Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2008, 22:17   #46
Senior - BHPian

agree with the immobiliser.
thats what would have played up on the jbl swifts..hence the troubles
Old 5th August 2008, 22:32   #47
Senior - BHPian

This is basically a race car part that is mandatory for safety reasons.
It is the "main electric switch". If there is any fire , switching this off will cut off the entire electrical circuit in the car.
The high quality ones are proper FIA/race standard switches. The poor quality lookalikes are just for show.
Take your pick
Old 5th August 2008, 22:38   #48
Senior - BHPian

I wouldnt put this if i were u, First of all, one will have to make a hole in the dashboard to screw this in, Secondly, Do u need to turn the key before you press the switch? If yes, what' the point in keeping the button?? If not, what happens to the security?? Cant anyone break into the car and drive it away??
Old 5th August 2008, 22:51   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First of all, one will have to make a hole in the dashboard to screw this in
This is what happens when a vintage section dude comes over to this side of town. Lol
Quote:
Secondly, Do u need to turn the key before you press the switch? If yes, what' the point in keeping the button??
If installed correctly, lets just say the key would be useless if this switch isn't turned on.
Old 5th August 2008, 23:17   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
agree with the immobiliser.
thats what would have played up on the jbl swifts..hence the troubles
The JBL Swift's did not have any alarm system/immobilisers on them.
Old 6th August 2008, 07:04   #51
BHPian

Swifts are equipped with iCAT,maybe that caused the problems?
Old 6th August 2008, 07:34   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Cant anyone break into the car and drive it away??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My doubt would be security. You could be screwing up any immobiliser fitted by messing around with the starter/ignition switching. You might render the car easier to steal --- or possibly not able to start ever again!!!

That is precisely my point as well. Are we not tempting someone to steal the car just by gaining entry into it?
Old 6th August 2008, 10:08   #53
Senior - BHPian

Check the following lionk out..for cars which come with alar/immobilisers/etc.
Car Engine Push Start Button
Old 6th August 2008, 14:23   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
My conti and the esteem that we have modded both have push button start's but of diff types:

1) Conti has a direct push button start after the ignition key is put on.
2) The esteem has 2 remotes (1 security, 2 starter kit) we can unlock the car and start it without even putting in the key.
@ Keshave, your post might be old, but it’s very interesting. How secured is this type of starting with remote without putting the key in? Do we get some type of security remote which we need to operate before starting the car with the main remote (like fist toggle with one and then command with the other one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Looks and wow factor. Thats it. First car I drove that had the engine start button was the S2000. Sitting with your legs stretched flat, small steering wheel, short throw 6 speed and that red button staring in your face was really something else.
@GTO, Thank you for the guidance, I am looking the WOW factor plus some bit of fun. I think it’s really cool to have something like that in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
If you ask Sideways, Ishan, Ford Rocam and Sam, they will advise never to put that on. It gave so many problems in the JBL swifts. The check engine light kept coming on and the push start would not work after that.
@vid6639, I know about the JBL swifts and I have even red the wonderful Travel Experiences which was written by Ajit. Speaking about immobilisers, it’s a small chip that’s embedded to the key or it’s programmed in such a way that with a particular key the car is turned on and not with other thing right? correct me if I am worng.

I am planning to get this ignition setup in such a way that I should even be able to use it with the key of with the push button. I would not be disabling the main ignition and just use the push button.

Quote:
Check the following lionk out..for cars which come with alar/immobilisers/etc.
Car Engine Push Start Button
@iceman91, Thank you for the suggestion and the link. I was just browsing and I think there is lot of options in Immobiliser Category.

Thanks for every one for your valuable inputs on this topic.

I am looking for something similar to this, where I get 2 toggle switch one for the normal ignition and the other one for turning on the stand alone ECU (which would be installed in future) Please suggest me where I would be able to find this type of Ignition consol. These toggle switch look are killer its like similar to flight switches right
Attached Thumbnails
Push Button Start / Ignition-enerjohncarbonfiber.jpg  

Old 6th August 2008, 14:43   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
Swifts are equipped with iCAT,maybe that caused the problems?
Both the Swift's were 2005 or 2006 models, I don't think Maruti had started the iCATS fitment in those days. Might be wrong though.
Old 6th August 2008, 15:04   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
This push button start things is pretty slick. I wanna get it put in my accord as it has two cigratte lighters too and I can get the orignal honda start red button from the handa website. But the only drawback is that no more valet parking coz those fools wont know how to start the car. Also need to find a good professional to do this for me, dont trust everyone with my accord.
@Sahil, please can you provide me the link? I have stopped giving my car to valet parking guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
This is basically a race car part that is mandatory for safety reasons.
It is the "main electric switch". If there is any fire , switching this off will cut off the entire electrical circuit in the car.
The high quality ones are proper FIA/race standard switches. The poor quality lookalikes are just for show.
Take your pick
@nitrous, my Vtec was a dream for me and I am not going to negotiate with the quality of the switch, if you have any link or suggestion for getting this stuff please feel free to let me know.
Old 6th August 2008, 20:00   #57
Senior - BHPian

these switches can have any options dependin on how you wire it. Check wit raj hingorani. He has these switches.
Old 7th August 2008, 14:50   #58
BHPian

Quote:
these switches can have any options dependin on how you wire it. Check wit raj hingorani. He has these switches.
Thanks iceman91,I will definitely check with Raj and get it installed shortly.

Last edited by vinayvtec : 7th August 2008 at 14:53.
Old 22nd August 2008, 13:00   #59
evo
BHPian

@vinay. Have you got it installed? How is it?
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:05   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the attraction?

How is turning a key and then pressing a button better than just turning a key?

I cannot see any possible advantage, or even any added pleasure in this.

If you just want to increase the knob count, better to do so with some part of the cars electrics that is not quite so vital and sensitive! Buy a more complex head unit for the ice! (they are great for causing accidents, I hear!).

Now, if we were talking keyless entry, where all you have to do is walk up to the car and it senses the card in your pocket, and then all you had to do is touch the button... That's something that could set my gadget-loving nerves tingling!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks