Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2018, 16:32   #31
BHPian

Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

For H4 replacement LEDs, there seem to be two types. One is the multi sided type, that keeps it simple with either 2, 3 or 4 sides in a unit. One side acts as a low beam by illuminating only the top part of the reflector, while the other side illuminates the top part of the reflector to create the high beam.

For H4, the high beam suffers in most LED bulbs, as the placement of the light source has to match the original to get a good beam, as the high beam is produced by the rearmost part of the reflector, and relies on correct placement to create an accurate beam. The multi sided bulbs just throw more light all over the reflector and hopes enough of it will hit the spot to create a good beam. The result, IMO, is like having a flood light on. There is a lot of light near you, but the falloff is poor and you need a really bright bulb to get a good high beam.

This is where the new 4 sided LED bulbscome in. They claim it's an improvement over the older 3 sided versions. They come with a separate LED driver unit, which means the heating shouldn't affect the LED drivers. They are said to be 100W per set, (50W per bulb). For H4, it should be 25W in low beam and 50W in high beam, which is quite high for LED. Typically, LEDs are 50W per set, or 72W per set.

If someone has installed these new types of bulbs in their cars, please provide some info regarding their performance. I have ordered a pair, but the order got delayed and then got canceled as the package got damaged and they were out of stock.

Here's a link on AliExpress where you can buy them, or get more info

Here's a different seller, OSLAMP

These ones from HLXG are CANBUS compliant

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-0.jpg

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-1.jpg

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-2.jpg

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-3.jpg
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 16:31   #32
BHPian

I have a long pending question for the experts in this regard.

Will not installing LEDs in reflectors (which are not originally designed for LEDs) cause more scattering for oncoming traffic? I know LEDs are the choice of technology for projector low beam headlamps but my question is specifically for old reflectors which traditionally scatter more light laterally. Blinding other cars is no better than not being able to see yourself.

This thought has for long prevented me from going for an upgrade.

Last edited by feluda86 : 16th August 2018 at 16:35. Reason: Added more content
feluda86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 08:54   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post

Will not installing LEDs in reflectors (which are not originally designed for LEDs) cause more scattering for oncoming traffic? I know LEDs are the choice of technology for projector low beam headlamps but my question is specifically for old reflectors which traditionally scatter more light laterally. Blinding other cars is no better than not being able to see yourself.

No this is not true. LED's are not designed for projectors. They are actually designed to be as close to halogen bulbs as possible. You need to pick the right bulb carefully else you will be stuck with scatter. Have a look at my thread on how I selected a LED bulb.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...s-upgrade.html (DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade)

You should try to see a LED bulb that closely matches the light source of the halogen.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 10:38   #34
BHPian

Hello Experts,

I too have a long pending question on LED installations, which I have seen on various threads here.
I see that most of the LEDs installed are 6000K or above (mostly white light). Which from the auto lighting thread can be assumed to be useless or less effective during rains & on coming traffic. Or to be safe, I haven't found them to be useful in rains when I tried on my cars.
Question is
Has anyone tried the 4300K LED's, which are more yellow in color & close to the normal halogens?
Or
Members who have done the installation of 6000K & above, are your lights sufficient enough to drive around in rain/fog(if present)?

Setup for me would be H4 on Safari & Esteem.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 17th August 2018 at 10:42.
saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 10:46   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Hello Experts,

I too have a long pending question on LED installations, which I have seen on various threads here.
I see that most of the LEDs installed are 6000K or above (mostly white light). Which from the auto lighting thread can be assumed to be useless or less effective during rains & on coming traffic. Or to be safe, I haven't found them to be useful in rains when I tried on my cars.
Question is Has anyone tried the 4300K LED's, which are more yellow in color & close to the normal halogens?

Setup for me would be H4 for Safari & Esteem.
Yup. 4300K would be much better than the 6000K's you get. However 4300K LED's are difficult to come by and not from as renowned brands.

Also I am not completely sure but from what I remember, the 4300K bulbs were basically the same as 6000K LEd but with a yellow film over it. Avoid those as they cut light.

If you can find proper 4300K LED's those might be worth a shot. Safari and Esteem both are H4 type bulbs.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 12:03   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
No this is not true. LED's are not designed for projectors. They are actually designed to be as close to halogen bulbs as possible. You need to pick the right bulb carefully else you will be stuck with scatter. Have a look at my thread on how I selected a LED bulb.
Thanks a lot @Vid and @supertinu for the super informative threads on the lighting upgrades.

Been following these and frankly, the upgrade bug has bitten me too! My queries are wrt to a possible upgrade on the Safari Storme:

1. Storme uses H7s for both projector (low beam) and reflector (high). I thought I could mimick a similar setup as supertinu's, at least on the projector to begin with, but confused since we're also saying LEDs are not designed for use in projectors!? Since this would be a DIY, want to start with a simple plug-play setup, rather than go for an all-out HID setup.

2. Aside from that, is it preferable to replace both low and high with LEDs in one go, or can they co-exist!? I mean to ask from a lighting quality standpoint, will a halogen+LED combo result in more scatter?

3. Is there any decently reliable 4300k LED H7 bulb currently available on from the brands you've used!?

Apologies if the questions are repeated or noob!
Old 17th August 2018, 15:53   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Thanks a lot @Vid and @supertinu for the super informative threads on the lighting upgrades.

Been following these and frankly, the upgrade bug has bitten me too! My queries are wrt to a possible upgrade on the Safari Storme:

1. Storme uses H7s for both projector (low beam) and reflector (high). I thought I could mimick a similar setup as supertinu's, at least on the projector to begin with, but confused since we're also saying LEDs are not designed for use in projectors!? Since this would be a DIY, want to start with a simple plug-play setup, rather than go for an all-out HID setup.

2. Aside from that, is it preferable to replace both low and high with LEDs in one go, or can they co-exist!? I mean to ask from a lighting quality standpoint, will a halogen+LED combo result in more scatter?

3. Is there any decently reliable 4300k LED H7 bulb currently available on from the brands you've used!?

Since the storme uses both H7, you have the best choice to get just one pair and try in both low and high beam then order another pair based on the results.

You can safely run LED+halogen as both are in diff housing elements. There's no scatter. For example my corolla has HID low beam but halogen high beam. Same for many cars.

Unfortunately 4300K LED's are difficult to come by. My suggestion would be to for LEd low beams and then keep the halogen high beams.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 17:19   #38
BHPian

Hi, can someone guide me on upgrading the lights on renault duster. Im planning to get a good LED from aliexpress and use it. I am getting a ton of options to choose from and I am confused on this.

Any lead would be helpful.
Old 17th August 2018, 19:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

I am using a Nissan Terrano currently. The low beams have Osram 55W H7 which are actually adequate. I guess that this is due to the fact that Nissan doesn't use a shield, but the reflectors themselves create a clean cutoff, and so entire bulb output is utilized.
The High beam is absolutely inadequate, Osram 60W H1 bulbs are too less, and the lamp just doesn't handle the heat generated by a 100W bulb. The bulb pop's out of the spring type holder.
I'm planning on 4300K LED's and have short listed https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...ceBeautifyAB=0 these.
If any one has experience with this company please post, other 4300k and 3000k LED's are actually 5000k ones with a filter.

Rahul
Old 17th August 2018, 21:02   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
I'm planning on 4300K LED's and have short listed https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...ceBeautifyAB=0 these.
If any one has experience with this company please post, other 4300k and 3000k LED's are actually 5000k ones with a filter.

Rahul
I had a bad experience with the CREE XHP50 2x2 dome type LED H4 bulb. The light source was spread out vs the straight filament in halogen and as a result the scatter was way too much in the reflector.

You will that these 2x2 dome LED's are now not popular and replaced by CSP chip LED's.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 01:53   #41
BHPian

Quote:

This is an issue which has prevented a lot of enthusiasts from migrating to LED lighting. Ideally, a projector or reflector is designed for a specific kind of light source. HID projectors are designed for a very short, almost point light source while halogen projectors and reflectors are designed for a relatively long (compared to HID), short linear light source (filament).

The latest ZES LED chips (also called Luxeon, or CSP, or flip chip) have managed to concentrate the light to such an extent that mimicking a conventional filament lamp is possible. As usual, take Chinese sellers' claims with a cup of salt. Assume all talk of Lumens and Watts to be inflated 2x.

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-htb1_gq0ciuybunksmryq6aa3pxay.jpg

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-htb1eqifprsybunjsspiq6xnzpxaf.jpg

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-htb17aocqxxxxxayxpxxq6xxfxxxx.jpg

This is especially important if your car has an H4 dual beam headlamp, as the filament position makes or breaks the high beam, and the 'cup' above the low beam filament creates the cutoff line.

I have used H4 LED bulbs and it is my experience that reflector design plays a big role. Simply put, if your headlamps improved vastly after upgrading to a 100/90W setup or a set of Xtremevision or Nightbreaker bulbs, then you can expect a similar or more improvement when upgrading to LED. If your headlights were crappy to begin with, like an Ecosport (2013-2017) or the 1st gen Figo, then you're better off looking at adding auxiliary lights.

If you're upgrading an H4 bulb, and you care about good beam pattern and usable beams, look at the filament mimicking kind of bulbs like those above, and from reputed sellers with good rating and history. Fortunately, most sites have feedback option, and the Russian buyers there don't mince their words.

I have had good results with these type of H4 bulbs. The low beam in particular is excellent.

For Fog lamps, you can use even the older type of LED bulbs, as they are flood lights that generally only provide fill lighting at the lower end of your line of sight.

For the record, I have ordered both kinds of lamps from AliExpress so that I can compare and post my results. I will put up detailed pics with comparisons to stock 60/55W halogen, and 130/90W halogen H4.

Here is a link to 4300K LED bulbs from a relatively good seller (HLXG). But I wouldn't recommend the design except for fog lamps, as I have them in my fog lamps. They also might work in dual beam headlights that have separate reflectors for high and low beam.

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-hlxg2pcs4300k12vh4ledcarheadlights72w8000lmseth7h11h1ledauto.jpg

Please read the reviews with pictures. The color looks like that of halogen.
vivekgk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 01:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

Most of the queries have already been answered by Vid, will add my 2 cents to it

Quote:

Reflectors work equally well with LEDs but throw may not be as uniform as halogen. Also the low beams will not blind with good quality LEDs. High beam however is a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Hello Experts,

Has anyone tried the 4300K LED's, which are more yellow in color & close to the normal halogens?
Or
Members who have done the installation of 6000K & above, are your lights sufficient enough to drive around in rain/fog(if present)?

Setup for me would be H4 on Safari & Esteem.
I havnt driven in fog with LEDs but rain has not been an issue. I do understand the physics of white light scattering more but atleast in rain I think white light is equally good or bad as halogens. The droplets do dazzle tad bit more but nothing that cant be handled. I havn't come across good 4300K LEDs. Most are just regular white ones with a sleeve or tape. Look at the pics below of the glass sleeve i got with mictuning and another fogs that I bought. Color is too amber and not close to halogen in my view

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20171201_215228_2.jpg
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20171201_215255_2.jpg
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20180822_221937.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmenon View Post
Hi, can someone guide me on upgrading the lights on renault duster. Im planning to get a good LED from aliexpress and use it. I am getting a ton of options to choose from and I am confused on this.

Any lead would be helpful.
Just read through my original post, your questions should get answered

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post

Storme setup is very similar to XUV. Start with low beams and then expand to fogs. Even I have kept halogen high beams for now since they go much further. No issue coexisting other than different colors. I am thinking of experimenting with LED in high beam also since I have a pair of extra H7 at home.

I dont think you will come across good enough 4300 LEDs. Do share if you find a good pair.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 09:30   #43
BHPian

Hey supertinu, thanks for the super informative thread.
I had some doubts regarding the LED you have installed for fog lamps.
I am planning to go for this product from AliExpress.
http://s.aliexpress.com/y2u2AFr2?fromSns
I have an Ertiga and one of the halogen fog lamps has given up. I am planning on upgrading to LED, my question to you is, will COB, BLOB and CSP type have any difference for fog lamp assembly or it is just applicable to headlights.
The Ertiga has the simple round fog lamp assembly, so will the cutout be clean or just flooded type?
Also there is ample of place behind the fog lamp assembly in the Ertiga so should I opt for a fan type or heat sink type LED.
Old 27th August 2018, 10:19   #44
BHPian

I think COB type would be more suited to fog-lamps as they would be more like flood type throw compared to csp which will have more of a cutout. I am currently using Phillips in my fog-lamps and they are the csp type which give a clear cutout line. I would have preferred flood type to be honest for fogs and clear cutout for headlamps.
scorpian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 12:04   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post

I dont think you will come across good enough 4300 LEDs. Do share if you find a good pair.

I'm planning to use this product from Amazon, it has both 6000k and 3000K color temperature and you can switch between them. A couple of guys who I know are using it and it looks and works great.

https://www.amazon.com/oEdRo-Headlig...edro+led+3000K

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks