Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2008, 11:04   #1
BHPian

Swift DDiS with new RaceDynamics ECU for DIESEL!

Hi Friends,

Just wanted to share an exhilarating experience I had on the Swift DDIs powered by the RACEDYNAMICS ECU (now available for all DIESEL cars)

As we all know, the swift though powerful has a very narrow band of boost, as in one can feel a minute surge only from upwards of 2200 rpm to say a max of 3000 or 3200 rpm.

This often led me to wonder, is there a way by which I could somehow increase the performance and yet not have to take pains to upgrade the turbo and stuff. I always wanted to take the bigger cars and show some petrol’s what a diesel could do!

Last Friday, I got my answer.. A quick call to Karthik of Racedynamics as I knew that he had been working on a ECU for diesel cars and voila!, he just asked me to come over and then it all happened. A freind and I get going and reach Racedynamics and a brand new swift ddis (not even registered) get's operated by Dr. Karthik Reddy and out we go for a spin.

Boy oh boy! Trust me guys! Never really imagined the Swift DDiS could be this fast!! I mean, I already own a OHC Vtec and I know what fast and quick meant..but I wasn't expecting that from a Swift and that too from a diesel!!

The car felt quick right from the word go! With the boost kicking in at 2000rpm and carrying all the way till 4200rpm! The surge was just mind blowing! You just sink in the seats!!

Well! After being on tbhp from a long time and considering that I knew a cent or two about cars, I had something going in my mind, well all the cars would pull in the 1st and 2nd gear, the real test would be to see how the car performed in the 3rd and 4th gear right from say 1500 rpm.. Okay! The next thing I do is with Karthik a friend of mine and me (3 ppl), cruising in 3rd gear, I took it down till 1500 rpm and floored the accelerator, guys! Trust me on this! The performance just left me amazed.. I just that one thing to tell Karthik!! Dude! You rock!! All this while I was enjoying my vtec! Now it was time to get the Swift kicking some dust too!! Anyway carrying on! Slotting the car in 4th and then repeating the same gave me a similar feeling. The power was right there and the super duper surge from 2000 right till 4200 was mind numbing.

I am sure that you guys would be eager to see some figures like the 0-100 and stuff I don't have them off hand now! But will put them up soon or request Karthik to put it up!

But I have one thing that might give you a hint as to what we had on our hands! Check this out guys! Please don’t ask me the speed as I am aware that our car’s have a nice SPEEDO ERROR! Hence I concentrated on the Rpm meter!

A stock Swift DDis in 3rd gear goes from 2000rpm to 4000 rpm in 8.3 secs!

The same Swift DDis in 3rd gear with the ECU did 2000 to 4000 rpm in 7.2 secs!! A gain of 1.1 secs and that too in 3rd! just with the ECU!!

Heck this car didnt even have the plastics of the seats removed! And already it was a whole 1 second faster! Left me wondering what would happen after the installation of a K&N or a HKS filter!

I shall leave it to you guys to do the Maths!

All I can say is.. If you thought your diesel was fast!! You ain't felt anything at all!! Go and visit Dr. karthik and give your diesel a new life!

Cheers
Shrey

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 29th September 2008 at 11:22. Reason: tags edited!
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2008, 11:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Racedynamics are coming up with a generic box for all diesels or specific to Swift ??

Btw you still have time to clearup those tag from the post.
Old 29th September 2008, 11:08   #3
Team-BHP Support

wow good going karthik. now how about telling us the price. i wanna see how this compares to the tuning boxes.
Old 29th September 2008, 11:12   #4
BHPian

Hi Dadu,

its for all Diesel vehicles!

Cheers
Shrey

PS: tag's edited

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Racedynamics are coming up with a generic box for all diesels or specific to Swift ??

Btw you still have time to clearup those tag from the post.
Old 29th September 2008, 11:19   #5
BHPian

i will be keeping a close eye on this thread...looks something amazing is coming up...
Old 29th September 2008, 11:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

which brings the imminent question.
How does it compare with pete's box?
Old 29th September 2008, 11:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A stock Swift DDis in 3rd gear goes from 2000rpm to 4000 rpm in 8.3 secs!

The same Swift DDis in 3rd gear with the ECU did 2000 to 4000 rpm in 7.2 secs!! A gain of 1.1 secs and that too in 3rd! just with the ECU!!
1.1 secs in a single gear with just ECU mods is impressive. Thats an improvement of 13.2% over stock.

Shan2nu
Old 29th September 2008, 12:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
i will be keeping a close eye on this thread...looks something amazing is coming up...
Pete's box is not meant for all Diesel vehicles so comparision can be limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
which brings the imminent question.
How does it compare with pete's box?
Old 29th September 2008, 12:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Can we have the other data- I mean cost, stability/testing (in km so far), availability etyadi?

That said, VERY interesting
Old 29th September 2008, 12:15   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Can we have the other data- I mean cost, stability/testing (in km so far), availability etyadi?

That said, VERY interesting
Hi,

cost I can't disclose, about testing.. Karthik has been testing this for over 4 months now!

Reliability test has been done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
1.1 secs in a single gear with just ECU mods is impressive. Thats an improvement of 13.2% over stock.

Shan2nu
Yeah bro!

the pull was just amazing.. also I forgot to add! the car has 205' eagle F1's..

Cheers
Shrey

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th September 2008 at 20:56. Reason: Please use the MULTIQUOTE button and please post your reply BELOW the quoted post. Thanks.
Old 29th September 2008, 12:35   #11
Team-BHP Support

Thats good news, so how is the installation? Is it plug and play job?
Old 29th September 2008, 13:18   #12
BHPian

Ok,

here another dose for all of us!

The new RD ecu comes with the following features as standard.

1. Installation is a 5 min job (plug n play). Racedynamics provide the connectors as well.

2. The ECU has various features which you can change on the fly

a. Stock (factory) ECU mode

b. Stage 1 performance

c. Stage 2 performance

d. Economy mode

Ain't that awesome, "performance ka performance" and super economy when you want and that too ON THE FLY!

Cheers
Shrey
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2008, 13:25   #13
rippergeo

for serious modders of diesel, this is probably the best news ever.
I have been waiting to hear about this box for the longest time.
are the maps pre set, or does karthik have to do them specially for each car?

also, if the connectors are changed, will we be able to use it in other common rails?

I'm thinking, this will be very very exciting when combined with the boost
controllers that are now available.

can we have pics please? of the install, of the user interface etc.
and yes, Cost please.....
will you let karthik know that there are a lot interested people on this thread waiting for more details?

Old 29th September 2008, 13:43   #14
BHPian

Hi,

It indeed is a great news for all diesel owners!

Like I said the box is for all the diesels and the connectors are supplied by Racedynamics itself.

As of now they have kept the option open, that is to map each car or release the ecu with some preset maps. In anycase it is fully tuneable.

About the interface, again they have not yet decided wether or not to release it, it all depends on the market's reactions is what Kathik had to say.

Pics will come soon!

I have informed Karthik about all the developments and asked him to come and answer some of our questions!

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
for serious modders of diesel, this is probably the best news ever.
I have been waiting to hear about this box for the longest time.
are the maps pre set, or does karthik have to do them specially for each car?

also, if the connectors are changed, will we be able to use it in other common rails?

I'm thinking, this will be very very exciting when combined with the boost
controllers that are now available.

can we have pics please? of the install, of the user interface etc.
and yes, Cost please.....
will you let karthik know that there are a lot interested people on this thread waiting for more details?
Old 29th September 2008, 14:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Well, I wanted to start this thread but never the less...

I am one of the first people to share the experience and being an inhouse competition driver my feedback on every aspect of the ecu is taken seriously.

Here is my honest take on the swift performance;

The car feels much stronger at 2000rpm where the turbo starts to put its act down, the shove is even more evident however the best part is that the transformation is extremely linear once in the boost space! The car easily makes one feel that its straining less and starts to move with a sense of weightlessness, then unlike normally where the surge seems to have died out by 3200rpm the car still pulls hard, real hard till around 4200rpm and the shove is still felt!!! Even at 4200rpm where infact the turbo starts to die out the power surge doesnt let you feel the same, rather it feels like its not gonna give up even at 4500rpm, that is really wonderful in my opinion.

My conversation with Karthik yielded that the ecu is capable of more but is kept conservative keeping in mind absolute reliability, which is infact an everyday call hence no one should have any grevience I reckon.

Overall verdict;

1. Around 10% better acceleration in the 2k-3k rpm range.
2. Around 15% better acceleration in the 3k-4.5k rpm
3. 3 stages enabled over a toggle switch to maximise economy and sport mode both that too over the fly!!!
4. RD reliability (If MRF can use it for their rally cars, everything else is just lip service).
5. Diesel owners- You cant ask for more!!!

Last edited by The Wolf : 29th September 2008 at 14:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks