Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2006, 17:47   #1
BHPian

The reversing camera & parking sensor thread

Hellow,I think to install a reverse guidance system in my Lancer.There is two options are available ,thats Reverse camera system and the parking sensor.I have no idea about the actual usefulness of the parking sensor and reverse camera.If anyone have experience with this stuffs or idea pls advise me which one is better for me and cost-effective ?
Old 1st August 2006, 19:22   #2
BHPian

From a usefulness point of view... parking sensors are good enuff, basically
the sensors are drilled into the rear/front bumpers, you can get a display or no display sensor kit...

the sensor will detect the distance of objects in the rear or front (if you have front sensors) of the car... and throw an audible warning sound (beep beep) the beep gets stronger as you get closer to the car/object in the rear/front. Very usefull in tight parking spots...

Hooking up the parking sensors will be definately cheaper then a camera system... I am not sure what's available in India but here in US a friend of mine got a wireless parking sensor... i helped him set it up, it was an easy setup no wirings (20-30 mins setup time).
DaPilot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2006, 11:40   #3
BHPian

I have a six sensor kit fitted in my swift (4 rear, 2 front). Got it for 3000Rs. I had checked the reverse camera which came around 10K. In my view the sensors should do the job.

Make sure that you stick the sensors, make a few forward/reverse checks before drilling down the bumper to fix it permanently.
Old 2nd August 2006, 11:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

How does the front sensor work? Do you have a separate switch to turn it on when you want or is it always on? Considering our tight traffic conditions, I don't think it could be on permanently!
Old 2nd August 2006, 11:56   #5
BANNED

Any long term reports on the sensors? Was thinking of picking up a kit.
Old 2nd August 2006, 12:02   #6
BHPian

The sensor is activated when the vehicle starts and if there is no signal from front sensors for 30 sec the unit is turned off. To turn it on you will need to go to reverse gear or an additional switch should be installed. After turning on when the vehicle is not in reverse the front sensors work.

I did not prefer an additional switch as my dash has already many switches.

Last edited by ksethuram : 2nd August 2006 at 12:22.
Old 2nd August 2006, 18:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Any long term reports on the sensors? Was thinking of picking up a kit.
Have fitted reverse sensors for Accord for about 6 months now. Got them fitted from Honda dealer.
Works great and makes job of reversing very easy. It also comes with small screen which shows distance while reversing in numbers and bars along with sound.
Sensor get activated automatically once Reverse gear is engaged.

In rain though a couple of times it gave false alarm as I think it was due to water which was on sensor (It was raining heavily that time)

Very much recommended.

Quote:
How does the front sensor work?
The Honda dealer told me that screen comes with a switch which turns the sensors ON or OFF.
Old 2nd August 2006, 18:49   #8
BANNED

Hey thanks Adya. What brand/model did you pick up? Cost?
Old 2nd August 2006, 19:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Hey thanks Adya. What brand/model did you pick up? Cost?
Don't know about the brand.
Cost was around 6k for rear sensors only. It costs about 10k for both front & rear sensors.
Old 2nd August 2006, 21:34   #10
BHPian

Hi I've got 4 sensors fit on the rear bumper of my Swift with the camera drilled on the top part of the number plate, the 2.5" LCD screen is integrated with the rear view mirror, no parking hassles at all, get the distance of objects in cm. Also clarity of the video when its dark is good too. Cost me nothing, my friend is a distributor of these sensors in Bangalore. The price at which he sells though is Rs. 10.5k. He has sensors from 2 sensors think the pricing starts at around Rs. 1.5k to the top end camera one for Rs. 10.5k. Its definitely worth it atleast for sedans and SUV's

Last edited by anarchist : 2nd August 2006 at 21:36.
Old 19th September 2006, 16:21   #11
BHPian

I got camera fit in my swift

they put the camera in the rear bumper & camera lens comes out in centre of number plate.

the clarity is amazing

and the rear view mirror becomes LCD screen showing view from camera once the car is in reverse gear.

and when gear is back to normal, the same becomes a rear view mirror.

only glitch is that mirror is little dark, so it becomes a little difficult to see behind in dark. but its ok, i can manage easily.
Old 19th September 2006, 16:22   #12
BHPian

the camera with LCD cost me 7500 rupees.

and i paid 500 rupees extra for fittings.

but at the same time i also got a digital clock and fog lamps fit in my car. so the 500 rupees was the total fittings cost.
Old 19th September 2006, 18:23   #13
elf
BANNED

I got two words for you...
1. Turn around, &
2. Rear View Mirrors.

Get a good wide angle roof mounted RVM like I have & you're pretty set, along with the motorised left & right side RVMs.

In case my options aren't suitable for you, do what the girls in my building do - whenever you wish to park, simply get outta the car, say "Driverjee, zara please garry ko park karna na" in your falsetto voices, whilst lifting up your long skirts so you don't get dirt on it.

IMHO, parking sensors only make sense for vehicles like the Tata Safari & other restricted view SUVs. On a hatch, it's hilarious!
Old 19th September 2006, 19:48   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf

IMHO, parking sensors only make sense for vehicles like the Tata Safari & other restricted view SUVs. On a hatch, it's hilarious!

Fitted them on the City for my wife. Offered to do this on her swift and she said no thanks- I need to learn for myself. Must add one gets complacent when used to the device. I must confess that have nudged a wall in the swift thinking I was in the Honda!!!
Old 20th September 2006, 10:39   #15

hey elf... the swift does have a very high tail line.. i dont see what the harm is in getting a device that can aid you in crunch situations... it will help even the most experienced of drivers....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks