Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2006, 00:42   #61
BHPian

hi aditya

i'll have to search for the packing of those bulbs and then i'll tell you the rating/wattage of the philips bulbs. give me a day or 2 to find it... the bulbs are blue tinted and the effect on the road while driving is quite nice... have seen similar bulbs from osram on a buddy's zen... those are also good but i feel the tint of my bulbs is better.

p.s.: is the (implicit) similiarity of our signatures coincidental or are we both talking about you know what i mean

Last edited by rev_hard : 3rd February 2006 at 00:45.
Old 3rd February 2006, 00:48   #62
Senior - BHPian

Thanks revv....

guys, i've also heard of the 100/90W GE bulbs... what is the color of the light emitted by these bulbs and how much do they cost for a pair?

as per wolf and quicksilver these are far better than the crystal / diamond / vision plus bulbs from philips....

what do u think i should get myself? i need brightness and spread from the beam and if this is available in white or blue it's an added advantage.... else color is not my top priority.. practical application is....

P.S. didn't quite get you on the signature bit...

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd February 2006 at 00:50.
Old 3rd February 2006, 00:59   #63
BHPian

no clue about the ge bulbs... try and visit a car accessory shop in late evening(thats what i did) and try on the three the pairs i.e. diamond vision, crystal vision and those ge bulbs.... i did it and it helped me decide better and faster... and btw if the dealer says he cant remove the packaging to let you try it.... just show him the 2 mahatma's(500's) and say u need to try before you buy.... it worked for me .

p.s: the reference to the signature was made right after two 60 ml shots of black dog.... didnt quite understand myself.... er..
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
Thanks revv....

guys, i've also heard of the 100/90W GE bulbs... what is the color of the light emitted by these bulbs and how much do they cost for a pair?

as per wolf and quicksilver these are far better than the crystal / diamond / vision plus bulbs from philips....

what do u think i should get myself? i need brightness and spread from the beam and if this is available in white or blue it's an added advantage.... else color is not my top priority.. practical application is....

P.S. didn't quite get you on the signature bit...
Old 3rd February 2006, 10:41   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Aditya try out the philips crystal visions (white light) or the philips diamond visions (blue light) .. these should cost anywhere btwn 1k-1.3k .. Far more reliable than any of the aftermarket bulbs that u get ..

i have found the philips rally 90/100w to better than what mclaren has mentioned...morever the philips crystal visons are 55/60 w and claim to give 50 % more light ...
Quote:
correct me if i am wrong, but i think as far as i know, the mondeo has a pink tinge headlamps and not blue and is by far is the best headlamp on any car in india...
the mondeo has xenons

Last edited by speedsatya : 3rd February 2006 at 10:46.
Old 3rd February 2006, 11:55   #65
BHPian

I had planned to change to 90/100 philips for my swift, but the shop guy was gracious enough to show me various bulbs. Finally advised me GE 100/140 as i was not doing very long trips in the night. He also advised to use WIRING HARNESS from ROOTS as it has seperate holders for high wattage bulbs. I was a bit confused and came home.
After thinking over for a day i went on for his words.

Total expenditure
Bulbs GE 140/100 - Rs.170/- each
Wiring Harness - Rs.425/-.

The wiring harness comes with
1) Heat Resistant Bakelite Bulb Holders,
2) Separate Silicone fuse for each Beam
3) Finolex Automotive Grade Wires within
4) Corrugated Sleeve for extra protection of wires
5) Relay to handle load of high wattage bulbs

The better part of all is that no original wiring is to be altered while using wiring harness.
Old 3rd February 2006, 13:45   #66
BHPian

hey satya..

the mondeo had xenons... to cut costs they dont install them anymore on new models. i read about it in an issue of autocar late last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya

the mondeo has xenons
Old 3rd February 2006, 15:09   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
i have found the philips rally 90/100w to better than what mclaren has mentioned...
hi speedsatya... how much do these bulbs cost? and what color r they? are they long lasting bulbs cos one filament in my 2 month old bulb fused even with a relay in place...

P.S. ksethuram, which shop did u go to in chennai? can u let me know the details so i can go there next week and get my new bulbs? does he stock the philips rally eye 90/100 too? PM me ur cell no if u dont mind so i can call you for details...
Old 3rd February 2006, 15:33   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
hi speedsatya... how much do these bulbs cost? and what color r they? are they long lasting bulbs cos one filament in my 2 month old bulb fused even with a relay in place...

i bought mine in 2001 and am still using the RHS ..the LHS fused recently ...i have been using Lucas relays ..i think i bought them for 175 rs in 2001

they dont have any special color ...
Old 3rd February 2006, 17:05   #69
Team-BHP Support

Hey Aditya, let me tell you something. I have been following this topic for sometime now. In the meantime I have also talked with so many people on this.

My conclusion is unless you drive through dark highways miles after miles (and most new gen highways are pretty well lit nowadays) you really do not need something as high as 100/90w. They require you to go for additional stuff like relays, thicker wires, better holders etc.

The way I understand it, for people who do a mix of city and at times highway driving the surefire way to go is either for the Philips VisionPlus or Osram SilverStar. They are comparable in performance and the Philips one claims 50% more illumination and longer throws than any other bulb of the same wattage. The best thing is that Philips VisionPlus is a 60/55w bulb. So it requires no additional fitments. Its a simple DIY thing. And it costs around rs.550 for a pair.

Just ensure that you go to an authentic philips lighting shop and buy a genuine Philips. Market is full of fakes.
Old 4th February 2006, 00:06   #70
BHPian

I had used 130/100w bulbs with the blue tint, I had cleared the silver coating from the tip of the bulb also (I know it should not be done..but I was just curious how powerfull these would be..just the heck of it). Also I had installed a different harness for the headlights to take care of the extra load.
I had also installed a set of fog lamps for which I had installed a special relay and wiring. The switch for the fog lamps was installed on the dash board on my right.I think these were 100 watts (not halogen)
I think it may sound funny or stupid but the headlights were very powerfull and unsafe for oncoming traffic (also due to opaque coating removed from tip) so I used to operate my fog lamps for normal driving and headlights for open stretches etc
I never had issues..but I also used to take care not to switch on all of them at the same time for extented periods ...
Currently Im back to 90/100w Phillips for headlights after the blue ones got fused.. they seemed to have a pretty short life -something like.. 2 sets of headlight bulbs in 1 year.
Some things I noticed :
1] the bluish tinted high wattage ones have a short life
2] they make it pretty difficult to see in fog or rains as the intense white light reflects back pretty bad
3] have a set of normal stock headlight bulbs with you in case you are experimenting with these crazy high wattage bulbs...
Old 4th February 2006, 23:03   #71
BHPian

Hi guys,
Yesterday i got this bulb for my esteem.....It fitted well on the normal fitting only....It gives white light with a tinge of blue it's a bit brighter then old yellow ones...but i think tht is only bcoz they r white....

The bulb came with blue covering over it......It was written on the cover it 4500K i dont know wht it meant..I still have the box its in car i'll look and later on post more details.....I got them for 300 rs
Old 16th March 2006, 17:20   #72
aZa
Senior - BHPian

4500K is the Color Temperature thats the "blue tinge"
Old 20th March 2006, 13:27   #73
Senior - BHPian

Its 4000k temp for the crystal/diamond vision right ?

(Im not sure if im goin against any forum rules by posting) this outside link to an Indian e-bay store, they stock the Philips products discussed on the thread : http://stores.ebay.in/AUTO-SUPERSTORE
Old 20th March 2006, 13:38   #74
Senior - BHPian

Halonix 90/100W white..
Old 20th March 2006, 16:54   #75
Senior - BHPian

but i would suggest the philips rallye 130/100W.... if some one wants something brighter....

really bright and makes night driving a breeze...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks