Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your favourite number-plate font.
IND font 217 45.21%
DC font 40 8.33%
German font 114 23.75%
Speedex font 1 30 6.25%
Speedex font 2 20 4.17%
Whatever the dealership fits on my car 28 5.83%
Spanish font 5 1.04%
Frankmehta's Chevrolet Cruze font 11 2.29%
Dhaval's Ford Fiesta font 0 0%
Acrylic 3D font 1 2 0.42%
Acrylic 3D font 2 3 0.63%
Other (please specify) 10 2.08%
Voters: 480. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2016, 11:32   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Your favourite number-plate font

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoaib3030 View Post
Is the DC font available to download online ? I tried looking it up but couldn't find any proper font that matched it.
It probably is since the number plate guys now get the digits digitally printed. However, I am sure it is not called DC font in MS Office
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 11:35   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
It probably is since the number plate guys now get the digits digitally printed. However, I am sure it is not called DC font in MS Office
Haha, exactly my thoughts.

I also think this thread must include the colour of the plates - as in silver or white. I reckon white plates look better on a white car and silver plates suit a black car better. Inputs on these from other members would be helpful.
shoaib3030 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 11:54   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
Is there any shop in Mumbai who would ship one out to Chennai?
All roadside operations, so I doubt it. Have a friend of yours make these plates in Mumbai and courier them to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajith K View Post
Im using the same font for my XUV and STD500 but with out high security number plate.
Nearly identical plates on both your rides . Killer.

Quote:
Here is the pic of my CLA plates. The DC font on your jeep plates look thinner and taller compared.
Nice looking!

Quote:
However, I am sure it is not called DC font in MS Office
Hahaha!

Quote:
I also think this thread must include the colour of the plates
You hit a raw nerve, buddy. I loved those black plates; they made cars on the road look so much sweeter. Black car + black tints + black plates = . Sadly, the black plates are gone, as are the tints.

Black plates + DC font on my Lancer & Esteem:
Your favourite number-plate font-capture.jpg
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 17:03   #34
BHPian

I think my vote goes to German plates (with the blue band by the side) Searched it for a while to put on the new Audi that we have purchased. Can someone tell me a good place to make them?

The IND font comes a close second. Have put them on my Verna and damn they look good, especially with the plastic frame. Looks clean and organised.

WORST ones are the dealer plates which we always used to keep till now, no matter how good or bad looking they were. There was just one exception to the dealer plates. The ones used by Auto-Hangar/Linkway Honda. Not a big fan of them, but they looked clean. Used on expensive Mercedes cars too

Here is a pic of the plate -
Your favourite number-plate font-_20151117_121120.jpg

Last edited by Impala59 : 3rd November 2016 at 17:13.
Impala59 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 19:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

My Bike and mom's Getz have 'plates' with black stickers. All the characters are in the 'Impact' font.
Dad's Innova has the same in 'Arial' font.

I think it's high time there's a central government ruling to standardize plates. Some fonts are difficult to read, this becomes important in case of accidents.

@GTO: Those DC fonts will be hard to read when the car is moving.
Old 4th November 2016, 00:33   #36
BHPian

Interesting Thread. Personally I never gave the font too much of a thought, until I saw this thread and the poll.

On close comparision ( using the reference pics ), I liked the IND font. Having said that, My car's number plate is the same one the dealer issued me in the dealer's font.

Which brings me to a second question : Do car owners generally change their number plates in a periodic frequency ( excluding the event of an accident or a broken number plate )
Old 4th November 2016, 03:32   #37
BHPian

My vote goes to IND font, I had replaced the number plate within a week of ownership - picture below post completing 2years
Attached Thumbnails
Your favourite number-plate font-plate3.1.jpg  

IPathan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 22:11   #38
BHPian

My Vento has a genuine German-spec number plate (ordered from Germany) without the blue strip (to accommodate 10 characters as original German plates carry nine characters with the EU seal)

Your favourite number-plate font-_20161104_220518.jpg

Although the difference is subtle, it does add a lot of character.

Have you ever wondered why the "German font" looks the way it does?

The font is called FE-Schrift (Fälschungserschwerende Schrift) which translates to "forgery-impeding typeface". The characters are designed in such a way that they cannot be easily forged by drawing a line or so on.

E.g., "Zero" looks way different compared to an "O" in this script.

Many countries have adopted this font as the official font including our neighbour Sri Lanka!

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 4th November 2016 at 22:18.
salilpawar1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 22:51   #39
BHPian

I've had various types of licence plate fonts on various cars at home. From DC type to IND to speedex and apart from these, I have a habit of downloading fonts I like, giving it to my licence plate guy and getting it done using his plotter. Since last couple of years I use the Californian licence plate font which is slightly narrower than IND font and taller than speedex ones and not as thin as DC ones making it elegant as well as not easily noticeable by curious cops. Ever since I made the first licence plate giving this font to my sticker guy, who is the most popular in town, it has been his most selling licence plate font too. Any one can go to him and ask for ajay's font. For those who are from Calicut, the shop is Latha Arts. I see that most of the cars in Calicut these days sport this licence plate font. But only the guys at the shop and I know who brought it to town Here's a pic. All my cars sport licence plate with this font.
Your favourite number-plate font-img_1533.jpg

I love German plate font. It's just that my registration numbers are not those which look best in that font.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 4th November 2016 at 22:58. Reason: Added info.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 02:59   #40
BHPian

I find number plates the cheapest source of customisation, a stylish number plate definitely makes your car stand out. Moreover you could always change or customise it as you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I'm a sucker for the DC font. Believe Dilip Chhabria started using this style on his modded cars and soon enough, every number-plate shop in Bombay adopted it. I first used it on my '96 Esteem, and thereon most of my cars (my '97 Jeep still wears a DC font plate) have had that plate. This is definitely my favourite.

2nd choice is the IND style which I think looks very smart, despite being terribly common.

Never understood the fuss over the German font. It's quite a fad these days and I spot a lot of cars wearing it.

Don't know which style Audi's dealers in Bombay use, but those plates are just wow!
The font sure looks very edgy. I started my obsession with this font after seeing it on a particular Santro atleast 10 years ago, since then I made sure that each and every car that we owned has had the number plate in this font. Even after the arrival of the permanent HSRP plates, all temporary number plates for my cars are still cut in the same font.

German Plates: I guess the obsession started after noticing some particular people who had single digit registrations for their Supercars (Aventador, Continental GT, R8's)and had put the genuine EU plates up. Like writing HR 08R 0009 as "HR8R9" just to mimic the style of the European Plates. Eventually everybody tried their hand at it and there are multiple versions of the same font floating around on different plates some of which are just plain horrid.

IMHO, the font only suits plates which have a lesser number of letters on them (as those look like legit EU plates). For instance, A "DDC 1" would surely look better than a "DL 4CNW 9819" in the Euro/German Font.

Quote:
GTO and me are probably the biggest fans of DC font here. However, I am a loyalist and have DC font on all my cars unlike GTO who feels the DC font doesn't look grown up enough for luxury sedans

The first mandatory "accessory" that goes on any car of mine the day is a neat DC font plate. I think much like everyone else who is a fan of this font, my love for it began as I aspired to own DC modded cars as a kid and while that didn't happen atleast I got something "DC" like. Now that I think back, what on earth was I thinking wanting a DC modded car

However, the DC font has evolved a bit and is a mix between Frankmehta's font and GTO's DC jeep plate. It's gotten a bit fatter and a shorter.
Well Sir, add me to the club. I am a huge fan of the said font so much so that each and every sticker and the keychains for my cars have the same font on them. I have also seen the font being used in various UN documents and other important events/documents.

Quote:
Is the DC font available to download online ? I tried looking it up but couldn't find any proper font that matched it.

The thing with number plates and the number stickers is that any font can be manipulated in its thickness, spacing or length using the software that is used for plotting it on the sticker sheet.

So the IND Font, Speedex Font 1 and Dhaval's Ford Fiesta font are absolutely same but have a 5% print/dye variation and since these are embedded fonts, the shape of the dyes used must be different.

Also the DC font and the Frankmehta's Cruze font are absolutely Same but for added Dots and a 5-10% print variation.
The most important part here is that since I am such a sucker for this font, I somehow Googled it out one fine day.
It's called EUROSTILE.

Name:  220pxEurostileSpec.svg.png
Views: 7188
Size:  22.8 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
My Vento has a genuine German-spec number plate (ordered from Germany) without the blue strip (to accommodate 10 characters as original German plates carry nine characters with the EU seal)

Although the difference is subtle, it does add a lot of character.

Have you ever wondered why the "German font" looks the way it does?

The font is called FE-Schrift (Fälschungserschwerende Schrift) which translates to "forgery-impeding typeface". The characters are designed in such a way that they cannot be easily forged by drawing a line or so on.

E.g., "Zero" looks way different compared to an "O" in this script.

Many countries have adopted this font as the official font including our neighbour Sri Lanka!
Original EU plates definitely add a lot of character, more so on european cars.
The details are definitely noticeable and make original plates stand out.

Last edited by Jag4 : 5th November 2016 at 03:14.
Jag4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 07:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Our Fiesta too sports a similar plate, though I got them made at Kochi. I left the blue strip out as I don't like it and used the thinner font. Looks pretty good.

So, my current favorite is the thin German font without the EU strip and with the black frame.

Your favourite number-plate font-img_20160117_132124412_hdr-1.jpg
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 16:13   #42

Try the BankGothic Font. I think that's the one you guys are looking for. http://www.fontpalace.com/font-downl...nkGothic+Bold/
RogerEphraim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 19:44   #43
BHPian

I voted for DC font.
I used it for all my bikes and cars since 2001. Completely in love with this font. Used a bold version of it on my latest car. Also noticed that the designer selected it as 'Euro Style' in his graphic software.
Your favourite number-plate font-14656402_1328774407134862_6162182877159767598_n.jpg

Lately observed it being used in Swift's speedometer dial as well.
swapnil.awate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 22:32   #44
Senior - BHPian

IMHO the font type also depends on the car so no 'One Font Suits All' formula would work here.

I really like rounded fonts and the one I selected for my T-Jet complimented the car perfectly IMO.

At the same time IND font is also very good.

There are reasonable number of Fonts that seem ok with RTO therefore I request fellow BHPians to follow the rules.
Attached Thumbnails
Your favourite number-plate font-img01158201206281651.jpg  

Old 9th November 2016, 11:15   #45
BHPian

My vote goes for Frankmehta's Chevrolet Cruz Font. I find it uncluttered, inoffensive and very easy to read.
King_pin09 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks