Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2024, 09:08   #766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Surprised that the dual barrel projectors on the ScorpioN are not sufficient, even through they use 55W LEDs. Have you tried aligning the headlamps? Also the fog lamps are LED projectors right?.
Yes alignments with the headlight leveler has helped. But even with the most downward throw, low beam still seems a bit washed out under normal building and street lights. I remember I was driving once in such a empty street & only in a more darker section of the street, became aware that the headlights were actually off (normally in auto mode) : the low beam is that ineffective in normal city conditions. On the highways the high beam headlights are better, but again seem diffused into space ahead, rather than on road. Also, there are additional settings hidden inside the bonnet, will try them.

The Scorpio-N thread on this forum has not many vehicle complaints, but headlight effectiveness is one of the frequent complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
As far as I know you can't replace a bulb on your XL6 - neither headlight nor tailight. In case one LED goes bad, the whole unit would need replacement.
Thanks this helps! On this forum and this thread, I was happy to hear that many folks have overcome headlight effectiveness with a bulb upgrade, rather than proceeding with an auxiliary light-which can catch traffic police attention. I was a bit concerned on moisture sealant when bulbs are replaced, seems I don't have to!

Funnily the Scorpio-N Owner's Manual has a "Head Lamp Bulb Replacement (if equipped)" section, and clearly my top variant doesn't has that feature.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd March 2024 at 09:25. Reason: Please edit or multi-quote (QUOTE+) your replies instead of back to back posts. Thanks.
Old 3rd March 2024, 15:05   #767
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk600 View Post
Funnily the Scorpio-N Owner's Manual has a "Head Lamp Bulb Replacement (if equipped)" section, and clearly my top variant doesn't has that feature.
This is one of the reasons some buyers don't opt for top variants.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5720441 (2024 Hyundai Creta Facelift Review)

A pair of auxiliary lights should be the best for you. Just ensure there are no wire cuts while getting those installed.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 00:10   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk600 View Post

Is that correct?
Not correct for Scorpio-N. You can put H7 halogens/ Leds of your choice.
For creta etc top variant headlamps are sealed.
We recently got Z8L and the headlights need alignment which i will get done during first service.
Old 9th March 2024, 12:35   #769
BHPian

I stand corrected, Z8 and Z8L are sealed units. Now led bar above front number plate is one of the options.
Old 21st March 2024, 15:59   #770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Wow, this is a new low for OEMs. Just ensures that you are dependent on the service centre for just about everything. Wonder what's the cost of replacing a fused/blown bulb.
I wouldn't blame the OEMs for having ulterior motives here. LEDs allow OEMs to literally create custom lights of any shape and size and still manage to get decent throw through multiple combinations of reflectors/projector etc. This can be managed only through custom placement of LEDs. The typical H4/7/11 form factors were meant for halogens/HIDs and are old age tech. LEDs mimicking those form factors are designed to swap a existing halogen but they aren't optimal by design due to thermal limitations and throw.
Old 21st March 2024, 18:01   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
It has just been a week now that I have been using them as I could not get time ro install them earlier. Installation in the compass is quite a tedious process which involves taking down the wheels on either side and then opening up the wheel well to access the headlamps.
In my case I did not find much marked improvement over my 42w HIDs and the light output is similar and in fact I felt that the high beam is a bit weaker and the hotspot is not as bright. Also the low beam seems a bit narrow for my liking. Overall it is a mixed bag and not up to my expectations as probably I was expecting a 2x improvement and compared to my Hids it is barely 1.1x
I aligned the beams with the blade flat and also checked it using a paper over the headlight as shown. The blades have a significant dark spot and if these dark spots were in either low beam or high beam, the result would be even worse!

Attachment 2438408

Attachment 2438409

Attachment 2438410

Overall I feel happy that I had actually got the IPH M617 foglights are those are just brilliant and perform well. Compared to those, these osram 50W are barely 50% in light output.
So for anyone looking for better light, my first recommendation would be to get led projector foglights - either IPHM617 or GTR - these itself will be enough and there is no need for anything else.
Hi Behemoth. I had a query regarding installation of the Osram LEDs in the projector setup of the Compass. Does the installation require cutting or drilling a hole in the Dust Cap ? Does the Osram bulb LED Ballast fit inside the headlight housing of the Compass. I had changed bulbs once and found that there is space inside the housing. Or does the ballast stay outside and a ho;e has to be cut in the dust cap for the wire ? I have a Limited model with Halogen Projector setup.
Thanks in advance.
Old 21st March 2024, 20:36   #772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cav View Post
Hi Behemoth. I had a query regarding installation of the Osram LEDs in the projector setup of the Compass. Does the installation require cutting or drilling a hole in the Dust Cap ? Does the Osram bulb LED Ballast fit inside the headlight housing of the Compass. I had changed bulbs once and found that there is space inside the housing. Or does the ballast stay outside and a ho;e has to be cut in the dust cap for the wire ? I have a Limited model with Halogen Projector setup.
Thanks in advance.
Yes even the 50w Osram leds fit perfectly inside the housing including the driver. There is no hole cutting or drilling required.
Just go for it and you will find a substantial improvement (2x) with 6500k and 1.7x with 4300k.

However if you want radical improvement in the lighting setup, go for 3 inch fog projectors from Aes - FX2 or Fx3 (don't connect the high beam if you don't want to risk your warranty). These are also available in tri colour versions if you want. I had IPH M617 tri colour on mine and Aes are much better than IPH
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 20:44   #773
BHPian

Thanks for the input. I am currently running 9005 Philips Extreme Vision ultras but they are barely par for the course. I have 2 spare 55W Morimoto ballasts and have a choice between 2 HID bulbs or go for the Osram LEDs. Do not want to cut and chop given a choice. Never used LEDs so I think I will go for it now that you have confirmed that drills and cuts are not required.
Old 25th March 2024, 08:16   #774
BHPian

Hi All,

I have a Kia Carens (Luxury Plus (top end)) model, that comes with the LED headlight unit. On relatively higher speeds on the highway, the lights seem inadequate (doesn't inspire much confidence), although in-city driving is manageable due to lower speeds.

Having read enough, feels like many have installed Light Bars or Projector Fogs etc.

Specific problem question here is: Do these light bars or Projector Fogs actually improve the long range throw of the lights (almost like an add-on to high beam) OR do they illuminate the Short range (add-on to low beam)

I am looking for an option (without voiding warranty), to specifically improve long range throw..

I believe solutions do not have to be Carens specific coz many other cars nowadays have a similar story of default LEDs not being enough..

Any suggestions? I am based in Bangalore, so anyone here has done the needful?

Appreciate your help.

Thank you

Vikram
Old 25th March 2024, 10:17   #775
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv4u View Post
Hi All,

I have a Kia Carens (Luxury Plus (top end)) model, that comes with the LED headlight unit. On relatively higher speeds on the highway, the lights seem inadequate (doesn't inspire much confidence), although in-city driving is manageable due to lower speeds.

Vikram
For you the best option would be to add an auxiliary liight which can give you an additional low beam as well as a laser high beam.
You can go for the Aes G-wagen Warrior led light. You can get them directly from Blaze_India (you can search Blaze India on Insta and get their contact).
However you will need to find a good local installer who can fit them.

Or other option is for you to get the headlight units opened and get Osram CBI pro led projectors installed in them. In Mumbai there is a guy "Vig auto accessories" (search on Youtube) who has transplanted over 150 carens with these projectors. I also had the same thing done on my Hector plus (Osram CBI pro) and the light is very good.

Last edited by Behemoth : 25th March 2024 at 10:45.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 12:33   #776
BHPian

Quote:
For you the best option would be to add an auxiliary liight which can give you an additional low beam as well as a laser high beam.
You can go for the Aes G-wagen Warrior led light. You can get them directly from Blaze_India (you can search Blaze India on Insta and get their contact).
However you will need to find a good local installer who can fit them.

Or other option is for you to get the headlight units opened and get Osram CBI pro led projectors installed in them. In Mumbai there is a guy "Vig auto accessories" (search on Youtube) who has transplanted over 150 carens with these projectors. I also had the same thing done on my Hector plus (Osram CBI pro) and the light is very good.
Thank you for the G-Wagen suggestion. Will find out more.

Reg the opening of LED - feel like that will void the warranty.. Vig has done a lot, but whatever I have seen, everything is not a top-end, but versions lower. The advantages being that the lower-end variants do not come with LEDs, but come with Halogens..
Old 26th March 2024, 08:53   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Well I would recommend you go with Osram CBI pro - they are 45w in low beam and 57w in high beam. Anything higher than this you risk harming the wiring and the electricals of your car. The OE lights are actually 25w low beam and 35w high beam in the Hector Plus.
Kudos to your knowledge regarding headlight upgrade sir.
I also own Pre facelift Hector.
I find Fog lamps to be inadequate, so will the IPH M617 would be a good choice for me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashmax View Post
Duly noted. I shall go ahead with OSRAM CBI Pro. Please suggest some options in these locations. I will be immensely grateful.
Hi,
So did you go ahead with the install?
I am also looking forward to upgrade my headlamp projector and fog lamps of MG Hector (Pre Facelift).
Considering the prices in range of 25-30k, will first upgrade the fog lamps first.
Do share your choice.
Old 26th March 2024, 09:22   #778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay_868 View Post
Kudos to your knowledge regarding headlight upgrade sir.
I also own Pre facelift Hector.
I find Fog lamps to be inadequate, so will the IPH M617 would be a good choice for me?

Hi,
I am also looking forward to upgrade my headlamp projector and fog lamps of MG Hector (Pre Facelift).
Considering the prices in range of 25-30k, will first upgrade the fog lamps first.
Do share your choice.
In your case the Hector does not have round 3 inch fog lamps so 3 inch fog light projectors cannot be fitted. You can get the fog light bulbs replaced with Osram 25w or 50w leds (if your fog light bulbs are replaceable). The other option for you is to have your headlight projectors (small rectangular ones) replaced with better AES matrix 1.8 projectors - that will give you really significant improvement but requires the headlights to be opened up and retrofitted.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 09:55   #779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay_868 View Post
My previous experiences of tampering with my car's headlights were less than satisfactory. The work was done at Lajpat Nagar and East of Kailash in Delhi for my Honda City and Renault Duster respectively. The stock headlights of my MG Hector Plus are just about okay for city drives. I wanted to upgrade them for highway drives at night but haven't found time to do it.

If you are taking the plunge, I request you to post a detailed experience on this thread.
Dashmax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 14:26   #780
BHPian

Can anyone guide me on upgrading my halogen fog laps to yellow LEDs? Are there any available in India?
Also would like to upgrade the pilot lamp to LEDs and the brake lights and turn signals but don't want hyper flash.
The car is a pre facelift ecosport.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks