprinkler systems in basement parking).

* These long antennas are called whip antennas.
Old 14th February 2020, 20:34   #71
BHPian

sachinpk, any longer and the antenna would reach the moon ! Yes, I also said "long whip one (Maryland) "! From my research, antennae are available in 4', 3' and 2' sizes -- mine is 4.
As for the mounting, I put it there 1) for looks (most abroad, and in police cars even in India, are mounted in that area, 2) that it does not whip my windshield, and also 3) for max distance from the roof and windscreen frame. Mounting advice on the President Electronics guide, and most advisors on YOUTUBE suggest as far away as possible from other tall metal, like the roof. Best position would be ON the roof.
By mounting near the windshield, you are lowering its reception and transmission power somewhat, I think. Any way, I have ordered a TRAM fibreglass piece which I plan to install closer to the windshield, and compare.

What set do you use, and some pics of the antenna, please ?

I also wanted to buy a hand-held set, but PRESIDENT -INDIA do not have one yet, and keep postponing the RANDY-3's launch date (first December, now March). So I tried buying MIDLAND 75-822 from AMAZON.IN with aforementioned results. Unfortunately, because it is a unique set with three different battery packs (AA alkaline, AA rechargeable, and 12v) and two different antenna sockets (BMC & PL-259).
Next I tried the Uniden PRO401HH, which is a very basic set, but all right for my limited use. The seller obliged on first try ! Pic below, with two magnetic antennae to increase its range.
Attached Thumbnails
CB radios now available in India-dscn0445a.jpg  

SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 10:55   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny
As for the mounting, I put it there 1) for looks (most abroad, and in police cars even in India, are mounted in that area
Are you sure on the bolded part? At least in three southern states - KA,KL & TN - which I regularly drive around police vehicles generally have their wireless antennas fixed on the left side, in an area very close to the wind shield. If there are two sets they would fix the next antenna on the right side. And if they are on higher frequency ranges (which means antenna sizes are smaller) they generally fix it on top close to the 'light bars'.

Quote:
By mounting near the windshield, you are lowering its reception and transmission power somewhat, I think
Ideal position as you rightly said is on top of the roof, but the antenna length is a problem. I have not noticed very big dips in reception or during transmission. But I am a HAM, so can operate on higher powers (when compared to CB radios).

Quote:
What set do you use, and some pics of the antenna, please ?
Earlier I used to have ICOM set when I had a Mahindra Quanto but now on a smaller Brezza I have a QYT set. Please find some images of the antenna setup I have in my car.
Attached Thumbnails
CB radios now available in India-teambhp_0001.jpg  

CB radios now available in India-teambhp_0002.jpg  

CB radios now available in India-teambhp_0005.jpg  

Old 15th February 2020, 19:43   #73
BHPian

Thanks, sachinpk. As you are a HAM operator, you have more experience with 2-ways, antennae, reception, transmission etc. But true that most police Boleros, Sumos & Gypsies in our part of the country have the antenna on the front lip of the bonnet or on lightbar/guard/bullbar. Same thing I noticed on US vehicles (in Pics), some having in your location too, and some on the rear Stepney carrier.

Anyway, as I said, when & if I get my fibreglass TRAM, I shall try it nearer the windshield. The present one from PRESIDENT is 5 feet long, BTW, and not 4' as I wrongly mentioned without measuring earlier !

I have also purchased a basic SWR meter to 'tune' the various antennae to the car-mounted and hand held sets, and some adapter couplings. Please let us have your valued opinion ?
Attached Thumbnails
CB radios now available in India-dscn0448a.jpg  

Old 10th March 2020, 20:04   #74
Senior - BHPian

Got a President Walker Base Unit and a Montana UP antenna with magnetic base for my Duster AWD from Mr Ashwani Chahal. Very helpful person and all promises were kept without any follow-ups. Got a copy of the letter from the Dept of Telecommunication mentioning the model and the frequency range along with a copy of the ETA. Hopefully I won't be challaned for the antenna citing modification.

CB radios now available in India-img_20200208_22554402.jpg

CB radios now available in India-img_20200113_194701.jpg

CB radios now available in India-img_20200113_164206.jpg

Using a magnetic mobile mount and it's back plate to hold the mouthpiece on the dashboard

CB radios now available in India-img_20200216_203425.jpg

The only issue I am facing is not getting a PA speaker which is small but again loud enough to be fitted in the Duster's engine bay.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 10th March 2020 at 20:19.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 20:32   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Got a President Walker Base Unit and a Montana UP antenna with magnetic base for my Duster AWD
For what purpose do you use the radio for? CB radios are not very common and if others around you are not onboard, then it doesn't serve much purpose.

Most Viewed