Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2012, 03:41   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Battery ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushagarwal26 View Post
Time for a battery replacement!

Being out of town, I didn't use my E220 for a week. When I tried to start it today, it wouldn't start. The central locking wouldn't work either, and the dash lights were really dim - dimming further on cranking the engine. No crank sound either. Clearly, the battery's out.

I figured charging might help, but then realized it's been 2.5 years since it was replaced. I was told that's the average lifespan - am I correct?

Now, I'm trying to figure out what to put in. The current battery is an Exide Sealed-for-life maintenance free type, but I don't know the exact spec (Writing this from office; left the car at home). I spoke to a dealer I know, and he said there are two variants for old mercedes - din 66 and din 74. After discounting the old battery, he quoted 7.2k and 8.2k for these respectively (Exide).

My questions are,

1) Will charging help, or do I need a replacement? In other words, is it okay for a battery to die in 2.5 years or less?

2) What spec battery - din 66 or 74 - would go into a '96 E220 W124? Also, are the prices quoted reasonable?
This theory about battery lasting only 2.5 - 3 years is belief successfully spread by battery dealers to help them (and battery manufacturers) make a better living. That said, lets not forget you are speaking about Exide. It has been the experience of most people here that they do last less. So do test your battery properly after charging it fully. Else you could be stranded somewhere. And next time get a better brand that can be expected to last 5+ years (depends on your usage!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Car: 2007 model chevy spark
Battery: stock
ICE: Stock HU + 2front comps+2 rear coax.
AC usage: 50%
ICE usgae: 80%

Last month, i took the car out for some work, on the way back I had to make a stop few km's before my place. Ignition key in total OFF mode with just parking lights ON. When I came back, the car won't start. I could feel that the crank was not going the complete cycle. Power windows rolled down sluggishly which was my clue. Got hold of a battery repair guy who jumpstarted the car and took the car at his shop. On inspection it was found that there was no acid / distilled water. With acid refilled, jump started the car again and took a spin for few km's so that the battery would charge. Until yesterday, no problems at all.

Yesterday: while coming back, had to wait near commercial street, total ignition off with parking lights ON for like 10mins, the car won't crank up - similarly to what happened last month. Local mech jump started it, acid was all ok.

Now, should I do? Replace the battery or what?
Basically, you can't revive a battery like that by just adding water... assuming that the plates have been exposed. Once its done, its done for. And you are indeed asking for trouble by taxing your already weak battery with the parking lights. Also jump-starting and expecting the car to fully charge the battery is not the way to go, except perhaps in an emergency. You should bench charge the battery properly. Now that its done, its most likely that you battery needs replacement... but you could still fully bench-charge it and test to see if you can get a bit more life out of it.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 07:39   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
I suggest, you get a battery charger. Drip charge your battery for 2 or 3 days at 2 AH and then revert to the forum. Get a 6 Amp battery charger and hook up your battery to the charger whenever it isn't in use for long periods. 2.5 years is just the half-life of a normal battery.
Getting a battery charger is a problem for me. Can you suggest some good brands. I am placed at Mumbai
Old 1st July 2012, 00:19   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Basically, you can't revive a battery like that by just adding water... assuming that the plates have been exposed. Once its done, its done for. And you are indeed asking for trouble by taxing your already weak battery with the parking lights. Also jump-starting and expecting the car to fully charge the battery is not the way to go, except perhaps in an emergency. You should bench charge the battery properly. Now that its done, its most likely that you battery needs replacement... but you could still fully bench-charge it and test to see if you can get a bit more life out of it.
It finally happened today. While coming back, the car would not start at all. Found a local battery walla who jumpstarted the car to be able to reach his shop. Acid / water was ok. Checked fluid level - all ok. Checked using voltage instrument - the battery was pronounced dead.

Got sonic sf with 4 yrs warranty for 3350 (dead battery=500rs)

The crank is now crisp. Loving it.
Old 1st July 2012, 10:16   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

A month back, my 40 month old SX4 went completely dead. It was used for the whole day by my dad and things were fine, no indications like trouble in cranking etc. But in the night, just before it could be parked inside, the car was dead. No electricals working, no lights nothing. I hooked up a multimeter which showed 11 volts under no load. And when the car was cranked, it went below 7 volts which pointed out to a dead battery. So swapped batteries with my waggy and it cranked fine at the first go. Next day, took it to a battery dealer keeping a replacement in mind. However he refused to declare the battery as dead and checked the water level. It was entirely dry in one cell! So after filling and topping up all the other cells, the battery was charged for a night. After putting it back to the car, it is running fine from that day.

According to him, the maintenance free batteries last for more than five years so he advised us not to invest in a replacement so soon. But my scare is that if this repeats in the near future(car going dead suddenly), then is it not better to take a preventive measure and replace the battery? Spending 4-5k is not a big deal instead of trading it for peace of mind and reliability.
Also, how do I check for fluid level? There are min and Max. markings but I dont see any fluid as such. Any pointers?
Old 2nd July 2012, 00:11   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
A month back, my 40 month old SX4 went completely dead. It was used for the whole day by my dad and things were fine, no indications like trouble in cranking etc.
I know afresh how it feels to get straded, twice. Fortunately, I was near my home both the times. Peace of mind costed me 3300/-
Your call

Last edited by GTO : 3rd July 2012 at 13:13. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
Old 2nd July 2012, 01:08   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A month back, my 40 month old SX4 went completely dead. It was used for the whole day by my dad and things were fine, no indications like trouble in cranking etc. But in the night, just before it could be parked inside, the car was dead. No electricals working, no lights nothing. I hooked up a multimeter which showed 11 volts under no load. And when the car was cranked, it went below 7 volts which pointed out to a dead battery. So swapped batteries with my waggy and it cranked fine at the first go. Next day, took it to a battery dealer keeping a replacement in mind. However he refused to declare the battery as dead and checked the water level. It was entirely dry in one cell! So after filling and topping up all the other cells, the battery was charged for a night. After putting it back to the car, it is running fine from that day.

According to him, the maintenance free batteries last for more than five years so he advised us not to invest in a replacement so soon. But my scare is that if this repeats in the near future(car going dead suddenly), then is it not better to take a preventive measure and replace the battery? Spending 4-5k is not a big deal instead of trading it for peace of mind and reliability.
Also, how do I check for fluid level? There are min and Max. markings but I dont see any fluid as such. Any pointers?
Does not sound good at all. If the plates were exposed in that cell, then you can be pretty sure your battery is in its last days or maybe even hours. Why didnt you test the battery properly after he recharged it? You should insist on getting a replacement if in warranty. Does not make sense in letting the warranty go and spending money on another batter.

What brand is it btw?
Old 2nd July 2012, 08:43   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Sir it is the exide maintenance free battery I got as OE in my sx4. It is now nearing a month and the battery still is doing good. It can supply 13v under load and it charges at 15 volts nearly. Being an OE battery, it has a warranty of one year only. The battery dealer I went to suggested it is fine to use this battery for one more year. He could have sold me a new battery easily but he didn't do that and insisted I carry on with this one. That is the reason I am confused. Had I been to a maruti dealer, the answer would be replacement but here I got a different opinion.

@quadra exactly. I dont mind taking preventive measures to maintain the car. However, as the fellow insisted, I was confused. As per him it wont fail like this unless the cell goes dry again. He told me that it would be a gradual process and you can identify before it completely goes dead. I walked in asking for new battery prices. He was the one who convinced me in keeping this battery. Anyways now I think I to visit another dealer.

Whats your opinion on the brand? Exide is much expensive compared to amaron, but here I see amarons are getting positive reviews on an average.

Last edited by audioholic : 2nd July 2012 at 08:49.
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:43   #83
Senior - BHPian

Since when did manufacturers started giving maintenance free batteries as OEM?
Are you sure it is a sealed battery?
Pics of the battery would help.
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:07   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

It is not a 'Zero maintenance' battery. It is those coin plug types. Now I understand that these batteries are not maintenance free. However, the exide website says so -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exide
Exide Max MF range of Batteries is made in strong, durable polypropylene container with heat-sealed lid,coin-flush vent plugs, offering Real Value for Money. Maintenance Free, Fully activated Factory Charged, 3-Year Pro-rata Warranty
Old 2nd July 2012, 21:11   #85
BHPian

Quote:
@quadra exactly. I dont mind taking preventive measures to maintain the car. However, as the fellow insisted, I was confused. As per him it wont fail like this unless the cell goes dry again. He told me that it would be a gradual process and you can identify before it completely goes dead. I walked in asking for new battery prices. He was the one who convinced me in keeping this battery. Anyways now I think I to visit another dealer.

Whats your opinion on the brand? Exide is much expensive compared to amaron, but here I see amarons are getting positive reviews on an average.
In my case, i was stranded thrice actually. The first time the cells were completely dry AFAIK. After a refill, the car broke down 2 more times. When the 3rd incident happened, i got the battery changed.

The 1st & 3rd time, i was lucky as the car broke down near my home. The 2nd incident happened at commercial street which was a complete nightmare. Got stuck with a local puncture walla - who obviously didnt have a jumpstart cable so OEM battery was taken out, another battery was put in, car was started, while running, the battery was taken out and OEM was put back in. I should have asked the price first,, my bad, they asked for rs 250/- managed to bring them down to rs 150/-

As i understand, if the cells are completely dry once and still the battery is being used, its like asking for trouble as the battery can decide to go kaput just any time.

I also noticed that the car started in 2 cranks and i really had to twist the key way beyond. Another signal that the battery is going down soon.

Hope this helps

Last edited by quadra : 2nd July 2012 at 21:13.
Old 2nd July 2012, 21:54   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

In my case, the fluid level had gone down in one cell. Other cells were fine. Anyways can someone guide me as to how to check for fluid level in the battery? There is a minimum and maximum level indicator but dont see the fluid.
Old 2nd July 2012, 22:26   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
The dealer tells me both Amaron and Exide now come with a 5 yr warranty... meaning company replacement if it dies before that. Pretty surprising this. Quote is Rs 6000 for a Fiesta Exide, maintenance free
Guys,

Request you all to have a discussion with your battery dealer about the warranty information.
As far as my knowledge and understanding goes the 5 years [i.e. 60 months] is divided into 2 different categories.
1. 36 month guarantee and
2. 36 month warranty

During the 36 month guarantee period the dealer or company will replace the battery free of cost. But during the 36 month warranty period the dealer or company will repair or replace the battery and we the customer will have to bear a certain percentage of the repair or replacement cost.
Ditto for batteries with 2 years or 3 years warranty.

How do I know this?? I have had a lengthy discussion with my local battery shopwala when replacing my Ikon battery.
Old 2nd July 2012, 23:05   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So after filling and topping up all the other cells, the battery was charged for a night. After putting it back to the car, it is running fine from that day.

Generally once the plates are exposed to air, it rings a death knell for the battery. Keep a close eye on it - especially water levels in the cell that ran dry. When a cell uses more water than the other it generally means that is the one which will fail first. Also you will get small hints of impending battery failure - slow cranking, lights turning dim when you crank the engine. Some tests you can perform at home:

a) Switch on all headlamps/lights and crank the engine. If the lights dim and the engine cranks you are good to go. But if the lights go off the battery is on its last legs. Consider replacing it.

b) If you have a digital multimeter - measure the voltage after the car has been switched off for 2-3 hours with no drain on the battery except parasitic drain from the ECU and other systems. The battery voltage should be 12.5 to 12.6 volts.

Fluid levels are checked by opening the caps and looking into the filler hole. Though Max and Min lines are present on the battery case, the case itself is too opaque for the water levels to be seen in an engine compartment. What I used to do was shine a flashlight from the opposite side of the battery container wall and it gave me an approx indication.

Quote:
@quadra exactly. I dont mind taking preventive measures to maintain the car. However, as the fellow insisted, I was confused. As per him it wont fail like this unless the cell goes dry again. He told me that it would be a gradual process and you can identify before it completely goes dead. I walked in asking for new battery prices. Whats your opinion on the brand? Exide is much expensive compared to amaron, but here I see amarons are getting positive reviews on an average.
I replace the battery every 3 years or earlier if I detect signs of weakness that could lead to failure. 5K every 3 years is approx Rs 1670/year or 140/month i.e. less than 2 litres of petrol. I do not want to be stranded and build the cost of a 'consumable' battery into my car's running costs. My car's OEM Exide starting showing lower than normal voltages 2 years ago and I replaced it though the dealer said it wasn't necessary. It was replaced with another Exide..as Amaron and Tata Green weren't available. More feedback about the Exide Matrix on the 'Oh no Exide battery woes' thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumars View Post
Guys,

Request you all to have a discussion with your battery dealer about the warranty information.
As far as my knowledge and understanding goes the 5 years [i.e. 60 months] is divided into 2 different categories.
1. 36 month guarantee and
2. 36 month warranty
The 2nd point is 24 months..not 36 and it is a prorata reduction set off against the price of a new battery.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 02:39   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir it is the exide maintenance free battery I got as OE in my sx4. It is now nearing a month and the battery still is doing good. It can supply 13v under load and it charges at 15 volts nearly. Being an OE battery, it has a warranty of one year only. The battery dealer I went to suggested it is fine to use this battery for one more year. He could have sold me a new battery easily but he didn't do that and insisted I carry on with this one. That is the reason I am confused. Had I been to a maruti dealer, the answer would be replacement but here I got a different opinion.

R2D2 has commented on your issue in the best possible way. So there isn't much more for me to add. Your cell sure seems doomed. I'd suggest you do the tests R2D2 mentioned or just do a load test on your battery. A good dealer should have the equipment. Check the SG of that cell too. The SG reading itself should be enough for you to claim a replacement, if necessary. The weak cell is likely to stress the other cells by increasing resistance in the battery.

As for my opinion about the brand, I'm a known rabid Exide hater here. And for good reason. You can easily see from other's experiences that Amaron is a way better option than Exide. Check out other threads about Exide woes on TBHP. Besides Amaron you can consider Bosch/Base Terminal/Tata Green. You won't go terribly wrong with either. Let price and warranty duration be the deciding factor.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:11   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Also you will get small hints of impending battery failure - slow cranking, lights turning dim when you crank the engine.
This had happened from a few months. I run a 100/90 setup. The headlights used to switch off and then switch on after the engine started running. Actually this used to happen right from when I switched to 100/90 setup that is when the car was two years old. Before that the lamps used to Dim during cranking. However, I assumed that the relay was not getting enough voltage so it was switching off. Now, the headlamps do not switch off. But I repeat, there was no slow cranking, dimming of other lights etc.

Quote:
b) If you have a digital multimeter - measure the voltage after the car has been switched off for 2-3 hours with no drain on the battery except parasitic drain from the ECU and other systems. The battery voltage should be 12.5 to 12.6 volts.
Voltage has been good till now. Engine running, full load with AC On and lights(100/90 + fog) supplies around 13v. Without load it is as high as 15 volts. Once engine is shut, battery voltage remains at 14 volts and slowly, in around two minutes comes to 13.5 and then the drop is not so fast. Will measure cold voltage.
Anyways, I am sure of replacing the battery, and this is just for my curiosity, as having multiple cars at home, its better I keep a check on such things.
Quote:
Fluid levels are checked by opening the caps and looking into the filler hole. Though Max and Min lines are present on the battery case, the case itself is too opaque for the water levels to be seen in an engine compartment. What I used to do was shine a flashlight from the opposite side of the battery container wall and it gave me an approx indication.

I replace the battery every 3 years or earlier if I detect signs of weakness that could lead to failure. 5K every 3 years is approx Rs 1670/year or 140/month i.e. less than 2 litres of petrol. I do not want to be stranded and build the cost of a 'consumable' battery into my car's running costs. My car's OEM Exide starting showing lower than normal voltages 2 years ago and I replaced it though the dealer said it wasn't necessary. It was replaced with another Exide..as Amaron and Tata Green weren't available. More feedback about the Exide Matrix on the 'Oh no Exide battery woes' thread.
Thanks for the instructions on how to check fluid levels. All these days the checks made were only consumables but now I regard this too as a consumable :P Yes I need not stick with the same battery anymore, as you all have rightly said. I will see another dealer and purchase a new battery. And it will be amaron, as the amaron in my older omni and also is doing good after six years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
As for my opinion about the brand, I'm a known rabid Exide hater here. And for good reason. You can easily see from other's experiences that Amaron is a way better option than Exide. Check out other threads about Exide woes on TBHP. Besides Amaron you can consider Bosch/Base Terminal/Tata Green. You won't go terribly wrong with either. Let price and warranty duration be the deciding factor.
Yes sir I have gone through the thread long back. Neither did my exides satisfy me too. I had expected a weak battery once the car was 36 months old but never expected a 'Dead' battery. An amaron battery I had showed signs of weakness after five years and that was pretty much enough for us to consider replacing it. However, this is totally unreliable. If there is something that has ever caused our car to break down, that is the battery. Two months back, we had been to one of the deepest places in the western ghats and had it failed there, then it would have been a ruckus. Just we had another car with us and only that would have been some respite.

Thanks again for helping out here. Will update today evening or tomorrow after changing the battery. The dealer is offering the Amaron sealed battery for 4.9k without exchange. What do you guys say? It is a 35Ah battery but I am not sure which variant of amaron.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks