Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2008, 17:57   #61
Senior - BHPian

Lot of practical solutions to a major problem here. I liked the posts that suggested practising patience and expect everyone to be rude etc. at the same time listening to Holy stuff in the car while driving. I agree to all the good solutions posted here.

Just a simple question: 'How many can keep their patience when you are totally blind with a powerful oncoming light which puts your life itself to risk' ? Yes we all remember our loving family, grand parents, wife and kids while driving and nobody wants to miss anything in life caused by a careless moron on the road.

Coming to a 100% practical solution which I find very appropriate in one of the posts above (courtsey to the member): NHAI can make a difference for sure. On-road education is the only solution practical here. If they can come out with some eye-catching hoardings that conveys the idea at specified areas, as well as the city traffic department follows the suit, there can be a lot of difference in the issue (atleast the ignorant lot will start changing themselves which will eventually enlighten others too). Hope T-bhp can take some initiation to convey the message to both authorities. How and when could be discussed here itself, atleast we can create some awareness in the public.
Old 24th January 2008, 18:07   #62
Senior - BHPian

High beamers

Sorry for being immodest; I'm a very safe driver, always stopping before the stop line at a signal and slowing down at zebra crossings and driving mostly either on parking lights or the fog lights installed in the bumper of my Scorpio. On the highways it is always the low beam and dipper is used and reciprocated with the oncoming vehicles.

But there are morons and then there are morons. Any amount of visual indication to dip their high beams doesn't seem to register on them at all. they make driving in the night a nightmare rather than pleasure.

For them I've ample ammunition and not being a Gandhiwaadi, like to pay back in the same coin or rather a big coin. I've HIDs in my headlamps and have roof lights as well whose 4 beams jointly throw 220w superwhite light.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/400...flightskx7.jpg

The morons get this treatment and learn their lesson instantly...
Old 24th January 2008, 19:29   #63
BHPian

Please look at this picture

My SPGM gallery

As you can see I have a total of 6 head lights capable of throwing 660 Watts of power on to someone's eyes.

I even contemplated mounting a Flash from an old camera that I can keep flashing every few seconds .

That still does not resolve the core issue of the anger the oncoming person induces in me (or you).

Quote:
Just a simple question: 'How many can keep their patience when you are totally blind with a powerful oncoming light which puts your life itself to risk' ? Yes we all remember our loving family, grand parents, wife and kids while driving and nobody wants to miss anything in life caused by a careless moron on the road.
I know it is difficult, but giving into the anger gets you nowhere. I used to get very wound up and the worst part is that the agression you create on the road, you carry with you into your home. I decided that I am not going to let any a$$h0le reduce the quality of time I spend with my near and dear ones.

I decided that it is not worth getting into the sewage along with those morons and fight. Every time I get angry , I remember why and for whom I should not be angry. It needs practice , but it becomes a habit . Passive driving , just like aggressive driving can be cultivated into a habit.
Old 24th January 2008, 23:21   #64
BHPian

High Beams

Hi,

I have the same issue in every NH High Way i go . Its hard to drive and blind folds you for few seconds and any thing can happen . Once jumped a Road hump at 120 in my Swift
Old 25th January 2008, 00:28   #65
Senior - BHPian

I hate it too & have upgraded the headlights on my car accordingly to deal with such morons but what to do some people refuse to learn.

Hence, the best thing I've found is to try & concentrate on the road ahead while these high-beamers drive past you & with enough experience (I do this virtually every other day) you'll stop getting irritated & I can now see the road ahead pretty well even with these morons aroud, it just takes a bit of patience & practice.

But, that does not mean that my blood does not boil when I see vehicles coming from infront with their beam focus totally screwed.
Old 25th January 2008, 00:46   #66
BHPian

have you seen these tata aces which have one light in high and one in low, so when they dip the light switch the other one goes into high and this one goes into low....... totally pointless........
Old 25th January 2008, 01:33   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
10 years ago, most of the drivers never knew how to use their indicators for turning, how to negotiate round-abouts (circles..!!!) and now most of them are aware of these things.
You are absolutely correct on the first part (indicators), and absolutely wrong on the second (roundabouts). That is my experience in Delhi at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
In western countries, 99% of the people obey the law because

(a) Life is much easier if you obey the law . Obeying the law makes you reach your objective quicker

(b) Fear or punishment as there is Strong law enforcement

(c) Social Stigma associated with behaving like a hooligan

In India these are the same factors that make people Not obey the law.

(a) Life is made hell for law abiding citizens both by their compatriots and by the law enforcers

(b) There is Zero law enforcement based on merit of the offence and Most often law enforcement happens if the Policeman needs some cash to buy groceries or liquor. All of us subconsciously know this. Therefore we hate and disrespect policemen and flaunt the law.

(c) Breaking the law is considered a gallantry in India and is boasted about.
Quite correct. If I may, I would add that in India there is a heightened perception of scarcity of resources, and the need to struggle and fight to get anywhere in life. In other words, we have an ingrained sense of competition drilled into us, stemming primarily from a scarcity of resources brought about by an ever-increasing population density.

This transforms into conduct where one looks out for oneself even at the cost of others. That's why every person must inch forward at red lights, so as to be in front of the person on their side.

But we are seriously going here - so let's just stick to solutions to full beam victimization!
Old 25th January 2008, 09:06   #68
BHPian

In my humble opinion , there is only one practical solution to it , just deal with it. Learn to put up with it.
Old 25th January 2008, 09:42   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my humble opinion , there is only one practical solution to it , just deal with it. Learn to put up with it.
I second that.. The best you can do is give them the same treatment and hope they learn something from it.
Old 25th January 2008, 12:55   #70
Senior - BHPian

Dont give up !!

Quote:
Dear rrnsss, I thank God you were not existing at the time our poor Gandhiji was trying to kick the britishers out of India 61 years back ! You would have defenitely told Gandhiji in his ears "Hey Gandhi, lets just tolerate these b****rds.. lets learn to put up with it ". Imagine what India would have gone through till today !!

Dont think I sound like an arguement. We are to blame for creating habits for bad-cops, we are spoiling our politicians by filling their pockets while keeping ourselves hungry, we are to blame for supporting any non-sense (New year -Mumbai event for example) by being silent and acting dumb. Unless we raise our voices for basic human rights, there is no life here.

None of the readers here will sound patient and write cool if you (atleast once) jumped into a bad pothole spoiling your car, or hit some cyclist or bystander, being blinded by a powerful high beam. Would you ?

If the purpose of this thread is to blame all the morons with high beam and call it a day with a conclusion : "Lets accept them and adjust to it", what changes have we made after spenting so many hours on this topic ?

Many practical solutions are suggested already. Lets take some initiation to put them into practise, defenitely it can make a lot of difference in life. Public Road awareness can be taken as one topic including all similar issues we are facing right now, then something like a display, rally, marathon run, leaf lets etc. can be thought of. If anyone wants to throw some ideas on clubbing up the solution to any of the Lions Club projects or services, please let me know, it will be a pleasure to do something for the society.
Old 25th January 2008, 13:22   #71
BHPian

I first do a dip and dim so that the they understand and when it does not penetrate their buffallo skin, i just put on my high beam with the Fog lamps and drive towards them..

i had infact got into an argument with one Scorpio as well...but whts the use ? :(

One such mentioned here.
God's Envy: Use of High beams in city traffic

i think Police should seriously start putting a check on this and fine them.
Old 25th January 2008, 13:31   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. We need to behave the same way these idiots behave on roads.
Old 25th January 2008, 14:24   #73

Having read through all the posts, and given my own experience on the old GT road (no median !), here's what I'd say..

1. Am upgrading to 90/100s, and get correct beam alignment done
2. For smaller vehicles, @nitrous, it's a good idea.. alongwith the given safety warning. Driving straight onto them scares them sh*^@less mostly
3. I def works to keep looking straight ahead, or slightly towards the left.. the lights keep from blinding you totally, and you recover faster
4. And here's for the the DUI gang.. experientially speaking, alcohol tends to delay the recovery further.. as in, yr eyes remain 'dazzled' for longer when you've had a few
5. And lastly, sleeplessness also causes the same effect as point 4.

Just somethings I'd observed, so thought will let you guys know..
Old 25th January 2008, 16:28   #74
Senior - BHPian

Driving straight into them sometimes could prove catastropic coz, sometimes the driver 'freezes' and presses the accelerator more, with frozen hands on steering wheels.
I should narrate here a real accident of 'freezing' that happened in 1999, in which my friend was killed on the spot.
He was driving a Corolla on a road that had dividers and service lanes. he was entering from service lane into the main lane and somehow he thought he is already on the main lane and turned the car to opposite direction into the main lane itself. It was just noon time and absolutely no traffic on the road either side. After few meters, he realized that he is going in the opposite direction and without looking, he turned the car around.
From nowhere a Suzuki Vitara was coming at around 110 kmph speed with family inside, (a Saudi was driving it). The Corolla came right in front of the Vitara (perpendicular to the road) with about 10 meters gap and the Saudi Driver just FROZE.
The Vitara hit the car on the left door right on the Corolla driver (my friend) at full speed,dragged the car for about 100 meters and turned turtle before the Vitara came to halt.
My friend died on the spot and the Vitara occupants had serious injuries. The Saudi later told the police that HE WAS FROZEN"...

This could happen also to these illiterate, drunk idiots, who might just FREEZE and everybody knows who will be the looser..!!!
I don't support driving into the hi-beamer at all..
Old 25th January 2008, 18:23   #75
BHPian

shajufx > I agree with you . Education and awareness is paramount. However till that golden era dawns on our society, my solutions would provide some interim respite from high BP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks