Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2008, 21:07   #121
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, forgot to add this to my previous post:

Also, tell me what are things that i have to look out for while buying a conti(petrol & diesel).
Old 13th September 2008, 21:40   #122
BHPian

HI badboyscad,

I would suggest the Isuzu diesel which you can pick up for 10/12 k from an old conti and rebuild with the Tavera parts easily. The liners and most of the engine parts are common.
In case you are looking at an alternative engine then the Tavera's engine is a good choice.Some how I believe conti is best driven with a petol engine behind the wheel and the true pleasure of the car in petrol driven. However diesel is your personal choice.

The primary difference is in the way the front suspension is sprung with the additional dead weight of the engine. The diesel has stiffer springs on both ends to compensate the weight in the front and to counter the overhang from the front the rear springs are slightly stiffer.

You can pick up a set of used coil springs from an old diesel conti and is easily available and also ask for the diesel dampers for the front which are a tone stronger that the petrol ones fromn one of the reputed brands. Incedently the front dampers are smaller but more expensive that the rear ones since it packs a lot of punch for its size.

Also you will have to replace your suspension bushes with a diesel kit which is a little stiffer than the pettol rubber parts to compensate for the load.Make sure that they are pressed with care s that they fit in well and als not rip off the metal rubber fusing between them while pressing.

Do keep in touch if you need additional help and suggestions.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Sorry, forgot to add this to my previous post:

Also, tell me what are things that i have to look out for while buying a conti(petrol & diesel).
Miyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2008, 01:38   #123
BHPian

Considerations, while replacing Diesel Engine.

For Contessas with petrol engines, following are the guidelines one should consider while replacing it with ISUZU diesel engines.

1. Front suspension Springs:Petrol contys have soft springs, cos the engine weight is 180kg while diesel engine weights around 270kg, so u need Diesel Contessa's springs.

2. The Radiator needs a modification, cos the direction of intake/oulet hoses is different for Diesel engines, they are just opposite of petrol engines. also hoses needs to be replaced with diesel types.

3. Extra device is needed for heater [Glow Plugs] in electrical wiring, in order to facilitate cold starting conditions.

4. Battery needs a replacement. Petrol engines need 45A-55A battery while Diesel are high compression engines therefore in order to start them a bigger SELF motor is employed which draws more current , so 65A-90A Battery .

5. Air Filter Mounting: If you prefer Dry type Air filter then a mating adapter is required to match the opening of air intake manifold with that of air filter.
But if you prefer Wet Oil type Air Filter then just you need a Hose to connect the manifold to Air Filter.

6. The fendition mountings , especially the left one is required a slight cut of 12mm around interlocking clamps. the rubber mounting are no need to change if they are fine. Its just to facilitate the diesel engine lubrication fuel pump to have some free space in order to accomodate jerks while cranking the engine or vibrations.

7. A new Set of Diesel Filter and its housing is required to be bolted on to the chassis, probably on left side near the battery.

8. All petrol wiring which includes connection to ignition coil needs to be cut, cos they are no longer in use. An additional wire from ignition switch / relay is used for oil pump.

9. The temperature guage sensor is on left in petrol engines while its on right side in diesel engines, so wire needs an extention of around 1metre.

Benefits of Diesel engines over petrol engines

1. More Mileage 20kmpl @ 38rs in diesel engine, Very Economical in running, against 55Rs for 11kms for petrol engines.
2. Higher Torque while climbing steep inclines
3. Better pick-up
4. Higher AC performance on low speeds especially on crowed roads, cos of more power reserve of diesel engines
5. ISUZU's world renowed reliability, clock more than 2 lakh kilometers without any headache from engine problems.
hell boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2008, 11:50   #124
Senior - BHPian

how much can i expect the cost of swap to be in a place like chennai?? (which includes cost of engine[isuzu or tavera engine] + other parts that needs to be changed[like suspension etc] + labour)

chennai members also please throw some light.
Old 14th September 2008, 12:29   #125
BHPian

I think hell boy has said it all and this is the precise treatment you will require for a diesel conversion. Although you will encounter other nicks and knacks and finer details during the actual fitment if you have the big picture in mind like what hell boy has suggested you will have some smooth sailing.
Old 14th September 2008, 20:04   #126
BHPian

To fit a TAVERA issuzu engine in it that good but the problem is where will you score it from buying a new tavera engine will cost atleat more than 1 lac and if i'm not wrong i think you will have to score a new gear box as well. But with the engine that i suggest below is a direct fit on the existing gear box and the engine state below specialy the TURBO one gives you more BHP thant the one in the TAVERA....

ISZ2400CC
Engine Code 4FG1 = 4CY,2380CC,79/4300 OHC
Engine Code 4FG1T = 4 CY,2380CC,85/4300 OHC
The only reason of telling abt this is have personly driven a conti of a friend with a 4FG1T which was so power ful it liked touched 120kmp with ease loved it. And abt the price of fitting labour etc... for the above engine suggested will cost alteast 70k to the max 45k(nego) for only the engine where in mumbai...
Old 14th September 2008, 20:32   #127
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for the useful inputs hell_boy & miyer.

i would like to hear about the costing from chennai guys too.please.
Old 14th September 2008, 21:46   #128
BHPian

Hell boy has some valid combinations. But the key is to get an engine that you will not have problems with regular maintainablility and running for the life of the car. As far as speed goes my conti does 120 on the stock petrol isuzu engine like breeze. Nothing is modified and it is as is whereas as it rolled out of the factory.
I would still suggest to try to pick up a tavera 2nd hand engine from an accident car or the best option of getting the original stock Isuzu engine.
Again the choice is yours and also decided by the availability of the complete engine including matching radiator, lines, mating flanges, rewiring and drive train like hellboy mentioned before.
I will be in the market next week and if luck strikes we can find a decent Isuzu diesel engine for you i.e., if you are interested.
Keep in touch
regards,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Thanks a lot for the useful inputs hell_boy & miyer.

i would like to hear about the costing from chennai guys too.please.
Old 15th September 2008, 09:31   #129
Senior - BHPian

I think you could look at totalled Tavera BPO vans or talk to the Tavera service centers. The BPO vans are totalled every now & then, maybe you get lucky with some such tavera van. The insurance co's sell them as scrap.

I should think Bangalore would have Taveras running as BPO cabs. There are lots in Delhi & NCR but I have no source for getting to them.

Happy hunting

Cheers
Old 17th September 2008, 17:46   #130
BHPian

Hey totaly agree with Ricky63 but do check the engine thoroughly as they drive the car's very badly as i'm a BPO exec have experienced how bad they drive.
Old 14th October 2008, 20:55   #131
BHPian

Check out this conti source orkut communities
Attached Thumbnails
HM Contessa Upgrade-1.jpg  

HM Contessa Upgrade-2.jpg  

HM Contessa Upgrade-3.jpg  

hell boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2008, 21:00   #132
Senior - BHPian

it would better with a bumper, minus the fake scoop. what engine is it?
Old 15th October 2008, 14:45   #133
BHPian

The Engine is 1.8 petrol. I think that the car is still not complete wait for more updates....
Old 15th October 2008, 17:33   #134
BHPian

I like the orange Contessa! It's got some character. What mods?
Old 15th October 2008, 18:22   #135
BHPian

Its a petrol block..with the air intake modified..(Cut to work with the scoop)dunno if it works this way.
Also some of the original stuff like the bypass from the block to the waterbody is missing and replaced with a regular hose pipe.Notice just behind the fan.
The pain job is good and there is a desperate attempt to get a alloy with 5studs 125 pcd.
I have chromed my airfiltert top and also the heat shield over the exhaust manifold.Also good redoxide over the exhaust manifold and entire silencer to prevent rust and look good.
Hope to see more of this car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks