Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2009, 20:29   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
Hi Jaskirat, thanks for the suggestion. could you tell me by how much should I stretch my budget? I thought 8.5K would be more than sufficient :-(

And how much will me mileage drop to? may be to 7-8 kmpl(i'm getting 9-9.5 kmpl now with an FFE)
Hi nim_peter, My estimate is that for Green Cotton you might have to stretch yourself by another Rs. 2.5 -3K.

If installed well, your mileage should not get affected. On the contrary, some manufacturers suggest that the mileage actually improves because of the better combustion. I will leave it for the other experts in the Forum to comment on this matter.

Cheers

Jaskirat
Old 22nd April 2009, 20:30   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baleno7811 View Post
Hello BHPians

I am planning to upgrade my stock Filter to K&N or green cotton on my Baleno .
Will some body be able to throw some light on this as to which model is best suited for baleno , ie model k&n or green cotton . I have free flow exhausts on the car which was done by FRK Racing BANGALORE ( Fazal ) . any information on this is much appreciated .
Once again my recommendation (and it is purely personal), would be to go for Green Cotton Storm. You can get the exact part code from Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited.

Cheers

Jaskirat
Old 22nd April 2009, 20:32   #63
Senior - BHPian

10k for a filter. My my!
I got mine for just a quarter of that. Is there any difference at all in performance or quality?
Old 22nd April 2009, 22:24   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
10k for a filter. My my!
I got mine for just a quarter of that. Is there any difference at all in performance or quality?
Nitrous, your question is a tricky one to answer, and many forums around the world have been debating the benefits of performance filters.

I am no expert in filters but what I understand is:

a) a typical panel filter from K&N or Green Cotton, which would be a direct replacement for a OE part would cost you around Rs. 2.5 - 3K

b) Standard air induction kit with a single cone, similar to K&N 57i series of filters would cost between Rs. 5 - 6K

c) But a CAI i.e., an air induction kit with a heat sheild similar to Green Cotton Storm would be around Rs. 10 - 11K.

The power gain is supposedly the best in CAI type of filters because of the cooler air carrying higher density of oxygen into the combustion chamber and thus resulting in more efficient combustion, which translates in to more power. The gain can be 2 - 5% increase in power depending upon the vehicle. One would need a calibrated Dyno test before and after the performance filter is installed to verify these figures.

I also believe there are several other manufacturers of performance (?)filters whose price may be significantly lower than K&N, Green Cotton, Pipercross etc. But, how good they are in filtering the air is a question mark.

Cheers

Jaskirat
Old 22nd April 2009, 22:51   #65
Senior - BHPian

Jaskirat ji, I mean the performance difference between a 2500 rupee Evotion/Ractive and a 10,000+ rupee jing bang Green kit.
The green CAI has a heat shield for the filter and a flexible hose.

I'm a firm believer in high flow air filters, heat shields and CAI.

Call me a cheapo if you have to. But, I have set my own values for modifications and air filters/ CAI kits past 4-5k is just premium. A few years back on team-bhp, when Ractive came out with 1000 rupee conical air filters made in US by Toucan industries, K&N was shown the thumbs down here for selling the same conical filter for 5-6k.
Today, 10k for a filter ,a plastic covering and a hose?

Plus, the consequences of running a CAI on our flooded roads during the monsoon should be considered. You'll end up with an engine with bent conrods.
Old 22nd April 2009, 23:16   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Jaskirat ji, I mean the performance difference between a 2500 rupee Evotion/Ractive and a 10,000+ rupee jing bang Green kit.
The green CAI has a heat shield for the filter and a flexible hose.

I'm a firm believer in high flow air filters, heat shields and CAI.

Call me a cheapo if you have to. But, I have set my own values for modifications and air filters/ CAI kits past 4-5k is just premium. A few years back on team-bhp, when Ractive came out with 1000 rupee conical air filters made in US by Toucan industries, K&N was shown the thumbs down here for selling the same conical filter for 5-6k.
Today, 10k for a filter ,a plastic covering and a hose?

Plus, the consequences of running a CAI on our flooded roads during the monsoon should be considered. You'll end up with an engine with bent conrods.
Nitrous, you seem to have taken this a bit too personally. My opinion, as stated by me, is not that of an expert, but an amateur.

I absolutey have no reasoss to call you 'cheapo', a) everyone has a right to have an opinion and b) I don't even know you.

Ractive/Evotion might be God's gift to filtration, and Green Cotton an absolute jing bang, but nonetheless, K&N and Green Cotton do fine business.

There is some much more to filtration than high air flow / heat shield, that I will never take the risk of giving a verdict on what is good / premium / jing bang,

Please refer Air Filtration Test, it makes a good reading. (But you might have already read this I guess).

Your comments on impact of monsoon on CAI are well accepted.

Best regards

Jaskirat
Old 22nd April 2009, 23:44   #67
Senior - BHPian

No, I don't take anything personally, Jaskirat. I've been on here for 5 years now.
That cheapo statement was just general and not directed at you.

16k! Holy Molly! Perhaps, I should start distributing some surgical cotton gauze stuff too.
Anyways, Good that you're enjoying, m4ugr8.

Last edited by nitrous : 22nd April 2009 at 23:53.
Old 22nd April 2009, 23:50   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
10k for a filter. My my!
10, My Typhoon Kit costed me 16k

But then The performance increase is just simply mind blowing. You can instantly feel the power going up specially in the low RPM range, and the induction sound is a complete bonus.

Two of my friends now have it on their Civics and are totally satisfied with its performance.
Old 23rd April 2009, 00:12   #69
BHPian

Quote:
No, I don't take anything personally, Jaskirat. I've been on here for 5 years now.
That cheapo statement was just general and not directed at you.

16k! Holy Molly! Perhaps, I should start distributing some surgical cotton gauze stuff too.
Anyways, Good that you're enjoying, m4ugr8.
Glad to make acquaintance with you Nitrous. I am relative new to team-bhp, just graduated from 'newbie' to 'BHPian'. Its great learning from fellow BHPians.

Cheers mate

Jaskirat

Last edited by Jaskirat : 23rd April 2009 at 00:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks