Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2008, 10:06   #76
BHPian

Heard on radio that there are anti-glare glasses available for night driving. Has anyone tried it?

But front side glare has reduced after I got Garware Icecool Shield, but one negative is that visibility also has reduced slightly in night.
Old 26th January 2008, 19:50   #77
BHPian

Hey,talking about anti-glare glasses for night driving,I remember few years ago there used to be yellow glasses for night wearing.I tried it for a minute,it had just reduced the bright headlights to dots and it was much easier to see on the road.

Are these still available? These would do great IMO.

cya
A
Old 26th January 2008, 22:01   #78
Senior - BHPian

Apart from reducing the HLs to dots what was the general visibility with those glasses? If those yellow glasses could cut out the light to that extent, then suppose you were driving on a dark road then light from your own HLs would be practically non-existent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Hey,talking about anti-glare glasses for night driving,I remember few years ago there used to be yellow glasses for night wearing.I tried it for a minute,it had just reduced the bright headlights to dots and it was much easier to see on the road.

Are these still available? These would do great IMO.

cya
A
Old 27th January 2008, 22:41   #79
Senior - BHPian

Today, I alomst hit an idiotic guy. He was driving with only one head lamp and that too with high beam. This was a white termite (indica taxi). Idiots, nowadays many people even the lorry drivers will drive with only one headlamp with high beam.
Old 28th January 2008, 03:02   #80

I Use Amber Lens Glass from Oakley and keep 1 Million Candle torch Handy.

High Beam driving is nuisance on any road.

In US almost all trucks have a spot light which they use to warn the Cars/Trucks trailing them with High beam on.
It happened once to me when unknowingly i was keeping the high beam on and the Trucker in front of me flashed his spotlight on to make me realize my mistake.

While driving in India at night, i use the amber lens on my Oakley half Jacket and keep the one million Candle Spot light handy to use the same technique on erring drivers. This technique has worked all the time.

Oakley Half Jacket XLJ Sunglasses - Polarized from Backcountry.com
Old 28th January 2008, 09:57   #81
BHPian

@snaronikar....

I just could not help & smile, but recall a similar incident almost 20 years bak.....for those of you from b'lore, you must be aware of the world famous IIM-Blore. That stretch almost 20 years ago was a no-mans land. The road from East end to bannerghatta was always empty except for sand laden lorries & BTS buses.

It was 8 in the evening & I was cycling in the middle of the road & I suddenly noticed a vehicle with a "single headlight". Hoping it to be an auto OR a two wheeler & I almost came near to it at a striking distance of 20 mts. Since I was on the decline & the lorry was on the incline, the lorry was at a snail pace. Suddenly, out of the blue, I saw the second light turned ON. I then realised that - YES, its a four wheeler, took a abrupt left & fell on the pavement.

Thanks for bringing those memories bak...b'lore was indeed a garden city then, with hardly any vehicular traffic to talk about & greenery every where.
Old 28th January 2008, 10:58   #82
Senior - BHPian

@m3 07: This happens almost everyday. They will purposely switch on only the LH headlamp with high beam. Leaving many of the people at the mercy of their driving.
Old 28th January 2008, 11:19   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
They will purposely switch on only the LH headlamp with high beam.
Why? What is the purpose? I have seen this behavior in some cabs too. Initially thought the other light gone kaput, but it is not. Do they get any increase in FE because of this?
Old 28th January 2008, 15:03   #84
Senior - BHPian

As mentioned above, anti-glare glasses are one of the best companions for the night driving. Branded polaroid glasses cut down the glare to a very pleasing level which do not affect the visibility nor confidence. I got convinced of this fact few times when I used my 'Polaroid' glasses. Oncoming high-beam will be reduced to a manageable level which lets you drive ahead without worries. I use power glasses, so using a polaroid glass involves 'contact lenses' which I hate to wear for long hours. So, people with normal vision will defenitely benefit from anti-glare glasses at night.

Now, coming to single head light on cabs and trucks in the night, I am curious to know how they do it !! Do they have seperate switches for left and right head lamps ? Whatever control panels I have seen in vehicles is equiped with single switch for head lamps. So, as per my limited knowledge, single head lamp is ON when one side is faulty/ fused. Could anyone clarify the technical side of this ?
Old 28th January 2008, 15:14   #85
BHPian

I have done this once, and while it did not really work, I felt pretty satisfied. It was a guy behind me who had his highbeam and his foglamps glaring at me through all my mirrors. First I tried tapping rhythmically on my brake pedal to give him some sort of a hint. But he did not respond. He did not even try to overtake me. Guy kept on going slowly, blinding me.

So, I slowed down even further and also blocked the way. He kept trying to overtake me as he saw a long empty stretch of road before me. After a while, I moved to the side, and he came alongside to shout at me, and I told him quietly, that he should be using only the dipper. He did get the point, for though I am not sure, I felt like he turned some light off as he went past me.

Last edited by prabuddhadg : 28th January 2008 at 15:18.
Old 28th January 2008, 15:15   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
So, as per my limited knowledge, single head lamp is ON when one side is faulty/ fused. Could anyone clarify the technical side of this ?
Some of them are blown lights, but i believe not all of them are... This is my guess. I guess they are switching one of them to save some load on alternator and hence some increase in FE. This is a wild wild guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolero
i use the amber lens on my Oakley half Jacket
In night?!?! I see that it is a tinted one.

I wear power lens. And i have and option to get one of these from dubai with power lens and i was looking for exactly this half jacket model and was originally planning to use for day time drive only.

Last edited by gkrishn : 28th January 2008 at 15:21.
Old 28th January 2008, 15:29   #87
Team-BHP Support

Nope, nobody is saving alternator voltage.
Its just that the high beam is blown.
In halogen lamps failure is almost always in the high beam filament.
So when the high beam blows, these guys carry on.
A car guy will change the bulb when high beam blows, but a taxi/lorry guy will continue as long as even a whisker of light can be extracted from the lamp.
A million candlepower spot lamp is a good idea
Old 28th January 2008, 17:26   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Why? What is the purpose? I have seen this behavior in some cabs too. Initially thought the other light gone kaput, but it is not. Do they get any increase in FE because of this?
Nope. I think, they believe they are saving the battery life by doing this.
Old 28th January 2008, 17:34   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Nope. I think, they believe they are saving the battery life by doing this.

Hi ,
I think it is a after market feature to switch on only one head lamp.I have noticed it in quite a few "T" taxi's.Yes it fools you when you first see them riding with one light.
Old 28th January 2008, 17:56   #90
Senior - BHPian

Better lights

I upgraded the lights in my vehicle by about 40% brightness on high beam and I pointed the lights slightly to the left of the stock position. This way when an oncoming vehicle blinds me I can hit the brights and pick out the left side of the road without blinding others coming at me. Mostly it works.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks