Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2006, 19:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

I would never open the sunroof during the day when it hot and dusty and full of traffic. But on a cool summer night when you are cruising the blvd, its a great feeling to feel the wind and see the starts. Basically, I would use it as a moonroof.
Old 5th November 2006, 20:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

I dunno about this coz I'm not a great sun-roof fan..! Whether the glass can come out of its rubber frame is not known since the sun roof on my friend's was intact and slightly open. The vehicle didn't sport any signs of break-in like smashed glasses etc.

Hence the surmise after finding the sun-roof slightly ajar was that it was slid back using some device and the person enetered from there, did the cleanup, came out the same way and then shut the roof. Now the police (sleuths) deducted that this could have been possible using that device that I mentioned in my earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Is that sun-roof from WEBASTO? Isn't there a roof shutter below the glass? If it's there then that shutter should be having a lock. One needs to break it/smash it to get inside.

You mean to say that glass can come out with it's rubber frame mount? Without creating any damage?
Old 7th November 2006, 03:21   #18
BHPian

The sunroof can be used (ofcourse in suitable weather) if you are cruising on supposedly highway and you don't need to open the windows and deaf'en your ears. Factory fit is the best - nodoubt about it
Old 7th November 2006, 10:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master530i
The sunroof can be used (ofcourse in suitable weather) if you are cruising on supposedly highway and you don't need to open the windows and deaf'en your ears.
Why, sunroof doesn't deafen the years? Does it have some sound filter ?
Old 7th November 2006, 10:28   #20
BHPian

I had a mercury sable V6 with Sun & Moon Roof, its fun

I had this Mercury Sable LS Wagon with both moon roof and sliding sun roof. Trust me its fun in cool weather. Used the moon roof once in a while. I lived in Bay Area during that time, so all my exp is w.r.t that locality.

I really loved it during spring, when the weather is on the pleasant side, turn off Air Con and have fun. Summer nights are also a good candidate.

You dont want Sunroof to be open in city traffic. I am sure you'll love it while driving in the outskirts of the city. I never used it on high way so dont know how it feels.

Short drives in the vicinity after dinner were not bad either.
Old 7th November 2006, 10:42   #21
BHPian

Beware of Paan droplets!

If you drive with sunroof open and also frequent busy roads used by Local Buses like BTS in bangalore , beware of chewed Paan and spit entering your car through sun roof.

Cleaning red paan stains off your beige leather interior can be a very painful experience.
Old 7th November 2006, 11:53   #22
BANNED

Having a sunroof is fun. The usefulness, is not much countable.

And fitting a normal pop up will also give you some fun.

It also comes with some trouble too. We had an Astra club which had webasto sunroof. It started to leak after 3years. And the worst part was that the service of those were not commendable either. There's some other problems like breaking, cracking etc..
Old 7th November 2006, 12:36   #23
Team-BHP Support

My car came with a sunroof. While I dont see any real practical use for this roof, I have found on occasion that the car can cool much faster with the sunroof open esp after a hot day. However the sunroof does make the car look nice esp if it also has headlight washers and other cool looking gizmos.
Old 1st July 2009, 18:25   #24
BHPian

My drive has 2..

Now that is scary guys. They rob the car by breaking the sun roof... Thats why I have my car covered all week and now it has become my week-end drive.
I have found the roofs useful when i get out of the city traffic and when i move on off road drives, and yes when on forest stretch it is just great. Over all its just fun to have the sky open when you are cruising...But the theifs...SCARY.
Attached Thumbnails
Utility of sun roof ???-sunroof.jpg  

Utility of sun roof ???-bandipur.jpg  

Last edited by Sportsmind : 1st July 2009 at 18:26.
Old 1st July 2009, 18:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure how a sun roof will hold in the rains after 2-3 years of regular use. I have also seen people using it as a USP whilst selling off their cars. So thats one more use.
Old 1st July 2009, 18:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

It is the best feature of a car.
Many Delhi Guys would be knowing why i'm saying this. Like Aza, Faithless, Smokin , M4uGr8 etc.
Old 1st July 2009, 19:24   #27
Team-BHP Support

I enjoy my sun roof. In the morning when if the sky is overcast. I keep roof open. I also like the tilt position. Makes car less stuffy when not using the a/c.

It is at its best at night and when driving in hill stations. You get the best of the fresh air
Old 1st July 2009, 19:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
(The sun makes me......and a bit horny)
That makes you Sam Singh? then

Jokes apart i cannot think of any actual specific use of the sunroof. IMHO it mainly adds to the cool quotient of the car. Some of my cars have a sunroof, i dont remember opening any except at hill stations or on overcast cool days. I can imagine it being handy for the smoker but i dont smoke, nor do i allow anyone to smoke in my car, being allergic to cigarette smoke.

I can imagine in western countries where the novelty of the sun prevails and the dust particles are scarce. In a country like ours with most of us having skin that needs no tanning, a sunroof is nothing but an accessory to have, much like spoilt brats, who want to change their cell phone, as it does not have a certain function, which is never going to be used anyways. Driving with the roof open in a humid city like ours is an open invitation to an asthama attack.

In a glass sunroof, during failing light, i often will retract the inside cover, to get a little street light in. It makes me feel secure somehows but the roof remains shut.

Especially when buying a second hand car, the dealer will always make this sound like a premium, necessary option when spelling out the extra options available in the car. "It has a sun roof" he will go. Of course it does not increase the value of the car by even a penny. Its one of those options you pay and forget about.

Inspite of all this, i see most of us at least contemplating, whenever buying a new car, about including the "Paid Option" of a sunroof in their order specs.

No real value addition i see in this.
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:24   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sportsmind : You have two sunroofs in your Swift?

I have a thing for factory-installed sunroofs. Great to use when out at night or when the weather permits. Plus, as Sam mentioned, keeps the cigarette odour out as well.

The reason I don't like after-market sunroofs is they always have some issue or the other. Install quality, water leaks, lousy fitting etc. etc. If I have to get my roof chopped, I'd only have it done on the factory line.
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:45   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sportsmind : You have two sunroofs in your Swift?

I have a thing for factory-installed sunroofs. Great to use when out at night or when the weather permits. Plus, as Sam mentioned, keeps the cigarette odour out as well.

The reason I don't like after-market sunroofs is they always have some issue or the other. Install quality, water leaks, lousy fitting etc. etc. If I have to get my roof chopped, I'd only have it done on the factory line.

Well GTO, as mine is a second hand drive, the dual sunroof came with the drive. It was a maruti accessory installed through a maruti authorised dealer in Mangalore. I have driven in heavy rains in kerala a couple of times, and this far i have not encountered any major leakages.
I was thinking of having one installed on my bonnet hood too...., now whats the take on that..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks