Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

View Poll Results: Which offers better performance?
K&N 40 59.70%
Ractive 27 40.30%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2007, 00:49   #31
BHPian

I came across a stainless steel filter was tempted to fit it. But felt that it might heat up due to the hot air under the hood more than a cotton filter as in the K&N or ractive. It did not look like a mesh. The SS filter had folds with a lot of fine holes in it. Anybody has had any experience with these filters?
Old 23rd March 2007, 01:32   #32
BANNED

Steel mesh filters can be used in India. Just have to be a bit careful with very dusty conditions.
They're not the best filters for Indian conditions.

K&N filters are good but expensive too. If a product sells well, the price can't be very much unjustifiable.
We just have to wait for one more authorised importer cum distributor of K&N.

Ractive is not easily available here. The quoted price is almost same like K&N too.
Old 23rd March 2007, 01:41   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
I came across a stainless steel filter was tempted to fit it. But felt that it might heat up due to the hot air under the hood more than a cotton filter as in the K&N or ractive. It did not look like a mesh. The SS filter had folds with a lot of fine holes in it. Anybody has had any experience with these filters?
Heat wouldn't be an issue with SS Filters. Exhaust Systems which are made of Stainless Steel or Aluminized Steel can handle 1600oF.
Old 23rd March 2007, 04:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

I've seen Ractive, and IMHO they do nothing but make a lot of induction noise. The car I was driving actually seemed slower because of the damn thing.

Paul, dude, we have 100 bhp on our cars. Any little bump up in power is HUGE for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
I was talking about difeerences of maybe 25microns(dia of human hair-5 microns.Using 1 tank of bad fuel will have worse effects than using a ractive for say 1year.Plus the filteration prob was solved by using the K&N oil on my ractive.
Please picture the havoc created if a small particle of sand gets trapped on your valve seat. Then you will realise 25 microns, ie 5 human hairs together, is a very big deal.
Old 23rd March 2007, 08:07   #35
BHPian

Hafi go for Green cotton filters.It is really good.Better performance than K&N.
Old 23rd March 2007, 09:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I've seen Ractive, and IMHO they do nothing but make a lot of induction noise. The car I was driving actually seemed slower because of the damn thing.

Paul, dude, we have 100 bhp on our cars. Any little bump up in power is HUGE for us!

Please picture the havoc created if a small particle of sand gets trapped on your valve seat. Then you will realise 25 microns, ie 5 human hairs together, is a very big deal.
I assume you were talking about my,...ill get a K&N soon..Happy??

Last edited by binz : 23rd March 2007 at 09:16.
Old 23rd March 2007, 09:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HAve you seen a particle of sand..its definately not going to make its way through that filter.A particle of dust(that tiny microscopic grey thing) is approx 15 microns.

I took the 25 micron thing as a comparison..the difference in the two filters may be even less.BUt taking 25 for now....is it really going to make that much of a difference?
Old 23rd March 2007, 11:17   #38
BHPian

out of topic!

Could somebody please tell me where can we buy Ractive replacement filter for Zen MPFI?
Does PJSpeed sell those?
Old 23rd March 2007, 12:15   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont think this thread currently is serving its purpose well - its all over the place. Can this be converted into a scientific poll ?
Old 24th March 2007, 01:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

Driven a few more since, and the opinion still stands. But to be honest, it's your car and your (dad's!) money, so if you're happy with it, no reason to change the filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
I took the 25 micron thing as a comparison..the difference in the two filters may be even less.BUt taking 25 for now....is it really going to make that much of a difference?
Yes.
Old 24th March 2007, 01:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
Did you see these filter at Hyper Performance Motorsports??
Old 24th March 2007, 08:10   #42
BANNED

the size of the ractive compared to k&n conical is less i think ...hence can be easily placed under the hood...
Old 24th March 2007, 08:24   #43

i bought AEM cold air intake system for my honda city 1.5exi .to be honest guyz i didnt notice much of a difference.
Old 29th March 2007, 15:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

i've been using a K&N conical filter on my santro for the last 6 months or so. so far so good... very happy with it. there has been an increase in power, and my FE has improved. so its doing all its supposed to do, and sounding great whilst doing so
i did consider the Ractive filter before purchasing the filter, but after a great deal of research and user feedback, i went for the tried and tested.

btw, @khanak: to answer your question, "typhoon" is an air filter kit that K&N makes - basically a conical filter with an intake system attached to it. it's car-specific, and not available for all indian models.
would suggest a conical (universal) filter coupled with a custom intake pipe. works like a charm
Old 29th March 2007, 22:13   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. But to be honest, it's your car and your (dad's!) money,
Correction..
Dads car,my money

Post count+1

Most Viewed