Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2011, 20:02   #181
BHPian

Re: Revenge on full beam blinders

how to do the stock company fitted fog lamps effect ?
I mean how do they blind the on coming traffic?

cause the throw of fog lamps is low in height and short in distance.
Old 3rd February 2011, 20:17   #182
BHPian

The best solution: Buy the most powerful headlamps available, flash them on people who refuse to use the low beam. Problem solved .

I have done that and is pretty effective. Works on almost every moron who drives with high beams on. But obviously there are some thick skinned idiots who still don't get it .
Old 3rd February 2011, 20:24   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
What happens when there is a person behind you who simply flashes his beam or keeps it on high beam? I dont think there is any option other than losing him or giving him way is there? Such people are on the increase nowadays too.
Fix a mirror or reflecting material (not one but more) on your rear wind shield, the hi-beamer from behind will get it back with a multiplier effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I experienced the same some time back. Here's what I did, I gave him way and followed him very closely. He was driving a Fiesta with not so bright high beams (Thankfully). I closed his tail and switched ON my high beams. Soon after, he switched OFF his high beams when he got to taste his own medicine. All thanks to my Projector Headlights with HIDs.
These blokes do not understand this and take it as a usual stuff. basically he is a pucca idiot.
Old 3rd February 2011, 21:06   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What happens when there is a person behind you who simply flashes his beam or keeps it on high beam? I dont think there is any option other than losing him or giving him way is there? Such people are on the increase nowadays too.
I have tried few things. Rolled down my windows and showed the usual "Please, no high beam" action which worked lots of times(mostly with truckers and bus drivers who understand).

Secondly I flip the mirror and use the reflection to have a more toned down head lights

In Jetta, the mirrors are anyways photochromatic with a flick of a switch
Old 3rd February 2011, 21:28   #185
BHPian

seeing most of the replies around here, I have become confused. our esteemed members are solving the problem or complicating it more with bring more high-tech weapons to the field.

someone flashes a headlamp, I flash a halogen. someone flashes a halogen, i flash HID. Someone flashes HID, i flash xenon and so on...

i think the only solution that is available is to become gentle ourselves and hope that others will follow suit. I generally obey the rules and go to low-beam the moment i spot an oncoming vehicle on highways, most of the time, the oncoming driver follows suit. Some don't but I do not let them dictate my actions.

It is within the city that it is a bigger problem and it seems there is almost no solution. in cities, the roads are generally well-lit and there is hardly any need for high-beams but people who have spent so much dough on buying those high tech lights want to use it anyway. I hope someone here can suggest a viable solution to this problem.

and we are all guilty in some ways, like most of us have bought high wattage bulbs for our cars that strictly says on the pack that "not for normal road use" and there are lots of people using Big HELLA lights. In this case at least, it is my personal opinion that let us start treating others the way we want to be treated and then hope....

saying anything about rules, police etc. is futile. so thinking in those lines is leading us nowhere.

cheers
novice_alto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2011, 09:06   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Being gentle ourselves wont work here dude.. atleast in cochin. Here, rules are meant to be broken. Rash driving, high beams are a usual sight here. Even though they make it strict, we experience the same every day. Finally, who is the loser - We.!

As a matter of being patient and gentle, I have lost 6 OVRM's of my Swift in less than 2 years, 3 accidents (genuine fault of others of which I had to claim once since the whole of left side was thrashed by a bus), 3 mirrors of Fiesta and minor dents. I have even approached the police asking them to take action but no use. So giving these guys to taste their own medicine which is working well.

One guy even stopped his car and asked me about the lights since he distracted me with his high beams. He asked me why are your bulbs so powerful? I asked him how he felt and he apologized for using high beams.!

Anyways, let's see whether they will change.!

Cheers.!
Old 4th February 2011, 09:45   #187
BHPian

Well said Novice Alto! We can set examples as to how to follow rules for ex we can wait till light turns green, give way for pedestrians, condemn people crossing road while talking on phone, drive in low beam in city limits always, being considerate towards oncoming traffic while coming out of a smaller road etc.

Saying sorry if one were to be a cause for the other person to brake is also a good mannered driving.

In the past six months or so, I have never used horn either in two wheeler or four wheeler while driving in the dense Mumbai City Traffic. If one has the will there is always a way!

Drive fast ! Drive Safe !
Old 4th February 2011, 11:46   #188
Senior - BHPian

^ Horn is there for a good reason, especially while approaching blind turns and to warn pedestrians. Not using it at all seems silly. If you meant not honking at traffic for no reason then thats great
Old 5th February 2011, 10:34   #189
BANNED

i have stopped my car in the middle of the road to ask the guy behind me to lower their high beams but for cars coming onto you with stadium lights, arrrggghhhh
Old 6th February 2011, 09:53   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Unfortunately, many a time, when my dad or driver flashes the high beam on a blind curve, narrow road or to overtake, the guy in the opposite direction more than often, flashes at us back, and I seriously fail to understand why.
either the opposite driver wants to pass by before you overtake or he is signaling you to be careful of a dangerous obstacle.
Old 6th February 2011, 09:59   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
either the opposite driver wants to pass by before you overtake or he is signaling you to be careful of a dangerous obstacle.
No, this is not what I'm talking about.
For eg., on Airport road, if we try to overtake someone in the right lane by flashing our lights, some random guy on the other side of the road, who has no business whatever, signals back at us!
And seldom have we seen a dangerous obstacle after someone signaled back at us.
Old 6th February 2011, 10:06   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
how to do the stock company fitted fog lamps effect ?
I mean how do they blind the on coming traffic?

cause the throw of fog lamps is low in height and short in distance.
What I want to say is that People are mindless about use of headlamp. What is the use of fog lamp in Bangalore in month of February? Its just ignorance and "to hell with what others say".
Old 7th February 2011, 14:15   #193
BHPian

There are some thingsabout head lights and high beams that we should be conscious about
1> Some of the after market lamps , halgen , HID , xenon etc are not approved as per the motor vehicles act. More over, the drivers of the cars like us should behave more responsibly by not installing such lights as they are a disturbance for other road users. Do car owners have absolute right of the roards? There are the two wheeler users and pedestrians who are simply blinded by these lights even on low beam. I have seen a gentleman go off the road into a ditch because of an oncoming car that had full beam on
2> If you need to overtake from the right side of the vehicle in front of you, then use the right indicator and a couple of flashes before overtaking to let the guy in front of you know that you are overtaking and the oncoming traffic will also know that you are overtaking. I have done this to good effect and the oncoming vehicle has slowed down 9 out of 10 times. If the gap is too small to attempt the overtake, then back off and try later. Patience is a virtue which all of us dont have, but we can start somewhere.( Where there is a road divider, you dont have a problem at all )
3>Drive sensibly and beleive it or not it helps. You dont have to be like the guy who uses thefull beam or flashes unnecessarily. Just for the record, if you are the slower of the two vehicles, it is an offence to obstruct the guy behind you from overtaking. If he has a fair opportunity of overtaking you, you must let him do so or you must signal to him to slow down if there is an obstancle in the front which he obviously cant see. Try using the parking lights in the car which indicates that you are slowing down or if you are a two wheeler, stretch out your right arm and wave up and down which is a standard slow down signal
Old 16th February 2011, 15:52   #194

Most responses I read above are about flashing beams etc. These actually don't work since people who are ignorant &/or careless about full beam will either not understand why all of a sudden you flashed lights (ignorance) or why you are shouting at him...plus, if you flash brighter lights & he's blinded, there are chances that he may drive into you.
The best way is, not to take law into your hand. Let us all lobby with the Traffic dept to fine full beam guys. It's easier & a cool headed decision.
Old 16th February 2011, 17:38   #195
BHPian

This is what I did on Sunday:
This Santro guy with alloys is driving with the high beam blinding me who was in the passenger seat of my Fiesta. At the next signal I tried getting off to set him right, but I thought it was not a good option. So, I asked my driver to slow down, let him go ahead and then to signal at him. I.e: Shift to the high beam for 2-3 seconds, and then shift back to the low beam. I made him do this about a dozen times, and guess what! The Santro guy shifted to the low beam!!! He was driving rather sedately and wearing his seatbelt, so I guess it was just a human error.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks