Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2015, 19:00   #16
BHPian

Thanks keep us posted on the performance , the rear setup has TRW struts and OEM coil springs?
Old 22nd January 2015, 23:28   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Yes Manas, my friend has a 2012 Rapid and i have a 2012 Vento. The said parts did fit without any issues in both the cars. The parts by TRW are same for both cars.

I had contacted a member of other forum who has these struts fitted on his Vento for past 8 months. I had called him and had a brief chat with him before going for this upgrade. Anyways the whole thing costed 9.5k so did experiment.

Would suggest you to wait for a few months and see how my experience with these struts goes. If all goes well, you can go for the same if some issue arises, only my money would be wasted

Yes, there is no compulsion to change all 4. I did so because my front strut was leaking oil and i wanted a stiffer set up. I have not heard the rear thud even once so far in 400-500 kms i have driven so am sure it is history now.

Since you live in NCR, you are welcome to drive my car if you want to get an idea on how the car drives vis-a-vis OE struts before going for them. Will suggest you to wait for some time, let me see if these struts hold up to the tortures NCR roads throw at them.

Thanx buddy.
Will keep myself posted with your updates!
Old 29th January 2015, 22:24   #18
BHPian

Re: Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Few questions:
  • Where did you procure these from?
  • Where did you get them fixed?
  • Are they VW approved?
  • Any idea how much the same parts cost for OEM VW ones?
I was asked to get these changed at my 45k service as one of them was leaking oil but found the cost to be way higher than what you have mentioned. The car has crossed 62k right now, I am overdue for the fourth service and the suspension is acting up; hence I don't think I will have an option but to change. If the cost is along similar lines then I will go for it.

Thank You!

I ordered the rear set from http://spareshub.com/ . They delivered this the next day. There office is on Baner road and delivery is very fast for Pune. Other cities may take 3 working days. Also got to know that there main office is in Delhi. Overall my experience was very good. The guy called me and confirmed the address. When i told i am not at office, they came to my home to deliver this. Good service i would say. I would write my experience after i fit this over the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento-trw_pack.jpg  

Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento-trw_label.jpg  

Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento-trw_rear.jpg  

Last edited by spyder_p8 : 29th January 2015 at 22:26. Reason: Additional information.
spyder_p8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 05:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Thanks keep us posted on the performance , the rear setup has TRW struts and OEM coil springs?
Yeah, the rear and front springs are oem. The mechanic had checked all parts so mountings, rubber stops etc were all in good shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_p8 View Post
Overall my experience was very good. The guy called me and confirmed the address. When i told i am not at office, they came to my home to deliver this. Good service i would say. I would write my experience after i fit this over the weekend.
Thanks for your sharing your buying experience from spareshub. Do let us know your driving experience after installing these. Dont worry initially if you find ride to be too stiff, the strus will settle in by 800-1000 kms.

Have completed 1000 kms on the TRW struts so far, had a fast dash to Chandigarh and back yesterday and the car remained planted at all speeds. Totally loving the driving experience, no more excessive pitch/bob. The struts have settled in nicely and the ride has become better compared to when they were new.
Old 2nd March 2015, 19:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

Have completed over 2000 kms on the TRW struts and the car is sailing smooth as ever. Recently had a chance to drive a stock Vento during a test drive as my friend wanted to buy it and my car handles on rails compared to the stock VW suspension. The ride quality has improved as the new struts have settled in nicely.

Not very happy with the front struts by TRW, the rears are very stiff but the front is not as stiff as i had expected, they also sided towards ride quality it seems.

The front strut mounts had gone weak as the car was making grinding sounds when stationary, got them changed and also got the stabilizer links changed as the increase in body roll was indicating tired end links. Link rods were worn pretty badly. You can also see the old mounts, they have compressed over time. The bearing inside was fine.

Mounts costed 900 and the make was febi bilstein, stabilizer links costed 1500 and were TRW make.

The ride quality has improved immensely, new strut mounts and link rods have made the ride a lot smoother, the cars sways much less after changing the link rods, handling feels very tight.

Next upgrade in line is brembo discs, will switch over to 205/55 R15 tyres next month. 195 is proving insufficient now.Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento-imageuploadedbyteambhp1425305437.697599.jpg

Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento-imageuploadedbyteambhp1425305486.232058.jpg

Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento-imageuploadedbyteambhp1425305658.439836.jpg
coolboy007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 17:08   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Manas, my friend has a 2012 Rapid and i have a 2012 Vento. The said parts did fit without any issues in both the cars. The parts by TRW are same for both cars.
I had contacted a member of other forum who has these struts fitted on his Vento for past 8 months. I had called him and had a brief chat with him before going for this upgrade. Anyways the whole thing costed 9.5k so did experiment.

Would suggest you to wait for a few months and see how my experience with these struts goes. If all goes well, you can go for the same if some issue arises, only my money would be wasted

Yes, there is no compulsion to change all 4. I did so because my front strut was leaking oil and i wanted a stiffer set up. I have not heard the rear thud even once so far in 400-500 kms i have driven so am sure it is history now.

Since you live in NCR, you are welcome to drive my car if you want to get an idea on how the car drives vis-a-vis OE struts before going for them. Will suggest you to wait for some time, let me see if these struts hold up to the tortures NCR roads throw at them.
Hi Coolboy,

Have started experiencing a similar issue with my Vento TDI. The car bobs a lot and with full load bottoms out on slightest undulations, at speed. Had VW Delhi South guys check the suspension set-up during last service and they said everything was alright. Have recently put new rubber (no size upgrade) and the ride has increased quite a bit. But not quite there yet. Would follow the updates closely.

ps. The car's clocked 53K.
Old 11th March 2015, 19:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
Have started experiencing a similar issue with my Vento TDI. The car bobs a lot and with full load bottoms out on slightest undulations, at speed.
ps. The car's clocked 53K.
The Vento sadly is set up quite a bit on the softer side and did pitch/bob a bit even when it was new but from my experience, this bobbing magnified to such an extent when the struts were worn out that i was getting irritated driving this car. All 4 of my struts were completely worn at 34k kms.

Go to the rear of your Vento, push the car down multiple times from the center of your boot lid, see if the car bounces excessively. You can also go to any good mechanic and ask him to first remove the rear struts and check their health. It only takes 15 minutes to get the rear struts out, see if the strut is working fine. Mine were sunk in completely and refused to come up.

The TRW rear struts are way way stiffer than OE struts and have really improved the handling and made the ride flatter. Rear suspension by volkswagen is just too soft.

Am upgrading to 205/55 R15 tyres this month to improve the dynamics further.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 11th March 2015 at 19:40.
Old 11th March 2015, 20:04   #23
Team-BHP Support

Has your VW transformed into a Ford after this upgrade?
Old 11th March 2015, 20:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Has your VW transformed into a Ford after this upgrade?
Not at all, its still way way far off. Don't think Vento can match up to Fiesta's agility and dynamics even with Bilstein B6 and its all down to the front heavy nature of this car. The other sore factor is the light and lifeless steering, it is slow to respond to inputs. Even autocar uk which highly acclaim Fiesta's dynamics have written poorly about Polo's handling so it can not come close to Ford in this department.

The 1.6 TDi along with super quality interiors are a plus point of this car. All cars feel underpowered after Vento and the interiors of all my cars feel cheap in comparison to Vento. The build quality is top notch, reliability issues aside.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 11th March 2015 at 20:36.
coolboy007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 00:12   #25

Hi coolboy007!
Loved reading this thread as the topic was just what I was looking for. I use a 1.6 TDI Vento and I HAVE to make my suspension stiffer. Mines done 1lakh kms and handling has deteriorated immensely. Im relatively new to the modification scene so Im not very sure of my options. I have been doing a little bit of research online and contacted a few garages in Cochin and Coimbatore. But they all gave expensive options like Bilsteins or Hotbits or changing to harder springs etc. These options all cost above 65k (except harder springs). Im willing to spend max 50k for a setup that will transform the handling abilities and give good life too. I think I ve asked too many questions already. But it would be great if you could throw some light on what my options would be. Thanks again!
Old 23rd April 2015, 21:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_p8 View Post
They delivered this the next day. There office is on Baner road and delivery is very fast for Pune. Other cities may take 3 working days. Also got to know that there main office is in Delhi.
How has your experience been with the rear struts? It is quite some time since you got your set and must have logged good miles to give a verdict on them. Hope you are enjoying your ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobjosf View Post
Hi coolboy007!
Loved reading this thread as the topic was just what I was looking for. I use a 1.6 TDI Vento and I HAVE to make my suspension stiffer. Mines done
Apologises for replying so late. I was busy and could not check team bhp properly. How is your Vento doing at 1 lakh kms? Engine performance, any injector issues, interiors. How is everything holding up so far?

As for my advice, if you want to spend 50k, would advise you to spend that extra bit and go for Bilsteins B6 which cost around 70k. Do you really want to keep the car for a few more years? Spend so much only if you want to keep the car, else you can go for aftermarket struts like TRW.

TRW's will cost just 9k for a set of 4 but they are no match to Bilstein B6's though miles better than stock OE struts.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 22:34   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobjosf View Post
Hi coolboy007!
Loved reading this thread as the topic was just what I was looking for. I use a 1.6 TDI Vento and I HAVE to make my suspension stiffer. Mines done 1lakh kms and handling has deteriorated immensely. Im relatively new to the modification scene so Im not very sure of my options. I have been doing a little bit of research online and contacted a few garages in Cochin and Coimbatore. But they all gave expensive options like Bilsteins or Hotbits or changing to harder springs etc. These options all cost above 65k (except harder springs). Im willing to spend max 50k for a setup that will transform the handling abilities and give good life too. I think I ve asked too many questions already. But it would be great if you could throw some light on what my options would be. Thanks again!

Bilsteins or Konis are the way to go. If you can get someone to carry it back from the UK this site is good -

http://bilstein.suspensiondirect.co....6R-1.6_TDi.jsp

This is assuming the Vento will be able to fit the same shocks as the Polo.

Otherwise also do look online for these Koni shocks. The part number for front is 8741-1548 and for rear is 80-2815.
Akshay1234 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 22:47   #28
BHPian

Quote:
How has your experience been with the rear struts? It is quite some time since you got your set and must have logged good miles to give a verdict on them. Hope you are enjoying your ride.

Dear coolboy007. Clocked ~4000Kms on TRW.I only changed the rear struts especially to get rid of the famous thud. The thud is no more there. Only sometimes when its too rough, there is a mild thud. But nothing like the sickening noise that use to be earlier. But now i think, the fronts have become soggy. Planning to change them as well. Overall, i feel Vento suspension should have matched the build quality of the car. My car is about to reach 30K now. I didn't find any issues in other areas. Engine as expected is still pumping out brute force.
Old 25th April 2015, 13:05   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I have changed the rear struts to TRW in my i20 . The bounciness has reduced to a great extent and the rear does not wallow that much when pushed into corners. Although the ride quality is not superb it has improved quite a lot at the rear . Will change the front one also after they reach end of life
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 20:57   #30

Quote:

Apologises for replying so late. I was busy and could not check team bhp properly. How is your Vento doing at 1 lakh kms? Engine performance, any injector issues, interiors. How is everything holding up so far?

As for my advice, if you want to spend 50k, would advise you to spend that extra bit and go for Bilsteins B6 which cost around 70k. Do you really want to keep the car for a few more years? Spend so much only if you want to keep the car, else you can go for aftermarket struts like TRW.

TRW's will cost just 9k for a set of 4 but they are no match to Bilstein B6's though miles better than stock OE struts.
Hi coolboy007,
Thanks for the reply! Planning to go ahead with your advice. Will be ordering TRW's from spareshub.com soon. Decided against spending big on blisteins or konis as I will not be keeping the car beyond a year or so max. Plus yours and others' feedbacks on TRW's seems promising! Will update soon once I have completed the change to TRW's!! Cheers!!
jakobjosf is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks