Don't care, as long as the noise translates to faster movement. 36 48.65%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2007, 10:09   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Oye Elfy,

Just returned from Goa last night and saw this thread. Have a solution for you get the car over and we shall solve it for you. Will not eliminate the sound completely but will definitely reduce it by approx 50%.

Viper
Hey viper, how about sharing your solution with the rest of the forum. Afterall, the whole point here is to share idea's.
Old 7th May 2007, 10:23   #47
BANNED

Hey RT,

I absolutely agree with you. Will do so once it works on his car and will let him do the talking himself. There are certain members who are ready to pounce on anything said by me so dont want any situations.

Will definitely post the solution once done. Have to use different methods for diff cars.

Think you know what I mean.

Viper
Old 7th May 2007, 10:58   #48
elf
BANNED

Great! Top-secret SkunkWorks kinda stuff! Are we talking about an opposite phase noise generator that'll pick up the resonance of the intake & generate the exact same volume but simply 180 degrees outta phase? Or will we cut open the K&N vertically & add sound deadener to it? Or will I have earplugs stuffed in my... well ears? Or ....?

Ooohh! I love the whole secrecy of it all! viper! Where have you been all my life?
Old 7th May 2007, 11:06   #49
BHPian

oyyyy. dont get too excited, all viper is planning to do is make your car normal again..
i.e. its back to 3 cylinders for you, the reduced sound of one cylinder intergrated with the k&n racket, is equal to 50% less noise.

and yeah, i'm back in town
Old 7th May 2007, 11:11   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
G Or will I have earplugs stuffed in my... well ears? Or ....?
Ooohh! I love the whole secrecy of it all! viper! Where have you been all my life?
Oye,

Someone's grey cells are working overtime. how did you guess what I was going to do. **** now the secret is out, you can have your noise reduction on your own.

viper
Old 7th May 2007, 11:21   #51
Senior - BHPian

Elfie,

You should have waited for a day before putting this up on the forum. The problem you face would have had an solution in 3 posts.

Viper , why did you come back late from Goa ? Now we have to read 4 pages to get to the solution you offering.
Old 7th May 2007, 11:28   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Will additional sound deadening material on the inside of the hood/engine bay work?
Old 7th May 2007, 11:43   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Will additional sound deadening material on the inside of the hood/engine bay work?
yup it will. as mentioned earlier sound deadening on both sides of the firewall.
Old 7th May 2007, 11:44   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I just want silence & power. Lots of both..
You want power. You drive in bumper to bumper traffic. Pray may i ask why do you need the power?

ok ok ok you once was a boy racer and you want to believe that someday you'll be one again well in that case...
Cheapest option I would consider. Sell the Lancer to some Enginve-Vengine guy and get yourself a used OHC Vtec with the proceeds. Then add about 10-12K worth of damping to the cabin (doors, underbody, heatlon on firewall, etc...) and you'll get a quiet, silent car that can rip.
Next cheapest option. Get CAI and sound deading material.
Next cheapest option. Give you wife a ride to and from work. This way you will appreciate the noise the engine makes ("what was that you said darling?").

Sam, you see Elf got himself a Lancer. Figured he was a man but inside him lurked a boy racer so he cut off the stick shift, stuck in a filter that Tim Taylor would be proud of, and after living with the car past the honeymoon period wants to return to paradise.

Last edited by navin : 7th May 2007 at 12:04.
Old 7th May 2007, 11:53   #55
Team-BHP Support

Umm, why don't you go visit a Tata workshop or a body shop with battered safari's indica's? If you don't want to pay anything go late at night.
Indigo etc., have a very very thick fiber thingy at the bottom of the boot lid. It really kills noise.
Lift up the bonnet of an indigo and then listen to the racket it makes, the difference is unbelievable.
So if you can source that mat from somewhere, it will make a lot of difference.
Old 7th May 2007, 12:35   #56
elf
BANNED

Oi! Rickshaw-Revvhead! Glad to see you're back in town. Have you sorted your ICE issues yet, or are you now finally going to paint a yellow stripe down your Baloney's sides? Chhikk-chhikk! Chhikk-chhikk! Chhikk-chhikk! with your Baloney pottering around the suburbs looking for passengers...

What was that whole bit about shins & casting the first stone...?

And besides, this thread was born of the discussion we had the other day, wherein you too wanted a quieter, more effective intake.
Old 7th May 2007, 13:02   #57
BHPian

you really have a 3 complex na, 3 cylinders, 3 wheels......
i wanted a more effective intake, i always had a quite civilized one.
anyhow, since your intake is as big as your mouth, and you wanna reduce the racket the intake makes, i'm hpoing it will have a knock on effect on the mouth as well.
Old 7th May 2007, 13:57   #58
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
You want power. You drive in bumper to bumper traffic. Pray may i ask why do you need the power? ...
For that little gap in traffic that one finds often, yet disappears when one gets there. Also, I don't want to feel my engine strain itself. Just want it effortless. Effortless torque from 500 RPM onward.

Quote:
... you once was a boy racer and you want to believe that someday you'll be one again ...
Nope. Never was a boy racer. Drove like a madman for quite a bit in the 90's. But the car was always close to stock. No spoilers, airdams, noise, whistles or coffee grinders.
Quote:
... Sell the Lancer to some Enginve-Vengine guy and get yourself a used OHC Vtec with the proceeds. ...
Actually examined a few OHCs & VTECs before buying the Lancer, but chose the latter due to it's solidity & finish. I know I'm gonna get flamed by at least 6000 members now.

Quote:
... and after living with the car past the honeymoon period wants to return to paradise.
Don't we all, buddy, don't we all...

Another reason why the Lancer was chosen over others was the mod potential & platform suitability for the purpose. I still stand by that. Just want it done without the present racket.
Old 7th May 2007, 14:04   #59
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
... have a very very thick fiber thingy at the bottom of the boot lid. It really kills noise. ...
... So if you can source that mat from somewhere, it will make a lot of difference.
Thanks for your input, tsk. The idea sounds good. Though why I need to skulk around in the early hours around a shady Tata showroom is beyond me. I'd rather go during normal working hours.
Old 7th May 2007, 14:10   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for your input, tsk. The idea sounds good. Though why I need to skulk around in the early hours around a shady Tata showroom is beyond me. I'd rather go during normal working hours.
I doubt they will sell the mat. If you have some contacts with some Tata showroom, you can buy the mat.
If you have some friend with a 2002 late - 2003 early DLX indica, check out the plastic noise reduction engine cover Tata sells. It fits snugly over the engine head leaving around 2cm of space below it. That period DLX's sound quieter than my DLS indica due to this additional contraption.
If you find the underhood damping mat too small, you can get the one which fits on safari. Its thicker and does a better job in muting the any kind of sound from engine bay.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks