Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2020, 23:24   #16
BHPian

Re: Car Air Fresheners that BHPians recommend

Is it okay not to use one? Because I haven't ever felt the need of a car freshener or a perfume. As per my experience, the frequently you clean your car interiors, lesser the chances of unpleasant odors in the car.

I have a 2011 Vento which I drive 50 kms a day in Mumbai traffic and AC on 95% of the time. I get the interiors of my car washed once a week with a damp cloth and use a mildly perfumed leather and dashboard conditioner once every 45 days. I am too careful with keeping the car interiors clean and eating inside the car is a strict No. In case if it is unavoidable, I clean the interiors at the end of the trip.
All of this ensures that the car is free from any kind of unpleasant odors.
TheRajput is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 09:32   #17
BHPian

After trying Ambi-pur and and couple of other brands, I decided to settle down with a domestic air freshener - Glade gel. Does the job, and is easy on the pocket (80 rupees).
Just hide it in an invisible corner of the car and you're sorted.

Name:  Screenshot 20200925 at 9.24.04 AM.png
Views: 6068
Size:  135.6 KB

Something I've also liked are the hanging fragrance papers. They smell good, but the only downside is that you have to hang them by the IRVM, which I'm not a fan of.

Image credit - Flipkart
Vibhav-Van is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 09:54   #18
BHPian

It may sound a bit odd but I use camphor tablets as a car freshner. Along with the mild scent it also has some claimed medicinal advantages as well.

I am not a big fan of the artificial fresheners (gives me a headache at some point)
tanaysn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 09:58   #19
BHPian

I used to sell these while at Carkhana.com and had a chance to try multiple brands such as the Little Trees, the ones from Turtle, Usual Ambi pur and glade etc. My only gripe with most is that they dont last long. A month at max. Especially if you are in a hot region. Mostly, you will still have a hanging perfume that is way past its prime.

I now prefer a no perfume car. A good dry clean once in 6 months keeps the car feeling fresh. If there is something specific, I prefer to use a spray and then back to normal.
Tapish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 09:59   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaysn View Post
It may sound a bit odd but I use camphor tablets as a car freshner. Along with the mild scent it also has some claimed medicinal advantages as well.

I am not a big fan of the artificial fresheners (gives me a headache at some point)
Same for me. I keep a few camphor chips in the door pocket it last for about 2-3 weeks. Keeps the fragrance neutral and also helps keeps mosquitos from entering the car while opening doors as camphor is a natural mosquito repellent.
Mr.RaghavDhir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 10:15   #21
BHPian

These camphor based air fresheners are very good ! Nice pleasant natural smell, no chemicals or artificial ingredients. Just hang it around IRVM and they last for months.
They have multiple uses in the household too. Refer their page in amazon

Name:  campure.png
Views: 5847
Size:  560.2 KB

Image from Amazon site.
mankuthimma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 10:30   #22
BHPian

During monsoon season I put Baking Powder or soda in the car overnight generally in an open container below the seats so that no moisture buildup occurs in the cabin or Absorb it product from amazon which is also same stuff just comes in a plastic bin you could also use sillica gel pouch but I avoid them as they are a health hazard for animals if not disposed properly.
After this still anything I use Godrej aer pocket any one with citrus smell as it is known to keep you awake during night drives plus it keeps my vents free & I can throw them anywhere in the car.
Else I like the natural car smell as long as I am able to maintain it neutral smelling, all that leather & plastics has their own smell.
Old 25th September 2020, 10:38   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I still remember the air freshener that came as a freebie while taking delivery of my 14' EcoSport, it was the best-ever fragrance! I don't remember the name of the brand but if someone else does please share the name it was from SC Ford Malad, it was a thin black rectangular box with a beige top and had a slider that could be set as to how much fragrance we wanted. Lasted a solid 2 years even after finishing!
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 10:42   #24
BHPian

I bought the car perfume from Honda which costs about 450rs. Smells great everytime I step into the car. It's got that new car smell and the perfume is gel based I suppose and the box looks premium which seems like wrapped in leather.
Thmh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 10:45   #25
BHPian

Initially I was using Godrej Aer but got bored of it. Switched to My Shaldan and found them really good. But after a point of time I started getting headaches and thus stopped using that as well.
Now I am using Dr. Charcoal for sometime. The bag has to be kept out under the sun for 1 hour once a month and the bag has to be discarded after 1 year. The car is devoid of any smell/odour after I started using this. I do not know whether it actually reduces pollution etc. like it is claims but at least the dampness and the damp smell of the car is also not there during monsoon. I hang this from the headrest of the passenger seat.
Old 25th September 2020, 10:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
There are different types of air fresheners. IMO, the adsorbent types such as activated charcoals are just but a hoax. The air filtration types may be OK for cars that don't have cabin air filter which is very unlikely in modern cars.
I have been using the activated charcoal for some time. I don't use car perfumes. I rarely get a bad smell or feel any stuffy air in my car with this around. Is it the placebo effect . I guess it has some adsorption properties. What's your take on these products? i've mentioned about one in my previous post(#15). Once a while I keep couple of coffee beans in the car that gives a pleasant aroma.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 25th September 2020 at 10:59.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 10:57   #27
BHPian

I experienced that my cars smelled best immediately after a thorough interior detailing job followed by Ozone treatment. The freshness of the nullified odour lasts for 7-10 days.

However, in the Mumbai Monsoons you can't avoid your car from smelling mushy after a point of time. For those days I used to prefer to back up the cleaning with Dr Marcus - Black aircan. It was a very matured and rare fregrance. It was quiet strong and pronounced in first 2-3 days and few fellow passengers complained about headache. But after that, anyone who entered my car would compliment the fragrance. A single can was good for 6-7 months. However, it seems they altered the fragrance has turned more floral and subdued. The last time I bought it, the fragrance didn't even last 5 days and it had a hint of sugary smell which I hated. Tried many other alternatives but nothing impresses me anymore. Now I just enjoy the after fragrance (or the lack of it) of the Ozone treatment and for rainy days I liberally use silica based moisture absorbers.

In worst case scenario, I use the traditional Odonil cake (Lavendar).
Attached Thumbnails
Car Air Fresheners that BHPians recommend-4b6b92d95b9c41ceb2cc442e73c9d06d.jpeg  

R_Gowardhan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 11:10   #28
BHPian

One trick that I have used at times is to keep a bar of soap whose fragrance you like in the car and you will get that fragrance for quite some time. Once fragrance is gone, you can use soap as normal for washing hands, etc
aniketvu is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 11:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
I am using currently Involve and I am happy with the MUSK fragrance.
I have been using Involve One from last 3 years at least. Found them to be the best so far. Musk is amazing. Other fragrances are average. Best part I like is that they are fiber cakes which completely avoid any spillage by accident.

I have used Aeron as well for sometime and Black Crystal is great. They also come as Fiber cakes.

These days don't feel going for any liquids / gels at all.
nexus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 11:23   #30
BHPian

I started using couple of cotton balls size of a marble soaked in either Tea Tree Oil or Eucalyptus Oil. Kept a ball near the passenger foot well under the mat and one at the boot and the other passenger door bottle holder. They are anti fungal and have nice fragrance.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks