Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:25   #46
BHPian

Well, quite interesting and contradicting thoughts here on sunroofs..

To be honest, I personally don't see any utility for sunroofs at least in north Indian climatic conditions where mercury has a very wide swing.

During summers, with sun beating down the cabin through sunroof, it would mean additional pressure on the AC to keep the cabin cool. Similarly, during winters, one can not afford to keep it open lest you want to freeze.

Yes, concept of sunroof came into picture from West where natives rarely see the sun, and when they do, they go berserk For us, where due to our location on globe, or for additonal love soorya devta has on us, there is no dearth of sunlight - why would one really want a sunroof?

Moonroof (pun inteded) is a different ballgame altogether where on Karva Chauth night, one can pray chandra devta while on the move, a la Optra couple
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:43   #47
lsp
BHPian

I am not an owner of a car with sun roof, but nevertheless, my 2 pence.

Not only sun/heat and cold/chilly winds, at times one would be discouraged to use the sunroof due to smoke, pollution and dust in the environment. Dare to open one, during pleasant weather, on one of congested city roads.

With your car on the winding hill roads and pleasant weather its a different game altogether. I think Kerala should offer many such opportunities.

Go for the sunroof if you think you would be using it. If it was going to be used as a pure city car I wouldnt go for it. But if you plan to make trips to Munnar and similar places, I would strongly recommend having it.
Old 3rd December 2009, 19:38   #48
Senior - BHPian

Guys, the OP is not bothered with the utility of a sunroof. He wants the airbags and that version comes with the sunroof. He merely wants to know if the sunroof will cause problems or not. The usefulness of a sunroof is irrelevant to this discussion.
Old 3rd December 2009, 21:25   #49
BHPian

I don't think it should be a problem. Usually the whether in Kerala is so humid the chances are that you will never open it. On a personal note, I never really understood the purpose of the sunroof.
Old 3rd December 2009, 22:18   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Please dont take salesmen seriously on such issues, they promote whatever they have in stock.

It is on you to decide whether you need the sunroof or not, its strictly personal choice. Though sunroof has a very little practical use in our country.

Last edited by .anshuman : 3rd December 2009 at 22:20.
Old 3rd December 2009, 22:46   #51
BHPian

I use the sunroof every evening and night. It adds a nice touch! Keep the glass area closed and you are good to go!
Old 3rd December 2009, 22:55   #52
Senior - BHPian

No problems and I love it!

To answer the first question: I have a Laura with a sun-roof. It has not leaked one bit in the past two + years I have had it. You can ask that sales lady to take a ride in my car .

Now the gratutious advice: I did not see myself using the sun-roof when I bought the car. Now that it is there - I cannot live without it. It is great fun. It is also useful to vent stale air out of the car on a long drive or to vent hot air after the car has been parked in the sun. It does not affect the A/c. as there is a 'blind' which is an opaque fabric covered sheet that comes out and prevents light/heat coming into the cabin. You can push this 'blind' in on cloudy days to get in that extra light into the cabin or to watch the rain falling onto your head (almost).

Cheers,
Old 4th December 2009, 00:30   #53
Senior - BHPian

well, not that I use it very much, but still a nice feature to have in one's car.
With all the pollution and dust around, its not advisable to drive with the sunroof open in the city - country driving is a different story though.
Are after market sunroofs advisable? I guess most of the leakages heard about are from aftermarket fitmets (just a guess!)
Old 11th December 2009, 14:39   #54
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Personally, I love the sunroof! Use is frequent over the winters, and rest of the year on the night drives back home. Can add some sparkle to those highway drives too.

Of course, its not a "must-have" piece of equipment. But if you get a car with one, believe me you will never regret it.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2009, 14:50   #55
BHPian

I use the sunroof on my vRS quite often and especially during this time of the year. In fact, I enjoy it during the drives in rain as well by sliding the inner roof / blind.

There is no leakage issues on the sunroofs that come fitted from the company. I have heard that the after market sunroofs leak sometimes; but not the ones which come fitted with the sunroof from manufactures.

I am sure you would enjoy the sunroof even in India. Recommendation: Go for it, and you would not regret it.

Cheers.

Last edited by Ardy : 11th December 2009 at 14:54.
Old 11th December 2009, 15:08   #56
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

factory fitted sunroofs ought not to have a problem.
after market fitted ones could sometimes cause trouble.
the only company which has a good reputation in after market sun roof work is Webasto but personally I would hesitate to allow anyone to chop my car about to fit such a thing.
for the most part our Indian climatic conditions are such that one will very rarely open up the sun roof except perhaps in a colder place like maybe a hill station on a nice summer's day.
in the cities the pollution and smoke and smells will quickly cause one to close the sunroof almost as soon as one opens it!
Old 12th December 2009, 13:23   #57
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I agree with Shankar. Factory-fit sunroofs are the way to go. No ways I'm going to let an after-market chop through a body part of my new car. Sunroofs are best installed at the factory level only.
Old 12th December 2009, 13:50   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

i own an i10 AT with a factory fitted sunroof. Trust me, the quality from Hyundai is superb. one touch functions as well. no issues whatsoever. and i do use the sunroof on late night drives and my kiddo cousins love standing out as well.

If you smoke, all the better to dissipate the smell as well.

Personally, i would not touch after market sunroofs from any company, but OEM is no issues.

i20 is an export car, the sunroof will be tested to no end.

Go for it.
Old 13th December 2009, 13:41   #59
Senior - BHPian

I just took delivery of my i20 Asta(o) with Sunroof on 7th December, and man the sunroof is awesome!!

I keep the sunroof blind slid-in(S/R window closed) and it feels as if you are driving a convertible!

+ looking at the early morning skies and sun-light warming me up when I feel chilly = Awesomeness

Its truly amazing!(I think it was just priced ~20k more than the non-sunroof Asta)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks