Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2009, 11:26   #91
Senior - BHPian

@ Sunilb - Excellent Steering Wheel design. The Black leather on the sides will save your hands from getting blisters (that come if you use a wood/metal steering wheel all day in city driving). At that price its a steal too!

Just a word of advice. Remember to periodically clean the shiny metal parts with a strong agent like Brasso. Otherwise sweat and other body oils will very quickly tarnish the finish, and it will be difficult to get back.

@drvhplyevraftr - What you're facing could be due to an initial bedding in problem (as your installer said). But beware that it could also be an installation defect. If the problem doesnt go away in 2-3 days, go back to the guy (or preferably another mechanic) and ask him to do a fresh install. We dont want a situation where the steering jams in your hand or becomes loose while driving.
Old 13th July 2009, 12:12   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
@ Sunilb - Excellent Steering Wheel design. The Black leather on the sides will save your hands from getting blisters (that come if you use a wood/metal steering wheel all day in city driving). At that price its a steal too!

Just a word of advice. Remember to periodically clean the shiny metal parts with a strong agent like Brasso. Otherwise sweat and other body oils will very quickly tarnish the finish, and it will be difficult to get back.
Thanks for the advise buddy. I really need to keep the wheel maintained (especially the beautiful stitch line) from the greasy hands of the mechanics who are least bothered to care for such things. Have'nt thought of a solution yet but you guys can advise on it.
Having a general use leather polish should help maintain the leather grip.

Im coming back this weekend and very excited to have it installed. Will post the details soon.
Old 13th July 2009, 12:23   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Anyways, I installed one yesterday, dont know which company but it says "F1 sports" in the horn pad and costed me 1.8k. I have driven it for only ~ 30 kms so far. The steering has become hard to steer where as I wanted and expected it to be lighter. The guy who fitted says it should be ok in a few days, not sure if he meant I will get used to it in a few days or it would become lighter in a few days. Any thoughts on this?.

Thank you.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1354558-post65.html
Old 13th July 2009, 12:48   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
@nitrous - I agree that the effort required is more - interms of rotations required but at the same time it should not be hard to rotate the wheel isnt?. I might be exaggerating a little bit here but to give an idea it looks like the "power steering" has suddenly lost its "power". The smoothness has gone down and I hope it doesnt stay this way. If this continues I might go back to my OEM steering itself. Otherwise the drive is fine, the steering responds to my moves etc.
Old 14th July 2009, 15:55   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Can you post some clear pictures of the 400 rupee hub?
Attaching pics of the Hub for the OHC. Its a China make one.
Attached Thumbnails
After Market Steering Wheels-hub_3.jpg  

After Market Steering Wheels-hub_4.jpg  

After Market Steering Wheels-hub_5.jpg  

Old 14th July 2009, 16:11   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
@nitrous - I agree that the effort required is more - interms of rotations required but at the same time it should not be hard to rotate the wheel isnt?. I might be exaggerating a little bit here but to give an idea it looks like the "power steering" has suddenly lost its "power". The smoothness has gone down and I hope it doesnt stay this way. If this continues I might go back to my OEM steering itself. Otherwise the drive is fine, the steering responds to my moves etc.
Simple physics,sir.
Try pushing a door open from near the hinges.
I don't see why a steering wheel needs to break-in. You're most probably going to move back to your OE steering.
I'd like to know one thing. Can you measure with a tape the exact diameter of your aftermarket steering wheel in mm and post it on here?
Old 15th July 2009, 01:42   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Simple physics,sir.
I don't see why a steering wheel needs to break-in. You're most probably going to move back to your OE steering.
I'd like to know one thing. Can you measure with a tape the exact diameter of your aftermarket steering wheel in mm and post it on here?
I suppose what you are hinting at is that the OD of his A.M. steering is smaller in size which gets your hands close to the rack axis line when turning the wheel thereby requiring to put in more effort.
Old 17th July 2009, 10:41   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Simple physics,sir.
Sorry for the delay. A classic case of tape not being there when I remember to measure and not remembering to measure when I was carrying the tape.

Anyways, the OEM steering from end to end is about 380 mm and the AFM steering is about 320 mm.

Its been few days and I think I have gotten used to this steering, still find it a little too hard though especially when reversing and parking in tight spots. However due to the smaller steering wheel size, I am able to find a more comfortable driving position. The OEM due to this longer and wider size used to hit my knee when I sit upfront and when I move the seat back I had to stretch forward my hand to reach the steering. I guess I will continue to use this AFM wheel for a few more days before I take a decision.
Old 13th December 2011, 16:48   #99
BHPian

Re: After Market Steering Wheels

Revoking an old thread. How can I ascertain that a steering wheel swap can be done without the need for a hub? Is it true that the chances are better if the OEM is the same?
I was enquiring with the guys at Maruti Service about the possibility to swap my 2-spoke Esteem steering wheel for a Baleno 3-Spoke wheel, but they did not sound like they knew much about that.
I'm not very keen, but want to know if someone has experience having done so.
Old 19th August 2014, 16:46   #100
BHPian

Re: After Market Steering Wheels

I got hold of a used steering wheel that says 'Nuova Raid - Made in Italy' in the back. Has anyone heard of the company? Googling didn't produce much result.

P.S:- I bought it primarily because I wanted the hub (suitable for Premier Padmini) and the seller was not willing to sell the hub alone.

Most Viewed