Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2018, 00:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Yes, fan is open to engine bay and is exposed to dust. I can see there is some dust accumulated but its been going good so far. Hopefully it stays that way.
MIsplaced my comment earlier with Vid in place of you

Also periodically you can use compressed air to clean the fans, that should give them longer life since they are exposed.
Old 25th July 2018, 11:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
MIsplaced my comment earlier with Vid in place of you

Also periodically you can use compressed air to clean the fans, that should give them longer life since they are exposed.

Actually there doesnt seem to be any need for this.

Dust accumulated is only the outside body, the places where it matters most, those small vents are clear of any dust. I guess the fans are not allowing any dust to accumulate, so guess this is maintenance free.
deepaktpatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 12:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Ravi, i am not sure i understood your question. The LED lights dont protrude out, so the back rubber cap fitted with ease. I kept the power supply also inside.
Sorry Tinu, What I meant to ask was that there are 2 configuration for H4 that I have seen. One in which the wiring is contained within the headlight unit, with a composite wire connection at the bottom.
The older configuration is where the H4 wiring is separate from the indicators and the plug is outside the headlight. The wiring is made water proof with a rubber gromet, which encases the back of the bulb. When you have the entire bulb with power supply inside the assembly, the gromet leaves a space for water ingress.
My question was with regard to that gromet, since I thought the shape of the gromet in the XUV was similar to that.
Old 25th July 2018, 14:22   #19
BHPian

Really nice thread Supertinu. It actually got me enough courage to experiment and change my car's setup. I had no clue about LED lights and I didn't realise it would have so many technicalities to it.

Could you help me by telling me how to identify the size setup for my car (New Verna)?
Old 25th July 2018, 17:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Parwan View Post
Sorry Tinu, What I meant to ask was that there are 2 configuration for H4 that I have seen. One in which the wiring is contained within the headlight unit, with a composite wire connection at the bottom.
The older configuration is where the H4 wiring is separate from the indicators and the plug is outside the headlight. The wiring is made water proof with a rubber gromet, which encases the back of the bulb. When you have the entire bulb with power supply inside the assembly, the gromet leaves a space for water ingress.
My question was with regard to that gromet, since I thought the shape of the gromet in the XUV was similar to that.
Ravi, got your questions now. Both my Figo and XUV has a composite single connection on the outside and all the wiring for low/high/indicators is internal to the headlight assembly. H4 was fitted in Figo and H7 in XUV the same way. With no wire coming out, and dust cap placed there is no chance of any water ingress.

In case of XUV fogs which are H8, the back of bulb is exposed as the bulb assembly seals the reflector from dust with a rubber seal unlike headlight assembly. In that case also its an easy replacement as the Auxbeam Foglights have same design and rubber seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish2135 View Post
Really nice thread Supertinu. It actually got me enough courage to experiment and change my car's setup. I had no clue about LED lights and I didn't realise it would have so many technicalities to it.
Could you help me by telling me how to identify the size setup for my car (New Verna)?
Ashish, best place to get this information is your car's user manual. It will have the bulb type details for all the lights in the car. If you have the latest gen verna which has a single projector for hi/lo then most likely it will be a H4 type but do confirm.
Old 27th July 2018, 01:25   #21
BHPian

Quote:

Hope this helps you guys in deciding whether you want to try your hand on it.

Have been using LED bulbs in my duster awd since 2016 , have to say with every passing week things are getting technically better. Started off with copper fin based led bulbs to non fan based. Just like your vehicles duster also has dust caps and I was reluctant to use a fan based led. Dusters headlights remain on from 530pm to 630am on few days and thus I needed more lumens at less operating temperature. And I was not very sure with the same warm air circulating inside for 12+ hours. Moreover the fan was sitting very close the dust cap and didn't have enough space to operate. ( I see something similar in your case too)

Have switched to Auxbeams , non fan based. (H1, h7, h11 , t20 )
The cutoff is much sharper
Beam pattern is much better
The spread and spots are just at the right places.
Even the kelvin values are more road suitable
The auxbeam leds are very responsive and reaction time is very less , flashing high beams in daylight makes it look like a camera flash, grabs attention easily.
Crossing villages post sunset people / cattles notice white lights more easily and become more attentive.

Have been using Leds for a very long time and really love the newer ones with a straight beam pattern with lumen density towards the upper parts. There is a prevalent misconception that while light is not good in foggy conditions, this is not true and I have felt leds to perform better in extreme foggy conditions. (Videos below) .

Old post - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4094661

Off-road ing with LED

Rain+fog+badroad at Sikkim, led doing its job

Ooty, h1,h7,h11 + rigid industries hyper spot ...

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-2-night-forest.jpg

Thanks for sharing such detailed information, leds are the future .

Mod Note : It is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here to view our pictorial help article on uploading pics.

Please submit images ONLY via the Team-BHP Attachment System.

Last edited by moralfibre : 27th July 2018 at 02:54.
ARAY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 11:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
Have switched to Auxbeams , non fan based. (H1, h7, h11 , t20 )
Would appreciate if you can share the link. I did a auxbeam search on Amazon and I am seeing only fan based bulbs. My i10 has dust cap too and the rear of the headlight assembly is in a very confined space. So fan-less LEDs would be better for me too.
Old 27th July 2018, 12:15   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Would appreciate if you can share the link. I did a auxbeam search on Amazon and I am seeing only fan based bulbs. My i10 has dust cap too and the rear of the headlight assembly is in a very confined space. So fan-less LEDs would be better for me too.

Auxbeam LED Headlight Bulbs NF-S1 Series LED Headlights with 2 Pcs of H7 PHILIPS CSP LED Headlight Conversion Kit 50W 8000lm Single Beam - https://www.amazon.in/dp/B074GZBPRW/..._z8RwBb23DAFF4

Do note this one is H7 , fits Duster, you would need to find for i10.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 12:08   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Ashish, best place to get this information is your car's user manual. It will have the bulb type details for all the lights in the car. If you have the latest gen verna which has a single projector for hi/lo then most likely it will be a H4 type but do confirm.
Thanks Supertinu, I have confirmed from the owner's manual that it is H4 fitting. If you could tell me which brand and what type of LED to go for.
I have selected Philips make as per below link. Would love to get your suggestions and comments on it.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07B27DM89/...c-f0421857aaf5

Last edited by Aditya : 28th July 2018 at 20:14. Reason: Quote tag fixed
Old 29th July 2018, 01:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can look up in my orig thread which has link for auxbeam in Amazon US. Similar designs are available on aliexpress as well.

Quote:
Thanks Supertinu, I have confirmed from the owner's manual that it is H4 fitting. If you could tell me which brand and what type of LED to go for.
I have selected Philips make as per below link. Would love to get your suggestions and comments on it.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07B27DM89/...c-f0421857aaf5
Philips length is at 90mm +. I dont think this will allow closing the dust cap. You will need to check but anything above 85mm range will be a challenge. Would recommend to open up the stock light cover and see the gap it has before purchasing. In case of my H7 lights, lenght is around 80mm, H4 size is only slightly bigger.

ALso recommend to buy from aliexpress or Amazon US, you will save money and give room for experimentation without hurting your pocket too much.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 10:45   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
With or without fan, the cooling section will be tight fit with dust cap in some cars especially the H4 ones.

Would recommend the following from my post on other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
That model is no longer on sale by Beamtech but you can get exact same one from Auxbeam with same reviews: http://a.co/9MVwyAz

BEamtech has replaced it with a newer model: http://a.co/czk8bGB This is fan based and not the fins for cooling.

And here's links to aliexpress for similar ones:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...27c44a53HSoWKr

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Osla...ceBeautifyAB=0

Last edited by Vid6639 : 29th July 2018 at 10:46.
Old 30th July 2018, 11:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Philips length is at 90mm +. I dont think this will allow closing the dust cap. You will need to check but anything above 85mm range will be a challenge. Would recommend to open up the stock light cover and see the gap it has before purchasing. In case of my H7 lights, lenght is around 80mm, H4 size is only slightly bigger.

ALso recommend to buy from aliexpress or Amazon US, you will save money and give room for experimentation without hurting your pocket too much.
I was amazed at the price difference on Aliexpress and Amazon US vs Indian sites. Will definitely order from those websites.

Could you tell me about some reliable brands I could go for. I am skeptical about the reliability of the lesser known brand available there.
Old 30th July 2018, 12:08   #28
Team-BHP Support

One doubt about this dust cap issue -

How will the bulbs effectively cool down (irrespective or whether it has a fan or fin) if the air flow is completely blocked with the dust caps?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 12:35   #29
BHPian

I checked the headlight assembly in my i10 properly. There is no way I can put LEDs in there with its rear part protruding out. Plus the dust caps in i10 are of hard plastic instead of flexible rubber. The space just behind the bulb is extremely compact and confined.
Old 30th July 2018, 14:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you tell me about some reliable brands I could go for. I am skeptical about the reliability of the lesser known brand available there.
I have addressed this question in the last section of my orig thread. Please refer to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
One doubt about this dust cap issue -

How will the bulbs effectively cool down (irrespective or whether it has a fan or fin) if the air flow is completely blocked with the dust caps?
Valid question. Based on my experience at work as well what I have seen is that forced convection is way more effective than natural convection. In case of heat sinks ambient temp, air movement etc become a big factor in how well it operates. hence my comment in my orig post about heat sinks better be exposed outside and not inside dust cap. However with fan based designs, the head light assembly in itself is fairly big in volume and has the entire body for heat exchange with ambient air. The fan ensures forced air movement. From what I have seen the fans have a very small air throw and the power consumption of these LEDs is around 20-30 watt range which doesn't result in heating the entire air inside the headlight significantly. The headlights remain way more cooler than a halogen. Btw I am a EE guy, so a ME can surely contest me here

Quote:
I checked the headlight assembly in my i10 properly. There is no way I can put LEDs in there with its rear part protruding out. Plus the dust caps in i10 are of hard plastic instead of flexible rubber. The space just behind the bulb is extremely compact and confined.
You can even buy new set of bigger dust caps. One example is given below. You can find more designs as well.

https://www.amazon.com/KOOMTOOM-Head...70_&dpSrc=srch
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks