Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2008, 17:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Nope unless you go for aftermarket ones like what Ricky_63 had gone for initially. But I think he replaced them back to OE as the illumination was even worse than the OE ones.

You can put in the Twin beam INVEX headlamps which look great & have very good light disperssion BUT you will need to change the hood as the older hood cannot accomodate those Headlamp assemblies.

Or just upgrade to 90/100W halogens, they make a world of a difference. The most VFM option for sure

Cheers
Old 13th October 2008, 19:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Ok, first things first. Which model from Lenso? Need to send the model number to get quotes. I think I'll go for 15". I drive very carefully.

Tyre Singh has recommended Yokohoma. Forgot to ask him model number. Anyone?
Yokohama S-Drives are good. They give good grip, are relatively silent, and don't wear out as fast as Michelin PPIIs. They cost quite a bit lesser than Michelin PPIIs too. But for out and out performance, Michelin PPIIs will be best.

As for the wheels, I'd also recommend Lensos. It would be a good idea to go to your tyrewallah and check out what he has available, or can order. You'll have the widest possible choice since you have (wisely, heh heh) decided to go for 15". I've seen a couple of Lancers running Lenso GTRs and they looked great! The Lenso Dash & Blitz are also very nice. You can check out the online catalogue here: eCatalogDX (all models may not always be available, as I found out when I ordered mine).

Sai Mag Wheels is also a big importer -- you might find something you like there also: intro

Last edited by hydrashok : 13th October 2008 at 19:42.
Old 13th October 2008, 20:13   #18
BHPian

@B&T try getting the lenso samurai's they are bronzed rims. look beautiful against black. its part of a new line. rubber my recommendation would be either yokohamas or bridgestones. the s-drives are fantastic. the turanza's are pretty much the same but seem to wear less. though a set of 16's will give it a brilliant look it might be a lil hard. changing the bulbs is a good idea. replacing the unit isn't. and anyway the mumbai mamu's are always on the lookout. so why ask for trouble?
Old 13th October 2008, 21:10   #19
Team-BHP Support

1 lakh budget to get the car cosmetically as well as mechanically sound is just perfect. I am sure this budget is without ICE in consideration. Here's how I would spend them:
  • The suspension in your car seems slightly imbalanced. The stand is not straight. So may be you get a thorough checkup done.Bushings if not changed must have surely worn out. Check the struts, rear shocks for leakages. Get the front + rear springs sand blasted and painted. Inspect lower arms and the mount bushings on it.
  • Although the car has been serviced. Most service centers believe in the top up policy for all fluids. I would do the following from a competitive + known + friendly neighboring garage
  1. Radiator flush. The car was parked in Malabar hill. The inside of the radiator is bound to have rust deposits. Get a good radiator flush from Abro / 3M + required amount of engine coolant from the service center. Check for recommended quantity of engine coolant required.
  2. A complete brake oil change is recommended along with brake bleeding for front and rear. Check the disc brakes and ensure that they still have life. I believe you have new discs and pads but I don't recollect. If its new don't worry about the brake issue you mentioned. It will take some time to set in.
  3. Drain the power steering oil and refill afresh. Check both sides of the power steering rack and ensure that the seals are in order and not leaking.
  4. Since the car has already done a lakh of kms a switch to synthetic oil is not recommended. Stick to company specified oil grade and fill it up.
  5. People usually neglect replacement of gear box oil. Change it. Its worth it.
  6. Get the following parts removed, cleaned and refitted: Intake manifold, injectors, throttle body.
  7. Replace spark plugs if not already done.
  8. Get the engine timing set and ensure that the tappets are set.
  • The list above should take care of the service part of your car. I believe most of it should be done so you can omit it from the list.
  • Cosmetically your car looks pretty nice and is in decent shape. You require a paint overcoat. Some visible dents can be removed. Ignore the ones over the door. They are difficult to fix.
  • Get a good detailing job done on the interiors as well as the engine bay. The bike & car salon guys are excellent. Tried and tested by many members I know.
  • A rust treatment should help if you have the moolah. If you can get some cans of Wuerth rust prevention spray, underbody coating etc. Its easy to use. You can DIY. Complete the floor board with this as well. I am sure you'll be damping it but a spray before damping should prove good I guess. Use the remaining in the wheel wells.
  • Wheels and tyres. I would choose 15" for the lancer. Lenso alloys should cost you around Rs. 16k for a set of 4. Go for Micheline Pilot Preceda 2 tyres. Amy, Vikram, Suhail & myself have been using these for quite some time and everyone has good things to say about them. I wouldn't go over 195 mm in width.
  • Instead of replacing reflectors, You can get the existing ones opened and cleaned at chor bazar to make them look like new for Rs. 500 - 1000 depending on your bargaining skills. I am sure you won't take the pain . 130/100 or even 100/90 Osram night breaker H4 bulbs with an appropriate relay should be perfect for your commuting requirements. Get the headlights aligned. This is to be done using appropriate tools and not by just pointing the light on a wall and setting it up.
  • Don't go for angel eyes no matter how good they look. Whatever we get here are of pathetic quality. Ask Vikram and Ranjan. Both have horrible stories to share after spending a lot on those. Don't smoke your tail lamps either. You don't want a truck parked in your boot.
  • Aftermarket power windows are no good either. They are worse than manuals. Try to check the prices of retrofitting a set from a higher up model. My guess is that it will be an expensive affair.
  • For the horn, try a pair of Hella wind tones. The sound is similar to the Skoda horns. A pair of Stebel Nautilus should work well too. Make sure to get a relay since these horns come as a pair. Should cost anywhere between Rs. 500 - 1000 bucks. Beware of fakes.
  • Use a good quality sun film if your car is going to be parked in the open.
Good luck with the restoration. Make sure you do a thorough check on whatever you get done. It should last you a good time if everything goes in order.

CIA
Old 13th October 2008, 22:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Since the theme here should be "Function over Form", let's forst concentrate on the important bits first. I would mostly agree with MF's list & get the stuff done.

As for the Wheels/Tyres, first swap the tyres & sort out the pulling issue. If it requires suspension work, then that is the first thing that needs to be done. After that, have a look at Lenso, HR etc.. Your best option is to get 15" alloys & 195/55 R15 tyres, tyre OD error is -2.4% btw.

I know the 55 profile is slightly higher & the reason for that is that when your better half drives the car, there is a better chance of the tyres surviving on Mumbai's roads!!
Old 13th October 2008, 23:20   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Instead of replacing reflectors, You can get the existing ones opened and cleaned at chor bazar to make them look like new for Rs. 500 - 1000 depending on your bargaining skills. I am sure you won't take the pain . 130/100 or even 100/90 Osram night breaker H4 bulbs with an appropriate relay should be perfect for your commuting requirements. Get the headlights aligned. This is to be done using appropriate tools and not by just pointing the light on a wall and setting it up.
Kiran I doubt if the Osram Night Breakers are available in130/100 or for that matter 100/90.

I was hunting for them however niether in pune nor in Mumbai i could get anything apart from the 60/55W.
Comparatively they are expensive.

I picked myself a pair of the Philips Rally 100/90 with the Relay and wiring. Its goes great with the stock Lancer Reflectors and makes a world of difference while driving in the night. total VFM
Old 13th October 2008, 23:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I would recommend 17 teens...the car would look bling bling.
Seventeen teenagers, preferably female. That's all the modification one ever needs!
Old 14th October 2008, 14:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Seventeen teenagers, preferably female. That's all the modification one ever needs!
Lol. I'd get a 12" to go with that. Subwoofer, of course.

MF, your suggestions make sense. All the numbered points you make, where should I get it done?

I dont feel very confident about Metro Motors. The amount of attention paid to the cars seems inadequate. The service chap in charge of the car seemed very unsure when I questioned him about the various things that were said to be performed as per the bill. In fact, the car was sent to him NOT for a service, but for changing the engine mounts - which a previous service advisor said, need to be changed. This bloke instead did some other random things (inlcuding service) altogether amounting to 15k and said that engine mount change was not required!

I think the engine mount change was suggested because the car is a little jerky in lower gears and at low speeds. I dont think its related to the engine mounts, I think its something to do with the timing or fuel. Not sure. I have driven cars with engine foundation gone bad. My 800 engine used to almost hit the radiator when I would rev.

I DO want to get the car in perfect working condition before I beef up the exteriors etc. Any suggestions for a good mechanical garage?

Wheels: Not finding time to venture out to the stores. Not able to freeze on a particular model from the Lenso website. So total confusion there. :(
Old 14th October 2008, 14:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
S
As for the Wheels/Tyres, first swap the tyres & sort out the pulling issue. If it requires suspension work, then that is the first thing that needs to be done. After that, have a look at Lenso, HR etc.. Your best option is to get 15" alloys & 195/55 R15 tyres, tyre OD error is -2.4% btw.
For a GLXi, the closest upsize is 195/60R15 with a rim at ET+40 (close to +46 OEM). I have such a setup and it works great. Go for Michelin MXV8 if comfort on bad roads is a priority. IMO, 195/55R15 will have harsher ride and higher OD error but probably still in the acceptable range.
For the alloys, focus on the correct offset.
Good luck with the mods.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 14th October 2008 at 14:22.
Old 14th October 2008, 14:21   #25
BHPian

Congrats Ajay and welcome to the club. I guess you have already decided on the 15 inch rims and tyres, good choice.

Please tell us how many kilometers your car has run.

Reagrding the steering problem - I hope it's to do with the second hand tyres on the car. The steering rack on the Lancer is an expensive part but in my experience I haven't seen it go kaput unless the car has really been abused.

As far as the suspension components are concerned - under normal use the Lancers suspension is good till about 80,000 kilometers after which it will require attention. As Viddy mentioned, HM will not give you the rubber bushes seperately. You will need to procure these from an after market dealer if required.

With regards to power windows I would spend a little extra and get it upgraded by HM. Factory fitted windows are hassle free. It's worth getting a quote from an authorised dealer.

Keep the seat covers as a last priority unless the existing ones are really screwed up.

Painting the whole car should set you back by about 25k minimum. As long as there is no visible rusting you can leave the painting for later.

Cheers.
Old 14th October 2008, 21:26   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
MF, your suggestions make sense. All the numbered points you make, where should I get it done?
No idea about Bombay mechs but I know a few places in Pune who'll do a good job. I usually stand by my car whenever its serviced or for that matter attended to for whatever reason. I am sure Bombay has a lot of competent garages who should be able to help. Check with Sam since he got a similar reconditioning done to his Lancer. A nice thread is here - -

Quote:
In fact, the car was sent to him NOT for a service, but for changing the engine mounts - which a previous service advisor said, need to be changed. This bloke instead did some other random things (inlcuding service) altogether amounting to 15k and said that engine mount change was not required!
Quote:
I think the engine mount change was suggested because the car is a little jerky in lower gears and at low speeds. I dont think its related to the engine mounts, I think its something to do with the timing or fuel.
Check again. I do remember I felt the need for an engine mount change when I just lifted off the clutch for the first time. But I could be wrong, I haven't driven many Lancers.

Quote:
Wheels: Not finding time to venture out to the stores. Not able to freeze on a particular model from the Lenso website. So total confusion there. :(
Pay a visit to Saifee in Santacruz. You cannot make a choice sitting at your desk. Try out a lot and show dissatisfaction to most of the early ones they show. He'll bring out the good stuff in the end after trying hard to sell of non runner old stock. Check the manufacturing month & year on the tyres before you buy them.
Old 15th October 2008, 10:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

Paying a visit to Mr. Anant Pithawala of N1 Racing today, hoping he can identify areas that need attention.
Old 15th October 2008, 15:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Ajay! Welcome to the Lancer club! You've received some good advice already. My 2 cents:
- Headlights: As suggested by many, avoid the angel eyes and stick to the stock setup. If the glass on the existing headlights is a little dull, you can fit new units. Please pick these up from a parts store, and not HM, because HM charges a LOT more for the same thing. A set should cost you 3000 bucks outside. Pair this with 90/100 bulbs (with a relay) and you will be very happy.
- Tyres: 15 inchers definitely look better, but low profiles will hurt the ride a bit. Avoid anything wider than 195... 205+ looks nice, but it will reduce acceleration and FE. My recommendation: 195/60/14 sized Yoko A Drives or Michelin XM1+. The sportier tyres will reduce your comfort levels slightly, and since performance isn't your priority, you can avoid these.
- Painting: A full paintjob (with a colour change) cost me 24k outside HM. If you keep the colour same, you could get it done a bit cheaper. Check for rust like Farhan said. If there isn't any, the painting can be done later.
- Steering/suspension: Hopefully the new tyres will take away the wobble. If not, as vid said, getting a suspension job done at HM could be a tad expensive. If the front feels "soft", get the struts checked and changed if needed. The springs should not be an issue (these last very long).
- I think you had mentioned to me that the car drives pretty smooth. Nevertheless, when you get it serviced at HM for the first time, these are some things you can do (may be repeating some previous inputs here):
Spark plugs checked & replaced if needed, throttle body & injectors cleaned, engine flushed, air & fuel filters replaced, timing checked, radiator flushed, all neccessary fluids topped up/replaced. Also get the brakes checked. Wipers may need changing too.
- Regarding the power windows, you get aftermaket ones (like Autocop), but there's no substitute for OEM in this regard. Would second Farhan's suggestion to get OE ones fitted at HM.

Again, welcome to the Lancer club, and will look forward to some nice ICE going into the car

Oh, and where are the pics?
Old 15th October 2008, 17:26   #29
BHPian

Send the car over to Pune. The gang will do the rest!
Old 15th October 2008, 21:13   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Send the car over to Pune. The gang will do the rest!
x2 we'll ensure that the car gets good ICE as well in Shrivz's expert hands. He can build you a fibreglass Lancer as well.

On a serious note, tune up plus guys are good from what I've heard from many members. Never tried yet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks