Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2008, 15:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Refurbishing a Mercedes E190

Hi

I am getting my hands on a 190E 1989 model, standing parked at a relative's farm for over the past decade or so. Covered garage etc.

The car is in decent physical shape - as in not accidental, but I don't think the mechanicals are anything to write home about (the fact that it has been in disuse for so long)

My question is - how much would it take to get in another used engine to transplant ? What may be the cost ? Is it worth it ? The bodywork can be sorted out - even thought of making it into a Merc 190 EVO !!!

Considering that similar cars in working order may be available for about 2L or thereabouts..

Any inputs from someone who may have gone this or a similar road before.
Would much appreciate responses.

Thanks

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 18th May 2008 at 15:54.
Old 18th May 2008, 16:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ricky. I had a 190E 1993, Automatic, direct import, one owner, which was abused very badly. The owners moved abroad and left this car to use when they visited India. Needless to say they never came back and when they did they just hired a cab instead of getting this car in working condition. Apart from the fact that it was in non use for more than 6 years it had everything wrong with it. Rats had eaten through the upholstery and the engine was nothing to write home about. I completely restored the car and it cost me a bomb. Upwards of Rs. 3,00,000/- including the parts and body work,paint and upholstery.
Here are a few pics after the restoration.
The car is presently with my friend who is looking to sell it as he has bought himself another Merc.
If interested in a 190E I could help you out.
IF looking for a car for an engine swap, dont touch a merc. Thats my advice.
You can look at the pics on my garage.
Old 18th May 2008, 19:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

@ V-16

Thanks for the reply. Why are you against an engine swap ? Any particular reason ? Bad experiance ?

What price point are you looking at for a 190E ? I may not have to swap the engine but will surely have to look at a re-build. Main worry is the electricals - I think those I will change irrespective of the condition. Parts for this car are easily available I am told. Khan Market Zindababd !!

I may just do this project for the heck of it. May also be looking at an E36 or E46. Basically eventually want all 3 marquees in my garage. Audi, Merc & BMW ! (wishfull thinking maybe, but thinking all the same)

Am also looking at a E220 in perfect working condition. Let's see what finally comes out of it.

As far as the 190E goes my cost is next to nothing, so I may take it forward.

Your advice appreciated. Do give me your inputs as we go along !!

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 18th May 2008 at 19:34.
Old 18th May 2008, 19:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

So a project E36 and a W201 on the same site. Awesome.
Old 19th May 2008, 00:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
@ V-16

Thanks for the reply. Why are you against an engine swap ? Any particular reason ? Bad experiance ?

What price point are you looking at for a 190E ? I may not have to swap the engine but will surely have to look at a re-build. Main worry is the electricals - I think those I will change irrespective of the condition. Parts for this car are easily available I am told. Khan Market Zindababd !!

I may just do this project for the heck of it. May also be looking at an E36 or E46. Basically eventually want all 3 marquees in my garage. Audi, Merc & BMW ! (wishfull thinking maybe, but thinking all the same)

Am also looking at a E220 in perfect working condition. Let's see what finally comes out of it.

As far as the 190E goes my cost is next to nothing, so I may take it forward.

Your advice appreciated. Do give me your inputs as we go along !!

Cheers
Not against an engine swap but against an engine swap in a Mercedes unless you are swapping it with a supra's or something like that for a pure thriller ride.
Engine swapping though sounds and seems easy is not a bucket of roses to say the least. Unless you are looking to swap with a similar engine. That looks highly unlikely as the same engine will not be found in a good condition. Mark my words. I have been through the whole thing and what one is promised by the kabadis, is totally different when it actually is tried out.
Secondly the parts you find in Khan Market will not suffice. Suspension etc are ok but when things go wrong with a car like that they usually go terribly wrong. I tried looking fro a fuel metering device and i had to get it from London. Not available in India, leave alone Bombay, Delhi etc, etc. Then the ECU/ECM will never be locally available.
Dont get me wrong, im not trying to put you off but am stating the facts. A whole rebuild will be expensive so be ready for it. And you will never believe where your money went into the smaller insignificant parts.
As for helping you out, anytime, you dont have to ask. Ill be more than happy to share with you any info you want, once you decide to going for a rebuild or if you need any parts sourced locally or abroad.
Do post pics of the car and the condition of the engine and parts needed. One request, never, never, never go to any mechanic who does not know his mercs well.
All the best. Looking forward to this thread
Old 19th May 2008, 10:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, I appreciate the fact that you call a spade a spade. Thank you also for your offer on helping out with things that may be required in the course of the restoration.

I may be posting pics of the car in a couple of days, to seek opinions on the same. Meanwhile I am also looking at a perfect running E220, who knows ???

As for the transplant....well I would ideally like this project to be a serious "perfornmance car project", so I may be looking at a 300 Bhp kind of power, there are people I have been in touch with, let's see what comes out of it.

Thanks for the response - really appreciate it

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 19th May 2008 at 10:45.
Old 19th May 2008, 12:08   #7
BANNED

Quote:
T Meanwhile I am also looking at a perfect running E220, who knows ???

Cheers
Hi Ricky,

I have a immaculate condition E220 1996 model in Steel grey colour. There are zero scratches and car has the original upholstery. The car is up for sale as of today as we have just upgraded the same for a E240 2001 model yesterday.

Will be putting up the car for sale in the classified's later during the day. Let me know if interested. Am looking for Rs 5.5 lakhs.

Viper
Old 19th May 2008, 14:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi Ricky,

I have a immaculate condition E220 1996 model in Steel grey colour. There are zero scratches and car has the original upholstery. The car is up for sale as of today as we have just upgraded the same for a E240 2001 model yesterday.

Will be putting up the car for sale in the classified's later during the day. Let me know if interested. Am looking for Rs 5.5 lakhs.

Viper

Thanks Viper for the offer. The car would be MH Regd I presume ? I am getting a similar condition car in Delhi for 3.75L, have yet to see it though.
Guess Bombay is more expensive

Cheers
Old 19th May 2008, 16:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey! If you are looking for an engine swap, why not a 123?? Its a Solid Well built car, and has no computers/ECU, so less headache! Unless you are looking for a Bling ride, the 123 is the best i feel!!
Old 19th May 2008, 16:47   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Viper for the offer. The car would be MH Regd I presume ? I am getting a similar condition car in Delhi for 3.75L, have yet to see it though.
Ricky, 3.75L for a 220 is a bargain, a steal -- if & only if, it is a well maintained one. In my opinon, 4.5L - 5.5L is a decent enough price for a well maintained 220
Old 22nd May 2008, 11:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys

Looked at an E 200 in Delhi. Not the best i'd say but running well - just after I drove it, another guy was eyeing it & made a down payment of 2.6L on the spot & rode off !!! GGRRRRR

Looking at a mint condtion E 220 (hopefully today) weather permitting - around 3.5 to 4.0L

Another option is a E 250D, decent condition - around 4.5L

Which to the above 2 make better sense - I need to deciede that once I see & drive both cars
Am also open to a W 123 but has to be top end condition. Have yet to find one.

The 190E will take off in a bit. The owner is out of India at the moment

So right now there is a wide wide choice. Let's see what comes out of it

Cheers
Old 22nd May 2008, 13:13   #12
BANNED

just why are you behind a merc suddenly. i mean you got a new audi. and then you wanted e190 now there are 5 more contendors. lancer project bored so now this is it ?
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:50   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ricky,

Considering that the 190 has been in storage for a decade, it will be cheaper / near identical to buy a used E220, as it will cost you to restore the 190.
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Ricky, 3.75L for a 220 is a bargain, a steal -- if & only if, it is a well maintained one. In my opinon, 4.5L - 5.5L is a decent enough price for a well maintained 220
Quote:
Hi Guys

Looked at an E 200 in Delhi. Not the best i'd say but running well - just after I drove it, another guy was eyeing it & made a down payment of 2.6L on the spot & rode off !!! GGRRRRR

Looking at a mint condtion E 220 (hopefully today) weather permitting - around 3.5 to 4.0L
I agree with Sultan.
Actually Ricky, what a dealer terms as "Mint", more than often turns out to be quite the opposite. I would request you to look at a so called "Mint" car very throughly.
Will be putting my E220 up for sale too, soon. That would be Mint in the true sense of the word.

Quote:
Hi Guys

Another option is a E 250D, decent condition - around 4.5L

Which to the above 2 make better sense - I need to deciede that once I see & drive both cars
Am also open to a W 123 but has to be top end condition. Have yet to find one.

The 190E will take off in a bit. The owner is out of India at the moment

So right now there is a wide wide choice. Let's see what comes out of it

Cheers
You will have to see these cars in the perspective of what you intend to do with them. IMHO a swap on a W124 will be better than the W123 or a W201 (the 190E)

Many a times, dealers will palm off to you imported W124 (E220 or E250) for Indian ones. If such is the case, then you can be sure the cars are not bearing the genuine date of manufacture as shown in the books.
A Simple and easy tip to differentiate the Indian W124 from the Imported variety:
The Inidan W124 never came with a Glove box .
The imported W124 always came with a glove box, whether it did or did not have a passenger side airbag.
So if your W124 has a glove box its not the Indian W124.

Any car you are looking at, if its going to be in top end condition or Mint as we cal it, then remember you will have to pay a premium on it. This is also quite fair. Buying a car in Mint condition and paying a bit extra for it makes sense. At least you have a car which has been well taken care of.

As already said by GTO, the car (190E) has been in storage for over 10 years. Expect everything to be wrong with it. The electricals, mechanicals, paint etc etc. which are quite expensive to source and replace.
If you are genuinely interested in a W201 190E then I could help you procure one from Bombay. There are many good ones available here from 2.25-4.00 lacs.
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hey! Instead of getting this car, why not hunt around for a 190E 2.5?? Gogi, are they available here??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks