Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2021, 00:26   #91
BHPian

Re: CB radios now available in India

Greetings!

On closely examining the government order that did away with the need for licenses for CB radios, I found the phrase built-in antenna. Which basically seems to refer to handhelds only(?)

While all enthusiasts flaunt long antennas on cars. So, strictly speaking, that's not ok?

Looking forward to responses on this subtle point.

Best regards
NS
Attached Thumbnails
CB radios now available in India-screenshot_20210720002126.jpg  

naga.sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 22:22   #92
Senior - BHPian

I believe from what I understand that it's ok, it says 5Watts radiated power and built in antenna. Unless someone corrects me.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 20:27   #93
BHPian

Never read it that closely ! Foxes me. Seems there is scope for misinterpretation, and so harassment !
Should take it up with police wireless experts, or those in the armed forces. Even they may not have a clue unless exposed to CBs.
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 20:54   #94
BANNED

That language is prone to misinterpretation because it refers to "effective radiated power not exceeding 5w including with external antenna" but a following line says no license required for one with "built-in antenna". So is there an implicit assumption that any radio with built-in antenna will not have more than 5W radiated power? And using an antenna that increases power to a limit of 5W is all right?
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 13:46   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa
I believe from what I understand that it's ok, it says 5Watts radiated power and built in antenna. Unless someone corrects me.
This would for all practical purposes restrict CB radios to be walkie talkies only. Only walkie talkies come with what is called as built in antenna. In other static/mobile sets, the radio set and the antennas are kept separately and connected via a feeder line cable. The advantage of having external (i.e not built in) antennas is that if it is placed in the right place distance of communication can be increased. If this new restriction is imposed communication range which can be got using CB radios will come down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny
Should take it up with police wireless experts, or those in the armed forces. Even they may not have a clue unless exposed to CBs.
That may not help. They are not the people who form the rules & regulations for wireless communication in India. That is unit is the Wireless Planning & Coordination Wing. Even the frequency allocation, and usage guidelines for police and other security agencies are done by WPC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul
That language is prone to misinterpretation because it refers to "effective radiated power not exceeding 5w including with external antenna" but a following line says no license required for one with "built-in antenna".
I checked the circular displayed in a couple of posts above. It does not talk any thing about external antenna, and only talks about effective radiated power & built-in antenna.

Quote:
So is there an implicit assumption that any radio with built-in antenna will not have more than 5W radiated power? And using an antenna that increases power to a limit of 5W is all right?
It is not an implicit assumption, but a requirement which CB radios will have to meet. That is the set should be designed in such a way that it will only radiate 5W at the antenna. If it puts in a higher wattage, the manufacturer/user can face legal action. Even with 5W power we can extend the range of communication by placing an antenna at a right position (for example, on top of your house or a tall building/hill etc.). Now when the next requirement is that CB radios should only have 'built-in' antennas; it removes the advantage I mentioned above. The antenna is fixed permenantly to a 5W radio, which essentially make it a walkie talkie. This would reduce the communication range of the CB radios. For example in heavily built up areas you may only get a few kms of coverage.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 14:59   #96
BHPian

I checked informally, and the outlook isn't too positive for those who use, say, a BILL set of President which needs an antenna to be fixed. Have filed a RTI on this and let me see what is the response. It's got to be a handheld set and as of now, I don't think handhelds are available in India. Randy III that was to be launched a long time ago hasn't yet been launched in India.

WPC doesn't respond usually imho and am not sure if they have a functional website either. So, no other option than to file a RTI.

Cheers!
NS
naga.sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 15:35   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga.sid
WPC doesn't respond usually imho and am not sure if they have a functional website either. So, no other option than to file a RTI.
If the GSR 533(E) notification is available to general public, in that case an RTI can be filed using information provided in that notification. So the agency who has to respond will not be able to say it is not covered under official secrets act or laws similar. WPC has responded to a few RTIs which I had filed related to delay in issuing my HAM license.
Old 28th July 2021, 13:12   #98
BHPian

I read up on the ETA document issued. If the model you use for CB radio has a ETA, it's ok to use it in India.

Cheers!
NS
Old 7th August 2021, 20:34   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga.sid View Post
I checked informally, and the outlook isn't too positive for those who use, say, a BILL set of President which needs an antenna to be fixed. Have filed a RTI on this and let me see what is the response. It's got to be a handheld set and as of now, I don't think handhelds are available in India. Randy III that was to be launched a long time ago hasn't yet been launched in India.

Cheers!
NS
Hope you get a clear reply, and update us soon !

Just like you mentioned, I got a President BILL and whip antenna, and was calling up to find out when RANDY III would arrive. But the Corona virus killed that prospect, or delayed it indefinitely, I think.
But hand-helds are available on AMAZON.IN -- Unidens and Midlands.
I got an Uniden for a low price -- all CBs, antennae, and other accessories have doubled or trebled in price in the last one and a half years.

Armed with the copy of the specific law/rule that President sent with their BILL, I decided to get the ordinary but cheap Uniden PRO 401 HH for Rs. 5400/- in January 2020. Price now is Rs. 11265/- ! All details in posts 69,71, &73 in this thread, a few pages back.
I also tried to get the unique Midland 75-822 THRICE, (the last time at 9766/-) but all sellers took payment, made me wait indefinitely citing customs clearance delays, and refunded. Price now is a whopping 21045/-!

This set is unique because it can be used as car mounted as well as handheld, and has three power options.

Any one in need of an HH set can order on AMAZON.IN, and get a copy of the rule allowing CBs in India from us -- those who brought President sets.
But do get a magnet mount antenna, cable, and required couplings, also available on Amazon (these were also cheap beginning of 2020, and prices have shot up since).
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 10:51   #100
Senior - BHPian

Any trusted or recommended place to get CB radios in India ? apart from Amazon where there are only Unidens available. I am looking for CRT one and I can only find on Fabtolab but there recent reviews suggest there are not responding to people who have purchased from them not refunding their money either.

Has anyone purchased anything from Fabtolab recently ? Please advice .
Old 7th September 2023, 11:37   #101
GTE
BHPian

With the 27mhz band specified for the cb radio the reach is nothing great as one is replying on a ground wave which is more or less line of sight and maybe a little more depending on the surroundings. However sometimes you may get openings to Europe and even America if the ionospheric conditions are favourable. These openings are more likely in the winter months.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks