Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2004, 22:43   #1
BHPian

Wanna soup up my zen

hey guys im plannin on scopping up my zen to a 1.3 zen or an E-zen as ull would call it so i wanted to know what the cost of doin so would be nd where i could get an esteem or ny other engine and any other details i would need to convince my dad to let me go ahead with wat i want to do to the zen.
Also i want to know if u get ny other more powerful engines tat i culd put in the zen??
Can i get a nice powerfull diesel engine???
Plz Help.
Regards,
Purav
Old 6th October 2004, 01:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Purav nee libre sato

The 1.3 is a direct bolt on the Zen. So any other engine might just be inviting problems. Diesel engines are a no-no. The suspension modifications you need to do to just out a heavy engine on that light body will terrify your CA. Not to mention you while you try to push that car to its limits. Why, even Maruti hasn't been able to make that Peugeot engine a perfect mate for the Zen.

The 1.3 is available only in second hand car markets. Sourcing an MPfi one might be diffiicult, but carbueretted ones are available aplenty. You might get one in Chor Bazaar here in Mumbai, but you need to get the engine checked by an independent authority before you buy one. I am not very sure if you can buy one directly from Maruti, but a try is always possible.

If you want to modify your current Zen engine, i suggest fitting a K&N air-filter, sports exhaust, a esteem cam-head, a performance chip, a slightly bigger throttle body, alloy wheels and tubeless tyres and if possible, racing seats. All this should cost you in the region of 60-75k depending on what you invest on. Performance chips run from the 10k region to upwards of a lakh. Other parts also have price variances. Whatever be your decision, hope you make the right choice.

Revvmaster
Old 6th October 2004, 01:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Agree totally with Revv... if you are looking for more power, pick up the Swift Twin Cam GT engine, its about 100bhp. if you want a more torquey engine go for the 1.6 (G16) will need an adaptor plate and little fabrication. If youre looking for fuel injection, well ull need the complete wiring, ecm etc. Else if going the carb way, pick up a set of R1 carbs for the 1.3, they work amazing, about 30hp gain. Else you could modify the indian esteem carb and use, but it has its limitations.

Cheers
DOm
Old 6th October 2004, 01:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey,
* If you have about 5lakhs (may end up about 8 a few more addons and landing), I can get you a full race Blown Suzuki G13B Twin cam engine, just plug and play(pray) it has everything, trust me everything!! 475BHP!!....

Engine Specs:
1.3L Twin Cam 16V/1.6 turbo drag engine (aluminum Flywheel, High comp engine, lighten and balance rotating assemblies, high profile Cams, adj. Pulleys, MSD ignition, GT28 turbo, cast iron exhaust manifold, intercooler, complete piping, blow off valve, deltagate, Haltech E6X, turbo timer, gauges boost/oil press/air fuel, oversized injectors, upgraded fuel pump, fuel rail, adjustable fuel press) etc etc.

Cheers
Dom

Old 6th October 2004, 02:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

I felt like copying the mods from the White Supra post and pasting it here
That was also Courtesy : Domnic
Old 6th October 2004, 14:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Domnic @ Oct. 06 2004,00:08)]Hey,
* If you have about 5lakhs (may end up about 8 a few more addons and landing), I can get you a full race Blown Suzuki G13B Twin cam engine, just plug and play(pray) it has everything, trust me everything!! 475BHP!!....

Engine Specs:
1.3L Twin Cam 16V/1.6 turbo drag engine (aluminum Flywheel, High comp engine, lighten and balance rotating assemblies, high profile Cams, adj. Pulleys, MSD ignition, GT28 turbo, cast iron exhaust manifold, intercooler, complete piping, blow off valve, deltagate, Haltech E6X, turbo timer, gauges boost/oil press/air fuel, oversized injectors, upgraded fuel pump, fuel rail, adjustable fuel press) etc etc.

Cheers
Dom
hey dom,
is this a straight fit on the zen??
and wat wud be the top speed.
[img]http://www.team-bhp.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/***.gif[/img]
Old 6th October 2004, 18:17   #7
BHPian

hey man u cant have 475bhp in a zen
it'll twist & take off if you hit a spedbreaker
plus u'll need to upgrade everything from brakes, to suspension & stiffen ur chassis, rollcage etc othwerwise u'll get squished like a cockroach man!!

maybe being more realistic would help, do u even want to spend 8 lacs in ur zen wouldnt u wanna buy a sports car or something

for real world use i would suggest an esteem engine upgrade
BUT
remember that the carb'd version makes 65bhp compared to the mpfi 85bhp
whereas your mpfi zen makes 55bhp, so is it really worth it for just 10bhp, which u can easily get with excellent headers, freeflow,filter, plugs & ingnition..

but also do remember
twincam 1.3swift GT engine puts out easily over 100bhp..tunable easily to 130bhp & will use stock clutch,gearbox,flywheel etc...infact better in a zen since it will have a shorter gearing
a lot of ppl in banglore can do the convert but dont expect snything to be cheap & to be done in a short time

but hellyeah 100bhp zen would be a killer!!
imagine eating citys & lancers haha they wouldnt know what hit them!!
Old 6th October 2004, 18:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Domnic, GodSpeed

What would be the approx cost of a brand new 1.3 swift GT engine , while all landing , labor , chassis , etc , tuning to 125+ hp and al other mods reqd like exhaust, headers, filters. for the Zen

Also the 475 hp engine sounds preety cheap to me , if it covers everything within 8 laks

One can simply buy a second hand car which can handle the power for 2 laks, spent another 2 laks on restoring ( and alloys, skirts, spoiler and stuff)it as per rquirements and 8 laks for engine and another 3 laks miscelleneous.

Still U have a brand new engined car within 15 laks , aint it worth it ??
Old 6th October 2004, 19:55   #9
BHPian

hey libre sito,
one of my friends in mumbai has a twin cam swift gti engine with him for sale. if u are interested, drop me a pm, so i can give you his contact details.
All the best with your car.
Old 6th October 2004, 21:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Yea dude, structural integrity is pretty important with this mod, and yes i have a friend(California) who has done this and is pretty happy and not having any trouble. Frankly speaking 100bhp now isnt much if you want a fast street car. about 100 at wheel then its pretty good for the moment. We are working on Zens to pull up about 200bhp at the moment. Due to the competition.
Hey dude, salil's friend has a good engine with him. Pick it up, he also has Twin DCOE carbs, good for about +25hp with proper tuning. Also the extractors, flywheel, pulley should add about 15 or so more. So you get your 130bhp figure. This should cost about 1 to 1.2 lakh including installation. BUT REMEMBER with this mod you directly go into the foreign classes in the drag events etc.

Cheers
Dom
Old 6th October 2004, 21:38   #11
BHPian

hey domnic
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] Agree totally with Revv... if you are looking for more power, pick up the Swift Twin Cam GT engine, its about 100bhp. if you want a more torquey engine go for the 1.6 (G16) will need an adaptor plate and little fabrication. If youre looking for fuel injection, well ull need the complete wiring, ecm etc. Else if going the carb way, pick up a set of R1 carbs for the 1.3, they work amazing, about 30hp gain. Else you could modify the indian esteem carb and use, but it has its limitations.
let me tell u taht what ever u have mentioned above seems all latin and greek to me so if u could possibly explain it to me in lay man terms it would be really help full.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]If you have about 5lakhs (may end up about 8 a few more addons and landing), I can get you a full race Blown Suzuki G13B Twin cam engine, just plug and play(pray) it has everything, trust me everything!! 475BHP!!....

Engine Specs:
Im sure dominic tat my dads no allowing me to spend 5 lakhs on my zen comon its bloddy 8 years old but i still love it cause of its bloddy peppiness iv won quiet a few street races in this car!!!
Hey also tell me approximate costis of converting to a 100hp car!!Id love to kick some butt in tat car itll be worth lookin at the faces of vtec owners !!

Hey godspeed totally agree wid u on tat abt being squashed like a cockroach well i think a slite mistake in tat kind of a car nd my car will be in a worse condition than the condition of the ikon tat was a total loss at worli seaface
Old 6th October 2004, 21:47   #12
BHPian

Hey domnic isnt there any way in which i can get these kind of bhp figures out of some other engine or any other sort of mods that will be done on the esteem engine???
I dont want to drag but just in da future if i wish to i dont want to enter in da international category tat 2 wid my zen!! No No i don want to see those days!!! I dont want my desi gadi to be bagged as a videshi gaddi!!!
Old 6th October 2004, 21:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
* The reason i mentioned the 475bhp engine is that the possibilities are endless!. Like pre 1993 Formula cars, 1.5 litre engines turbocharged and an output of 1500 bhp!! , there simply isnt a term 'enough' in racing , i never suggested you to go for that engine, just for info sake

* And dude what i meant was, the swift engine is yes a direct fit into a zen, you can just remove the old one and replace it with the GTi. But i would suggest a few things, Try and modify the front engine mount, get it mounted like in the esteems a side hung mount on the right side. So you get enough place for the headers. Also carburetors are your best bet. Pick up a set of Weber 40mm carbs (the DCOE can be used but will have to do a little modification to the firewall in the car, try and get the downdraft ones) About 35k new.

The stock engine is a 100bhp engine, but im not sure it will give that output without proper tuning and a intake design. Proper runner lengths should be considered. If you are going ahead with this i can send you design schematics which will help you. The Carb and the motor should give out about 115hp. The extractors (headers) should add another 6 - 7 hp. 2.25" exhaust system with a free flow muffler about 3 hp.

Cheers
Dom
Old 6th October 2004, 22:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I dont want to drag but just in da future if i wish to i dont want to enter in da international category
No probs, for this just pick up an esteem bottom half (try and get the older 1995 engine) about 5k. Have a complete bottom overhaul done. Also get the 16v pistons installed. You will also need a 16 valve head for this to work. You can also polish and port the head, also skim the head a bit to raise the compression, and skimming it will also advance cam timing which will punch a few horsepower figures up. Headers, and you could go for the webers here too. This should pull more than 110bhp, maybe more . With this setup you will enter the zen esteem category (indian cars ), also about 30k more and add a 25hp shot N2O too

Cheers
Dom
Old 7th October 2004, 00:50   #15
BHPian

hey domnic wat will *be the overall costing for ur last idea and could you help me out with some more details as to where i can get all the stuff needed nd a good guy wholl do da job well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks