Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2018, 17:50   #16
BHPian

Re: The curious case of the ‘converted’ Cretas! People buying lower variants & then adding extra goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
I guess Hyundai is targeting fence sitters (I am one among them) by attractively pricing the base versions of their bigger car offerings. Case in point is launch of 1.4L diesel Verna last week.
Got my Creta 1.4 E Plus done from Car Plus too. They have a host of wonderful fitments which look perfect fit as good as OE. Also got a 10 inch android head unit fitted which looks and works great. Shall post pictures of the same shortly. Also got rear reflectors and Led bulbs upgrade for headlights and interiors.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th December 2018 at 19:38. Reason: Avoid quoting large posts entirely. Also please do not post videos as it inconveniences small screen users. Thanks!
Deepu Sharma is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 18:17   #17
BHPian

Re: The curious case of the ‘converted’ Cretas! People buying lower variants & then adding extra goo

Being from the crowd who are into this trend, I might help in letting you know why this trend is so common, especially in Delhi NCR region.

My requirements were a petrol Creta (Yes, no other competitors were even consisdered, I love this car that much.)

So the only confusion for me was the Variant picking.

Since all variants of petrol Creta come with the same engine, unlike Diesel, there would not have been any compromises in the mechanical front.

The E (base) variant is simply bare bones, so it was shelved off. The E+ and SX+ variants had a price difference of around a whopping 2.75 lakhs! What I miss is (Brochure wise):
1. Rear parking Sensors and Camera with guidelines- Fitted aftermarket in 4k
2. Front Fog lamps- Fitted aftermarket (LED) in 2k
3. Same tyre size alloy wheels- Would have replaced them anyway for MOMO REVENGE 16 inch with same tyres for 35k
4. Projector Headlamps- Plug and use matrix (Audi style) for 25k
5. Chrome package (includes radiator grill, rear garnish and door handles)- I have a black Creta and would have painted it black only, so in fact it saved me some money
6. Shark fin antenna- aftermarket for just Rs.250
7. leather steering- got the whole interior done in leather for 15k
8. Rear Parcel tray- Available aftermarket in 3-4k
9. Electrically Foldable ORVMs- Aftermarket fitting in 5k
10. 7 inch touchscreen with android auto and apple car play- The E+ variant provides a 5 inch touchscreen in petrol which is sufficient for me otherewise there are loads of options in the after market ranging from 15-45k

Total cost via After market products- 1.05 Lakhs
Price Difference- 1.70 lakh ruppees

Even if one wants to add more features, keeping a buffer amount of 20k, one still saves 1.5 lakh!

What I miss in the E+ variant and cant easily get in after market:
1. Rear Defogger
2. Push button Start/Stop
3. ACC
4. Rear armrest
5. Rear wiper
6. Driver auto side up/ down power window
7. Height adjustable seat (I have the pre facelift version)

Except for Height adjustable seats and rear defogger , other features were not really a deal breaker for me, and considering my daily drive doesn't have them too, i was not much of a problem to deal with too.

Also, regarding the concern of cutting of wires and losing warranty,nowadays many shops use something called scotch lock with doesn't cut the wires for connection. So it is a win-win situation for the buyers.

I won't deny the fact that there won't be competition of this to a Factory fitted SX+ model in quality and fit and finish. But considering the huge price difference and giving the car the look you want (I personally wanted that) and given to the advantage of not ruining your warranty, it is no brainer that people are following this trend.

Advance apologies if something is wrong about my viewpoint(s) and for any offense in my post.

Cheers!
DPetrolHead is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 18:26   #18

I guess the trend is also helped considerably by the fact that Creta's top-end variants are priced atrociously high from the point of view of its sub-segment.

The car scores in terms of the After-sales services and Total Cost of Ownership from a resale point of view, and the larger distribution presence for Hyundai in the country makes it a desirable vehicle for many people on the lookout for a compact SUV.

However, Creta is NOT a compact SUV. It is more than 4 metres long, which makes its top variants hopelessly out of reach of an average compact SUV buyer's reach. The Ecosport, which is the costliest sub-4m SUV, sells its top-end Petrol Variant Titanium S at 11.37 lakhs. This is already a whopping 1.5 lakh costlier than the Nexon XZA+ Dual Tone (Nexon is closer to the average price range of the sub-4m SUVs). But it is still cheaper by more than 2 lakhs as compared to the Creta 1.6 SX(O) Petrol, priced at 13.69 Lakhs - almost 3.5 lakhs above the sub-segment average.

This places the sub-4m aspirants of the Creta in a very unique/special position. Car features are a big deal as far as the average Compact SUV buyer goes, and so are the economics of owning a Hyundai. Stretched between the two, it makes a lot of sense for owners to buy lower-end variants and cover the feature gap by hitting the after-market.

This special pricing position must be generating a lasting demand for these accessories, and fuelling this trend.

As someone mentioned above, the low-end models are Hyundai's cash-cows, as far as Creta is concerned, despite the fact that top-end variants make for better margins. I don't think this trend is necessarily the same for other sub-4m SUVs - I see many, many more Titaniums, ZDis, VXs and XZAs on the road than I do their respective low-ends (at least in Mumbai). The sub-4m buyer is definitely starving for features, which for Creta are better supplied in the after-market!
EcoFox0718 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 20:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread. Just shows us how much profits the manufacturers by selling top variants.

If VW was selling cars like hot cakes, there would be a similar market for VW cars too. There are so many owners in the forum buying parts from China and installing it in their VW cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I think the 1.4 diesel E and E+ are tremendously value for money. The 1.4L engine getting lower insurance premiums...….

Adding to the reasons: I think Code6 has a remap for the i20 which produces 118 bhp/310 Nm (from the standard 90/220.) I think this map should be doable in the Creta too. Imagine the 1.4 Creta smoking the 1.6
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 10:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

And then there are cases like mine where I was in the market for a Diesel Auto and the Creta only came in the SX+ variant then. I knew I had to shell out big ones but at least I have peace of mind knowing all that I wanted was a part of the package and that too as a factory fitment. In the end, factory finish and fitment is exactly what you'd expect it to be. No accessory shop can match the fit & finish of stock. As a plus you also gain on not losing out on warranty!

I did lose out on the warranty bit though as I upgraded the shoes to 235/55's with some nice 17 inchers diamond cut alloys from HRS
9thsphinx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 15:04   #21
BHPian

Amidst all the talk and discussion related to after-market fitments, can any of the forum members kindly share if they or someone they know has faced any electrical issues after getting the accessories installed.

As in my case, a couple of LED lights and a horn were enough to mess up my Brezza's ECM, burning a deep hole in my pocket-- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ra-brezza.html (After-market accessories causing electrical problems in my Vitara Brezza)

We all love to jazz up our cars but after the above episode, my confidence had shaken pretty bad and I have since stuck to getting only non-electronic accessories fitted from outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPetrolHead View Post
What I miss in the E+ variant and cant easily get in after market:
3. ACC
You can get that too!

In the video that I have shared along with the main post the accessories shop owner has installed ACC in the Creta. Have a look

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th December 2018 at 18:08. Reason: Back to back post. Please use MultiQuote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.
captain.torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 17:50   #22
BHPian

Yes sir, I saw that! Thanks for the share and a really interesting thread!

But ACC is something I don't want to risk upon. Infact none of my cars have them currently so there isn't really a need for it. It was just that if I am spending 10+ lakhs on a car, it should have factory fitted ACC.
Old 6th December 2018, 19:24   #23
BHPian

It’s indeed very interesting & like most members said; it is the whopping price difference between the perceived VFM lower variants & the top variant that draws most folks to after market fitments.

As far as why there so any options available for Creta, apart from being globally famous ; I also feel since it is projected as an SUV, the after market accessories also come at a relatively higher cost (read better margins) for the people in business & also the fact that I know of lot of people who love to dress up their SUV’s more compared to other cars in their garage.

Strictly my views with no offence to anyone
Old 10th December 2018, 20:39   #24
BHPian

One of my clients did his base creta. He spent about 1.4 lakhs extra for the extra drl, alloy wheel, an 11 inch touch screen, leather seats, roof rails, boot plastic cladding and parcel tray, all fixed at the dealership itself! And the biggest argument was saving the road tax on the car some whopping 1.6 lakhs in karnataka. I found the argument unique in saving the tax difference in the base to top end creta.
mh09ad5578 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 10:06   #25
BHPian

I've always questioned the reliability of these aftermarket accessories.

But let's leave aside the cost for a moment. Sure, you can buy the cheaper base model of a vehicle and get a, say, parking sensor installed at a tiny fraction of the cost. A few months down the line, two of the four sensor stop working and even if there is a "warranty" to get them replaced, you still have to run back to the accessories shop you got these installed at. Or worse, there was no warranty to begin with or it expired within a few months Add to that, these accessories may also not do their job correctly even when they technically they are still functional.

I suppose if one understands that the discount may come at a significant reliability tradeoff and yet wants to go ahead, then it's all good. I'm all for aftermarket stuff, as long as it is better quality than OEM.
Tanmay K is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 12:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

This is so true! I haven’t seen any other cars getting so many aftermarket accessories apart from Creta! No doubt Creta is a handsome looking car. But the focus on the accessories is something that is astounding when it comes to Creta alone. But whatever these guys do with upping their variant through after market accessories, the finesse will not match up to OEM! They’ll not get to enjoy the 1.6 motor as well. But I appreciate those who are coming up with variety of accessories for creta alone.
Old 22nd December 2018, 01:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
One of my clients did his base creta. He spent about 1.4 lakhs extra for the extra drl, alloy wheel, an 11 inch touch screen, leather seats, roof rails, boot plastic cladding and parcel tray, all fixed at the dealership itself! And the biggest argument was saving the road tax on the car some whopping 1.6 lakhs in karnataka. I found the argument unique in saving the tax difference in the base to top end creta.
True, at 9.99L ex-showroom people save good amount of tax and insurance cost in Karnataka. Now a days dealer themselves do these modifications for an extra cost compared to accessory shops. I visited a Hyundai showroom last week and enquired about Creta 1.4. They had all the above mentioned accessories ready in showroom. Sales person explained clearly certain points like "Sir if you put after market headlamps, in case of an accident it will not be covered under regular insurance" , "Looking at your budget it is not worth paying extra for S version of 1.4"

After walk through of display vehicle, sales person points at SX badge and said " We can even fix SX badge at rear of 1.4 Creta so that your car looks exactly like top end" I came out of the showroom and laughed for couple of minutes
recshenoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2018, 19:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

The curious case of the ‘converted’ Cretas! People buying lower variants & th...

Buying the base variant and spending 50k is alright, but some of the folks are going overboard with the accessories for the Creta, by spending more than a lakh. All of this extra money spent comes to nothing during resale, unless the buyer is swayed by such accessories, else the buyer will quickly dismiss them by stating that at the end of the day its the base variant.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 20:19   #29
BHPian

Came across a Cartoq article very similar to the content on this thread. They haven't credited Team-bhp but it sure does look to me like it is inspired(will not call it plagiarism rightaway).
Quote:
The Indian car market has surprising trends but for reasons. While we do know that 70% of the total Creta sales are from diesel versions and 80% buyers opt for the manual transmission, the fact that the largest selling Creta model in India is the base E+ diesel left us a bit surprised. However, a quick look at the brochure as well as pricing of smaller compact SUVs gave us the right reason for this trend.

We had requested Hyundai for this data earlier this week and they responded within 12 hours, giving us deeper insights into the sales of the Creta. The base E+ diesel Creta is priced at Rs 9.99 lakh (ex-showroom) which works well in terms of a psychological number, under Rs 10 lakh.
Source.
Yes, it does make sense for fence sitters to 'upgrade' from the Nexon's and Brezza's to a Creta E+. They get all the basic stuff and today aftermarket jobs are of acceptable enough quality given the huge price difference as others have stated earlier. Neither do the competitors(barring ecosport titaninum+) offer better safety (airbags count) nor upmarket(perceived) enough. Hyundai did strike gold positioning this as premium and posh, which itself was a risky move in a price conscious segment. They've pushed the barriers of how much a 1.5 million INR car can sell, and how!
Mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 12:57   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
Came across a Cartoq article very similar to the content on this thread. They haven't credited Team-bhp but it sure does look to me like it is inspired(will not call it plagiarism rightaway).Source.
Hi Mukund

We emailed Ford, Hyundai and Maruti for the largest selling variants of Ecosport, Creta and Breeze. Ecosport and Creta articles are already on the site, backed by data which the manufacturer shared with us for 2018. Hence, this thread wasn't an inspiration in the first place. Just clarifying it here
I hope mods are okay with my reply. Cheers.

Last edited by BunnyPunia : 8th January 2019 at 12:59.
BunnyPunia is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks