Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2008, 21:21   #1
BHPian

Power steering for Gypsy.

helooo,

>Is it possible to fit a power steering unit in a maruti gypsy/gypsy king?

>can maruti esteem's power steering unit be used?

>is it a difficult task? / will this conversion be trouble free?

>how much will it cost approximately?

i found that someone had mentioned in another gypsy thread that some of the gypsy's came with factory fitted air conditioner. can someone clarify this?

thank you.
Old 8th September 2008, 22:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Already being discussed elsewhere.
yes can be done
Costs you anywhere from 10k-20k depending on the source for parts and labour.

Nothing in life is risk free or trouble free, depends on ones definition of "trouble" and "difficult"
Old 19th January 2009, 09:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it could be converted to PS.

Here is a power steering setup pictures of Gypsy using the Koyo unit (made in Japan). I found this Gypsy in my mechanic's garage, I guess the total cost should not be above 20K.

Power steering for Gypsy.-image138.jpg
Power steering for Gypsy.-image139.jpg
Power steering for Gypsy.-image140.jpg
Power steering for Gypsy.-image141.jpg
Power steering for Gypsy.-image143.jpg
Power steering for Gypsy.-image144.jpg
Power steering for Gypsy.-image146.jpg
Power steering for Gypsy.-image147.jpg
Power steering for Gypsy.-image149.jpg
Power steering for Gypsy.-image150.jpg
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2009, 15:58   #4
BHPian

yes it is possible to fix power steering in gypsy.try going in for Suzuki jimny's P.S kit it will be a good fit for gypsy.further it is not possible to fix esteem's P.S kit as it is rack and pinion.
Old 28th March 2009, 17:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuvijay View Post
helooo,

i found that someone had mentioned in another gypsy thread that some of the gypsy's came with factory fitted air conditioner. can someone clarify this?
AC was given as a dealer option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvar87 View Post
yes it is possible to fix power steering in gypsy.try going in for Suzuki jimny's P.S kit it will be a good fit for gypsy.further it is not possible to fix esteem's P.S kit as it is rack and pinion.
Jimny's Steering box is a near bolt on job ( if u have a oil pump handy)

If you want to use indigenous components, go for TATA sierra's unit. Steering will be feather light.
Old 12th May 2009, 18:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexXxentric View Post

Jimny's Steering box is a near bolt on job ( if u have a oil pump handy)

If you want to use indigenous components, go for TATA sierra's unit. Steering will be feather light.

Very helpful info. Have been considering buying the new MPFI engine Gypsy but lack of AC and power steering was bothering me.

Any idea where the Jimny steering box is available (in or around Delhi?) and mechanics who do a good job fixing it? Why do you say keep oil pump handy?

Is Tata Sierra unit still available and does it fit well on Gypsy?

Would love to hear experiences of people who have fitted PS and whether it is working fine (+ does it void your manufacturer's warranty?)

Thanks
Old 24th June 2009, 12:53   #7

Power Steering Kit for Tata Spacio

Can any one suggest me about auto garage in Bangalore, Coimbatore or around who could help me out for power steering fitment to my Tata Spacio?
lganimys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2009, 19:39   #8
BHPian

Installed Hydraulic Power Steering in one of my Gypsies : Having teething troubles

Hi All
I have done a hydraulic power steering conversion of my of the two gypsies that I purchased from the Army. The modification was executed in Nagpur and the parts were sourced from Delhi.

Post fitting, I have driven the gypsy for around 400 kms and I have come across some issues that I want to discuss with you all.

Firstly , at high speeds, the steering is easily movable . It desn't get hard at high speeds. I understand that this is a common occurance with most hydraulic power steering systems, but I wanted to know if there was some way the steering could be made hard at high speeds with my current setup.

The next issue which is bothering me is a certain noise which is coming from the steering pump-belt assembly when I am doing a full lock on the left side.

Here are some photos and videos to show how I built my power steering setup and some videos which point out to the noise that I am referring to. the third video describes the noise best.

Could you go through the videos and let me know what is wrong and what is the solution for this.

regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh

P.S : I must thank the person in the last pic for her extreme patience and help with the execution of this mod. Three cheers to you.

Attached Thumbnails
Power steering for Gypsy.-koyo-steering-box.jpg  

Power steering for Gypsy.-koyo-steering-pump.jpg  

Power steering for Gypsy.-mechanic-showing-mounting-steering-pump.jpg  

Power steering for Gypsy.-steering-pump-bolted-approximately.jpg  

Power steering for Gypsy.-koyo-steering-box-installation-done.jpg  

Power steering for Gypsy.-steering-pump-installed-custom-mountings.jpg  

Power steering for Gypsy.-hydraulic-pipes.jpg  

Power steering for Gypsy.-front-view.jpg  

Power steering for Gypsy.-my-better-half-involved-project.jpg  

abheekg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2009, 11:49   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi Abheek,

Quote:
Firstly , at high speeds, the steering is easily movable . It desn't get hard at high speeds.
Common problem with most old school / after-market power steering installs. Reason being, they don't have a speed sensitive mechanism. You seem to need new tyres anyways (LHS is bald!), how about installing wider rubber for a firmer steering & for stability? Your mechanism could also be recalibrated to make the steering firmer, but then it would stay firm at speeds low and high.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2009, 19:35   #10
BHPian

Hi Rush
Thanks for your inputs.
Tyre changing is on cards very soon. These are the tyres that I got with the vehicle from the Army.
Will try out your suggestion regarding recalibrating the mechanism and post a report here soon.
What did you think about the noise from the assembly ?
I am more concerned about that.
Others who have a similar setup in their vehicles kindly help me out.

regards,

Dr. Abheek Ghosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hi Abheek,
You seem to need new tyres anyways (LHS is bald!), how about installing wider rubber for a firmer steering & for stability? Your mechanism could also be recalibrated to make the steering firmer, but then it would stay firm at speeds low and high.
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:31   #11
BHPian

inputs from my mechanic at Pune

I spoke to the mechanic who did the initial workup on the 2 gypsies and he is of the opinion that if I reduce the size of the pulley of the steering pump, I should not get the sounds at low rpm . His logic is even at low engine speeds, the small size of the pulley will provide adequate rpm to the steering pump.

I am confused by this . Can you help me out here and show me the way.

regards,
Abheek
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:59   #12
BHPian

here is what i mean by trying to reduce the size of the pump pulley

Pics will say more than words..

Experts kindly comment.

regards,
Abheek
Attached Thumbnails
Power steering for Gypsy.-query-going-small-pulley-steering-pump.jpg  

Power steering for Gypsy.-will-help-if-i-install-smaller-pump-pulley.jpg  

abheekg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2009, 01:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
The next issue which is bothering me is a certain noise which is coming from the steering pump-belt assembly when I am doing a full lock on the left side.
Whining noise at full lock in normal in HPS cars. (check other cars to compare noise level) The pump is basically pushing a full load. Just make sure you dont hold it there for too long. If you want you can fabricate a mechanical stop.

Quote:
I spoke to the mechanic who did the initial workup on the 2 gypsies and he is of the opinion that if I reduce the size of the pulley of the steering pump, I should not get the sounds at low rpm . His logic is even at low engine speeds, the small size of the pulley will provide adequate rpm to the steering pump.
Reducing dia of pump pulley (driven pulley) will speed up the pump not slow it down. I think you need to go the other way to reduce boost.
Old 23rd July 2009, 02:24   #14
BHPian

@mpower Whining noise at full lock in normal in HPS cars. (check other cars to compare noise level)

I will certainly take your suggestion and check out the noise levels of other cars

@mpower The pump is basically pushing a full load. Just make sure you dont hold it there for too long. If you want you can fabricate a mechanical stop.

What do you mean by pump is pushing a full load ? What is a mechanical stop and how can i use it in my setup ?

@mpower Reducing dia of pump pulley (driven pulley) will speed up the pump not slow it down. I think you need to go the other way to reduce boost.[/quote]

My understanding of the situation is :
low engine rpm ---> low Ps pump rpm ----> Less hydraulic fluid being pumped by ps pump ----> stress on the whole ps unit due to less hydraulic fluid being circulated in it ----> some amount of heating happening inside due to this ------> Abnormal noise coming out !!!

if i decrease pulley size ----> high pump rpm despite low engine rpm --------> adequate hydraulic being pumped internally irrespective of situation -----> the noise should go away (but whining may increase) (if at all the noise is coming from the pump)

Please correct me if i am wrong

Additionally could there be any other source from where this noise may be coming from.

One mechanic suggested me to do an overhauling of the suspension and he said that will help. How this will help is the question ?
Refer to the video taken under the vehicle . Could the noise be coming from elsewhere ?

regards,
Abheek
Old 23rd July 2009, 04:26   #15
BHPian

Quote:

@mpower The pump is basically pushing a full load. Just make sure you dont hold it there for too long. If you want you can fabricate a mechanical stop.

What do you mean by pump is pushing a full load ? What is a mechanical stop and how can i use it in my setup ?
This also mean that the turning redius would be decreased. Not a good option.

Quote:

@mpower Reducing dia of pump pulley (driven pulley) will speed up the pump not slow it down. I think you need to go the other way to reduce boost.

My understanding of the situation is :
low engine rpm ---> low Ps pump rpm ----> Less hydraulic fluid being pumped by ps pump ----> stress on the whole ps unit due to less hydraulic fluid being circulated in it ----> some amount of heating happening inside due to this ------> Abnormal noise coming out !!!

if i decrease pulley size ----> high pump rpm despite low engine rpm --------> adequate hydraulic being pumped internally irrespective of situation -----> the noise should go away (but whining may increase) (if at all the noise is coming from the pump)

Please correct me if i am wrong
I have seen the video and this noice is really too irritating. You are using a petrol engine whom RPM is heigher than diesel. I have the same Koyo PS setup on my Jeep and I am quite happy as there is no sound and they are working well with the 31x10.5 R 15 tyre size. There is no sound at all.

These Koyo units are used one and it seems there is some problem with the PS pump that you have. Why do not you simply procure one more PS pump from Mayapuri and check if the sound has gone. It should not cost you more than 2-2.5 K.

Last edited by DesertKing : 23rd July 2009 at 04:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks