Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2013, 12:06   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: 3M Nomad Foot Mats : Product Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Actually its the 3M Nomad which is new in the market, other loop mats were available with building supply stores since many many years. 3M Nomad too is a building/indoor mat.
Thanks. I stand corrected Nomad came later than the others. Just that they probably are better now than other brands were.

Quote:
I found (was directed from the 3M website) an online store for the 3M products, mats are available too.
http://emahendra.com/68-matting
Thanks for the link Sankar . This will be convenient for people who want to choose the required length and do DIY jobs themselves.
Old 30th April 2013, 12:28   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
A question though - does 3D leave any exposed portions of the floor at all in your car?? In the Linea and my friend's Swift, the 3Ds occupy almost the entire floor area, both at front and at the back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Its not like leaving exposed floor portions but I want to cover some more areas, or maybe another layer over or under the existing 3D mats.

Will definitely update once I do the DIY.
The 3D mats does cover the front passenger area very well, however, the same is not true for the rear seat passenger area. May be the reason due to this is the 3D Kagu mats are common for Punto and Linea.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 12:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The 3D mats does cover the front passenger area very well, however, the same is not true for the rear seat passenger area..
You put the exact issue and as you stated, some car models share same matting, hence there is always scope for some exposed portions on the floor. And we are frogeting the boot, extra matting will definitely help there.

And I am also seeing a potential of good sound deadening solution in these type of thicker mats.

EDIT : Karthik, did you notice any change in road noise filtering inside the cabin after covering the floor with these matting?

Last edited by tbppjpr : 30th April 2013 at 12:38.
tbppjpr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 12:36   #19
BHPian

I have used the 3 M mats for my Nissan Sunny. It is simply great
1) Does not stain the original carpet, as it cut to the contour of the foot area.
2) Covers the rear perfectly, even the hump area.
3) Even if there is dirt and gravel, it is not visible. Unlike other floor mats, it is trapped and sinks to the bottom of the mats. The mats always look clean.
4) Easy to get rid of the dirt /gravel. Just dust it, or clean with water.
Seeler_Rebeiro is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 12:38   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I found (was directed from the 3M website) an online store for the 3M products, mats are available too.
http://emahendra.com/68-matting
I was just checking matting length and max size available is 3ftX4ft though 4ftX4ft is listed but not available
For covering passenger/back seat floor we may need more than 4ft length. Any idea how to get more than 4ft
I want to try DIY job

Last edited by aka_iitd : 30th April 2013 at 12:40.
Old 30th April 2013, 12:40   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
You put the exact issue and as you stated, some car models share same matting, hence there is always scope for some exposed portions on the floor. And we are frogeting the boot, extra matting will definitely help there.

And I am also seeing a potential of good sound deadening solution in these type of thicker mats.

EDIT : Karthik, did you notice any change in road noise filtering inside the cabin after covering the floor with these matting?
Absolutely. This is what I have done, used the Kagu on the upper layer and left the 3M mats at the bottom and it does work as sound deadening material as well as a bit more softer footwell for the passengers.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 13:30   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
For covering passenger/back seat floor we may need more than 4ft length. Any idea how to get more than 4ft
I want to try DIY job
The right way to do it would be to take 2 strips of 2 ft length each (or how ever much your footwell measures), for the left and right sides and one strip for the centre transmission hump. Using one long strip would not only cause issues while lifting and cleaning, but would also have wrinkles/humps and improper seating.

That would be a total of 5 portions. You would have one strip for driver's side, one for front passenger, one each for left and right rear passenger footwell areas, and one for the centre transmission hump with some extra length to allow overlap of centre portion with left and right rear mats.

No point comparing with 3D (for single rear piece), because 3D mats have accommodated the transmission hump height into the overall shape when designing the single rear mat piece.

Last edited by KarthikK : 30th April 2013 at 13:36.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 14:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was just checking matting length and max size available is 3ftX4ft though 4ftX4ft is listed but not available
I want to try DIY job
That store is based in Bangalore since you're from the same place just ring them up and ask. If you go an pick it up from them you might get a better deal on the prices too compared with online prices.

Btw have you measured the footwell area? How much do you need to cover the front and rear separately?
Old 30th April 2013, 14:18   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
No point comparing with 3D (for single rear piece), because 3D mats have accommodated the transmission hump height into the overall shape when designing the single rear mat piece.
Thanks Karthik for suggestion but I have SX4 which has a huge hump for center rear passenger. In present setup one piece is provided to cover the hump but always we find the piece lying somewhere under driver or co passenger seat . Because of this that hump has really messed up now.

Quote:
That store is based in Bangalore since you're from the same place just ring them up and ask. If you go an pick it up from them you might get a better deal on the prices too compared with online prices.

Btw have you measured the footwell area? How much do you need to cover the front and rear separately?
Sankar nice pointer to visit them. I will call them to find if they have pickup facility also. Also I will check if they can suggest alternative method.
Rear foot well area is more than 4ft due to hump so I need approx 4.6+ ft

Alternative would be to visit some shop who may have big roll size in length
Old 30th April 2013, 14:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rear foot well area is more than 4ft due to hump so I need approx 4.6+ ft
Instead of using a single piece to cover the rear area i would suggest that you use three pieces instead. 1 piece each for left and right foot wells and one piece to cover the central hump. The central hump piece would go under the pieces on either side keeping it firm. This is how i have it in my swift. The advantage in havin separate pieces is that its easier to take out, clean and dry. And it looks decent too, i'll post a pic later today.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 16:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
i'll post a pic later today.
Thanks once again
I will wait for your pictures
Old 30th April 2013, 17:09   #27
BHPian

This looks to be a good offering for its price from 3M. I smell a hardcore 3M'er now . Nice review Karthik and looks like i will be going later for getting these. A word of mouth recommendation from a Bhpian is as good as it gets :thumbsup!

I had seen this in the virugambakkam 3M outlet and was slightly apprehensive. He had quoted 3k+ as the charges for it. Doesn't look as good as kagu but if it can get the job done, i am game.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 30th April 2013 at 17:11.
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 17:51   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

As always, excellent thread and thanks for the detailed pics. The price looks reasonable considering I paid around 1.5k for a readymade porcupine type of mat. Not hijacking your thread but pointing out some of my views here.

1) Vento - Entire floor vinyl covering with 3M type mats (similar to the one discussed in this thread)
Since this is locally sourced, the quality isnt great. It does a good job in collecting the dust/dirt and doesnt move around. The major drawback is when it gets wet. There's a foul smell and it gets worse during monsoon. Removed this and went for the transparent mat. Does not do a good job but sticking with this since the car is rarely used nowadays.

2) Verna - OE mats. Useless IMHO. As shown in your pic, it tends to get dirty and during monsoons the mats get really dirty and the reaction of the passengers while stepping in is and my reaction would be (why cant I spend some cash get a better mat). But as always, this aint my daily ride so no issues.

3) Swift - Porcupine type of mats. IMHO, this is one of the best that I have used so far. It collects dirt well but I wouldnt say better than Nomad kind of mats but the best part is that this mat doesnt give out any foul smell when it's wet. I have washed these many times and does the job well. Moreover, it still looks new even after using it for 3 years (except for the driver side mat). The only drawback I see is that after rigorous usage the section below the clutch and gas pedal is worn out. But in a way it's more comfortable now since I have this position set to keep my foot freely. But cant ask more for something for mats worth 1.5k and having used for more than 3 years.

Karthi, sorry for hijacking your thread. But thanks for the review. Might consider this for our new vehicle.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 19:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

Karthik,
Another fantastic review of the floor mats. I was looking at an alternate to 3D Kagu and will surely try this bit. Yes they are not aesthetically appealing but going by the way you are describing them it does offer a lot of practicality.

Thanks for it, rating it a well deserved 5*.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 20:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks once again
I will wait for your pictures
Here are some pics of the mats in the rear.. Excuse the dirtiness, the car has been returned by the maruti delaer workshop in a hoorrible internal condition after some body work on the roof, the interiors were loaded with putty dust i cleaned some couple of days ago. (*Vent mode on*Work done isn't great either, my next purchase won't be a Maruti...just to escape their callous workshops*vent mode off*)

Three pieces that does the job in the rear
3M Nomad Foot Mats : Product Review-20130430_183926.jpg
How it looks inside
3M Nomad Foot Mats : Product Review-20130430_185556.jpg
3M Nomad Foot Mats : Product Review-20130430_185645.jpg
The mat covers the complete floor area under the seat
3M Nomad Foot Mats : Product Review-20130430_185703.jpg

Last edited by Sankar : 30th April 2013 at 20:17.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks