Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2017, 15:03   #106
BHPian

Re: Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento

Hello all. Does anybody know where I could get trw rear shock absorbers for my polo in mumbai? Also is it true that TRW parts do not come with any sort of warranty in india ? Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 21:58   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrariwell View Post
Hello all. Does anybody know where I could get trw rear shock absorbers for my polo in mumbai? Also is it true that TRW parts do not come with any sort of warranty in india ? Thanks
You could try on spareshub.com. I had purchased TRW suspension components for my car from them.
Old 28th September 2017, 23:16   #108
BHPian

To all the Gurus in here,

I have a 1.6L GT TDI and have been contemplating a suspension upgrade. My car has currently done 74k and now that I am planning to upgrade- going through this thread, the question that comes to my mind is:

If I want a stiffer than stock set up, how to I match up all suspension components to work seamlessly? All struts, mounts and stabilizers?
(I could get that all parts need to match up, but couldn't figure it completely)

Thanks in advance.
Though I have been taking notes so they percolate in my grey cells.... Still it all feels a bit confusing.
Intelsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 12:53   #109
BHPian

My front left strut is leaking oil for quite sometime now & the right suspension making slight noise when I go over speed breakers. Also, the steering wheel doesn't feel very stable at low speeds(may due to issues with link rods or something else). I am planning to book an appointment with Cartisan as I saw a case study on their website on Vento suspension replacement where I could see that they are using TRW spare parts. Need inputs on the following points.

1) Has anyone used Cartisan services in the past specifically for suspension related work? If yes, what is your feedback?

2) If anyone has done suspension related work in VW service center, can you please share the rough cost split?

Thanks in advance,
Dheeraj

Last edited by DheerajNK : 21st February 2018 at 12:57.
Old 15th August 2018, 20:50   #110
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Could you confirm the final combination of aftermarket suspension for Vento / Rapid.

Sachs 314 717 in the front and TRW in the rear ?
Old 6th September 2018, 09:40   #111
BHPian

Finally got both front and rear suspensions replaced on my Vento MPI. Car has done 83000 Kms so far. Inspecting the stock suspension, it was observed that they have become weak but no problems related to oil leakage. Still went ahead with the replacement as this work is generally done at 55-60K Kms and I survived so far by 20-25K

Replaced both front and rear suspensions with TRW. Had explored an option of Sachs but it was costing double the price (Front 6.5K per strut, Rear 6K pair). TRW costed 6.5K for both the front struts and 4.5K for rear pair. Total material costed 18K as needed to replace everything i.e. ball joint, steering rod ends etc. Ordered the material from Sparehub.com. They have an office in Baner, Pune. Excellent service, good customer care. I made a payment in the evening and they delivered material directly to workshop next day morning. Labour costed 7K. Got it done from Tune up Plus, Pune.

Suspensions feel really good. Definitely stiffer than stock but not as stiff as Bilstein B6. Bumpiness has disappeared from the car and it's absolutely flat now. After getting over a speed breaker, it runs just flat without bouncy feel. It might be a bit of compromise on comfort for passengers, but it gives overall a very confident ride. Handling, corning has become better.

So overall happy with TRWs. Thanks coolboy for starting this thread. This was a real decider for me between VW stocks vs TRW.
nexus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 13:49   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
Replaced both front and rear suspensions with TRW. Had explored an option of Sachs but it was costing double the price (Front 6.5K per strut, Rear 6K pair). TRW costed 6.5K for both the front struts and 4.5K for rear pair. Total material costed 18K as needed to replace everything i.e. ball joint, steering rod ends etc. Ordered the material from Sparehub.com.
So overall happy with TRWs. Thanks coolboy for starting this thread. This was a real decider for me between VW stocks vs TRW.
Thanks Nexus for posting this. Could you please share the list of components that were replaced. May be you can post the invoice from spareshub.

I am also considering the same for my rapid. I too am in Pune. Where do you live in Pune ?
Old 10th September 2018, 00:11   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Thanks Nexus for posting this. Could you please share the list of components that were replaced. May be you can post the invoice from spareshub.

I am also considering the same for my rapid. I too am in Pune. Where do you live in Pune ?
Below is the invoice.

Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento-screenshot_20180910000326__01.jpg

I ordered it after consulting with Abhijit (Tune up Plus, Baner) who did the work. Btw, I checked the invoice just now as you asked for it and realised that I have got them even cheaper than what it was quoted earlier .. . I bargained with them on complete quote and they discounted all items at 9% which is the max discount as per them. You can try that out too. I stay at NIBM.
nexus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 09:43   #114
BHPian

Would moving to TRW struts have similar benefits for a car like Honda City? I'm planning to upsize tyres (to 195/60) to improve ride & handling/braking, and coupled with this change I feel the car should feel much better to drive.

It's currently tuned for ride comfort, with a soft suspension that feels neither here or there.

Anyone tried this in a City, or is it generally for Euro cars like the Vento?

Thanks!

Last edited by Parth46 : 10th September 2018 at 10:02.
Old 10th September 2018, 15:51   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
Below is the invoice.
Thanks a lot for posting these details Nexus. My Vento TDI has run 64k Kms and one of the front struts is leaking oil. At present, my car is doing heavy duty on the Shiradi/Charmadi (western ghats) roads almost every weekend and I don't think they will last long. Even I have plans to replace the stock suspension with TRWs & I have been following this thread from day 1. The parts list you have shared is definitely going to be very helpful. If any BHPians from Bangalore can recommend a workshop who can a neat job with Vento's suspension, that would be really helpful. I live in North Bangalore.

Thanks,
Dheeraj
Old 12th September 2018, 19:50   #116
Senior - BHPian

I called spareshub today to enquire about the make of TRW shocks. They said it comes from all regions including China.

The price of Sachs struts is double that of TRW. Is it worth paying double for Sachs ?
Old 17th October 2018, 10:04   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
Would moving to TRW struts have similar benefits for a car like Honda City? I'm planning to upsize tyres (to 195/60) to improve ride & handling/braking, and coupled with this change I feel the car should feel much better to drive.

It's currently tuned for ride comfort, with a soft suspension that feels neither here or there.

Anyone tried this in a City, or is it generally for Euro cars like the Vento?

Thanks!
BUMP!!

Any feedback here, guys?
Old 17th October 2018, 19:27   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
BUMP!!

Any feedback here, guys?
I guess the brands make suspensions as per the automobile manufacturer. A TRW strut made for a European brand will have a different set-up than for a Japanese manufacturer.
The only handling difference would be if you spend on say a suspension aftermarket manufacturer like koni, bilstien, KW and the likes.

Modification gurus can help here.
Old 9th November 2018, 00:58   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
I recently discovered more about the suspension changes in Vento. The imported shocks I have are rated for vehicles with sports chassis, at least the rear Monroe ones. I have also discovered my car has different coil springs than other cars I checked. The number of paint marks and their colors indicate a specific coil spring, which likely corresponds a distinct part number for the coil spring.

Apart from that, as with sports chassis, the sway bar links are also different than vehicles with standard chassis. The reason I had the thick and heavy sway bar links, with stiffer ball joints on their ends, favtory installed, seems to be clear now.

I am working on finding out if the sway bar rubber bushings are different for sports chassis, as I am aware of at least 3 OEM bushings with slightly different part numbers.

Having said that, I would like to mention that these imported VW OEM shocks may not work as well, with the coil springs on newer cars, that are rated for a standard chassis, due to the possible and likely spring rate differences.

Another thing I have recently found out is the different kinds of rubber buffers/bump stops/spring aids used on the rear shocks. I am aware of 3 different OEM rubber buffers, which are different in size, shape and also hardness/stiffness. These little things alter the spring rate of the coil springs, so it may be better to have the entire suspension "matched" for the right setup.

This is all super complicated, but I thought I would share my findings here.
Today I tried to really push the car down heavily with my hands (I weigh a 100kgs) both in the front and rear. The front actually feels very stiff. Its the rear which is very easy to push down and then it bobs like twice before settling down. Whats your part number for the rear coil spring? Where is the part number on the coil spring located? (So I can compare) + if part number not written on the spring itself will it be possible for you to measure the spring thickness and the overall diameter and height for me? It'd be easy to measure the exact thickness of the coil (diameter of the twisted rod) and the overall diameter of the coil spring if you have a vernier caliper. Following request because the thickness of the coil will directly affect the springs stiffness.

Thanks.
Old 29th June 2019, 21:47   #120
Senior - BHPian

Guys!

I happened to show my car to an FNG recently. The mechanic said that the front suspension was about 70% worn out after having run 85k KM's.

For the front suspension overhaul, he suggested that I only change the ball joints and bushing of the lower arm and not the whole arm itself. After having done finite element analysis in formula student competitions, I have a doubt whether the lower arms have been designed for a certain number of cycles or for the life of a car.

Does anyone have any experience with suspension design or real life experience after replacing the bushings and ball joint alone? Do lower arms just fail or give way randomly?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks