Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2006, 14:22   #1
BHPian

GPS Solutions Demystified

Hi Guys,

I have accumulated lot of expertise in GPS solutions over development of applications for vehicle tracking and social networking. So feel free to catch me on this thread for any of your queries

Let me give you an initial idea on the various solutions that are out there in the market for car users.

1) Pocket PC/Windows Mobile Based Solutions
These solutions appeal to Pocket PC/Windows Mobile users, they can buy the software, which is developed for Pocket PC host OS and then buy maps and navigate themselves on these maps. The disadvantage here is the number of users having these phones are limited.

2) Any mobile phone based solution
These solutions appeal to reasonably powerful mobile phone users. Mobile phones that have Bluetooth can be interfaced to Bluetooth GPS which is available for <5000 bucks using interfacing software like GPSWatch. Since these devices are Internet enabled, they can pull maps from servers or its possible to have maps downloaded on to the memory card.
eg: Bluetooth enabled phone + BT GPS + GPSWatch

3) GPS Enable Mobile phone based solution
With GPS enabled phones slowly entering the market, car navigation will become very easy. Some phone like Nokia come with inbuilt software for utilizing the onboard GPS, some like Siemens SXG75 have crappy software, on the whole you can go for third party apps like GPSWatch to get a decent experience. Again since these devices are internet enabled, they can pull maps from servers or its possible to have maps downloaded on to the memory card. eg: Nokia N91, Siemens SXG75

4) Dedicated Handheld Solutions
These are the traditional GPS units slowly getting obsolete. The disadvantage here is that the map data for these units are in proprietary format and are not available in a vast scale for areas like Indian towns. eg: Garmin

5) Dedicated In Dash Solutions
These are slowly catching up in India but quite popular in the US. These have a big display and are backed up by Windows Mobile or proprietary OS but are extremely pricey and the providers charge a lot of money for the maps too. eg:Garmin, Tomtom, Magellan

On the whole (3) & (2) are catching up fast over the rest in countries like US and in Europe whereas in India people are just exposed to basic solutions like (5).

Any of these devices use SiRF, Atmel, Sony or Nemerix chipsets. They support upto 20 satellites and are mostly for outdoor/car use. There are new solutions from Fujitsu, which can even work, indoor by supporting 32 satellites. Most of the chipsets support Altitude watching too.

Where is the market heading to...

In a year or two you will have all phones GPS enabled and they are going to flood the market. A suite of Location based services will follow them like Social networking, Parental Monitoring, Public transport tracking to common people, etc. Infact Motorola has low cost GPS enabled phones in their cards which is sold only in Europe they will soon dump these in India too.

Feel free to share your thoughts...

Vishnu
vishnugs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2006, 15:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

What format are GPSwatch maps in. you mentioned Garmin/Magellan etc., giving maps in proprietary format, which is true. But in case of applications like GPSwatch etc., are the maps in generic .gpx format? If thats the case there are tools available to convert such maps to Lowrance/Magellan/Garmin etc,. formats.
As for dedicated dash solutions, in the US with maps these systems cost around 300$ and give voice commands etc.,
I think its a matter of time that GPS gets popular enough in India that the prices of maps will drop.
Old 15th December 2006, 21:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

What you mean to say is that the 40K that I invested last year in a Garmin iQue3200 is a total waste? Don't do that. It will hurt me a lot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnugs View Post
Hi Guys,

I have accumulated lot of expertise in GPS solutions over development of applications for vehicle tracking and social networking. So feel free to catch me on this thread for any of your queries

Vishnu
Old 16th December 2006, 14:44   #4
BHPian

Thats right, in dash dedicated GPS receivers will come down in price. GPSWatch GPX files are user created files using maps that are available in public domain like Google Earth or VE. I dont think there is a way to convert such maps to Magellan/Garmin.

Vishnu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
What format are GPSwatch maps in. you mentioned Garmin/Magellan etc., giving maps in proprietary format, which is true. But in case of applications like GPSwatch etc., are the maps in generic .gpx format? If thats the case there are tools available to convert such maps to Lowrance/Magellan/Garmin etc,. formats.
As for dedicated dash solutions, in the US with maps these systems cost around 300$ and give voice commands etc.,
I think its a matter of time that GPS gets popular enough in India that the prices of maps will drop.
Old 16th December 2006, 14:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
What you mean to say is that the 40K that I invested last year in a Garmin iQue3200 is a total waste? Don't do that. It will hurt me a lot...

Oops I dint mean it. Its definitely a nice thing to have for enthusiasts. I just told you the shift in focus that GPS market is undergoing, it more towards Location Enabled Services for devices which have internet connectivity. This will open up really new avenues like a few that I taked about.
Old 17th December 2006, 14:52   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thats right, in dash dedicated GPS receivers will come down in price. GPSWatch GPX files are user created files using maps that are available in public domain like Google Earth or VE. I dont think there is a way to convert such maps to Magellan/Garmin.

Vishnu
Well I am converting them already to Lowrance format, and the software I have(free software) can convert gpx files to any format.
So the software you developed has maps in gpx format?
Old 19th December 2006, 13:43   #7

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Hi Guys,

1) Pocket PC/Windows Mobile Based Solutions
These solutions appeal to Pocket PC/Windows Mobile users, they can buy the software, which is developed for Pocket PC host OS and then buy maps and navigate themselves on these maps. The disadvantage here is the number of users having these phones are limited.

Vishnu
so are gps solutions available for these in india.since i have a pocket pc,this would work for me.where can i get maps.what are the charges like??
Old 22nd December 2006, 17:54   #8
BHPian

Has anyone tried this? I am curious as to how it works....
Mobile GMaps - Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps and Windows Live Local on your mobile phone!
Old 29th December 2006, 07:59   #9

can someone tell the cheapest Garmin GPS that i can find in the market. also the location where i can expect to buy the same.
Old 29th December 2006, 12:59   #10
BHPian

Gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
Has anyone tried this? I am curious as to how it works....
Mobile GMaps - Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps and Windows Live Local on your mobile phone!

MG Maps would work on your phone, but they will not have road maps for India. But still Google Earth satellite images will work. Take a look at GPSWatch GPSWatch | iNTERCHAIN Solutions, the difference is this will work for Indian roads using Virtual Earth India maps. The other difference is MGMaps will continously use GPRS whereas GPSWatch can work on PC downloaded maps.
Old 29th December 2006, 16:53   #11
BHPian

Problem is that GPSWatch does not seem to have a version for the New Symbian S60 3rd Edition that is used in the Nokia E61 that I have.

I am also not able to install this application even after installing the certificate on my Nokia E61.
Old 30th December 2006, 12:57   #12

Hi Guys!
Let me add/ask my 50Paise worth.
USA has taken off the SA code for commercial GPS signalsb(a few years back) so accuracy is far much better around 20-30mtrs. But countries like USA have WAAS which brings up the accuracy to within a few meters. I dont know about India?
I saw someone selling Mumbai ROAD maps for GPS applications on eBay. Anyone using it pls share your findings . My guess without road maps GPS are useless?
And i would always suggest to buy a gps with a USB interface it is much more fun to hook up to your PC and load info. It is always better to research into the manufacturers website.
Old 30th December 2006, 13:40   #13
Team-BHP Support

Hi there, I get WAAS on my Lowrance GPS when in relatively open areas in Delhi.
Most GPS systems have a NMEA connection port. NMEA is a standard port which enables GPS systems to be hooked to any NMEA enabled host system.
So any GPS which has NMEA port is good.
As for road maps, I used GPS without road maps, and after creating my own trails it works pretty well for me.
Old 28th February 2007, 11:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
MG Maps would work on your phone, but they will not have road maps for India. But still Google Earth satellite images will work. Take a look at GPSWatch GPSWatch | iNTERCHAIN Solutions, the difference is this will work for Indian roads using Virtual Earth India maps. The other difference is MGMaps will continously use GPRS whereas GPSWatch can work on PC downloaded maps.
Google maps now covers street level maps of several Indian cities now and they are the best online maps I have seen to date for the same. (Wonder what will happen to guys like mapsofindia.com) I use it when I need to navigate in parts of the city that I am not very familiar with.

Nokia has release a GPS software for the Symbian OS called Smart2Go. I have installed it and it is very neat. However, it covers only Mumbai in India at the moment.
Check out a review of the same.
E-Series » Blog Archive » Smart2Go Beta For Nokia Eseries
Old 6th October 2007, 18:08   #15
BHPian

MGMAPS is updated

I just downloaded MGMAPS and it has a new "yahoo India map" option. Pretty cool!!!

Last edited by kvish : 6th October 2007 at 18:21.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks