Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2014, 12:09   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: EcoSport TDCi: Tuning Box or Remap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
True. But, would you take a risk of remap with a 1-month old Ford car? I personally would not even take it with even a tuning box. But, comparatively the risk is lower in a tuning box

Do you plan to learn how to remap your car or have the remap tuner in Pune? If no, then be prepared for some inconvenience for mapping and un-mapping ( if it's required)
Dear Avi,

I dont know the age of the car, I saw the discussion going for a while about remap/tuning box. I would prefer remap.

If I were to remap my car, I would at least wait till 10K kms to iron out any issues that might popup in the initial stages. If the person is looking for remap/ tuning box so early, he bought the wrong car.

I started using a tuning box at 20K kms

I dont intend to learn to remap the car. I only know of Tune o Tronics and Petes are the tuners. I dont know if they have a branch in Pune. Bangalore and Kerala guys are at an advantage here

As explained by Digital Vampire above, if the ASS really wants to take a serious look, they can detect both the tuning box and the remap.

I have read a thread on the forum, how tuning boxes override the stock settings and each over ride is logged as an error/warning.

So given that both tuning boxes and remaps can be detected, I would select a remap.

Last edited by F150 : 10th February 2014 at 12:17.
F150 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 15:32   #62
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure about the RD box for the EcoSport, but I've read on the RD box thread that only the first type of box is available for the Figo and Classic TDCI engines. I also read that installing the box on those two cars is not easy, as the area where it sits is difficult to access. If this is so, then there is equal amount of effort needed for restoring to stock when compared to the remap.

But I agree that remaps should be done after 10 K kms.
Old 10th February 2014, 17:16   #63
BANNED

If an owner is looking at easy power without spending much time in trials then the Tuning box is a better option but if one wants to get into the details and tune it to his liking then there is nothing to beat a Remap.

I still prefer the Remap than tuning boxes, and all these must be done after the warranty ends which could be between 15-20K for normal car users.

Anurag.

Last edited by Zappo : 5th December 2018 at 20:14. Reason: Please use a spellchecker and also take care of your grammar going forward.
Old 8th June 2014, 20:44   #64
BHPian

EcoSport Remapped and Modified - Tuning box review

My Ecosport 1.5 TDCI was just 7 months old and had 7500 KM on the odo. Remapping voids the warranty of the car and the thought of losing warranty on my new car, was certainly scary.

Trying out the Tuning box:
So I thought of trying out the tuning box from DieselTRONICS (Race Dynamics). I called the number on their site to inquire about the tuning box for Ecosport TDCI . The guy on the other side was very polite and helpful. He offered to have a trial of the tuning box before purchasing. He directed me to the DieseTRONICS dealer – Harsh in Pune.

I met Harsh the very same day and he came across as quite a knowledgeable person. He showed me the tuning box for Ecosport. This is what it looks like:

EcoSport TDCi: Tuning Box or Remap?-dieseltronics.jpg

The tuning box for ecosport costs a hefty 20K. We talked for a while and Harsh shared information about the company, other tuning boxes offered, etc. He then called his mechanic – Umesh, who buy the way, turned out to be one of the most talented and honest auto mechanic I had ever met. That’s an extremely rare combination to find. Anyhow, Umesh then started the installation process.

The Tuning box Installation:
These tuning boxes are advertised as ‘Plug and play’ units, which they are, only if you are a mechanic yourself. Don’t even think of buying these online and try to install it yourself the first time.
I realized this when I saw Umesh dive under the car in order to access the Common Rail of the engine. A cable connects the common rail to the ECU of the car. This is where the tuning box acts as a mediator. The cable carrying signals from the rail was connected to the tuning box, which in turn was connected to the ECU unit. It may sound simple but accessing the ports and connecting them right, is not everybody’s cup of tea. In Ecosport the rail is located deep down, and that too, towards the dashboard. The location is similar to that of Nisan Micra. So it is best to get it done by professionals. The last thing you want is to damage the ports or wires while trying to be DIY hero. Anyway, the tuning box was in place and it was time to test out.

Testing the DieselTRONICS Tuning box:
We fired up the engine, stood in front of the car with the hood open, so that the engine sound could clearly be heard. Then we pressed the buttons on the remote to test the effect of different modes on the engine sound.

DieselTRONICS tuning box has 4 modes:
  1. S: Stock mode which means the tuning box will not have any effect.
  2. E: Economy mode for better mileage. Power goes down in this mode.
  3. P1: Performance mode where performance is enhanced to some extent. I didn’t find it very noticeable.
  4. P2: Performance mode where performance is enhanced noticeably. Mileage goes down in this mode.

On click of every button, there was a slight variation in the engine sound. This proved that the tuning box was working. We tested the remote from within the car as well but the difference in engine sound was not detectible from within the cabin.
DieselTRONICS claim that the tuning box can add upto 20 BHP to the car’s power i.e. my Ecosport should now be able to deliver 110 BHP of power. Now it was time to put this claim to test. Though it is impossible to verify this without a dyno, I was willing to settle for an easily noticeable difference in power.
I drove to holkar bridge with Harsh and Umesh, as it has little traffic in the afternoon. As soon as we reached there, I turned the AC and audio system off. I wanted to make sure that I get to notice the slightest change in engine sound and power.

My first test was for torque. I stopped the car on an empty road and made sure that the tuning box was in stock mode. Then I closely observed the car’s pickup in first gear when it gets moving from standstill position, without the use of accelerator. I did that a couple of time so I could memorize the behavior. Then I switched to P1 mode and did the same thing. The car actually picked up with lesser effort and slightly more quickly. It was nice to observe this difference and see the tuning box make a difference. I switched back and forth between Stock mode and P1 mode and repeated this teat multiple times to ensure that the results were repeatable. Next it was the P2 mode. The difference between Stock and P2 mode was very much noticeable and the car was picking itself up with much ease from stand still. I was able to release the clutch paddle a bit faster in P2 mode than in Stock mode and the car didn’t knock even with 3 adults onboard.

The next test was for raw power – BHP. I drove the car first in the stock mode and reached the 3rd gear. I stayed in 3rd gear long enough to get a hang of the car’s behavior. I also floored the accelerator paddle a couple of time to observe the pickup. Then in 3rd gear itself I switched directly to P2 and floored the paddle. The power difference was easily noticeable and the car was climbing up the rev range much quicker. I did the same test with P1 but it was just slightly noticeable. I didn’t enjoy it much.
I ended my testing with Economy mode which I simply hated. The power simply dies in this mode.

After playing around in the 4 modes for almost 2 hours I concluded the testing we went back to wakhadewadi where we had started from.
By this time Harsh was quite hopeful that he would not have to remove the tuning box from my car and the sale was concluded, I, on the other hand was not willing to make an impulsive decision and had different plans. I thanked both Harsh and Umesh from the bottom of my heart, for a well delivered demo and headed home after getting the tuning box removed from my car.

Conclusion:
The tuning box for Ecosport works and gives that additional kick to the performance of the car.
I still decided to NOT opt for the tuning box.

It is because of what I learned about these tuning boxes and how they actually work. My sources to obtain this knowledge were different resources on the internet and discussion with automobile experts and remappers. They all pointed out the same issues with tuning boxes.
  • The signals that the tuning box intercepts, are exchanged between the common rail and the ECU.
  • All a tuning box does, is that it alters the instruction coming from the ECU to the common rail.
  • Out of hundreds of parameters that control the performance of an engine, the only parameter a tuning box alters is the fuel intake.
  • If, for a certain RPM, the ECU instructs a certain kind of air fuel mixture, the tuning box would alter that signal to make the mixture richer in fuel. The tuning box would deliver this altered signal to the engine.
  • Based on this signal the air fuel mixture generated would have more fuel. This would slightly increase the power output. This is what causes the fuel economy to go down. But that’s not all.
  • The ECU in modern cars is smart. It is a learning computer. It constantly keeps collecting and analyzing the data from various sensors that are present in a car.
  • This includes the sensor that reads the composition of exhaust gases. The ECU knows exactly what the composition should be for a particular air fuel mixture.
  • When it detects inconsistency between the fuel intake and exhaust gases, it tries to correct the air fuel mixture but the tuning box alters that too.
  • In extreme cases, the combination of a tuning box and an ECU unit trying to correct the signals, may cause the car to produce black smoke and loose performance.
  • After a certain number of correction attempts, when the ECU continues to receive inconsistent readings, it starts logging errors. These errors can be read via the OBD-2.
  • This also busts the myth that use of a tuning box is not detectable by the service center if you remove it and take your car for service. If used long enough the tuning box will cause the ECU to log loads of errors that service centers guys can detect just by running the diagnostics tool on the OBD-2.
EcoBeast is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 00:31   #65
BHPian

EcoSport Remapped and Modified - Remapping Review

To remap or not to remap?

With Tuning box out, remapping was the only option. Though I had already made up my mind about getting my Ecosport remapped, the real question was: Was it the right time to do it? After all, my car was new and my biggest worry was - Would Ford Service center detect it and void my warranty when I take the car to them for next servicing (which was due soon).

So I decided to consult with the experts. I called every single remapper (in India of course) that I could find on the internet and presented myself as a potential client. I clearly told everybody that I am calling other remappers also and will choose the one who satisfies my queries.

It was a pleasant surprise to know that every remapper I talked to was open and willing to share even the most technical detail, including the tricks of the trade.

All I needed to know was, if service center guys can tell whether or not the ECU has been remapped. But I couldn't ask it directly. That would be stupid because the answer would always come as ‘No’. After all their business was at stake. So instead I asked them to explain to me all possible ways to identify a mapped ECU. And almost everybody told me the same two ways to do it:
  1. Physically remove the ECU unit from the car and inspect it visually to look for tool marks (to tell if the unit has been opened). Note that this is only applicable in case of Ecosoprt (and some other cars) because it cannot be remapped from the OBD2 port (yet). The ECU unit needs to be removed from the car and opened up. Most other cars can be remapped via the OBD-2 port.
  2. Connect to the OBD-2 port, read the existing maps then compare the content of each file with the original (un-remapped) version of the same file and observe the difference.

Now that I knew the ways to identify mapped ECU, the next step was to figure out if the service center guys can do it.
So I called the service center and inquired about upgrades available to Ecosport firmware and how it is applied the car. They told me that they download the latest version from Ford server and flash it to the car via the OBD-2 port. Then I asked if the existing firmware is read. They answered that their tool checks the version number and if it is older than the one downloaded from ford server, the newer one is flashed.
That was good enough for me. I didn’t go in more details, as I didn’t want to raise suspicion.

I finally had my answer. I decided to go for it.

Before we dive in and I share my experience, I'll quickly share some details about how remapping really works. Most people know that it is reprogramming of the ECU and it improves the performance but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Very few people understand what’s going on under the hood. I’ll share what I learned about it, while keeping it simple.

How remapping really works?

An ECU is just like a computer and has RAM, cache memory, a ROM, storage capacity, etc. just like your regular home PC/laptop. It might be an oversimplification but that is what it really it. The ROM has the program stored in it. It is this program that the CPU of the ECU executes. This program has instructions for reading different sensor values and perform calculations etc.
The program is of no use without a database. There is a database which is called ‘Maps’ these maps are stored in one of the chips in the ECU. These maps contain a variety of metrics/tables, just like an excel sheet. An example of the data that one such sheet might contain is - What should be the torque output for a given engine speed and throttle position. The sheet has an entire range of possible engine speeds and throttle positions and for each combination, the torque output is defined. There are tens (sometimes even hundreds of such tables)
Another type of data that maps may contain is about limiters. For a particular gear, what should be the maximum RPM that the car can rev up to? What should be the maximum BHP generated at a particular RPM with a particular type of air-fuel mixture? etc.
The ECU uses the program to read the maps and generate the behavior that the maps dictate. Whatever BHP, Torque, Fuel intake, etc. is written in the map is delivered by the car. There are hundreds of such parameters that are covered in the maps.

And all a remapper does, is change values in these maps. Yep, that is all they do. If more BHP is to be generated, the remapper would update the corresponding map(s) and bump up some figures so that the ECU instructs the engine to generate that much power. If your car won’t go beyond 4000 RPM and you want to push it further, the remapper would bump up the corresponding limiter(s) further.
Sounds easy right? Well it isn’t. You have to have a good understanding of these maps and their effect before you can even think of changing them. Also, most maps are 3 dimensional which means they take 3 ranges as input to provide one range of output values. Though you can open and edit a map in excel, there are specialized tools for editing these maps the right way and remappers have expertise in these.

I think that should demystify remapping to some extent.

The only remapper that I know of, who goes a step further and does ‘recoading’, is ‘TDI Racing’. These guys don’t just change the maps, they also alter the program that the ECU executes. They tweak the assembly code of the program to allow multiple sets of maps in your ECU. Which means you can have one map for performance driving, one for economy driving, one for Stock, etc. And you can switch these maps whenever you want. They will program one of the buttons in your car, say for example, the button to turn the AC on. If you press it once, the performance map will be used, press it twice quickly and the economy map will be used, and so on.
But they had only done it successfully for Skoda cars. They had no experience of recoding other cars. When I contacted them they obviously had not tried recoding Ecosport yet, but were ready to ‘experiment’ on mine. They were even willing to do it for me dirt cheap, if I let them try it on my car. I took the wise decision and chickened out.

Choosing the right remapper.

After talking to many remappers and checking their reviews, I chose Tune-O-Tronics from Bangalore. Everybody had nothing but good things to say about them. Even some of the fellow BHPians had got their cars done from them in the past and had amazing experiences with them. The gems in the Tune-O-Tronics crown are Vivek and Siddharth. Most of the discussions that I had were with Vivek and he was very genuine, forthcoming and open throughout. Every single query that I asked was answered patiently, professionally and honestly.

They even told me in advance that performance tuning has some impact on the components and that I should expect the life of turbo to be reduced by 5% to 7%.(max). Under normal conditions, a Turbo lasts 150000 KMs. On an average, I drive 1000 KM per month so my turbo should last around 12.5 years. Considering a 7% loss of life, it should still last around 11.5 years. I certainly don’t intend to keep the car for that long, so this was easily acceptable to me. The point is, no other tuner had been this honest and open. I had started to see already, why Tune-O-Tronics was preferred choice among auto enthusiasts, when it came to remapping.

My Requirement

During my discussions with Vivek, I had shared exactly what I wanted out of the remap. The problem area that I had identified with the Ecosport was the RPM range 1400 to 2000. This is the range where I felt the need of more power. After 2k RPM, the turbo activates and the car delivers the surge you need. Also by the time the car reached the RPM of 2k, it was already roaring and I used to feel discouraged to rev it up further and tempted to shift up the gear. This used to take away the opportunity to enjoy the turbo surge. In a nut shell, I wanted the turbo lag gone and the car to run smooth without too much roaring. Vivek assured me that they can do it for me.

Meeting Tejas

Tune-O-Tronics guys have responsibilities distributed among themselves. Siddharth updates the maps, Tejas handles the clients and also applies the maps developed by Siddharth. They also have tie ups with automobile experts located in different parts of the country, who meet the clients and apply customized maps developed by Tune-O-Tronics. This way they can cover different regions better. One of them is MaxMax fom Goa. Tejas from MadMax was the guy who was finalized to come and do my Ecosport. A date was finalized and Tejas came.

A white Scoda Rapid came in and this unassuming guy stepped out, introducing himself with a gentle smile on his face. We parked his car in my parking and he took out the tools of the trade from the boot of his car. I knew I was dealing with serious professionals, the moment I looked at the giant molded toolkit that he pulled out of his trunk. It had MaxMax branding on it.

We talked for a short while where he shared some information about what all will be done as part of the remapping process. He then he inspected my Ecosport which was parked right behind his Rapid. He got into it the driver’s seat, turned on the ignition, checked the signs and lights on the console, fired up the engine and then turned it off.

Then he asked me if I wanted to do the remapping right there in the parking, or elsewhere. I proposed doing it in my home. He agreed and asked me to handover the car keys, which I did. He secured the keys in his pocket, opened up the hood and started unscrewing the plastic jacket that was covering the ECU. He then unplugged the 3 cables that were connected to the ECU and then unscrewed the The ECU itself.

Once the ECU unit was out it was looking a lot like a hard drive of a PC. This is what the ECU of Ecosport looks like:

EcoSport TDCi: Tuning Box or Remap?-img_20140310_161312.jpg

We went upstairs to my flat where he opened up his toolkit and carefully selected some tools that he was going to need. The first step was to open up ECU. I knew that because Tejas had already informed me that Ecosport ECU needs to be removed from the car and opened, so it could be remapped. Tejas then spread a towel on a table, placed the ECU on it, plugged-in a heat gun into a nearby plug and started heating up the edges of the ECU. This came as a surprise because I had pictured “Opening up the ECU” as just unscrewing of some screws. I had no idea that an ECU is actually sealed like a headlamp and a heat gun is needed to open it up.

Anyhow, after heating up the edges, the real struggle started. The steel lid had to be pulled off the aluminum housing. Using a pair of screwdrivers, Tejas carefully started to lift the Lid and it took him around 10 minutes to get it completely off and expose the circuit plate within. It was a painstakingly slow job that required utmost care. Smallest push to the screwdriver in the wrong direction and there was a risk of damaging the circuit plate within. I admire patience of Tejas. He was calm and careful the whole time. Though I was watching him rip open the brain of my car I didn’t feel tense or worried even for a second. The rapport that Tune-O-Tronics had built had me convinced that my car was in good hands.

The remapping process
Once the unit was opened, the real work started. Tejas mounted the ECU on an aluminum deck and called up Siddharth on phone and started discussing about the model of Bosch ECU that he was dealing with. Then he started connecting the ECU with his laptop. The process involved connecting only a specific set of pins of the ECU. If you observe the pictures below carefully, you will see that there are individual wires connected to just a few pins of the port.

Sorry for the poor quality pictures. I didn't have a camera handy at that time so I took these from my mobile.
EcoSport TDCi: Tuning Box or Remap?-img_20140310_145146.jpg

EcoSport TDCi: Tuning Box or Remap?-img_20140310_144954.jpg

EcoSport TDCi: Tuning Box or Remap?-img_20140310_144613.jpg

The intent was to only power up a specific chip (CPU) containing the existing maps, while leaving the other functions of the ECU turned off. This bypassed the security mechanism of the ECU.
Once the wires were connected to the pins in the port, it was time to read the existing maps from the ECU. The largest chip (CPU) on the circuit plate was to be read directly and not via the port. A 'Pin' was suspended from the deck, and was made to touch one of the legs of the chip. Which leg to touch was also identified based on a manual that Tejas was following very carefully. With the pin secured. Tejas did some magic on his laptop and details about the ECU started popping up on the screen and soon enough, a blue progress appeared and started to grow. Tejas told me that the reading of the existing maps has started. After 15-20 minutes the maps were read and Tejas emailed the maps to Siddharth. Then he called Siddharth and the discussed the improvements that I was looking for, in the power. It took siddharth around 20 minutes to update the maps and mail the updated files back to Tejas. Then the process of writing the maps back to the chip. started. This time it took the progress bar 30 mins to reach 100%

While we were waiting for the writing process to complete, Tejas shared some good information about how the maps take effect and how the car’s behavior would be, after the remap. He told me that the writing process is happening directly on the chip and it would overwrite everything. Even the cache would be cleared. I asked him what he meant by ‘Cache would be cleared’. He explained that as we drive, the ECU monitors the driving pattern and style of the driver. It monitors what RPM the car is driving at most of the time, how is the gear shifting pattern, etc. Based on this driving style, the ECU ‘learns and adapts’. It generates ‘temporary maps’ and stores them in the cache. Once generated, these cached details are used by the ECU to support that particular driving style. This is the reason we feel the car is behaving different after we receive the car back from a friend, after letting him use it for a couple of days. Or when we have just had a long highway drive of couple hundred KMs and now driving in the city. In both cases the ECU had adapted to the most recent driving style, which was different from the usual.
Anyhow the point was that the cache would be cleared and will be generated based on the new maps, over a period of a few days/couple hundred KMs. As the cache is generated I should expect further improvement in the performance.

Once the copying of new maps was completed, Tejas and I went down to the parking to install the ECU back into the car. The ECU was not sealed yet. This was to allow for further tuning, in case I needed any tweaks. As soon as we got into the parking, Tejas asked me to hand over the car keys again. He secured the car keys in his pocket and then started installing the ECU. I asked him why he kept doing that. He answered, it was a precautionary measure. When the ECU is not present/functional and the buttons on the key fob are pressed, it may cause problems with car’s locking system or even cause error lights to turn on, in the console.

Once the ECU was connected, we turned the ignition on and observed the lights on the console. Everything was normal. Then we fired up the engine and it worked just fine. Tejas congratulated me on a successful remap and we got in the car to test the performance.

Drive after the remap

The moment I sat in the driver’s seat, the first thing I noticed, was that the car was running a little silent than before. Then we got out on the road. I was driving just as I used to before the remap, but this time the car was always on a higher RPM than I predicted based on the engine roar. The engine was not roaring as it used to and it jumped from 1500 to 2000 RPM without any effort. It seemed as if the turbo surge was there right from 1400 RPM. The car was constantly encouraging me to rev up and touch 3000 RPM. There were no vibrations, roar or any lag of any sort, throughout the rev range. I slowed the car down a couple of time and then picked up the speed to ensure that it was really the case and I wasn’t just fooling myself

Then Tejas told me to press the paddle and let it loose. The moment I did that, I just had to shout - Woooooo. The car was much more fun to drive and the power surge was always there no matter what the RPM.
Tejas informed that the car now had around 115 bhp and around 245 nm torque. There was no way to confirm that without a dyno, but given the drive, I trusted him. After confirming the power gain, it was time to test the map in extreme conditions. We needed an empty road which, fortunately, was very close to my place. We chose the 6 lain road in Pimple Saudagar that goes to Shivar Garden. Tejas wanted to see if the car produces any black smoke on high RPM. So he got out of the car and stood at the divider of the road, while I went ahead. The plan was that I would pass by him while driving past 4000 RPM and he’ll monitor the exhaust. So I turned around, got the car in 3rd gear and floored the paddle. The car quickly climbed to 3000 RPM. While climbing to 4000 RPM I could feel it roaring. I zoomed by Tejas, turned around and did it again. After a couple of runs, he signaled a thumbs-up. I stopped, he got in and we headed back home. The test was successful. No black smoke, no issues of any sort while driving.

I was happy with the results and didn’t need any tweaking. Siddharth had got it right in the first go itself. We then headed back home where Tejas removed the ECU from the car again and sealed it with silicon glue. He installed it back in the car, tested it and we concluded by congratulating each other for a successful remap.

The entire remap experience with Tejas was simply awesome. I made a new friend that day. We then went out and celebrated over a mushroom-mayonnaise role.

Tejas was actually ‘Tejas the Racer’

After it was all done and Tejas was about to leave, I got an opportunity to drive his Scoda Rapid. It too was remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. Only difference was that it was tuned for nothing but RAW performance. I realized that, when I got to the same 6 lain road where we tested my Ecosport. He again asked me to floor the paddle, and I did. The pick-up was so hard that I felt getting buried into the back of the seat due to sheer torque of the car. Siddharth had tuned that car for Racing and Tejas had participated in multiple car races and rallies with that car. He had won some of them too. So basically I was driving a race car. In spite of similar cubic capacity, this car felt at least 50% more powerful than my tuned-up ecosport.
Anyways, I was happy with my Ecosport and that’s all that matters. Overtaking absolutely anybody on any speed is now a jiffy.
I am about to receive an updated tune, sometime in this week and I am going to go a little more aggressive with it.

Stay tuned for the review of the upgrade. I would be posting pictures of much better quality this time.
EcoBeast is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 14:09   #66
BHPian

@EcoBeast, Wow is the only word I could say after reading your post on both tuning box and remap. You demystified the difference between remap and tuning box in a simple way that a newbie on these would understand. Thanks a ton to you.
sabsubs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 08:54   #67
BHPian

Hey. If you dont mind, can you please share the cost of the remap ? I am sorry if i missed it in you post.
bhavukjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 15:26   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavukjain View Post
Hey. If you dont mind, can you please share the cost of the remap ? I am sorry if i missed it in you post.
Tune-O-Tronics normally charge 34k for a remap. You may try bargaining a little but don't expect much.
EcoBeast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 20:54   #69
BHPian

It requires a big heart to pass on the information that we learnt to others in such detail. I really appreciate your effort to create this thread.

Remapping was a big question in mind for a long time and your detailed post clarifies it. Thanks Buddy!
Old 26th June 2014, 07:52   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoBeast View Post
Tune-O-Tronics normally charge 34k for a remap. You may try bargaining a little but don't expect much.
When did it hit 34K ? They were charging 28K few months ago.
Congratulations bro on the remap.
I am still sitting on the wall thinking about if I really need a remap or to make the jump in to remap world.
Old 26th June 2014, 14:04   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
When did it hit 34K ? They were charging 28K few months ago.
Congratulations bro on the remap.
I am still sitting on the wall thinking about if I really need a remap or to make the jump in to remap world.
I guess they bumped up the price because of people like me who haggle a lot .
I too have spent 2 years in the same dilemma before making up my mind. In my opinion, nobody ever "needs" a remap. It is "desired".
It is a lot like cellphones. You can live without it till the time you get one. Then it becomes a necessity for you.
EcoBeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 21:21   #72
Senior - BHPian

My friend had a horrible experience with TDI racing on his i20 diesel, he took the car with a smoke issue and low mileage. Instead of checking the root cause from basics they removed the cylinder head, the timing chain, tensioner and started saying that oil pump is blown out. They initially quoted around 40000 and later went upto 80000 saying all parts have to be replaced and they are faulty. The guy over there was saying they have to experiment with all parts and check the issue, he was not ready to give a timeline and wanted the vehicle to be with him for experimenting. We realised he is clueless about the problem and trying to make money and asked him to give back the vehicle in running condition, they started saying that with all faulty parts in hand the vehicle may not start. I told him politely we want to drive out the car the way it came in and not tow the vehicle. They were pissed off with my presence when I accompanied my friend as I spoiled their buisness, god save these guys, finally our vehicle is out of their place. Beware of them and never leave your vehicle there and fall prey into their hands.

Last edited by deehunk : 9th July 2014 at 21:29. Reason: typo
Old 9th July 2014, 21:33   #73
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
finally our vehicle is out of their place.
So what was done by them to solve the issue? Did they find the root cause of the problem?

Anurag.
Old 9th July 2014, 21:41   #74
Senior - BHPian

They were clueless and were asking for time, except the turbo and engine they probably suspected all other parts were faulty. We told them to fit back all parts and give back the vehicle. They did nothing in the end.

Last edited by deehunk : 9th July 2014 at 21:43.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 22:04   #75
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
We told them to fit back all parts and give back the vehicle. They did nothing in the end.
So the parts were re-fit and car handed over to you, was it handed over in the ECU on remap or stock map?

Still facing the issue that your friend had reported?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks